thoeng chaing rai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: thoeng chaing rai

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:56 pm

geordie wrote:fred i was merely defending those of us who went through an imperial education to then have to change not picking a row
like you the country i grew up in changed to metric the problem is me and many others feel we were sold out and so we still think in feet and inches and even now when you go to tescos
they weigh in kilos price in kilos then give you a lb comparitor on loose goods the goverment weighed up the cost of changing all the uk road sighns so we still have mph adding to the confusion and yes with resentment i do use metric mesurement but i have to convert to get there
no doubt as before when i return to thailand i will have to use metres but not because i like it merely because i wish to be understood

Where of course you could have your resentment increased by having to buy a piece of timber which is 4" x 2" in section and 2.1 metres long!

The one I 'like' the best is when you ask for the price of something per linear metre and give you the price without saying anything else ...... sounds too good to be true .... and it is ..... actually what they mean is per 'sock', the old Thai measurement from the elbow to the finger tip which is half a metre; please don't be pedantic with me if I am not exactly accurate with that, it's just the point I am making.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 pm

geordie wrote:some people refuse to deal with metric the americans on the other hand still use imperial i believe although never having been there i could be wrong but if i were a mariner i would talk in nautical miles chains and fathoms because its what i can visualise

Geordie, geordie, geordie I feel for you I used the imperial system for some sixty years before I came to Thailand. But now when hearing temperature in Fahrenheit I have to just shake my head. As for nautical, as in water the American gallon is .83267418 of one imperial gallon or 3.785118 of a Liter. The quart, pint, and fluid ounce are also not imperial. Maybe they should stop fighting and get with the rest of world. The U.S. is one of three countries that do not officially use the metric system, along with Burma (Myanmar) and Liberia. :D Good company. :D
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:02 pm

i can console myself with the fact the thais drive on the RIGHT side of the road which is left
and most road sighns apear universal too so simplifys life for the brits
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby otis-a » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:16 pm

how to post image??
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:51 pm

geordie wrote:i can console myself with the fact the thais drive on the RIGHT side of the road which is left
and most road sighns apear universal too so simplifys life for the brits

The best signs are the maximum speed limit signs .... there aren't any! Least not around CM.

And when you see a copper you don't have to worry that he might be looking for something wrong with your driving or your vehicle ... he couldn't care less unless it's time for the monthly tea money run and even then he would only nick you if you are guilty of the one thing he's been told to look for .... and .... if he doesn't speak English he'll probably make out he didn't see you. I have a friend who just drives on if he's waved down to stop at a check point and they have always just turned their attention to those who do stop. That's naughty of course and you shouldn't do it ..............

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:03 pm

otis-a wrote:how to post image??

Click on the tab UPLOAD ATTACHMENT. Then CHOOSE FILE and then ADD THE FILE.
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:15 pm

fredlk wrote:
otis-a wrote:how to post image??

Click on the tab UPLOAD ATTACHMENT. Then CHOOSE FILE and then ADD THE FILE.

First go to POST A REPLY
BKKBILL

Postby otis-a » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 am

BKKBILL wrote:So you were going to just finish the second floor for now but your father-inlaw wants you to complete the whole house. Or something like that.

Welcome aboard. Send us a few pictures.

done, added 4 pic's is nothing special just standard 2 story cement construction. Was not exacly what i had in mind as i like the open bottom construction with wood. after costing wood vs cement/steel the wood framing was 56,000.02 vs steel at 38,000.01 tb (breaking it down to the last penny-pun intended) Wood is more astetic but if this goes well, hope to do something closer to chaing rai, this is very back woods, i am village expat.
otis-a

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:39 am

i am impressed you got the pictures on to the forum i just tried again spent nearly an hour on it and actually got closer than i ever have it said file too large
i will do it one day :( :( :(
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 pm

geordie wrote:i am impressed you got the pictures on to the forum i just tried again spent nearly an hour on it and actually got closer than i ever have it said file too large
i will do it one day :( :( :(

Geordie if it said file to large just make it smaller. :D :D :D
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:52 pm

otis-a wrote:
done, added 4 pic's is nothing special just standard 2 story cement construction.

So just where are these pictures ???????

OK found them. picture gallery who knew. :oops: :oops: :oops:
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:57 pm

how and thats not an indian greeting bill to be honest i am not 100%
sure it was not the whole of my album i was trying to send
I am going to see a mate of mine and see if he can show me a simple way to do it but like my son he has no patience and assumes prior knowledge stuff like where are the photos ???
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:03 pm

geordie wrote:how and thats not an indian greeting bill to be honest i am not 100%
sure it was not the whole of my album i was trying to send
I am going to see a mate of mine and see if he can show me a simple way to do it but like my son he has no patience and assumes prior knowledge stuff like where are the photos ???

If you make your pictures 400px × 266px there should be able to post them with no problems. Look at the photo information to get it's size. Right click the picture should tell you it's size. I'm on a mac so don't have to go through as much stuff.
BKKBILL

Postby dozer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:36 pm

If you make your pictures 400px × 266px there should be able to post them with no problems.
It is a good point to make repeatedly..... Pictures that come out of digital cameras are huge and must/should be reduced in size prior to uploading. There are several programs on Mac/PC to do the job.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby otis-a » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Used ms office picture editor, if installed, right muse clk the .jpg file after pic opens use edit pics at bottom is option export .. key to the method .. i used option export us'g this size and select ''large web'
be sure to select export with new name for my personal pic i did some crop and same process till it fitted

ps am also big fan of 'screenshot' it is portable app to grab a specific screen display area to a .jpg file is really gr8 4 report building to eliminate excess graphics also to reduce file size buiild in office doc of preferred type then export/send to .pdf the pdf adobe cuts graphics size by abt half important is server limits u file size & u large file cant email
otis-a

Previous

Return to Your Building Story