Thaifu T - Retirement HERE at last

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Hello from the UK

Postby Thaifu T » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:10 am

Hi all, the name's Alan and I've just stumbled onto this site. But it's just what I've been hoping for.
I will be moving to Thailand towards the end of this year and intend to start building around October time. The girlfriend lives in a small village about 16k west of Khon Kaen (in Isaan). We bought some land (nearly a Rai) almost 12 months ago. We've had the boundary wall built and filled with earth last April so it's gone through one wet season. Another load of 'fill' last month just as I arrived for the Christmas break.
Will post some pics a bit later on, currently on a slow connection, showing progress to date.
Forward plan is to sort out an architect on my next visit (Songkran) and show them my ideas; done some (very) simple designing with computer package. Hopefully finalise things the following visit (August-ish), and sort a builder out. Then good-bye to blighty and off to LoS around October, to watch all my savings being spent. Cheers for now.
Thaifu T

Postby Kondee » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi and welcome Alan. :wink:
My wife she also is from Issan . And we also plan to build house there as soon as possible. So i hope we can share some information about how to build a house. :)
Please tell more about your house and don?t forget to send Pictures if it?s possible. :wink:

Kindness regard
Martin
Kondee

Postby dozer » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:46 pm

Welcome to the forum, and I would also appreciate any pics. You are right about savings being spent, things may be cheap here but there is always plenty of ways it gets spent!
dozer
Site Admin

....and in the beginning

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:49 am

Kondee, glad to share any info.

Dozer, great site. I'm attaching some photo's as promised, however new to this forum game so I hope I dont mess things up (not bad for someone who works in IT, what hope for building a house!!!!!!!!!!!). You mentioned in read-me about setting up a project folder, is this a good idea for me - all help gratefully received.

Have attached 6 pics, if these download OK have a further 6 to bring you up to date.
Attachments
t_015_wall_nears_completion_8__small__163.jpg
t_011_wall_nears_completion_4__small__924.jpg
Its now April 05 and this is my first sight of my investment
t_006_the_wall_starts_2__small__379.jpg
t_005_the_wall_starts_1__small__111.jpg
Start is Feb 05
t_004_in_the_beginning_4__small__532.jpg
This is looking west
t_001_in_the__beginning_1__small__520.jpg
Land is from tree to house stretching left. This is looking North
Thaifu T

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:56 am

Dozer,

HELP. Everytime I post it seems to generate 2 versions. What am I doing wrong
Thaifu T

Postby Kondee » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:03 am

Whow...looks really busy one?lol.. :wink:
So the first step already gone.... 8)
By the way i also work in a office...same you.

So you will build your house with blocks or bricks...columns? Can you give any details? :wink:

Thank you for share the pictures

Kindness Regard
Martin
Kondee

Postby teletiger » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:33 am

Hmmm, are you double clicking on submit?? Keep the pics coming anyway Thaifu.
regards
teletiger

Postby dozer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:36 pm

I think you are clicking twice also, but sure to wait a bit after the first submit and give it time. I deleted the extra one by the way.

Are you going to be able to submit photo's on a regular basis to share? I would like to open a separate thread if so - that would be great. Let me know.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Dozer,
Thanks for the reply. I think you are right about me having finger trouble. I had a very 'interesting' time getting the first set of pictures loaded. Good idea about the seperate thread. Have got another half dozen to download showing the current status of the plot. After that will not be too much action until my next visit at Songkran although I think I will be asking lots of questions from you experts.
e.g. My initial thoughts were just to build a bungalow approx 20m x 13m, including 4 beds (g/friend has 3 kids). Then thought, how about a dormer, shoving the kids upstairs (out of the way!!!) and creating more space downstairs - would there be a problem insulating the upper floor from a heat perspective?

Cheers, Alan
Thaifu T

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:17 pm

Kondee,
to answer your questions.
Yes I do work in an office; gives me fast internet access during the day - but don't tell the boss.
Have not thought about materials yet. Friend I know who has built nearby used brick; then I found this web site, think it's going to take a few months to absorb all the info from here.
I hope to discuss these sort of things with an architect during my next visit in April.
Cheers
Thaifu T

Postby Kondee » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:36 pm

Thaifu T wrote:Kondee,
to answer your questions.
Yes I do work in an office; gives me fast internet access during the day - but don't tell the boss.
Have not thought about materials yet. Friend I know who has built nearby used brick; then I found this web site, think it's going to take a few months to absorb all the info from here.
I hope to discuss these sort of things with an architect during my next visit in April.
Cheers

You will find much informations about material here on bord Alan. It?s best best forum on www :wink:
Kondee

hi thaifu t

Postby jamie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:37 am

how is it going with the plans?
could you tell me how much to fill land and what style of house you want to build??
chock dee.
jamie

Postby dozer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:38 pm

Good idea about the seperate thread. Have got another half dozen to download showing the current status of the plot. After that will not be too much action until my next visit at Songkran although I think I will be asking lots of questions from you experts.
Well, I totally love the idea of sharing photos along with project details, as do others on the board. I've been toying with the idea of a joint blogging tool for projects, but not there yet. So Alan, you can be the guinea pig and test out this idea of having your area for progress on your project. Feel free to post general questions elsewhere in the appropriate forum.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Thaifu T » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Dozer,
Now I know why my cheeks are getting fat and I've begun to start running on the inside of wheels. Lets see how we get on.
Thaifu T

Update - as at 24th January 2006

Postby Thaifu T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:51 am

Well this will bring us up to date.
The previous photos took us up to the start of my visit in Alpril 2005. I've added a couple of the perimeter wall and after they had finished the fill and done a bit of levelling. The photos show the amount of fill that was required, compare the outside view with the inside.
Some numbers for those interested. The plot dimensions are 14m short side, 33 m long side, 49m wide. Length of the wall is 144m. The land cost B350,000 and an additional B170,000 for the wall and the fill. Most of this was negotiated by the foreman (aka the girlfriend, Nang). From the investigations I managed these numbers would appear to be quite reasonable for the area - and the plot is next to a metalled road with electricity supply. Everything was then left to settle through the wet season.
Just as I was packing for my visit this Christmas the foreman announced more fill was necessary - well who am I to argue. Hence the last couple of photos showing the last bit of action. For those interested the second photo from the previous topic and the last photo from this are taken from almost the same place.
Not much should happen over the next six months or so with the plot. I'm currently doing a few plans trying to incorporate the foremans ideas and mine. I will sort out an architect during my next visit in April and let him do the proper work. Another visit in August will hopefully fianalise the design and sort out a builder. I'm hoping that building can start around October.
Hope this is of interest
Attachments
017 its finished 2 (Small).JPG
A couple of views of the wall
017 its finished 2 (Small).JPG (46.08 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
018 its finished 3 (Small).JPG
018 its finished 3 (Small).JPG (42.69 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
023 its finished 8 (Small).JPG
This is April 2005
023 its finished 8 (Small).JPG (50.44 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
026 its finished 11 (Small).JPG
026 its finished 11 (Small).JPG (54.9 KiB) Viewed 4714 times