Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:12 pm

I see a roo and a little joey in there!

Is there a plan for a gate in front of the double garage doors? sliding? motor? how wide, about 7m? Or leave it like a driveway in Oz, the garage roller doors serve as the gate, with a
fence terminating both sides of the garage?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:16 am

Max and Bee,
There will be two gates and two motors to open each as they will open independently. You won't be able to have two open at the same time as they will block each other when open. The land is only 13m wide and the garage is 9m wide, one gate opening either way would have blocked the road, or blocked the entrance next to us. Either way it would have encroached on something else other than the current land we own, so the alternative was two gates opening across each other. If my daughter wishes to leave or enter the same time as me, she will have to wait. If she can't wait then I'll just disable her remote, or something equally sinister.
I'm debating the roller doors. Eventually I will probably get them for security reasons for the stuff in the workshop, but not yet. I got a quote from one company for the automatic garage doors they use in the US at the ridiculous price of 150,000 each. The next Thai company that sends out a "gold digger" for a rep with a girl trailing along will hit my list of companies never to be used and openly named. I just wish they'd stop the bullshit.
I also mulled the fence terminating either side of the garage, but that wouldn't work in Thailand because someone would try and claim it as "theirs".
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:20 am

Thats all you need campers on the drive claiming it as theirs ?
Was the adhesive choice because it was there or did you import it ?
Nice to see some blockwork after all the hard stuff with the shuttering and the concreting it also after today (the roof) good or bad weather you can always find something to do Its gone well so far Rodger and i reckon will well outlast the pair of us whats the retirement plan with the indoor pool i reckon the way it,s built you could chuck a few more floors on it and flog it as a hotel if you get fed up with it I wish to hell i could get rid of this milstone around my neck and get over there but every day there is some pratt on the telly giving it doom and gloom about the economy i recon at this rate i will end up paying someone to live here
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 am

geordie,
I can take 100 photos of campers on your doorstep in this village we live in alone. Every morning the food carts emerge and camp on someone's doorstep or block access to all the other people. The small soi that leads in and out of the village is an obstacle course caused by people moving their car out of their carport and then leaving it on the soi. I wouldn't mind so much but it's the same people who block the soi every morning right when everyone else is trying to get to work, or go to school, or take their wife to work or worse. And that's without all the motor bikes and bicycles coming out of blind sois without looking because some shyster sold them a 10,000 baht lucky Buddhist amulet, blessed by a monk nobody has heard of, but is "revered" because he can paint white dots on a car interior, or on a bike's seat, or makes cheap imitation looking gold and then sells it as real gold. It will not happen with this house!
We had to wait for the adhesive to arrive. It was supposed to come with the superblock from the factory, but they said there was a delay....and I don't know why, but it arrived two days late and even though my builder tried to get bags at all the other building shops, there was none available. In fact of the 30 bags we have, five have been "loaned" to another builder in the same area.
I have no idea how you can say its gone well so far and then, in the same sentence mention the cesspit in the ground (swimming pool).
I am actually contemplating building a flat/guest house above the garage, but that will be much later when I get bored. And I can always go up another floor. As a hotel it would be a flop. After the house is built and "warmed" I don't want to do or think about anything for at least a month and by then I'll have to think about something else anyway because I'll be bored again.
The prats you refer to have reason for the doom and gloom with all the so-called economists talking about "growth". You can only grow a certain amount and then you must sustain what you have and at the moment neither the US or GB can do that. It's time they started talking about clearing debts and consolidation, but the banks and so-called economists haven't figured how to do that without sending themselves broke, and we can't have that can we.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:11 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:The next Thai company that sends out a "gold digger" for a rep with a girl trailing along will hit my list of companies never to be used and openly named. I just wish they'd stop the bullshit.
I also mulled the fence terminating either side of the garage, but that wouldn't work in Thailand because someone would try and claim it as "theirs".

Hehehehe I have not heard the world 'gold-digger' for a few years now, brings back some memories....

I assume the front of the garage lies along the chanote line, then the fence would also lie just inside the chanote pegs corner to corner, and terminate at the garage?

The roller doors are vital, for keeping both undesirables with itchy fingers, and curious prying eyes out. I had some humorous quotes also, so what we did is found a big metal shop that does the
roof metal, and all sorts of metal, and they also did the roller door metal, and all the associated bells and whistles. They had some motors from china as well. So we buy everything in bits and pieces,
they deliver it, and they have 1 or 2 installers (independent contractors). One comes out and assembles all the pieces and makes the doors for 6500 baht. So total cost was 55,057 for the 2 rollers
and motors, and 6,500 for install.

I have attached the receipt from the shop and installer FYI....

IMG_5089.JPG
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:18 am

Max and Bee,
Very reasonable price for the roller doors. I am going for the two gates across the front of the property first, one offset from the other, then the roller doors later.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:24 am

Have you considered tilting doors in place of roller doors, not sure if available or do-able in Thailand.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Ians,
They're what I call American garage doors and they are available and do-able and the company will send it's "gold digging" rep with his girl-friday right to your front door in his new Mercedes S with a magnificent glossy portfolio of the latest Bel Air garages all with their doors installed, and no prices either, but who needs a calculator when there's a fool farang. But no worries their rep will work all that for you after he's assessed how much he can skin you for and told you all the problems you have created for his company by building such a large garage. And of course he'll tell you that the cost is in the fully imported motors ($4,000) that lift the folding garage doors and the special material the doors are made of (plastic) and how you are the biggest fool he has met because the motors are less than 5,000 baht each and the doors about 5,000 baht at the most, so the whole unit comes to about 12 to 15,000 baht, but, as the girl-friday is his latest mea noi and his teeth need bleaching and cleaning again this week and his tailor on Savile Row has his latest shipment of suits ready to send, even though he's wearing filthy slip on shoes from Big C, he's willing to give you the best price in Thailand. Oh, I forgot, he also doesn't speak a word of English. And they advertise in the Bangkok Post.
I'll stick to the steel roll-a-doors I think. I'm still considering naming the company.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Ians,
They're what I call American garage doors and they are available and do-able and the company will send it's "gold digging" rep with his girl-friday right to your front door in his new Mercedes S with a magnificent glossy portfolio of the latest Bel Air garages all with their doors installed...

Sounds like you are having a "max-loves-living-in-thailand" experience with these jokers. Be careful all this fun doesn't get you descending into a BLACK MOOD.

I have experienced a few similar like this, the most memorable was for the stamped driveway concrete, outrageous quote by the way - I did mention to Bee that the girl seems to be walking a little
strange, perhaps a "big lunch" was just completed - funny how they always have to bring a girl in a short skirt along, even funnier when she cant walk straight in high heels or takes out a meter and
tries to act all builder like and start measuring some...
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Ians » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:12 pm

So I take it you're not considering tilt doors mainly because he doesn't know how to or doesn't care about his dirty shoes, my dearly departed grand-dad always said, " you can always judge a man by the appearance of his shoes".
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 pm

The semi made it into the soi thanks to our friendly police who stopped traffic both ways, but it was tight. The roof went up so quickly you could barely take photos, but we got a couple anyway. Eight man crew of supervisor and seven workers. Four on the roof and three sending it up by rope. It was all over within an hour after they arrived... minus the sides and flashing, which is another part of the roof to come later, well the sides are, the flashing is there already. Please don't ask; why the two separate lots, I have no idea, but I spoke with the company and they said "later, later". I have been assured it is totally secure as is and the rest will arrive in about a week.
The PE insulation underneath is just what I wanted. Totally even and also double insulated as well, and as a portion under the veranda will be exposed the whole time it won't look out of place or funny, and no mess.
I didn't wait around for the pool people who never show anyway, so I have an early mark for a change.
The superblock laying continues and the window reinforcing has gone over two windows.
Photos:
Attachments
with PE foam and foil.jpg
With PE foam and foil
7 man crew.jpg
Supervisor and 7 man crew
4 man crew.jpg
crew on the roof
brackets.jpg
brackets it's locked onto
Going up.jpg
going up
as it came off the truck.jpg
Flashing
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm

More photos
Attachments
Supports for the window.jpg
Supports for the windows
the locking lugs.jpg
The locking "lugs"
minus the sides.jpg
Minus the sides to come later
From the stairs.jpg
Finished roof from the stairs
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I didn't wait around for the pool people who never show anyway, so I have an early mark for a change.

Now you are learning Grasshopper ..... pools and ponds have life in them but also a life of their own.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby nanbuilder » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Ians,
They all have no names, no photos, no profiles and no addresses until after Gliffaes leaves Thailand again or pays us the 4 million consultation fee for his swimming pool, then they'll be happy to talk to him. We think it is a small price to pay for the grief, anger, frustration, pain and suffering our pool company have caused us so far, so my builder and I are passing on our expertise in that area, so other poor mugs do not fall for the same trap...and at 4 million we think that's cheap.
It's not the builder or crew you should worry about.... it's pool people, so far I have not heard one good word about a pool company in Thailand. They are totally overpriced, don't pay their workers, don't show up, have glossy web pages that hide the real result and don't much thought for the person paying the bloody bill. I could fill two pages on this without trying, but... that's why I'm a consultant... for further information contact my new consulting company The Shonky Builders.... see the web for listings.

Funny as hell Roger - really chuckled at this ..... gr8 news that I am not planning a pool for a few years yet.
nanbuilder

Postby Ians » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:29 pm

" for further information contact my new consulting company The Shonky Builders.... see the web for listings."

Any connection with " Dodgy Brothers" ?
Ians

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story