Thaifu T - Retirement HERE at last

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby Thaifu T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:04 am

Apologies all, having just viewed my last post the quality of the photos is cr*p. Probably because I'm on a slow telephone link from home. Give it a few days and I will use a decent link from work.
Thaifu T

Postby dozer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:58 am

The photos are fine. It is because I just turned on thumbnails, which mean you need to double click the photo to see the full image. I don't know why the thumbnails turn out like this, I will investigate and try to fix the problem.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:02 am

I'm hoping that building can start around October.
Keep in mind the rainy season which runs May - Nov, although you can build in the rainy season, it is really a mess especially at the beginning.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:05 am

I removed the flawed thumbnails and fixed the problem so in the future a smaller image (thumbnail) of the picture should show (clearly) which can be double clicked for a full size image.
dozer
Site Admin

Waiting for 'fill' to settle

Postby Thaifu T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:56 pm

Just thought you might like to see these.

While waiting for your land to settle after you have spent a load of brass raising the level by some rediculous amount you can also get some use from it. The girlfriend threw some seeds on the ground and when I was over in August it was corn on the cob every day, not to mention the amount that was donated to the neighbours.

The second is the size of truck delivering the fill (from just up the road); cost for each load was B200, with a couple thrown in for free after a few encouraging words from the girlfriend.
Attachments
104_0495 (Small).JPG
The first garden!!!!!!!!!!!!
105_0505 (Small).JPG
A load of ............. fill
Thaifu T

Postby dozer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:28 pm

You got a very good price for the fill, it does vary by area and quality of dirt, but for 200 for a 6 wheeler you're off to a good start.

By the way, anyone reading this thread, please click the pictures now that thumbnails are enabled and you will get a larger size image!
dozer
Site Admin

First attempt at a design

Postby Thaifu T » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Have been playing with this s/w package and have come up with these.
Both plans based on similar design, just added an extra floor to the second to give more space. Basic size (without carport) is 20m x 13m.
Will be interesting to see 1. if I can afford the 2 storey 2. If the finished house is anything like these first impressions (I doubt it)

Comments appreciated, like I keep saying I have no knowledge of the buiding game.

Cheers Alan
Attachments
House plans v001.doc
(161 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
Thaifu T

Postby Kondee » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:46 pm

Hi Alan. Thanx for share. :)
Well i think your first storey house will be really enough space for a family with 2 childs...... looks nice. Ummmm....but honesty if i where you i would move some rooms. For example the dining room need to be near kitchen. And i would put a Terrace on the house also.
Maybe you can give us more information about the material ?

greetings from europe

Kondee :wink:
Kondee

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:48 am

Kondee, thanks for the interest and the suggestions. Because of the size of the screen shots I had reduce them a fair bit but obviously lost a lot of detail. Here is a short description of the single storey plan.
Starting with the largest room (in the centre) - this is the living room, in front of which is a veranda stretching more or less the width of the house. Then going in a clockwise direction; master bedroom, then on-siute bathroom (top left corner). Next is walk-in wardrobe for (master bedroom); general bathroom; bedrooms2, 3, and 4 (top right corner). Next is an empty room - thinking either study or laundry; and lastly the kitchen, which should be large enough to double as dining area.
Hope this explaions things a bit better.

Cheers Alan
Thaifu T

Postby Kondee » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:13 am

Thanx Alan for your description. :)
Well...so when u will start to build?
And are you already sure about material (blocks)?
Kondee

Postby Thaifu T » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:05 pm

Kondee, the grand plan is that building will start when the rainy season finishes, so that makes it round about November (Dozer suggested waiting until December to be certain). As I will be in Thailand by then I will take what local advice I can get - the locals have been very friendly to me so far. As far as materials are concerned no decisions have been made yet. I mentioned in an earlier post that a fellow farang built nearby (large house); his method was to use concrete columns and beams to provide strength, in-filled with brick. My current thinking is to do similar but use breeze block (cinder block?) instead of brick and have it rendered with stucco. I'm next over in April and intend to have initial discussions with an architect, and all the decisions can be made then, and proper plans can be drawn up.
Cheers, Alan
Thaifu T

Postby dozer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:43 pm

A general thought about whether to go towards the one story or two story. I was always a single story kind of guy (buy a lot of land and do a house with a biggish footprint) but the view from the second story can be really nice.

Like the use of plentiful patio space. A major amount of time is spent on patios.

If you go with cinder blocks be sure to check out the medium/large size ones which are definitely worth the slightly extra cost.

Thanks for posting your progress!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 am

Hi Dozer, presume you have been having a rest, but the web site keeps going. Thanks for the comments. Agree with you about the 2 storey and the view, but then the idea was to send the kids upstairs out of the way, plus at my age the thought of having to negotiate the stairs will start to hurt in the coming years. Good idea about the large blocks, saw your comments on the web site proper. First thoughts were for cavity wall, but then thought, that's a UK idea, no real need for this in Thailand. As for the patio I do indeed hope to spend a lot of time there, hopefully in more or less a horizontal position, with the kids doing their duty and bringing the cold ones from the fridge. Like the signature says..............
Thaifu T

Postby dozer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:41 pm

dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:49 pm

presume you have been having a rest, but the web site keeps going.
Actually quite the opposite. The hosting service suspended the site twice, the second time a permanent suspension. Was told 'we won't be doing business any more'. It had to do with a form mail program that allows the user to send me an email (on the original site) which had apparently been infected and was sending out numerous emails. After the first instance I had already corrected the problem, but apparently someone else read the original ticket and decided to shut the entire site down. I think they were one step from trying to get me indicted as a mass email spammer - gee I'd hate to end up in the slammer for just innocently hosting an innocuous web site.

When I inquired about the data (as if can I retrieve it) I was told -- what is the point?? Gee, and I thought customer service in Thailand was bad.

So then I happened to come across a 'advocate' at the same hosting company who got the account re-instated and begged me to stay. I guess it is the good cop bad cop all at the same company. Migration plans to a new server are in the works -- more on that later.

I also upgraded the forum softwarewhich proved problematic. Co-incidentially my mother board blew out at about the same time. Later I had a problem with my computer power supply which I replaced, and as in the expression 'when it rains it pours' my all-in-one printer crapped out only 10 days after the warranty expiration period.

The moral of the story is akin to Murphy's Law, stuff really does break right after the warranty is over and there is no such thing as plug and play software!
dozer
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story