Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:01 pm

I am so happy to say that all work for the garden is now completed (for this trip). The driveway has been washed of all rock, sand and soil residue, and the front is looking respectable now. We will pickup again end of the year with the back of house soil infill.

I will be making a list, checking it twice, and posting it here (so I can find it in December) of things to be done end of year.

We have about 2 weeks left here on this trip, and I am focusing Heng on painting the alfresco. The metal roof beams are being done house yellow, and the conwood will all be painted fresh mahogany again. I hope 2 weeks is enough to wrap up the alfresco area.

The yellow color makes the roof more "alive and fun", the white is too clinical and the brownish/red would have been too strong. Me thinks.

DSCN3515.JPG

DSCN3516.JPG

DSCN3517.JPG
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 am

Security Cameras are up and working.

Getting my sister to check access from Melbourne as well, hopefully all is good. Port forwarding has been setup with ToT.

Apparently we can monitor the cameras from the iPhone as well, will get that setup in the next day or 2.

Another thing ticked off the list.

camera-views - Copy.jpg
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Before we left Chiang Mai over 2 weeks ago now, we increased perimeter security by installing a few strands of barbed wire on top of the fence, making it a little bit harder to jump over. Astute viewers will also notice a green and gold colored wire along each barbed wire - that's a 240V bonus for anyone jumping or cutting.

The circuit actually runs a series of auto night lights around the fence, so it's juiced up continually. For those wanting to object, yes we did contact our lawyer, and confirmed that a 240V circuit 2m above ground level and secured to the fence inside our chanote pegs is legal. The lawyer liked the fact that it is running a light circuit, as that is justifiable use of 240V on the fence. If anyone is juiced on it, they or their legal representatives have to have a good reason why they are climbing our fence or cutting our wires. Especially at 2am. Straight from the lawyers mouth.

The reason for the beefed up security? A foreigner friend a few streets down, had 2 property intrusions. His Thai wife was home alone 11 pmish, when she saw a man in a balaclava inside her property moving towards her house. She screamed and turned lights on, and he ran off. Another intrusion occurred a few months prior, when they observed 2-3 people inside their land at the back, low down on the ground, staking out the place.

DSCN4106.JPG

Anyways, the way the world is moving, the following may be appropriate:

540721_460193357382496_2052814628_n.jpg

Also, we have noticed in our little village, that fences are going up. Some are even concrete , and one or 2 are over 1.5 meter high. Perhaps people are finally coming to their senses and wanting some privacy and security.

Happy perimeter defensing to all...
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Max and Bee,
Max why not get an electric fence unit? The plus side is they get zapped and fall outside the property and also, it runs off a 12 volt battery.
You should be able to monitor your security system from the iPhone if you have an internet connection.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Max and Bee,
I think you are sticking your neck-out , irrespective of what the lawyer has said. A smart opposition lawyer would go straight to and cite the Thai wiring code (only useful and adhered to in times of legal cases) and would be checking to see if it complied with the code in terms of safe installation.

In Aust. it would more than likely be classed as a "man-trap" or such terminology - which is highly illegal. I know this is Thailand, but they may well have similar laws tucked away.
Ians

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Max and Bee,
Max why not get an electric fence unit? The plus side is they get zapped and fall outside the property and also, it runs off a 12 volt battery.
You should be able to monitor your security system from the iPhone if you have an internet connection.

Roger, a proper zapper is something I definitely want to install, will have to wait for the next trip. I do like the 12V zap as a non lethal deterrent.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Ians wrote:Max and Bee,
I think you are sticking your neck-out , irrespective of what the lawyer has said. A smart opposition lawyer would go straight to and cite the Thai wiring code (only useful and adhered to in times of legal cases) and would be checking to see if it complied with the code in terms of safe installation.

In Aust. it would more than likely be classed as a "man-trap" or such terminology - which is highly illegal. I know this is Thailand, but they may well have similar laws tucked away.

I do understand your point, and we have debated it as well.

I think it will come down to, what was the person doing 2 meters up on someone else's fence cutting the barbed wire, and for what purpose? Intention comes into play a lot in law.

I have not heard of the man-trap provisions (not for fences anyways :-) ). Interesting, I sort of had a great idea for a "jump trap" but did not have time to implement.

I also think since the wires power on lights, its just a matter of installation. We have 2 other 240V circuits on the fence, one powers the 30 or so fence decorative lights, the other one the fence motion sensors, about 10 of those.

So if the offender tries to actually break through the fence and accidentally cuts those wires (instead of trying to jump over the top), those other 2 circuits are sort of half way up the fence (on the inside), it will be the same result.

From a legal perspective I don't see a difference having wires on the inside, or on the top. The top just looks more menacing and a better deterrent. In fact I would argue since the wires at the top are visible, we are exercising a higher duty of care for the offender than if we have hidden wires.

Time will tell...
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby MGV12 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 pm

You have visited my place and we still haven't felt the need for so much as a contiguous fence ... let alone a solid wall ... around our property. We do have two sizeable dogs ... who bark enthusiastically at even a passing gecko ... but have not felt vulnerable at any point in the three years we have been here. You and I both have houses in the 'suburbs' of Chiang Mai and so I wonder why the very different experiences ... as neither area has a 'bad' reputation.

If I had to install Razor Wire/broken glass/security cameras/electrified fencing/gun turrets I really wouldn't want to live here ... when there are undoubtedly less threatening places for an Expat to settle and enjoy their retirement; appreciating that you are not in that category ... yet. Sounds like you have options so is it just family ties that mean that even 'Fortress Max' is worth all the effort?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sunpax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Well after my very bad and scary experience in end of november last year ...I am happy to have bare to every windows of the house even if its really ugly !

Policemen come every day...at differents times ( 2 times ) ! I have telephone number from them directly and also police boss

I have camera in front and back---its can take directly picture and send to internet immediatly !

have my 2 dogs

barbewire in top of wall

bougainvilier at crucial points

alarm system ( for vibration)

alarm system for movement

telephone number of neighbourgh (with gun)

and i am waiting to install some very powerfull lights ans detector movement outside !

i have also big knifes everywhere in the house ...ect ect

I would love to live free with open door like I was living in the 80's in the carabean islands !
but times have changed...in future i will put some rose trees and bougainvillier all along my 2.20 m hight perimeter wall to hide the barewire or some other wine plants... need first to finish the house..
Sunpax

Postby Galee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:10 am

I don't read Thai, but apparently the gist of this recent article, http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/336672 , is about a break-in at a farangs house despite an electrified fence around the property. :(
Galee

Postby Ians » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 am

Galee wrote:I don't read Thai, but apparently the gist of this recent article, http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/336672 , is about a break-in at a farangs house despite an electrified fence around the property. :(

Of course, they might be criminals but they sure ain't stupid.
Ians

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri May 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Big storm at the land in the last day or 2. Waiting for information and pictures from a neighbor. Something flew somewhere. Bee's dad and Heng on site doing repairs and cleanup.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Sunpax » Fri May 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi Max&bee

Hope nothing too bad !
Sunpax

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri May 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Got more information and a few pics - the major damage was the observatory moving roof was ripped off and ended up in the small side street. Also some of the railings on the roof were ripped off, probably by the roof on its ascent.

Other thing was the front bamboo fence on the left side fell a little. The whole front fence will be change to the strong 4" columns next time anyways, these small circular columns are not too good at all.

All in all not too bad. The village was hit hard, with many people losing their house roofs. The western neighbor lost her outdoor kitchen, toilet and half the guest guess was crushed by falling trees. Not pretty.

1367567880670.jpg
1367567880670.jpg (7.89 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

1367567952838.jpg
1367567952838.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

1367568026962.jpg
1367568026962.jpg (6.58 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

1367568070499.jpg
1367568070499.jpg (5.89 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

1367568109504.jpg
1367568109504.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

1367568207933.jpg
1367568207933.jpg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

1367568294185.jpg
1367568294185.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Max and Bee,
Max, I'd use loxon bolts when you put up the railings again. Plenty of them, after welding plates to the base of the railings and drilling into the concrete.
Attachments
images-4.jpeg
What they look like
images-4.jpeg (2.15 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story