Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby gliffaes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Enough doom and gloom now, C'mon Roger where todays pics surely they must have done something?? how about a photo of where the pool crew should have been today but werent??? :D
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm

There will be an update early in the morning. The pool has gone into phase two. The workers survived the massive storm and my house is high and dry, but the ground is saturated and the pumps ran most of the night to drain the cesspit (pool) that now looks a bit like a slab. Photos on that tomorrow as I left before the concrete was poured. The renderers are rending and the welders tossed a sickie as usual because it's a Monday.
Bigger update and photos tomorrow morning.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:56 am

Firstly, let me say there is not much to see in the photos. The rebar for the pool is just rebar with nothing startling about it. After all the delays with the pool the whole thing is basically a letdown. My builder called around to tell me the pour was just a pour with a lot of workers and no wriggler...and he refused to let them use his, so his foreman did it for them. Sigh. Swimming Pool people. I'll post the photos, but it's just rebar. What we did learn was they have a lot of unnecessary work to do under the house (digging) to get the pipe to the main water outlet at the back of the house. If they had just coordinated with myself and the builder it could have all been dug by the Makro and put in place 2 months ago.
Their engineer and I had fruitless discussions many times about the weight load distribution, but he would never show us the plans and all I could work on was the so-called layout they had. In the end it was only when my wife was going to invoke all the penalty clauses and I was going to the Or Bor Tor that he suddenly came clean and said the layout as they had it wasn't right. He blamed the "builder" and everyone but himself for not being on site. And then suddenly he had the 3 designs (hand drawn) with the weight loads and I sat there and checked everyone of them.... and two were wrong. The one that was right I had drawn three weeks earlier when his workers and "builder" were just dithering and making a mess instead of doing something correctly.
I know it's the Thai way to never let the workers know what the end result will be, but the pool people took it to new heights of stupidity. And the fact that the bore piles were already in and the pool people (all of them) tried to tell me they "weren't involved in the pool build" because there was "no weight" involved, but all insisted their pools had to have piles, which was included in their price, yet the somehow forgot to take that out of the quotation.
I hope stage two goes better and faster. I'll be pleased to see the back of them.
Anyway here's the photos:
Attachments
A lot of rebar.jpg
Rebar and membrane.jpg
More rebar.jpg
long view.jpg
knife edge rendering.jpg
garage render.jpg
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 am

Unfortunately a neccesary evil you have there Rodger even the rebar seems a bit rough
they seem to suffer from lack of imagination and assume that farrangs are not too bright you would probably have done better to let your builder do the job instead of the way they are pratting about surely one of them must have realised you need water for a pool ? Or maybe they expected you to fill it with a bucket good to see the long view with the blockwork when do you start the upper floor ? I would have expected a couple of sockets and a water supply in the garage or does that come later Another clawback method for time saving i did on mil build was the walls with no services were plastered imediately give,s more chanse to see the quality as well
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 am

geordie,
There will be water just outside the garage, we propose to run it up the outside of the garage only in one place. The pipes will be lade when we get the Makro back for the last time.
The electricity will be different for the garage as there is no double superblock. The reason for that is simple, I want to use that free area between the columns for shelving. What we'll do is run the electrical cables for lighting through flat conduit inside the garage. The rest of it will be mostly unseen except at the back where the power board will be and also the 3 double outlets for my small workshop. . There will be hidden conduit for the front gate motors, Japanese garden waterfall, floodlights and later, roller-doors for the garage. They will all be dug when we use the Makro to dig the wall foundations.
Roger Ramjet

Postby nanbuilder » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Firstly, let me say there is not much to see in the photos. The rebar for the pool is just rebar with nothing startling about it. After all the delays with the pool the whole thing is basically a letdown.......

This may be little consolation but the 10m baht budget farang building the somewhat obtrusive palace here tells me his pool has faltered again and he is now leaving the pool until the very last thing on the build - 'after he has moved in'. I hope he has got his plumbing all sorted out! I look forwards to hearing about how many cute girls in short skirts and tight blouses turn up when the new pool company executive hits town :roll: lol........
nanbuilder

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm

nanbuilder wrote: how many cute girls in short skirts and tight blouses turn up when the new pool company executive hits town :roll: lol........

I had not really considered having a pool :? i am still not sure where i will build or when

Meanwhile
can you all post pool companies you come across so i can buils up a diary :mrgreen:
It sound like the most enjoyable bit will be getting companies to quote
especially if i am sitting at home bored
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:14 pm

The pool base was poured yesterday afternoon, so the builder and I got down into it today with the level; not perfect but the tiles will cover the small ups and downs. It actually looks quite small from up above, but once down into it it's quite large....well large enough for me, my wife and daughter. And once my wife and daughter go to work and uni/college I'll just be in it on my........bring on the bikini girls. I'd be dead in two minutes after my wife found out so there will be no bikini girls. Sigh, what a pity.
The electrician is wiring, the welders were on a get over drunken Monday and start work on Wednesday, the cement renders were rendering.
The builder showed me the earth rod he'd bought as a sample (we will have three, one for each board) and because I was in a good mood after finding the pool fairly flat I dragged him and the electrician upstairs and pointed to the rebar at the top of the three major columns "double earth to those, it's called a Ufer earth". So that's what the electrician will be doing, running another earth cable to each one. It will also serve as lightening rods, all 51 bore piles.... let's see who remembers why I stopped the concrete "donuts" on the bore pile rebar and inserted my inverted crosses.
Some photos:
Attachments
The sparky sparking.jpg
The sparky sparking
the pool from above.jpg
The pol from above
garage walls rendered.jpg
garage walls rendered
more electrics.jpg
more electrical doodads
earth rod.jpg
Earth rod
Roger Ramjet

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Finally! I see someone is using a proper ground (earth) rod! Best to drive it into the ground (earth :? ) quickly before it winds up in the recycle bin! :lol:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Maseratimartin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm

I see a white stripe obstructing from the floor pour between the rebar for the walls....

Exactly this is what I was missing on many photos I saw before...a proper isolation between the two separat pours of floor and wall.

What did they use?
Maseratimartin

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Martin,
What you are looking at is a rubber membrane that starts under the slab and goes between the floor and wall. It was the first stipulation I had because I had a fair idea they would use bessa blocks as the outside wall and like concrete they are porous, but in the extreme. If I hadn't stipulated its use I'm sure they wouldn't have worried about it. To be honest I think the more we write about swimming pools, the greater the knowledge other first pool builders will have, and so far we (the builder and I) have seen nothing that we couldn't have done for half the price.

elgato,
Strange as this may seem my builder and I confer on everything. You might see electrical tape over the electrical wires at the moment, but when the electrician gets them all in the conduit and steel boxes the tape will come off and proper connectors/joiners used. I know next to nothing about electricity and the hours I spent reading about it, have just been even more confusing, with even electricians on forums getting into bun fights over what's right and what's wrong, so I'm taking everything I have read into account and if it seems like a sensible idea, then I'll be the first to go along with it. Hence the three Safe-T-Cut boards, the earthing through the rebar in the columns and piles and also through earth rods (one for each box) that will be going in at the grey water outlet and be linked. The only appliance that won't have a ground wire besides the lights is my gas oven even though it has a digital readout.
Roger Ramjet

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Just 2 more questions Roger: What is all the yellow stuff in the boxes (for the non-sparky's) and have you seen or heard of something called "liquid tape" or something similar? It's a goop that comes in a can (tin) with a brush in the lid to brush on electrical connections that may be exposed to high humidity areas (Thailand comes to mind). I used a lot of the stuff in electrical connections for aircon in Florida. (You glob it into the wirenuts after you've made a PROPER twist connection of the wires.)
elgato

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 pm

elgato,
We have miles of conduit, I think the count was over 100 lengths, so the ones on the right are the connectors that allow the conduit to run along the concrete. The metal ones are for either the connections to the metal boxes or is that the other ones? I dunno to be honest. The tape is for temporary ending the wires. Later after the sparky has connected everything he'll run his meter over each wire from the board to make sure it's wired correctly, then the connectors/joiners will be used and it will be retested.
Luckily near the start of the build I was visited by the Thai police who flogged me two extinguishers. They have dropped by a few times and their fire inspector is going to give us a free electrical test when we are ready. The electricity authority will also come on site and certify our wiring. If they come out and don't check anything, I'll make sure the fire inspector pays them a very rude call. I like people to do their jobs properly and even though we bash the Thais a lot here, I know they can do the job properly, which is one of the reasons I rather like my build and why I am on site every day, no matter what. I rather enjoy talking with my builder for the hour to three everyday and that way he knows what I know and I know what he knows and what we don't know, we make up.... which hasn't happened yet because of this forum and the people contributing. I started this whole thing as a challenge to the Thais, and so far I haven't been let down.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Just another quick update; Today when my wife got home from work she had a questionnaire with her sent by the Colorbond company we used. Very detailed involving the installation of the roof, the workers, the language (barrier), on time, fast enough, professional enough etc. It's these little things that foreign companies do that make or break a company. She also had the written warranty for the roof.
I would recommend this company Steel Intertech (Now changed to SPCG (Pty Ltd) to anyone. An excellent job at a realistic price for the materials used.
Roger Ramjet

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:elgato,
We have miles of conduit, I think the count was over 100 lengths, so the ones on the right are the connectors that allow the conduit to run along the concrete. The metal ones are for either the connections to the metal boxes or is that the other ones? I dunno to be honest. The tape is for temporary ending the wires. Later after the sparky has connected everything he'll run his meter over each wire from the board to make sure it's wired correctly, then the connectors/joiners will be used and it will be retested.
Luckily near the start of the build I was visited by the Thai police who flogged me two extinguishers. They have dropped by a few times and their fire inspector is going to give us a free electrical test when we are ready. The electricity authority will also come on site and certify our wiring. If they come out and don't check anything, I'll make sure the fire inspector pays them a very rude call. I like people to do their jobs properly and even though we bash the Thais a lot here, I know they can do the job properly, which is one of the reasons I rather like my build and why I am on site every day, no matter what. I rather enjoy talking with my builder for the hour to three everyday and that way he knows what I know and I know what he knows and what we don't know, we make up.... which hasn't happened yet because of this forum and the people contributing. I started this whole thing as a challenge to the Thais, and so far I haven't been let down.

Good on ya Roger - keep 'em honest!
elgato

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story