Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby gliffaes » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:43 pm

geordie wrote:Progress rodger and progress is nice I love the colour code for wiring over there its use what you have ? but looks like he terminated the conduit properly which is unusual Even the pool has move on a bit so a huge plus on that one He was probably shoccked by the quality of your concrete because its unusual to see it done to a good standard as its normally not seen by the end of the construction

Sure the blue isnt for 2 way lighting circuits along with yellow???
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:15 pm

gliffaes,
The blue you refer to is for the cold water pipes, waste and sewage, the white is the hot water pipe... sheesh, even I knew that. It must have been the concrete floors. Or else you'll try and tell me I'm a Scottish Rugby fan. Tonga being mauled by All Blacks.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:57 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:gliffaes,
The blue you refer to is for the cold water pipes, waste and sewage, the white is the hot water pipe... sheesh, even I knew that. It must have been the concrete floors. Or else you'll try and tell me I'm a Scottish Rugby fan. Tonga being mauled by All Blacks.

You must be on the waccy baccy RR I meant the BLUE electric cable. In the uk blue cable is used on 2 way light switching, now pls pay attention next time.By the way for everyones knowledge RR has provided luxury accomodation for the builders with hot and cold water supplies for drinking. I fear this is a worrrying trend where the buliders will start to demand this on any new projects!!!
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:58 am

gliffaes wrote:.By the way for everyones knowledge RR has provided luxury accomodation for the builders with hot and cold water supplies for drinking. I fear this is a worrrying trend where the buliders will start to demand this on any new projects!!!

well i guess i will not be inviting you round to my build giving away the dirt on Rodger looking after the workforce thing is has he got the beers in for them and are the pool team allowed to use the facilitys
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:...... the right product for the job, so here's two web sites for you: http://www.ramset.co.nz/products/produc ... crete.html http://www.itwproline.com.au/Dynabolts/default.aspx If I were you I would read the second one carefully. I refer to the processes used in making Dyna bolts, they actually don't rust.

Hi Roger, I saw the two pics of the square steel plate and the balcony railings(?).... but cannot for the life of me work out how you will install. Looking forwards to more pics of that when you are able as I need inspiration for my balcony railings. PS. I am a fan of Dynabolts - they are very easy for me to understand and therefore a good item for me to work with....... and they are as cheap as chips.
nanbuilder

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:36 am

nanbuilder,
The steel plates will be welded to the bottom of the railings vertical steel column. At the moment they (the railings) are just in sections. The welders have taken it upon themselves to take out an inch of concrete the size of the steel plate so they can revet them into the garage roof and then lock them in place with Dynabolts and far be it for me to stop them actually working as it's a fixed price.
I bought a bag full of Dynabolts for a few hundred baht, whereas Geordie would like me to drive around Thailand on a mission or quest to find his pet chemfix as he thinks I'm building the London Underground and my garage will vibrate itself to death through?????? or I won't outlast the Dynabolts, which are two things I cannot even imagine. We are using Sherrawood or Conwood that will be bolted to the steel railings, but the builder will do that after they are cut and painted.
As usual there will be photos, but probably not for a few days as rain has stopped play again. The good part is there is an abundance of dry space to work in now the roof is finished and the walls are up. I think next week it will be staining wood for the door frames and painting Conwood or Sherrawood for the fences and stairs as the cement render team will be doing the walls. Today we going to look at aluminum windows and doors.

Geordie,
You'll be pleased to hear that Gliffaes didn't even get to see what we have locked in our expanded storage sheds and he wouldn't have taken it with him anyway as it would have "dirtied" his Jazz... I want to see his Jazz once he starts building. The hot/cold water dispenser is a hit with the workers. They use it throughout the day for cold drinking water and at night for cooking and instant noodles. I like smiling faces when people work hard.
And the one comment from Gliffaes that surprised me was about the electrician who was on a ladder in front of him, running wires through conduit at the time, "Where's the sparky"? When I gestured the few feet, his comment was. "Oh, he's got two drills", which of course most sparkies do have for masonry and another for wood, steel and plastic, so I gather Gliffaes will be just a "cheap charlie" and won't supply any tools at all. And of course he didn't get to see the other drills (battery operated, drill press and hammer) because the foreman wasn't going to show him our goodies after his comments about spoiling the workers.
And as he didn't look at the electrical the whole time there and concentrated on the blue plumbing ("Has it been tested"?) (which is the second time he's asked and the second time I've told him and everyone else who read this building story that it has) I took it he'd become mesmerised by my concrete and had confused the the electrical and plumbing. I am reconsidering my offer of letting him use/have the 70 odd metres of leftover hot water pipe from Germany that is no longer available in Thailand at this time. I am not a vindictive person, but I would have thought the moderators wouldn't have allowed dispersions on my metal health, when in fact it's Gliffaes (who still thinks he's in England) who is confusing the issue.

Gliffaes,
Think compactor, which you'll need a lot, 1 cube cement mixer, a whole lot more, hot water pipe, very, very rare in Thailand and I won't even touch on my builder. As the Young Ones would say; "Be afraid, be very very afraid."
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:nanbuilder,

Geordie,
You'll be pleased to hear that Gliffaes didn't even get to see what we have locked in our expanded storage sheds and he wouldn't have taken it with him anyway as it would have "dirtied" his Jazz... I want to see his Jazz once he starts building. The hot/cold water dispenser is a hit with the workers. They use it throughout the day for cold drinking water and at night for cooking and instant noodles. I like smiling faces when people work hard.
And the one comment from Gliffaes that surprised me was about the electrician who was on a ladder in front of him, running wires through conduit at the time, "Where's the sparky"? When I gestured the few feet, his comment was. "Oh, he's got two drills", which of course most sparkies do have for masonry and another for wood, steel and plastic, so I gather Gliffaes will be just a "cheap charlie" and won't supply any tools at all. And of course he didn't get to see the other drills (battery operated, drill press and hammer) because the foreman wasn't going to show him our goodies after his comments about spoiling the workers.
And as he didn't look at the electrical the whole time there and concentrated on the blue plumbing ("Has it been tested"?) (which is the second time he's asked and the second time I've told him and everyone else who read this building story that it has) I took it he'd become mesmerised by my concrete and had confused the the electrical and plumbing. I am reconsidering my offer of letting him use/have the 70 odd metres of leftover hot water pipe from Germany that is no longer available in Thailand at this time. I am not a vindictive person, but I would have thought the moderators wouldn't have allowed dispersions on my metal health, when in fact it's Gliffaes (who still thinks he's in England) who is confusing the issue.

Gliffaes,
Think compactor, which you'll need a lot, 1 cube cement mixer, a whole lot more, hot water pipe, very, very rare in Thailand and I won't even touch on my builder. As the Young Ones would say; "Be afraid, be very very afraid."

I actually didnt realise that RR had a car i thought it was a mobile skip!!! I wont comment on RR's driving skills but he makes the Thais look timid :lol: :lol:
Ill supply the workers with plenty of witty banter....of course they wont understand a word of it.
Now RR your'e forgetting I wont need hot water I'lljust have instant hot water heaters in each bathroom and even then theyll be heating water from about 30c air temps to33c so wont use much electric, Im not a massive hot waterfan but of course RR must indulge himself in uneccesary "extras"like jacuzzi spa baths or whatever which cost more than the house.
Now the roofs on the "cowshed" the workers will really be able to get cracking on the interior, the pool??? wellI cant comment, id just put th pool company workers in and then get the cpac lorry to deliver 20M3 of conc on top of them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joking aside, the work was good, tidy blockwork, clean site makes for a good build....did I mention the concrete????
RR tells me he will be painting it deep purple!!! :shock: but Im sure his word will not be final and the real bosses will overule him :lol:
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:

Gliffaes will be just a "cheap charlie" and won't supply any tools at all. And of course he didn't get to see the other drills (battery operated, drill press and hammer) because the foreman wasn't going to show him our goodies after his comments about spoiling the workers.

"

He,s been hit like the rest of us by the Brit goverment so hard he,s probably worse off than some of the workers
Roger Ramjet wrote:
And as he didn't look at the electrical the whole time there and concentrated on the blue plumbing ("Has it been tested"?) (which is the second time he's asked and the second time I've told him and everyone else who read this building story that it has) I took it he'd become mesmerised by my concrete and had confused the the electrical and plumbing. I am reconsidering my offer of letting him use/have the 70 odd metres of leftover hot water pipe
"

Rodger that would make you an indian giver ?? who would of thought that
Roger Ramjet wrote:I bought a bag full of Dynabolts for a few hundred baht, whereas Geordie would like me to drive around Thailand on a mission or quest to find his pet chemfix
"

Only because i thought you wanted top quality on your build :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Roger Ramjet wrote:Geordie,
You'll be pleased to hear that Gliffaes didn't even get to see what we have locked in our expanded storage sheds and he wouldn't have taken it with him anyway as it would have "dirtied" his Jazz... I want to see his Jazz once he starts building. .
we destroyed the honda,s apearance somewhat and we had a truck available but smaller stuff when shopping ? hard to resist

Roger Ramjet wrote:And the one comment from Gliffaes that surprised me was about the electrician who was on a ladder in front of him, running wires through conduit at the time, "Where's the sparky"? When I gestured the few feet, his comment was. "Oh, he's got two drills"
well i am assuming he had two hands and you were paying for both of them
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Sometimes I dread weekends, especially when my wife and daughter are "on a mission" and today it was aluminum doors and windows. Two double sliding doors, one for the pool and the other for bedroom one. Now I'd already said I wanted 6 mm glass tinted blue on all the windows and on the double doors for bedroom one with just the usual white frames, but, between my builder, my wife and the window lady conspired it was totally changed to big unsightly brown frames and 8mm green tinted glass, but after looking at the sample windows and doors on display it got changed back again....after two hours...sheesh, no wonder I dread weekends. We are waiting for a quote.
The pool is progressing at last... see photo.
Half the veranda rails around the garage is in place and bolted down. See photos.
They have started laying superblock on the second floor.
The electrician is hard at work with his pencil.
Superblock arrived and was unloaded by hand...two women, three to four at a time, plus 140 bags of mortar.
Our first applicant for maid arrived (lives just up the road we think/hope). 1 day a week 500 baht a day. We'll see.
Photos:
Attachments
The pool.jpg
The pool
Superblock and special rendering mortar arrived.jpg
Superblock and special rendering mortar arrived
The fence above the garage.jpg
The fence above the garage will have Conwood around it
The plate revetted and bolted down.jpg
The plate revetted and bolted down, but just tacked
Plates are on the bottom.jpg
Plates are on the bottom in the hole, just tacked at the moment
Garage railing.jpg
Garage veranda railing
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:20 pm

More photos:
Attachments
Sika latex.jpg
Sika latex
Sika grout.jpg
Sika grout
Q-con special rendering mortar.jpg
Q-con special mortar
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote: big unsightly brown frames and 8mm green tinted glass,

Whatever you do, please dont have brown/copper frames and green glass, it looks ugly and barn-nok style, not suited to your house at all. Pull executive authority, order what you want and that be it.
Leave the women at home, I that that now for a long time, makes life so much easier.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Thank for the pics on the railings - process quite clear now. Looking forward to seeing the conwood deck.
nanbuilder

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Max and Bee,
No problem, it has been changed back to powder white aluminum and 6 mm blue tinted glass. The window lady was trying to save us money, so was the builder and my wife, being sticky, was also. Why do they do that when you tell them what you want and the reason why? My budget for this was 150,000 so we shall see what transpires.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:55 pm

nanbuilder,
I think they (my builder and foreman) are going to cement in the recessed plates using the Sika Latex, which will probably keep Geordie happy, but isn't really what I wanted to do for reasons stated previously. Oh well.
Roger Ramjet

Postby nanbuilder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:24 am

geordie wrote:Tell your forman thank you for his small contribution toward my happiness Rodger i spend most days admittedly feeling a bit down and a bit disheartened with life on hold as it is
People visiting the house and complaining the layout is not quite right or the location is not quite right or they don,t like the vine on the front of the house They would like a second bathroom I sometimes wonder if they go out veiwing on a weekend especially just to pass time ??? If your foreman would like to make a huge contribution to my happiness ask him does he wish to buy a house in England :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I feel for you Geordie; I went through exactly the same process. Finally I managed the sale of the UK home after having it on the market for 1 year which secured my retirement in LoS. After that I thought it would be easy to buy a condo then sell as soon as I was ready to build my own place. Wrong again.... condo was on market here for 2 yrs before recently finally shifting it - at zero profit!
nanbuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story