Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Fence costing

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:49 pm

fredlk wrote:I like the idea of the bamboo and I would prefer to use it myself, but I don't like upkeep and I think you might have to spruce it up or replace parts or replace all after not too many years.
I want to keep (small) dogs in and snakes out and so I think that concrete is better for me.
Maybe after seeing your fence complete I might change my mind and do the bottom half concrete and the upper part bamboo.

We considered all the options for fences, and decided to go with something that is not going to stand
out too much from what all the other locals have. I did not want to put lots of concrete, as the
surroundings are all very natural, not much concrete in sight apart from the electricity poles.

I have always liked bamboo, I had a Japanese garden with lots of bamboo back at the old house in Melb,
it was primed and varnished (from memory), I will do the same for the fence here, keep it protected from
rain and decay hopefully for several years.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

30 July: Site Status

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:37 am

Lots of progress has been made on the roof, all the sections have been welded together and are ready for
installation. The roof man under calculated the amount of beams required, and we had to order an
additional 28,000 baht worth. It was our fault, as we gave hom the old plans that did not include the
extension of the bedroom and a proper roof over the alfresco area, as opposed to the original plastic one
we were going to have.
IMG_6651.JPG
Welding the steel sections

I was happy to see that they painted over the welded joints, I was thinking wont they rust?
IMG_6666.JPG
Painting over the welds

All the beams were laid out inside the house...
IMG_6699.JPG
Bending the rebar at the top of the beams

The first roof beam is installed on the front left of the house. I think they will weld it together, not
sure about encasing it in concrete, I will check that today.
IMG_6721.JPG
First roof beam

The electrician made an appearance, and we discussed laying the 3 phase cable under the ground from
the electric pole at the front right of the property, running along underground under the front fence line,
and then going under the house to the laundry, where the fuse box will be.
IMG_6679.JPG
Bee, builder dad, and the electrician
Max&Bee-in-CM

31 July: Site Status

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:29 am

Water was taken out of the hole at the rear for the bedroom extension, and some concrete made at site
and poured for the foundation and column form-mold.
IMG_6751.JPG
The column for the bedroom extension

Progress had also been made on the roof, and they have raised the center section. We finally agreed
on a 30 degree slope for the roof.
IMG_6756.JPG
House front view

IMG_6747.JPG
House rear view

The fence is progressing really well, and is almost finished. We have rocks, sand and cement at site, so
tomorrow they will start to fill the holes with concrete:
IMG_6735.JPG
Left of property fence line

IMG_6739.JPG
1 extra worker started 2 days ago, so we have him on the fence job

IMG_6746.JPG
Rear fence line

We also purchases 30 x 40 metre barbed wire, to be installed on the fence as 5 lines:
IMG_6769.JPG
Barbed wire
Max&Bee-in-CM

31 July: Project Costs

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:35 am

Enclosed are the current costs for end of July, and summarized as:

Cost of house (construction, water, electrical, tools, misc): 590,232.65 baht
Fence + Landscape: 31,150 baht

NB: Labor for fence is included as general labor under house construction, as the same
workers are used for both, and work here and there as required.
Attachments
COST TRACKING - 31 July 2010.zip
Current project costs
(26.31 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: 31 July: Site Status

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:22 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:We also purchases 30 x 40 metre barbed wire, to be installed on the fence as 5 lines:

Are you using this together with the bamboo or only at the rear of the property where there will be no bamboo?

What I can see from the level of your land and the adjacent rice field and your road, you will need to raise your land to at least the level of the road to rule out any future flooding.

The house is looking huge. I am sure that everybody in the area is wondering who the rich people are that will be moving in. :)
fredlk

Re: 31 July: Site Status

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 pm

fredlk wrote:
Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:We also purchases 30 x 40 metre barbed wire, to be installed on the fence as 5 lines:

Are you using this together with the bamboo or only at the rear of the property where there will be no bamboo?

What I can see from the level of your land and the adjacent rice field and your road, you will need to raise your land to at least the level of the road to rule out any future flooding.

The house is looking huge. I am sure that everybody in the area is wondering who the rich people are that will be moving in. :)

Barbed wire will be used on all 4 sides of the property, and so will the bamboo. The barbed wire will be placed
on the posts, then the bamboo attached.

There was a flood 3 years ago, that reached the level of the top of the road - so the house is 70 cm above the road, the
garage will be 30 cm above the road. I would like to place another 50-70 cm of soil across the property, but that will
be about 2.5 rai worth of land, I dont want to spend 200,000 or so doing that, I would rather use the money for other
things, like furniture and better finishes. If it floods, its will only be grass and trees, so hopefully everything will survive.
We are 50cm above the rice fields, and above all the neighboring lands as it now stands, so hopefully all will be ok.

The house is ok in size I think, for a family of 3 its good, if we have another baby in 2-3 years, I could see it getting
a little small though, but can always build another extension at the back in a few years. Ye it is the biggest and dare I
say prettiest house in all the area.
Max&Bee-in-CM

1 August: Site Status

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Today I measured out the garage. We decided to locate the garage at the front left of the house, not at the
right beside the house as originally planned. It was an obvious decision - the area at the front left is a dead
area that was not going to be used for anything - now it can house the garage, and we can have much nicer
views from the study and bedroom on the right side of the house, and a much bigger garden. The garage
has also grown in size to be 11m X 9m, with the car space 8m X 9m and a storage room of 3m X 9m.
IMG_6860.JPG
Garage looking outwards towards the road

Progress, and a mistake, has been made for the roof - the small roof over the entrance needs to be raised
about 70cm, so that the bottom line of the small roof is above the bottom line of the house roof, if that makes
sense - tomorrow it will be re-welded and fixed. Otherwise the roof is progressing well, expected completion on
Wednesday. Roof tiles have been ordered and are being trucked from Bangkok tonight, should be delivered
tomorrow.
IMG_6818.JPG
Front view of house

IMG_6862.JPG
Front left view of house

IMG_6870.JPG
Right side of house

IMG_6855.JPG
View from master bedroom towards the sunset

1 column will be destroyed, to enable the master bathroom to grow in width by 50cm, the small size was a mistake
on my part, so the spa cannot fit in. It is fortunate that the column is not load bearing for the roof!
IMG_6835.JPG
Column to be destroyed

The extension of the back bedroom is proceeding well, and concrete has been poured into the form-molds.
IMG_6839.JPG
Extension for the baby's bedroom
Max&Bee-in-CM

3 August: Site Status

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Yesterday we got delivery of 4180 roof tiles, in 2 trucks. They are the silver grey "special color 2"
variety, we paid 12.5 baht per tile. We got a couple hundred more of the edge tiles, the termination
tiles, and the 3 way connectors at the top. It took alot of searching to find this color at a good price,
I like it because it looks modern, hardly anyone else uses this color, it matches the sky very well when
the sky is cloudy, and being light, it should absorb less heat:
IMG_6885.JPG
Roof tile delivery trucks

IMG_6904.JPG
unloading the tiles

We also bought 6 rolls of aluminium space foil, as insulation under the tiles. This we had to get at
Global House:
IMG_6905.JPG
space foil

All up it was an expensive day, parting with about 85,000 baht for the tiles, foil, and 2nd installment
for labor for the roof metal man. The tiles are now waiting for the completion of the roof structure:
IMG_6936.JPG
Tiles are waiting

We had a problem with the small roof at the front, they started to build it too low. It has now been removed
and the front columns have to be extended in height by about 50cm. The base of the small roof will be about
70 cm above the base of the big house roof.
IMG_6935.JPG
Working on the entrance columns

IMG_6938.JPG
Increasing the rebar height on the front columns

Tomorrow, we are off to Melbourne for 2 weeks holiday.

We have given the following set of items for builder dad to look after in our absence:

Garage
• measure out exact size
• dig footing holes
• put in rebar for footings and columns, fill with concrete
• put in rebar for the ground beams, fill with concrete
• fill in soil

House
• fill in more soil
• supervise completion of roof metal
• supervise roof tile installation

Fence
• Finish putting concrete into posts
• install 5 lines of barbed wire

I have also made a shopping list of things to get for the house back in Melbourne:

• Tile spacers!!! important
• Ceiling exhaust fans low profile (bathroom, toilet)
• Clipsal light switches – whole house
• Lockwood lock – front door and side door
• Lights for house (crystal chandelier, bedroom, baby room)
• Lock cleaner black powder
• Motion detector lights for outside of house
• Electrical termination blocks/connectors

I am sure I will see many more things once I get into Bunnings.

That's it for now! Will see how everything looks when we get back!
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: 3 August: Site Status

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:02 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
• Tile spacers!!! important

Max and Bee have a good holiday just one thing.

What are the tile spacers?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Re: Building our house in Chiang Mai

Postby dozer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:59 pm

I[m going to guess these are the plastic spacers used when laying floor tiles (or wall tiles) to keep the distance between tiles consistent. They come in 1, 2, 3, and 5 mm thickness and are available at most tile warehouses here, eg. buntayorn.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Building our house in Chiang Mai

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm sure you are right dozer.

Silly me, was thinking roof tile. :oops: :oops: :oops:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby rucus7 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:57 am

[quote="Max&Bee-in-CM"]Yesterday we got delivery of 4180 roof tiles, in 2 trucks. They are the silver grey "special color 2"
variety, we paid 12.5 baht per tile. We got a couple hundred more of the edge tiles, the termination
tiles, and the 3 way connectors at the top. It took alot of searching to find this color at a good price,
I like it because it looks modern, hardly anyone else uses this color, it matches the sky very well when
the sky is cloudy, and being light, it should absorb less heat:

We agree whole heartedly that is why we installed the same roof tile on our house. We are very happy with the outcome.
rucus7

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:43 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Max and Bee have a good holiday just one thing.

Thanks - enjoying the cold here... Good to get some wholesome Aussie food
and do some sightseeing with the family - Phillip island, Great Ocean Rd,
Sorrento and a few others.

Seen so many crooked tile floor jobs in display homes and apartments in CM, and
have not seen any tile spaces in Home Pro or Global House, so assumed either
none are available or no one uses them. Picked up 1.5mm for the wall tiles
and 3mm for the floor tiles.

Have visited a few display homes, some really beautiful designs and layouts, getting
lots of ideas for interior colors and materials.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby MGV12 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:

Seen so many crooked tile floor jobs in display homes and apartments in CM, and
have not seen any tile spaces in Home Pro or Global House, so assumed either
none are available or no one uses them. Picked up 1.5mm for the wall tiles
and 3mm for the floor tiles.

I always used spacers in the UK but was impressed to watch wall tilers here [the good ones] putting up the tiles with a cement-based mix and a tap, tap, tap until the tile stayed in place ..... very good results in the work we had done in our bathroom. As good as many a job I have seen done with spacers .... I tried it and it works once you get the hang of it and the mix right. Like you I have also seen some very poor jobs in display areas where you would think they would want to show the best.

Enjoy the rest of your break.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Ozzie facades

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:28 am

We saw some facades similar to what we are building, so getting ideas for color schemes and sizes of
the front columns and plant areas...
IMG_8228.JPG
IMG_8191.JPG
IMG_8188.JPG
IMG_8092.JPG

Also saw a bamboo fence being used at the back of a house for the alfresco area, of course
it uses full bamboo sticks not the spliced ones we ordered in CM, but at over $100 for 2 metres,
the price is extreme. I like the way the alfresco area comes out to 2 metres at the side of the
house, and leads to the footpath along the side, so we will be changing our alfresco design to
reflect this.
IMG_8287.JPG
IMG_8276.JPG
Max&Bee-in-CM

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story