Building an Australian style house in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

21 Jan: aricon troubles continue

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Big fighting continues with the aircon shop - the 5 compressors were installed and tested ok, we received an outstanding bill for 92,800.

We went to Bangkok Bank, and transferred 87,800, deducting 5,000 for damage to fix the wall that the drunk negligent installers had done
the first time.

I they listed to my instructions, they would have made 3 small holes spanning no more than 3 rows of bricks to fit the hoses through, instead of
destroying half the wall. The pic below shows what was explained to them, where to cut, but being pissed, or stupid, or both, they went ahead
and sliced through everything. The pic below shows in red the location of the holes I instructed them to make.

IMG_6239 - Copy.JPG

The lady from the aircon shop came to the land at 7pm or so, told uncle who is living there that tomorrow she will go to the police and report
that we underpaid.

I have attached the cost summary that we will provide to the police tomorrow, if we have to meet them at the station that is, in addition to the
picture of the damage. I think the costs are reasonable, we pay Bee's dad about 8-10,000 per month to help with the project, and he used to spend
about 5-8 days a month at the land, and a project manager cost of 100 baht per hour or 800 baht per day is also reasonable - since i am legally not
permitted to work here, Bee has to assume the PM role for this matter.

Ah, the joys of building here and dealing with .... <edit for language - fredlk>

COST OF WALL DAMAGE.zip
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

IMG_6239.JPG
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: Building our house in Chiang Mai

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:27 pm

This topic has been split here. The conversation on working in Thailand can be found at:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2374&start=0.
fredlk

23 Jan

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Alot has been going on, we are both working 7 days at 12-14 hours per day, not including the design and research work at night, our staff have been great and are putting in 7 days per week also, with several staff remaining the last few days to shovel soil and plants trees, and other odd jobs. What a good bunch, I really hope not to deal with any more contractors and use our people to complete everything.

The main activity today was putting concrete for the front porch, and the path from the garage door to the front door - we are using 10 prefab columns that will support a wooden roof structure - I also put in PVC pipes for embedded LED lights, they looked pretty cool at a neighbors house, so will be going for that:

IMG_7815.JPG

IMG_7817.JPG

IMG_7824.JPG

Also working on the front gate, putting in handles and a lock holder, and a protection strip at the bottom to keep animals out:

IMG_7831.JPG

IMG_7838.JPG

Also making a fireplace area outside of dimension 7m x 5m, saw one on Sat at a friends place, it was very nice to sit have a few drinks under the stars and a fire going, so the staff are doing the wooden forms for that, in addition to the path from the alfresco to the water house and the fireplace area:

IMG_7842.JPG

Also got 10 or so trucks of good top soil (at 700 baht) delivered a few days ago in prep for grass, so had the staff do OT filling the gap inside the retaining wall:

IMG_7844.JPG
Max&Bee-in-CM

continued....

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:11 pm

This is the friend's place fireplace I like, and we will be making soon:

IMG_7807.JPG

Painting the front side gate and also the garage roller doors - there are 2 motorized doors:

IMG_7805.JPG

The 3 aircon compressors installed on the right side of the house:

IMG_7754.JPG

Some pics of the delivery of the prefab columns for the garage - house footpath, and their installation:

IMG_7747.JPG

IMG_7748.JPG

IMG_7788.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: 23 Jan

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:putting concrete for the front porch, and the path from the garage door to the front door
IMG_7815.JPG

I don't see any reinforcing going in. Won't you have problems with eventual subsidence?
fredlk

Re: 23 Jan

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:04 pm

fredlk wrote:
Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:putting concrete for the front porch, and the path from the garage door to the front door
IMG_7815.JPG

I don't see any reinforcing going in. Won't you have problems with eventual subsidence?

There is the metal pre-made mesh there, but cannot be seen in the pics.... should be ok, the soil underneath is incredible strong, an ox could not bust a hole through it...
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Max and Bee,
I seem to recall an issue about lost gumboots in that incredibly strong soil.....or was that a different build?
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 am

was there not a cement truck had a nap there too :roll: :roll: :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:38 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Max and Bee,
I seem to recall an issue about lost gumboots in that incredibly strong soil.....or was that a different build?

It does seem like that was in a different time and place, and it sort of was, the back and back right are still kinda wonky, the front though is very strong, maybe those 20 or so red rock trucks have finally compacted.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: 20 Dec

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:26 am

fredlk wrote:How much are you paying for your electric-installation, the one by the Electric Department to your house?

Hi Fred,

Finally have an answer for you, will be paying 16,004 baht - this is for the 15A 4 wires (so 15A per each active wire = 45A total, and one neutral wire).

You can pay 38,754 for 30A for each wire (total of 90A into the house), but thats way too much juice for this house.

Since the electrical company has run for free the 3 phase (4 wire) cables on the street outside our land already, we dont have to pay for any dedicated
cables - this they did out of the goodness of their heart, or more likely because there may be a few more houses built and they are running out of juice
on the single phase they had on the street. Plus a few months ago we expressed an interest, but were reluctant to pay the 60,000+ to run dedicated wires
for the 700m or so from the last transformer.

IMG.jpg
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: 20 Dec

Postby fredlk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:Finally have an answer for you, will be paying 16,004 baht - this is for the 15A 4 wires (so 15A per each active wire = 45A total, and one neutral wire).

That is a really good price .... and fair.
Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:Since the electrical company has run for free the 3 phase (4 wire) cables on the street outside our land already, we dont have to pay for any dedicated
cables

That is our problem at the moment so we're holding out for them to come to the conclusion that they need to extend the cables the 1 kilometre or so that might be needed.
While we're at the limits of the budget and trying to get the house habitable I don't want to have to fork out 400,000 Baht or so at this moment.
fredlk

24 Jan

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:14 am

Well I am impressed, does not happen often, but I am quite satisfied with the tiling work done by our staff Sid and Loong in the storage room of the garage - this is being run as a test bed to see who can do tiling the best - they are using the tile spacers, strings for lines, and a small level on each tile to ensure compliance to ozzie standards:

IMG_7859.JPG

I have Gaeow starting work on the kitchen - the previously posted pics and price were good, however they now say they are very busy with another 3 jobs, and cannot complete this one for maybe 3-4 weeks, which is a tad too long, I reluctantly have no choice but to go ahead and buy the pre-made cabinets from the outlets and make the cabinets around them - but will be doing a modification to the standard thai way of doing it, and using rebar and cement to make it razor thin as opposed to bricks and making it all very thick:

IMG_7861.JPG

We chose a color called "Toasty Grey" for the corridor, but it turns out to be coffee colored, not grey - however it still looks kinda ok, especially once we get all the white wood frames in, so will roll ahead with this one:

IMG_7863.JPG

IMG_7864.JPG

The concrete for the front footpath is dry, now have to buy the conwood planks and lights, wood for roof frame, and bob's your uncle.

IMG_7866.JPG

Also planted some 20 odd good smelling trees at the back of alfresco/retaining wall area, soon as the soil is smoothed will lay the first grass there, cannot wait to see some green and cover this ugly soil:

IMG_7869.JPG

Also have all the forms ready for concrete, this is the fireplace area - all that pink is not the house color, it is the sunset!

IMG_7870.JPG
Max&Bee-in-CM

25 Jan: garage tiles

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:02 am

The Thais can do tiles straight and level, with proper spacing between them. They just have to be shown, given the right tools, and told to not rush it. The tools are a small level, tile spacers, soft mallet, lots of string and concrete nails, and a few red bulls during the day.

And I forgot - they have to be constantly checked, I stop painting or whatever I am doing and go over to the garage every 30 minutes to check every tile. Thats the only way.

IMG_7872.JPG
garage storage room

IMG_7871.JPG
main garage area started
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:39 am

You use glazed ceramic tiles in the garage?....hmm....I saw already cars going through the rear wall as the car was sliding on the slippery tiles.

No joke!...

Regarding your foot paths....poured with concrete....I would cut about 5cm deep predetermined break lines....!
Cracks will come one day....determine where through such cuts and it will never destroy the good look.

Many of you guys like the stamped concrete...why not use the prefab stamped concrete plates (Home Pro, Mome Mart...) and lay them in a bed of gravel and...not sand...this is what ants like....fine granulate...0-8mm?!
-> No cracks!
-> Can be even taken away and put back...
-> If you use it for drive ways then you have to pour a concrete base under and put the plates in a 5cm mortar bed.
Maseratimartin

Postby pattayapope » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Max

On a slightly different subject but still relating to tiles I saw the tile spacers in Boontavon today, says they are a new item, cost 50 to 60 baht a packet, the big ones (5mm) are 60 baht and had about 100 per packet. If you can't get them up there let me know and I could probably get some and post them to you. I also tend to agree with Martin on the shinny tiles in the garage but as long as you are not going too fast I guess they are OK.

Good to see you have broken the back of most of the hurdles but the finishing stages are always the worst and can determine the "end look". I was pretty happy with my build but I still see little things that anoy me like the handles in the bungalows are upside down. They have been installed almost two years and I only just noticed it last weekend[*] :lol:
pattayapope

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story