Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby gliffaes » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:29 am

geordie wrote:What can one say to such remarks :roll:

Roger Ramjet wrote: My wife has told me that none of those "Brit hooligans are allowed either inside or outside the house". I think her exact words were, "just who do they think they are, the Thai Army"?

Dont worry ill wait until its full of lootable stuff before i visit!!! You dont think Im going to walk away emtpy handed do you??? might a s well make a day trip of it....... i like the look of that ne w whacker plate :lol:
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:42 pm

gliffaes,
I was going to give the builder the compactor, which I believe you call a whacker plate, however, as you wish to leave with it (hanging from your neck if you try and steal it), that too can be arranged, for a small "finder's fee". So far you owe the Shonky Builders a consultation fee of 4 million for the swimming pool plans, with the "whacker plate", just throw in another million or so. Next you'll want my cement mixer, so you'd better bring more than just leaky taps and dripping faucets with you......we like money, cold hard cash. (Please, no British pounds, Euros or US currency, we like Australian dollars or Thai baht.... and definitely no cheques from foreign owned banks in the US and Europe and a few other notable countries.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Having worked in security all my life lets help you out here gliffaes
!st establish the wife is at work :)
2nd The other boss is at uni ? :D
3rd look at the forum for Rodger having a busy day on site :lol:

Now get your butt around to his house with a big truck and have a load up :mrgreen:he has bought some nice quality gear so may as well nick that rather than a secondhand wacker plate

Oh i forgot to mention get some pretty young birds with short skirts to assist that way the neighbours will be distracted and not give you a second glance :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:46 pm

The electrician has arrived, so that clears my townhouse of all the electrical stuff I've hoarded in the lounge room. All the metal plates to house the Haco electrical switches my builder bought yesterday are the wrong size, so they need to be changed on Monday. As well, where all the undersized plates were installed in the superblock (the electrician is fast), all will have to be recut to a bigger size. We are not going to put power outlets in the "normal" place near the ground, all will be about two foot (I forget what it is in metric, but three blocks high) off the floor. As we did each wall the electrician followed and marked everything in pencil, drew lines across and down the wall. I also informed him that all cables that carry power will be in separate conduit to the TV cable, the phone cable and the CTV cable, so he drew four different lots of conduit. So far we are off to a good start. If he didn't mark it, I had chalk in the car for just that purpose.
The meeting with the pool engineer was scheduled for 12 midday. My builder rang and said he was waiting. I arrived 2 hours late, intentionally. He got my point. He then rang the company who assured my wife they would be there at 0800 hrs on Monday and we actually got an apology, which my wife ignored. Then she stated if the engineer wasn't there and stayed all day and supervised the work, she would impose the fines for breaches in the contract. He said he would be there.... we'll see.
I then spent the next three hours at the wooden door shop with, the builder, my wife and daughter.... whilst they chopped and changed their minds until I got sick of it and reverted all their selections back to what they had originally agreed to. The total cost for the doors, all with imported wood and stained glass windows will be 112,500 baht. They will take a month to make. 30% deposit and the rest in a month on completion to our satisfaction.
I'll post photos later, including the mistake my builder made.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 am

Photos from yesterday and the day before. The builder forgot to tell the foreman who is laying the superblock exactly where the doorway was/is in the pantry. It is in the middle, but as we had trouble with my wife's Issan truck (minor/major electrical) and the mechanic didn't make the house call until 10 am, the builder was with my wife's Issan truck.... along with his wife and half the women in the soi... all pontificating on what they though was wrong. Fortunately the mechanic knew within 5 minutes and just ignored all the women. The cost was 40 baht for the repair, which I thought was a little bit low and as my wife recorded his phone number and asked if he was on call, which he said he was for us, I gave him enough to make his eyes bulge, because the fault he fixed had been a major problem causing the new battery to go flat the whole time and me to charge the damned thing every day we needed it. He assured my wife he would come "immediately" anytime we had a problem, even if it was midnight. It would have cost $100 in Australia and they don't make "house calls", and for the $15 (500 baht) I paid him, I thought he'd earnt it.
Attachments
upstairs facing north.jpg
upstairs facing north
view from front door.jpg
View from front door
The pantry today.jpg
The pantry today... the doorway will be moved to the centre. There will be no door, it will be entirely open and shelving will be put in
The pantry yesterday.jpg
the pantry yesterday
open veranda.jpg
open veranda upstairs
electrical conduit going in.jpg
electrical conduit going in
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Rodger those blocks seem to have an overlap could you sort out the builder (a) going too quick (b) putting overlaps (c) they look too straight
Its at the motor on stage now where you have to keep a close eye on it otherwise you nip out to buy something and the buggers put the door in the wrong place :roll:
It could be worse i do beleive someone had a room with not only no windows but no door either so how drunk was the builder on that job :?:

At this rate shonkey builders will be dissbarred for working to a high standard of course the consultancy side is a different matter :mrgreen:
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:28 pm

geordie wrote:Rodger those blocks seem to have an overlap could you sort out the builder (a) going too quick (b) putting overlaps (c) they look too straight
Its at the motor on stage now where you have to keep a close eye on it otherwise you nip out to buy something and the buggers put the door in the wrong place :roll:
It could be worse i do beleive someone had a room with not only no windows but no door either so how drunk was the builder on that job :?:

At this rate shonkey builders will be dissbarred for working to a high standard of course the consultancy side is a different matter :mrgreen:

Lookout the wife has confirmed she is available for a site visit THIS WeeK ROGER!!!! no consulation necessary :shock:
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 pm

geordie wrote:Rodger those blocks seem to have an overlap could you sort out the builder (a) going too quick (b) putting overlaps (c) they look too straight

Shhhhhhh just dont mention the pool (like the war,) I mentioned it once but think I got away with it, (monty python) :twisted:
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Let me be the first to break the news here; it's over, finished, ended. After three months of heartbreak, agony, planning and all the rest I've been through, the final decision to end it all was today. The search for tiles is over after another 7 hour marathon, in which my wife and daughter finally agreed that the three best choices for the bathrooms were the three I made three months ago. It's like winning the lottery and having nothing to spend it on. All those bloody hours of traipsing around Bangkok, just to end up with what I wanted in the first place. And my wife actually was so happy with my choices she dug her hand into her wallet, even though she was screaming "no, no, no" whilst doing it, and pulled out her Platinum Visa Card, which also screamed "no, no, no" because it's the first time she's let it out of the safe, and the first time its ever been out of her wallet to see daylight. And after she'd paid for all of the purchase she had the audacity to say, "now I can sleep at night", which would have to be the biggest lie she's ever told me as she sleeps like a log. And tomorrow and henceforth she will let me know about the tiles and how she paid for them, even when I'm on my deathbed. No wonder we call her "Sticky Tik". Bloody accountants.
As you will all gather, there are no photos, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow. And I refuse to be baited.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:58 am

The funny bit is to come when people politely say love your tiles and she replies yes they are nice it took me ages to find them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mind you good news on the visa card even if it was rubbing its eye,s in shock at seeing daylight
geordie

Postby tothemark » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:36 am

Pmsl :lol: , Roger if you ended up not paying yourself you got off lightly ! Who did the measurement for the amount of boxes you need....... just in case you need someone to blame...
tothemark

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:24 am

tothemark,
It's funny you should mention who will cop the blame over the measurements. When I dug my heels in a few times (after hours standing, staring, being dragged around by my wife and then my daughter, driving miles, and going for innumerable cigarette breaks), I would say "oh, I forget"....which I hadn't, but it was my form of revenge. And so my wife quietly rang the builder and got him to give her the measurements on the side, which he did when her Issan truck broke down, which caused the marathon 7 hours yesterday. And as I've educated the builder, foreman and the workers, there is now a pecking order if anything goes wrong and they've become quite adept at pointing/passing the blame to the next person. The rebar women used to cop it the whole time, but ultimately it's my fault for not checking, so that will be another thing my wife will rub my face in, if it goes wrong.... But I doubt it will.
The people at Grand Home Mart (I think it's called that) have probably the best selection of tiles in Thailand. They have a cheap mean and nasty Chinese outdoor (undercover) section for the poor, whilst their indoor section is actually manned by professionals with unlimited patience and the good part is you can transport the tiles to other tiles to check if the colours match because each different coloured tile has a wooden handle on the back. They also have a huge range of "ideas" in vertical one metre by two metre high display racks. It's probably the most professional display in Thailand and they do know what they are talking about.
They also have a huge selection of bathroom ware which is where we bought the shower/bath thingies and any questions you have, they know the answers. Their electrical range is really pathetic and that section is not manned. They also have designated English speakers.
What scared me driving home was the comment "I'm not really sure I like the tiles in bathroom three", so the whole thing will happen again in another 12 months..... but this time I'll stay home.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Today was the 90 day trip to Nontharburi Immigration, which is in the middle of rice paddies... a bit like my house. I now get on well with the lady there, after I gave her a box of chocolates from Singapore, compliments of my wife, 90 days ago. And she's been promoted; from Snr Sgt Major to Lieutenant and has been put in charge of the "Retirement Section" which augers well for me, especially after the chocolates. I'm not going to tell you why I gave her the chocolates, because it's not for publication.
So, besides the fact it took me an hour and a half to get there and another hour and a half to get back (traffic) it was a great trip, instead of one of the dreaded ones. And a word of warning, the renewal fee has just been increased (three months ago) to 1,900 baht for the one year retirement visa. (It was 1,800 baht).
The pool people have actually started. Today they were pumping out the cesspit and cutting rebar for the slab. My builder was happy because it was the same man that did the runner with his advance.
We have new steel surrounds for the Haco electrical switches and a lot of the superblock walls with the conduit up has been double lade. We might just be short on the superblock, but as we can now buy the by the ute load direct from Thai Wasatdu if it's under 500, we shouldn't have to order anymore. We are going to buy the 200 odd bags of special render for the rendering on Wednesday, along with all the electrical cables. I did point out to the builder that his "1.5" for the lighting was a total waste of money, because "1" was twice the recommended grade for down-lights. The electrician got involved and said I was right because with down-lights there is no ballast and starter and therefore the current would be constant and without surge... (I cheated, I read it on an electrical site), so I'm one up one the builder at the moment, which was payback for the pain and misery he created for me over the tiles. Builders should not be allowed to talk to wives.
No photos today, but there will be some tomorrow when the walls downstairs will be nearly completed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Today was the 90 day trip to Nontharburi Immigration, which is in the middle of rice paddies... a bit like my house. I now get on well with the lady there, after I gave her a box of chocolates from Singapore, compliments of my wife, 90 days ago. And she's been promoted; from Snr Sgt Major to Lieutenant and has been put in charge of the "Retirement Section" which augers well for me, especially after the chocolates. I'm not going to tell you why I gave her the chocolates, because it's not for publication.
So, besides the fact it took me an hour and a half to get there and another hour and a half to get back (traffic) it was a great trip, instead of one of the dreaded ones. And a word of warning, the renewal fee has just been increased (three months ago) to 1,900 baht for the one year retirement visa. (It was 1,800 baht).
The pool people have actually started. Today they were pumping out the cesspit and cutting rebar for the slab. My builder was happy because it was the same man that did the runner with his advance.
We have new steel surrounds for the Haco electrical switches and a lot of the superblock walls with the conduit up has been double lade. We might just be short on the superblock, but as we can now buy the by the ute load direct from Thai Wasatdu if it's under 500, we shouldn't have to order anymore. We are going to buy the 200 odd bags of special render for the rendering on Wednesday, along with all the electrical cables. I did point out to the builder that his "1.5" for the lighting was a total waste of money, because "1" was twice the recommended grade for down-lights. The electrician got involved and said I was right because with down-lights there is no ballast and starter and therefore the current would be constant and without surge... (I cheated, I read it on an electrical site), so I'm one up one the builder at the moment, which was payback for the pain and misery he created for me over the tiles. Builders should not be allowed to talk to wives.
No photos today, but there will be some tomorrow when the walls downstairs will be nearly completed.

?Roger are you saying 1.5mm cable and 1.0mm cable etc? in the UK 1.5mm is used, it used to be 1mm or is it 12volt lighting?
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:40 pm

gliffaes,
Yes, 1 mm 1.5mm 2.5mm and I think 3 or 3.5 mm. I'm never sure with mm, cm or that other metric stuff. The wiring with all the down-lights that comes already in them is just .5mm. It does have an earth though, which is rather interesting.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story