Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:MGV12,
By now they could make it any size they liked, I just want to see it finished, it's the only setback I've had. The people we bought the pool tiles from have nearly given up on them and all they want to do is deliver the tiles, which is all we want now.
Please note, I didn't ask twice. Ask about what MGV12?

Exactly

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby gliffaes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:12 am

geordie wrote:Rodger i am trying to post a link to some chemical fixing info i posted awhile ago
The reason being chemfixing the bolts / studding into the concrete puts less stress on the concrete and at the same time will stop water seeping down the fixing and rotting it away
If you can find a bit of stainless threaded rod and use that you will never ever have a problem
Your builder seems to be more with the program than most so may have seen it used or even used it
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1419&p=18780&hilit=chemical+fixings#p18780

Sold by the tube http://www.screwfix.com/p/r-kea-epoxy-a ... esin/24841 i describe it as EPOXY RESIN fitting i n the UK maybe a few tubes should go in my bag next time??? or is it easily availbel here....Ill read your link and see make sur e holes ar as clean as can be for best fixing id vacuum em out first.... but then thats just me ahhaha
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I cannot say it,s easily available over there But it is available
I saw it and was shocked in the big diy store in pattaya but in tins shaped like paint rather than tubes as we know it
Having a supicious nature i am not 100% convinced that its not car body filler in different packaging a pepsi (or any other plastic) bottle with a hole in the lid and 150mm of pipe is as good as the proper pump for blowing the holes out or even a cheap bike pump
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Geordie and Gliffaes,
Exactly the reason for not having the steel in the concrete in the first place. Two Dyna bolts will be easy to remove and replace when they rust out in 15 years time, instead of digging up a garden, moving all the soil, carrying a compressor all the way to the roof, trying to find a shop with chemfix, and all the rest of the suggestions. Even at the ripe old age of 80 I might be able to do that... remove and replace the bolts; if I'm still alive.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 pm

I hear you old one :lol: :lol: :lol:
The point is with chemfix and a stanless bolt at 80 you can have a beer because it will not need changing and in the few years between now and then you will not suffer rust stains (from the fixings anyway)
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 pm

geordie wrote:I hear you old one :lol: :lol: :lol:
The point is with chemfix and a stanless bolt at 80 you can have a beer because it will not need changing and in the few years between now and then you will not suffer rust stains (from the fixings anyway)

Its no use Geordie it looks like the ole fella is "set in his ways" dont worry Ill beat him senseless for you "very soon" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:47 am

gliffaes,
From a man who couldn't go three rounds with a revolving door, you have delusions of grandeur. Quoting from The Young Ones; "Be afraid, be very very afraid". All "threats" are costly. The Shonky Builders thrive on threats, they just add it to their bill....The consultation fee now stands at four million.... would you like to try for five?
Be warned I will have my savage gun dog with me and pound for pound, he's the best in the business.

Geordie,
For someone who has been in the building trade you know little about using the right product for the job, so here's two web sites for you: http://www.ramset.co.nz/products/produc ... crete.html http://www.itwproline.com.au/Dynabolts/default.aspx If I were you I would read the second one carefully. I refer to the processes used in making Dyna bolts, they actually don't rust. In fact I can safely say that at the age of 80 I will not need to replace them.
Whilst you are howling at the moon, you might make yourself useful and post a site in Thailand that supplies your chem fixes? After all this is a building forum and people are building, unlike some, no one, I could name, but decorum stops me.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:, but decorum stops me.

As far as I am aware that's still on the banned list in Auss ... so I'm guessing it's your wife's name.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:07 am

Being unable to speak or read Thai its a bit of a problem for me to trawl through the web for
supliers over there Rodger However i have seen it in one of the big diy stores in Pattaya so assume its not imposible to find it had you the notion to use it of course ?
The reasons i love the stuff are plain enough less stress on the substrate waterproofs the fixing we used it extensively underground on the railway net work and unlike the dyna fixings by which i assume you mean expansion fixings its vibration proof so does not work loose under vibration or over time
If the spectator reference was to myself i already had a trial run :lol: :lol: Thai style and if i get rid of this millstone i will build one for real in the meanwhile its worth staying on here to look at ways of improving my own design and the build quality

ps unless you intend using the stainless the others have a coating which does tend to scratch off then it corodes :mrgreen:
geordie

Postby splitlid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:21 am

sika do a 2 part epoxy suiable for the job.
available in home pro and many otter places.
:D
splitlid

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:30 am

geordie,
I am now worried about the suitability of Dyna bolts. Your prediction about vibration (as in the London underground) worries me greatly. Are you predicting the roof of my over engineered garage will be subjected to similar vibrations of the next 15 years? And what about my 30 ton damper over the pool, will it be enough? If so will the vibrations be seismic or will the Purple line be extended? I actually asked the local taxi driver, a monk and an unemployed Burmese construction worker about this (the vibrations) but as they didn't speak English and my Thai is nit noi, nit noi, I'm not sure what they said. Perhaps you could post the source of these vibrations?
You wait until you sell your house there and start building here... by then I'll be a real expert on Dyna bolts and if you use them, just once....well you get the message. I can just see me now driving all the way to Pattaya to search the stores for your badly marked chem fix..... I'll use the Dyna bolts I think. I know, I know, I'm just staid in my ways.

splitlid,
In the next day or so I will post the Sika products my builder got me to buy from HomePro.....they didn't have enough Lanko 451 in stock.... so we went with Sika, but I didn't see the chem fix, instead just a lot of Dyna bolts of all sizes.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:geordie,
I actually asked the local taxi driver, a monk and an unemployed Burmese construction worker about this (the vibrations) but as they didn't speak English and my Thai is nit noi, nit noi, I'm not sure what they said. Perhaps you could post the source of these

i would assume you found them locally

I am now worried about the suitability of Dyna bolts.

thats ok Rodger but don,t lose too much sleep
I am now worried about the suitability of Dyna bolts. Your prediction about the London underground) worries me greatly. will the Purple line be extended? .

it could happen but not soon not in our lifetime

Rodger its your choice and to be truthfull i think either method should outlive both of us i was merely offering an alternative (superior of course :lol: :lol: :lol: ) i did not like chemfix
but was forced to use it and then started to like it because of its flexibility as in one length of studding can fix all just cut the length you want to suit the hole depth you drilled so shoddy brickwork or concrete not an issue just drill deeper The main reason i brought it up in the forum is you can also use it to extend colum,s or beams if you need a good conection
to an existing structure a bonus though is the fact that its waterproof so in an exposed enviroment = roof handrail :) it will stop water wicking through the fixing hole
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Today was a day of distractions, another prospective house builder was allowed on my building site and of course he bought the model of his house we've all seen. My enquiry was "built by a fourth grader"? I should have shut my mouth because it started a lecture on the intricacies of building models from a cardboard box and racing tape. Sigh. And after he tied up my builder for an hour showing 3D renditions of the house that hasn't even got plans drawn yet, all he could do was talk about smooth concrete. You would never think he'd seen concrete lade/poured properly before in his life. And me being old I made him carry my ladder up to the second floor before I'd let him touch the insulation under the Colorbond roof. The prognosis "luke warm", which was a little like my tea by that stage, and which I took to mean, it passed inspection.
I even left the mistake my builder made with the door to the pantry, just so he could complain about something, but he didn't. And by the time we came down from the second floor, the mistake had been fixed, but he didn't notice (he'll claim he was too polite).
And so with all the distractions, there is little to show, but I did manage a few happy snaps to keep all happy. Including electrical that should start a few arguments/observations.
The photos in no order:
Attachments
different wires for different plugs.jpg
Different wires for different plugs/oulets
pool sub base being poured.jpg
Pool sub-base poured
my door frames were delivered.jpg
My door frames were delivered
my pantry entrance now fixed.jpg
My pantry entrance now fixed
wiring going in.jpg
All sorts of wires
colour coded wiring.jpg
Colour coded wiring
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Progress rodger and progress is nice I love the colour code for wiring over there its use what you have ? but looks like he terminated the conduit properly which is unusual Even the pool has move on a bit so a huge plus on that one He was probably shoccked by the quality of your concrete because its unusual to see it done to a good standard as its normally not seen by the end of the construction
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Geordie,
Actually the colour coding is for different thicknesses of wires and different applications.... I only know we have five different colours and each are different: Lights, power outlets, fans etc.. the sparky has a list and so does the foreman which they constantly refer to. I have no idea what goes where, but the sparky seems happy and so does the foreman. You might say the builder and I are above all that, or that we don'y know squat, of which the latter is true with me.
I recall in another thread certain suggestions were made and it seems my sparky read the same page as he just produced everything himself.
The pool people astound me, they've actually done something besides standing, and looking with blank stares. I still don't like the way they did it though. Concrete onto mud is not the preferred way to lay a sub slab.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story