Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:14 am

CDNinKS,
CDNinKS wrote:Beautiful spa tub unit Roger......I see there is ample place for glasses of wine to sit around the edge

The spa bath should be fun and I have been known to have a glass of wine or three in the olden days, as well as a carton of beer or two, so I might just breakout some vintage award winning wine I've been sitting on for a couple of years... a nice 2001 Jakob's Creek Shiraz might do the trick. I'm actually looking forward to the house warming party to see which idiot gets drunk enough to use it. I can never understand why Thais bless their new house and then hold the party/piss-up outdoors. Unfortunately I doubt I'll have my pool table by that time.

Gliffaes,
Do you normally drive around with a glass of wine in your car?
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:CDNinKS,
CDNinKS wrote:Beautiful spa tub unit Roger......I see there is ample place for glasses of wine to sit around the edge

The spa bath should be fun and I have been known to have a glass of wine or three in the olden days, as well as a carton of beer or two, so I might just breakout some vintage award winning wine I've been sitting on for a couple of years... a nice 2001 Jakob's Creek Shiraz might do the trick. I'm actually looking forward to the house warming party to see which idiot gets drunk enough to use it. I can never understand why Thais bless their new house and then hold the party/piss-up outdoors. Unfortunately I doubt I'll have my pool table by that time.

Gliffaes,
Do you normally drive around with a glass of wine in your car?

Youve seen on :shock: e of my cars RR do you think any fluids would dare to be allowed in it???
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Today the pool people actually showed up again, this is all heart stopping stuff for me. The rebar was finally fixed and now they are cleaning the remaining sludge out of the pool.
The foreman +1 worker have started rendering the kitchen before the actual renders start on the bathrooms (they are still laying the last superblock upstairs). We need to have the wall done so we can map out the rebar concrete base and sides to put in the kitchen cabinets and lay the tiles for the back of the granite counter top and breakfast bar. About half a metre will be tiles and the rest wallpaper. It's not a good explanation but the best I could think of.
The cost of materials associated with superblock is spiraling. Just today my builder bought the last of the metal reinforcing braces for the superblock. They are now 8-10 baht each compared to a month ago when they were just 5 baht each. I could understand them going to 6 baht or even 7 baht, but 8-10 baht is a very steep jump. We also cut these into sections to anchor the chicken wire to the concrete columns before they are rendered. I wonder why the massive sudden price hike? My builder went to three shops before he got them at 8 baht. He was quite annoyed even though I paid for them and stayed in the car.
Photos:
Attachments
cleaning up the mess.jpg
Cleaning out the mess and muck
Kitchen wall.jpg
Rendering in kitchen.jpg
Metal braces for suoerblock.jpg
Metal braces
Roger Ramjet

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 pm

hi RR. soo....will the pool ever be completed? :?: :lol: :?:

expectations on the ground indicate that inflation will be bad and prices will keep going up till next year especially on rice and other food staples.
Tommy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:18 am

Tommy,
Why should expectations on the ground be bad? I would have thought it should have been the exact opposite on rice, (especially rice) and other food staples. This year alone rice farmers around me have managed to harvest 3 crops and a forth crop is now in the ground. It has been a bumper year, the fact there has been flooding in many parts of the country may affect some, but most have harvested their two crops at least and now the middlemen (who dictated very low prices and took a huge profit) have been gazumped, the price should remain stable, except for the corruption factor.
The pool will be completed before the house is finished, if it isn't then I'll get another company to do it. Each of us have a cross to bear when building in Thailand; this is mine.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:48 am

Chaiyaphum last week flooded and i got concerned but 30 miles away khaen khro they were ok lots of rain but no problem with the rice its due to harvest in a couple of months
it has always been a bug bear that they will insist on only one crop there ! because they would have to pump water into the fields for a second crop :( and no profit would be made because if they were the only one,s to plant !! all the rodents for 30kms would go there and eat the whole crop :lol: :lol:
Reading between the line,s a second crop needs a bit more attention and a bit more work it would interfere with their six months sleep period :?
We have 12 rai there and i am tempted to put a crop of rice then one of spuds just to prove to them how stupid they are (lazy %*^%"!)
So now they have had a bumper year with four crops they will have to charge more :wink:

How about some pictures of the rooms they have rendered ? What sort of thickness do you have to use with the special render on the superblock and do you get the pattern showing through the same as you do with render unless you put two coats
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:15 am

Geordie,
I can see you haven't put on your spectacles. I have posted photos of the garage rendered, and the kitchen rendered (just yesterday). I have written many times that the render team is also the superblock laying team, which shows they are flexible, and it also shows they are currently finishing off the second floor over where the concrete thingy for the doors have been poured. As you will be aware, concrete does take time to cure, so they have been moving from one room to the next extending the walls upwards to the roof as the concrete thingy cures. I know my builder and his different teams are very good, but to expect concrete to cure overnight is just not possible.....even you know that..... or should....I hope. So with about 10 to 15 of these thingies being done over the last two weeks they have moved from one room to the next laying superblock and now, currently are laying the remaining superblock over the thingies....so they are busy. Hence they haven't had time to do the render, which I fully understand.
As for the thickness on what the foreman has done in the kitchen, I'll post a photo today... it's about an 1/8th to a 1/4 of an inch....I haven't measured it, but I will, just for you.
I discussed with the builder about the block showing through, which he said can happen and I asked how he got around it if it did happen and how they keep the rendered wall uniform if they must add some render. He said he would tell me when and if it happened.... which it hasn't, so I have no idea... You will be the first to know what he does and what his render foreman does, if and when it happens, which it hasn't, so I'm not going to tell you. Probably because I don't know. How's that?
What I do know is the crew love the superblock and the render we are using.... a bit like strawberries and cream and if they are happy and productive, I'm happy.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Tommy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi RR:
1st Qn---> how goes the pool today? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would say ground expectations on the ground are bad because there were alot of rice fields gone. 2crops a year is the minimum required from the farmers actually. those who had the resources and location will try for 3rd. to do a 4th crop is usually "requested" by the "Rice Lords" because it affects the rest period / turnaround for the soil which in turns will affect crop quality and future harvest.

Middleman (My future career in thailand :lol: ). those that have the silos and storage will earn even more as its normal practice to hold stock and wait for a good price. they will not be really affected much because end of the day, prices offered to farmers are based on what the major buyers offer them.

Back in Sg, prices for rice had started its upward climb. not too sure about exact situation back in thailand now.

@Geordie--> you could try planting sugarcane or tapioca. or maybe teak wood too! 12 rai of teakwood trees would bring you millions in THB 10years later. and you do not really need to tend to the trees much too :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Tommy

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Rodger rodg
You cheeky sod the garage was rendered weeks ago (seems like months :lol: )
You cannot put pictures of the garage from different angle,s and claim that as progress
The superblock flies up in no time(untill you run out)so i thought you would have left a couple on the blockwork and a couple on the rendering so a more steady progress
has the electrician finished carcasing out the whole house or is he held back (lack of blockwork)
The render i just wondered was there much difference between that and a sand cement mix coating obviously not other than with the superblock you are not allowed to use sand and cement you have to use the special render
The thickness was curiosity as the blockwork is more true i was assuming less render :roll:
Also i wondered if you got the same side effects / the block patern showing through
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Tommy wrote:Hi RR:
1st Qn---> how goes the pool today? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would say ground expectations on the ground are bad because there were alot of rice fields gone. 2crops a year is the minimum required from the farmers actually. those who had the resources and location will try for 3rd. to do a 4th crop is usually "requested" by the "Rice Lords" because it affects the rest period / turnaround for the soil which in turns will affect crop quality and future harvest.

Middleman (My future career in thailand :lol: ). those that have the silos and storage will earn even more as its normal practice to hold stock and wait for a good price. they will not be really affected much because end of the day, prices offered to farmers are based on what the major buyers offer them.

Back in Sg, prices for rice had started its upward climb. not too sure about exact situation back in thailand now.

@Geordie--> you could try planting sugarcane or tapioca. or maybe teak wood too! 12 rai of teakwood trees would bring you millions in THB 10years later. and you do not really need to tend to the trees much too :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

The trees would be stolen I guarantee it unless you have good security.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Today the pool people actually showed up again, this is all heart stopping stuff for me. The rebar was finally fixed and now they are cleaning the remaining sludge out of the pool.
The foreman +1 worker have started rendering the kitchen before the actual renders start on the bathrooms (they are still laying the last superblock upstairs). We need to have the wall done so we can map out the rebar concrete base and sides to put in the kitchen cabinets and lay the tiles for the back of the granite counter top and breakfast bar. About half a metre will be tiles and the rest wallpaper. It's not a good explanation but the best I could think of.
The cost of materials associated with superblock is spiraling. Just today my builder bought the last of the metal reinforcing braces for the superblock. They are now 8-10 baht each compared to a month ago when they were just 5 baht each. I could understand them going to 6 baht or even 7 baht, but 8-10 baht is a very steep jump. We also cut these into sections to anchor the chicken wire to the concrete columns before they are rendered. I wonder why the massive sudden price hike? My builder went to three shops before he got them at 8 baht. He was quite annoyed even though I paid for them and stayed in the car.
Photos:

RR Ive seen superblock or similar used a lot in Bangkok now even in condos where i suspect speed of use increases the profits overall so maybe theyve finally twigged a better way to build. Took em long enough mind, now all we need are decent windows i really am not keen on the cheap aluminium things that always seem to leak after a few years and those pathetic locks they put on them too and cacky cheap wheels.
Our condo windows are forever having to be resealed on a regular basis youd think in a country with rainfall like this they would have some good designs but suspect the cost for most is prohibitive.
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Tommy,
Firstly I take it don't get newspapers where you live. The price of rice has been fixed so that the middleman no longer gets all the profit, the grower does get some now. One crop a year is the minimum requirement, two crops a year is cream, three is extra cream and four is nearly unheard of. The people who plant the rice down this way all use machinery which takes just a couple of days. They burn after the harvest and then lightly super and only spray once. Once the soil is of little use they scrape off the top layer and are back into it again.
The major buyers now have no say in the price, they can only try and influence the sale price by hoarding, but as there has been huge crops this year they must get rid of the stored rice to allow for the next crop. Of course corruption will take some profit, but no longer off the farmers. I find it amusing that the Rice Producers Association has no real farmers, just greedy people with silo's, and they are about the only ones protesting.

Geordie,
I am hurt that you would even suspect I posted only what I wanted to; my garage doesn't have windows, so tell me what the holes in the wall are for? And, if you really had looked at yesterday's post you would have seen the kitchen, which I can assure you is not the garage. Perhaps you should go outside and flay yourself one hundred times saying I shall wear my glasses when reading Roger's build story.
Now the reason you won't see the blocks through the render is because 1. we are using double superblock and the blocks on the inside are not getting wet, which is the only time you'll see the outlines. 2. On the garage both the inside and outside have been rendered so you won't see it. 3. I'll make sure that if any blocks do show I'll have the painters paint it straight away. 4. I won't take any photos of the blocks showing through the wall, if they ever do. How's that for an answer?
The render material is a lot different from sand and cement. After we add Lanko 451 (just a small blob) it mixes like dough with very little water and comes out like a paste. It really is simple to use and there is little thickness required. As well the fact that the walls are dead straight anyway means they have something to work off. They also lay red thread as a guide.

Photos later.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 pm

knife%20edge%20rendering[1].jpg
garage%20render[1].jpg
garage%20walls%20rendered[1].jpg
long%20view[1].jpg
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:43 am

Are you going to store rice in it?? :lol: Cmon RR its 5.40 am you should already have been up and done 100 squats.
When ( if ever) I get started I am always up at the crack of dawn its a good time to wander round and look at things easier to think without the noisy distractions.

OK Question do they have to wet down the walls a bit first before using the special render, I used to use a garden sprayer filled with weak solution of your Lanko type stuff ad spray the walls first as i often found when wallpapering rooms the plaster sounded hollow which meant it had not stuck to the brick when built.
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:08 am

Gliffaes,
I was up. I take my dog for a 5 mile run between 5 and 5.30; the problem is he can't keep pace.
You are correct, they do wet the walls down first. They have some funny methods and each one has a different way of doing it, one uses a bucket and sponge, another a brush dipped in a bucket then splashed on and yet another small house broom.
They are really flying now, they did the dining room, lounge and back of the garage yesterday as they have finished laying superblock. Upstairs there is scaffold everywhere so they will be up there shortly.

Geordie,
Thank you for the old photos you stole from my previous posts. I see you finally found your glasses. Wonders will never cease.

Photos from yesterday:
Attachments
Preparing the side wall.jpg
Kitchen wall.jpg
Dining room and lounge.jpg
Long view.jpg
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story