Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:Got more information and a few pics - the major damage was the observatory moving roof was ripped off and ended up in the small side street. Also some of the railings on the roof were ripped off, probably by the roof on its ascent.

Other thing was the front bamboo fence on the left side fell a little. The whole front fence will be change to the strong 4" columns next time anyways, these small circular columns are not too good at all.

All in all not too bad. The village was hit hard, with many people losing their house roofs. The western neighbor lost her outdoor kitchen, toilet and half the guest guess was crushed by falling trees. Not pretty.

Amazing to think ... in global terms ... we are just down the road. Quite a bit of thunder and the lawn got a decent watering but ... we didn't even lose our electricity; which is very unusual.

That's the [sub] tropics for you.

Sounds like you were lucky in comparison with the locals ... maybe some retribution!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby gliffaes » Fri May 03, 2013 5:38 pm

My Land is between two hills and wind funnels down them, when the maids was being built i could see then how ferocious the weather can be here, one minute calm as anything the next horizontal rain and then some, winds you could hardly stand up in, hence the closing up of the main "open plan" dining area.
I will be a little wary of the main house roof when its on, just have to hope.
Hope u get it sorted max, at least you have someone there, my maids returning back to Loei, no idea why and neither does her Sister.....my Wife :shock:
gliffaes

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri May 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Max and Bee,
Max, I'd use loxon bolts when you put up the railings again. Plenty of them, after welding plates to the base of the railings and drilling into the concrete.

For sure will make it stronger next time. Will pick some up at Bunnings - I love that shop!
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby thailazer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Where is Bunnings? Always on the lookout for a better fastener shop.

Sounds like you got hit hard over there. Also saw a Facebook photo of hail quite deep on the Sameong Road. Weird weather for the start of rainy season, if that is what is happening.
thailazer

Postby Ians » Fri May 03, 2013 7:35 pm

[quote="thailazer"]Where is Bunnings? Always on the lookout for a better fastener shop.

Sounds like you got hit hard over there. Also saw a Facebook photo of hail quite deep on the Sameong Road. Weird weather for the start of rainy season, if that is what is happening.[/quote

For Bunnings you will need to head for Aust.
Ians

Postby thailazer » Fri May 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Ians wrote:
thailazer wrote:Where is Bunnings? Always on the lookout for a better fastener shop.

Sounds like you got hit hard over there. Also saw a Facebook photo of hail quite deep on the Sameong Road. Weird weather for the start of rainy season, if that is what is happening.[/quote

For Bunnings you will need to head for Aust.

Glad I don't need anything real bad!
thailazer

Postby terp80 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:23 am

Hi Max(& Bee): I am fairly new to CTH and plan to build a190+/- s.m. 2 story house in Don Kaeo, just north of the city (CM) starting (hopefully) before the end of 2013. I have read your entire thread, and it was fascinating reading. I found that I was getting upset :evil: when you were and then calming down when other "cooler heads" countered with their good advice. :) I have to say that you have my respect and admiration for sticking with it and for jumping in and doing much of the work yourself. I know that may not have been your original intent, but at least you were able to do it. I, on the other hand, am not really capable of that, and therefore will not have that option. :cry: Nevertheless, I took a lot of notes and plan to use them, along with notes from other builds, when I get started on my own build. I will start my thread after I secure financing. Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing the finishing touches! :)
terp80

Postby MikeWest » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:34 pm

I gotta say well done on a massive project and being really ambitious for even considering this kind of project, though gotta ask why that tone of yellow for such a nice big house? really makes it look kinda cheap looking, no offence, just doesn't suit this type of home.
MikeWest

Postby terp80 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Max: I think your pale yellow house looks just great. :)
terp80

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 pm

MikeWest wrote:I gotta say well done on a massive project and being really ambitious for even considering this kind of project, though gotta ask why that tone of yellow for such a nice big house? really makes it look kinda cheap looking, no offence, just doesn't suit this type of home.

Thank you, the color choice was based on Australian landscape color tones - warm sandy yellow.

My original idea was to have all buildings a different colour - the house yellow, the garage outback rusty red, the observatory turquoise blue.

That may still happen in the future, or perhaps not.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 pm

terp80 wrote:Max: I think your pale yellow house looks just great. :)

Thank you.
Max&Bee-in-CM

December Update

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Some recent pictures from a Cessna 172 flying overhead.

The perimeter trees on 3 sides are growing great. A little disappointed about the front of the property, the tree there are not really taking
too well, so on our next return I might bamboo bushes the front.

Most other fruit trees have taken well. Bananas and mangoes are going really well. Lamyai is growing but a few years off from crops on them still.

The local government has installed lights on the street poles at the front left and right of the land, so that adds to a little security.

Upkeep while we are away is very economical. 300 baht/month electricity, water free, 6000/month salary to Heng for gardening and security.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Looking good see you are getting a new neighbour.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby olavhome » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Max and Bee,
What is the name of the insurance company if you don't mind? We've been looking for that same insurance for months, they all say they do it but never show at the appointments.

Now all will understand my lacking knowlegde :oops:
Why house insurance ?
If house made of blocks, can it burn???
Earthquake-know it happens, but do insurance cover ?
Water leaks, do i cover ? I know in Europe/US with winter isolated houses repairs sure will be expensive, but in LOS ??
Burglary ?
Is it common for falang (and upclass thais) to have insurance for the house ? (understand car insurance is essential)
olavhome

Postby Psychic » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Max,
I was wondering how your conwood decking was holding up. What did you use for paint? Rothenberger primer?
Thanks.
Psychic

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story