Thaifu T - Retirement HERE at last

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:07 pm

Dozer, sorry to hear about your problems, hope they are being resolved. Looks like it's now two beers I might owe you - if I ever get down to Pattaya (probably next Christmas, but don't tell the g/f).
Cheers
Alan
Thaifu T

Hi Alan

Postby Marttaff » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:38 am

Hi Alan
My name is Martin and due to retire early 2008. My GF lives in North East Thailand (Kranuan) and I am currently looking for land there, from what I've seen paddy is the most available, though I am only looking to build a bungalow. I am keen to know all about land, land fill how long before building & plans etc and would like to keep in touch. My email is hughesmhu@aol.com and like you cannot wait for retirement, however you seem tyo be moving quicker than me
Good Luck with everything
Martin
Looking to retire to Thailand in April 2008 any assistance with any problems with visa land purchase or house building greatly received and appreciated. Always happy to chat with those in similair situations. Life is one big learning curve!!
Marttaff

Hi

Postby Marttaff » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:51 am

Hi Alan,
That looks like a good size plot what size is it in Rai?
How long after fill can you build, in my previous post I gave my email address. Am keen to learn all as this is my intention in 2yrs, though I wont have much spare cash till I retire...hope to keep in touch
Martin
Looking to retire to Thailand in April 2008 any assistance with any problems with visa land purchase or house building greatly received and appreciated. Always happy to chat with those in similair situations. Life is one big learning curve!!
Marttaff

Postby Thaifu T » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:25 pm

Martin, no problem regards sharing of information, only too glad if I can be of any help. I haven't got much to add on the info that's already contained in the topics; will be going out to KKC in 4 weeks time, hopefully to sort out an architect. Will report back on this site in early May. By the way a 'Rai' is 1600 sq mts, which makes the land that we have just a little bit under 1 rai.
Also I understand it's not a good idea to put your email address into your replies, leaves you open to receiving lots of spam and other annoying things. Will PM you with my email address.
Cheers
Alan
Thaifu T

Postby Thaifu T » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:28 pm

Martin, no problem regards sharing of information, only too glad if I can be of any help. I haven't got much to add on the info that's already contained in the topics; will be going out to KKC in 4 weeks time, hopefully to sort out an architect. Will report back on this site in early May. By the way a 'Rai' is 1600 sq mts, which makes the land that we have just a little bit under 1 rai.
Also I understand it's not a good idea to put your email address into your replies, leaves you open to receiving lots of spam and other annoying things. Will PM you with my email address.
Cheers
Alan
Thaifu T

Hi Alan

Postby Marttaff » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:37 pm

Thanks for getting back look forward to hearing from you. I take your point on email.
Marttaff

Update - as at 2nd May 2006

Postby Thaifu T » Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 pm

Well I just returned after 3 weeks in KK and now trying to adjust to the temperature difference.

Anyway building news - of sorts. Firstly no pictures this time around, sorry but my camera did not survive Songkran, and anyway there has been no change to the land.
The good news for me is that I have now had proper plans drawn up for the house. The plans are based on the two storey design that I posted in the previous thread. Despite me thinking I would go for the single storey option, as soon as the g/friend saw the other design there was only going to be one outcome. This was probably based on the premise that it's bigger so it has to be better, anyway it still appears to be within my budget so decision made. The plans have been drawn up using Autocad and I do have an electronic copy, but I don't have Autocad at the moment. However I do have contacts and hopefully will be able to post a copy to this site soon.
I'm still waiting for the 'architect's' final estimate of building costs and will let you know, together with what this includes. I think the comment 'everything but not including the furniture' has different connotations between Thai and English. For example I know this estimate will not include the windows.
The g/friend is now going to obtain a 'labour only' quote from some builders and will let me know. However I did see some work a local builder had done in the village and although no building expert I was quite impressed with the finished results; and one of the owners did have positive things to say about the builder.
So that's about it apart from this little anecdote that may help some of you at the planning stage.

I decided that now we had agreement on the plans it would be a good idea for me and the g/friend to go down to the land and I could indicate where all the rooms etc would be located 'in situ' so to speak. Broad smiles as I point at this bit of soil, remove shoes, take one step forward saying 'front door'. Having recovered the shoes then point to my right saying 'toilet - hong naam'; smiles immediately disappear, concerned look and 'no good for Thailand'. 'Why no good for Thailand' says I. 'No good for Thailand' is still the reply. Ah! think I know why; maybe septic tank too close to road or something like that. Point above my head indicating the floor above; 'Toilet for the kids'. Girlfriend nods and says 'good, good'.
I point back to ground level and immediately get a response 'No good for Thailand'. Oh sh*t (so to speak) back to square one. No matter what I suggested the answer was still the same 'No good for Thailand' or 'No good for Thai people'
I will not go on; suffice to say it took me about 24 hours to finally deduce the problem - It is not considered good practice to have a toilet next to the front door (or probably the back door for that matter). 'Offend other Thai people' and 'bring bad luck' were other comments used, and the guy who drew the plans up and did not spot this also got a right mouthful.
Anyway, I dont know if this is a local 'superstition' around Isaan or general for Thailand, but when planning your house make sure the toilets/bathrooms are in the right place.

Cheers all
Thaifu T

Postby dozer » Mon May 08, 2006 5:55 pm

Thanks for the update.

although no building expert I was quite impressed with the finished results; and one of the owners did have positive things to say about the builder.
Great! Getting this kind of recommendation is really invaluable.

Look forward to the continuing story!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby cruzing » Tue May 09, 2006 5:03 pm

As a westerner, I say no good to have a bathroom near the front door or visible from the kitchen either. Who wants to sit there and look at the loo if the door is open! No good house design in the west would be that way. That's not to say you don't find them occasionally.

However, a bathroom having access close to the back door or from the carport is nice for those grubby hard working husbands to clean up in. :wink:

Cruzing
cruzing

Postby Kondee » Tue May 09, 2006 11:29 pm

cruzing wrote:As a westerner, I say no good to have a bathroom near the front door or visible from the kitchen either. Who wants to sit there and look at the loo if the door is open! No good house design in the west would be that way. That's not to say you don't find them occasionally.

However, a bathroom having access close to the back door or from the carport is nice for those grubby hard working husbands to clean up in. :wink:

Cruzing

Yes exactly you point it out on the right way cruzing. :wink:
And i also think that (main) bedroom don´t should be close to living room or close to kitchen. Because kitchen or living room are almost noisy :shock: if you have guests and anybody need sleep. I am right?
Kondee

Update 19th June 2006 - Plans

Postby Thaifu T » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi all, after a bit of messing around I've finally managed to get these in a format that I can put on the site. Needless to say the guy who printed them off did not have a Thai font which is why you get all the ?'s. Anyway by all means have a look, as always comments welcome.
Heading back out again at the end of July to get some prices and choose a builder, will post an update on my return.

Cheers
Attachments
Ground floor view.doc
Ground floor
(115 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
First floor view.doc
First floor
(184.5 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Side elevations.doc
Side elevation
(82.5 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
End elevations.doc
End Elevation
(90.5 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Thaifu T

Thai design

Postby john squire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:20 pm

The front elevation looks nice,a litttle bite like a church but nice.What is the room behind the kitchen.Are the living room,lounge,and stair well done on an open plan design if so you have a few problems
1) Keeping it cool -we looked at a simillar large open plan lower floor at kroonphit house it was a hot day ,the lounge /sitting room had 2 24,000 btu air cons going full blast ,making a hell of a noise ,a ceiling fan was on in the lounge,and it was still hot.
2)The design makes life easy for moskitos ect
3) THe design is not very original

Thaifu T wrote:Hi all, after a bit of messing around I've finally managed to get these in a format that I can put on the site. Needless to say the guy who printed them off did not have a Thai font which is why you get all the ?'s. Anyway by all means have a look, as always comments welcome.
Heading back out again at the end of July to get some prices and choose a builder, will post an update on my return.

Cheers
john squire

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 pm

Hi John, thanks for the comments.
1. Yes you are correct, apart from the ground floor bedroom area and the kitchen area the rest of the ground floor is open plan. Friend of mine has similar open area in his house in the same village and doesn't seem to suffer any heat problems, and that's with no aircon installed. As the location is very open there is a lot of 'natural airflow' around. Anyway I like the idea of plenty of space, although I may have to change my mind if the heat and the mozzies get the better of me.
2. My mates will love the idea of me living in a church, the only time I have been known to visit them are for births, marriages and deaths.
3. Granted the design is not original, in fact I would say that overall it is very basic. But that is what suits me, and more importantly the girlfriend. Do you have any pictures or designs of what you did up in Chiang Mai.

Anyway thanks again, that's why I like this web site, honest criticism is always welcome.

Cheers

Alan
Thaifu T

Update 22nd August 2006

Postby Thaifu T » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Hi all, now returned from my last visit (in both senses of the word), I finish work at the start of November, then it's off to the LoS to enjoy retirement. Not too much to report on the building front as we are really waiting to get started. Finally chose a builder, after being visited by an assorted bunch who had got wind of the project, and looking at a number of houses in various stages of construction. Finally stuck with my original choice, builder from the g/f's village, who has built a couple of houses in the village itself and is doing a lot of work locally. Agreed price is B600k for the labour. Estimate for materials from guy who did the drawings is about B1.5m, but I will probably go over this e.g. intend to use granite tiles. G/f and I went 'to see Buddha' (her description) whilst I was over and the start date for building is now November 3rd - best day for starting etc, etc. In actual fact work on the foundations will probably start in late October ready for the 'official start'. Only problem for me is that Nov 3rd is also my last working day, so I will miss the start of the project by a week or two. Thats about all for now, the next two months are going to be spent getting the house and garden in the UK spruced up ready to rent and chucking out all the junk that has accumulated over the past 30 years - God knows what is up in the loft, haven't been up there for at least 6 years. Anyway just over two months and I will be able to change the signature line.
Cheers to everyone
Alan
Thaifu T

Hi

Postby Marttaff » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi Alan
Just a quick hello and glad to see you survived another songkran
Its Martin from the UK, glad to see the ball is rolling, I've still got 19 more pay days but the light is getting brighter. GF thinking more of Nong Khai as a final settling place, she has land there as well so that may help. Be interested in the plans and any pics you take during development, i think you have my email. Keep the posts coming and good luck.
Marttaff

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story