Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

I’m sure the mention of you selling yourself will get some movement. Would imagine their take would be about 7%. That is what multiple listings go for in Canada. Of course the sale has to be made.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 am

Here is part of am e-mail I just received from Canada which has a similar economy as Australia.

If you want to bury news, just have it hit the wire on Friday of a long weekend.

That’s exactly what the Canadian Real Estate Association did two days ago – getting its message on the public record while at the same time hoping the public was preoccupied with beer and roasted weenies. And this was the news: CREA says housing sales across Canada will drop by 1.2% this year.

This may seem entirely meaningless until you remember that five weeks ago the same cabal of realtors told the country sales would rise by 5.5% in 2010. And it gets even more interesting in light of the forecast made just before that – a 13.3% surge over 2009 levels.

How could an industry group with its fingers on the pulse of the biz get it so wrong? And how could they still be so out to lunch?

As you know, recent sales in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto have plunged by up to 40%.
In just days the Toronto Real Estate Board will release July numbers, which should be withering.
As mentioned on this adulterous blog days ago, sales in parts of Vancouver have all but disappeared, just months after bidding wars had the streets littered with bodies. Prices in the west end have dropped $90,000 from the peak.
In Edmonton the average price of a single family house is down $17,000 from last month – which looks like the biggest drop on record. Meanwhile sales are at a six-year low.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 am

BKKBILL wrote:Here is part of am e-mail I just received from Canada which has a similar economy as Australia.
[i]If you want to bury news, just have it hit the wire on Friday of a long weekend.
That’s exactly what the Canadian Real Estate Association did two days ago – ......

I never believe real estate agents, (used) car salesmen, lawyers, notaries ..... and I forget now which others .... oh yes some Farang in Thailand. :D
You just have to read or hear anything said by any of the above and you know it is lies.
Roger I suggest that you get over there stante pede* and sell the place yourself.

* stante pede [ugs.]
instantly {adv}
posthaste {adv}
lickety-split {adv} [coll.]
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Gees, what a breathe of fresh air you blokes breath into my already suspicious brain and I might be even more paranoid about the mongrel real estate agent multinational bugger except....... you all forget I have friends and a mate there (if anyone can call an SAS Major a mate), children there, grandchildren there and great grandchildren and I do happen to talk to other people a little, the old way, by letter. I'm old school, I like letters, real letters that come via the postman, not email, so I write letters and post them. It may be a bit slower and a little more uncertain, especially from Thailand, but it works better because people actually keep letters instead of deleting them.
So you perveyors of doom and gloom let me quote from a letter I received previously from my mate, Dan "apparently he knows who I am, and more importantly who you are", "he claims the mistakes were all made by inexperienced staff, which he has replaced, and his lack of time inspecting personally all the properties under his current management". Now if you knew the area in Australia like Nawty and I do you could well believe this because Eden-Monaro is huge. You could actually inspect one in Gutheka, Falls Creek, Adamindaby and Berridale, but not the four on the same day, unless you left at 0400 hrs and returned very,very late. And Gutheka and Falls Creek are only open 3 months of the year. Now if he inspected a property at Numeralla and one at Bega or even Eden, it would be a whole day job and they have 200 such properties on their books. And Cooma just happens to be the hub for all of it and that's where my house is.
So taking into account the downturn in the market, the fact that there have been two bids at $130,000, I must listen to reason and local knowledge. And excuses at this stage. And the fact that I should get a lot more if I spruced the place up a little. The carpet has been in for at least 15 years I know of, so yes, it should be replaced. And a mutual fence does need replacing. The rest of the stuff I will mull over.
The one thing I know will never need replacing is the incinerator I built and my ex wife used. That is one heck of an incinerator. The bar-b-que is even better though and the real estate agent may find that out if he screws with me.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:....... you all forget I have friends and a mate there ....

We are only trying to be of assistance and now that you have filled us in on some detail we understand a little more.
Remember that your readers here only know what you have told them and that is not very much.
Anyway, I'll be holding thumbs for you - I don't do praying. :wink:
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:27 pm

I have just had a productive two hours with the architect on the basic floor plans. To be honest a lot of black biro was used, but that was because of the narrowing of the house from the original roughs and getting all the distances right. And of course he did a totally Thai thing and wanted to make the area outside the kitchen a washing area instead of using the two sinks inside. In doing this he cut-out my pantry and toilet so that was the first thing to be slashed and burnt.
I can't post the plans yet because everything needs to be changed, he made the pool too wide, but the right length, he put in doors where there would be sliders, but the concept remained the same. I can tell everyone that the law states your roof can only come within 1 metre of the boundary, so in my case I have a roof with an overhang of 1 metre. It will be sloped slightly on the overhand by just 2 or 3 inches. It will slope from front to back by just 12 inches and guttering will be on all sides, but I'll leave that till I have the stage two plans.
The house will be raised about 1.2 metres off the ground but the garage and pool will sit on the ground. There is an entrance inside the garage to the front of the house which is now undercover. The garage will now house the pump for the swimming pool, the filtration system and also a pump for the house water. The house water will go to a tank on the terrace before being pressurised for the rest of the house. The terrace will also have the hot water tank that is solar heated. I haven't decided whether the solar panels will go on the roof or over the patio, but probably the roof. That will be for the final stage when we do the electrical and plumbing.
I'm not going to post the number of steps from either the garage or up to the entrance (Fred, you know why), well, on second thoughts, yes I will. It will be five. I was given the option of 4, 5, 6, or 7, but as there is a portrait of King Rama 5 on the wall in the office, I went for the emancipist 5 and everyone nodded and seemed happy with that, but that is subject to change (Fred please note). Feng shui take note!
I would have posted pictures of the build at the rear of my house, but my camera wouldn't work, so I take it that there must have been a three legged dog in the area, or some such Thai thing happening when I tried to turn it on. I actually drove into where my drive will be, just to see if the land was stable after the massive downpours we have had and to be honest, you could barely see the tyre tracks. Feng shui again, I guess, otherwise I would be still bogged.
That's it, I have another meeting next Friday afternoon at 1400 hrs or 2 pm to you pogoes.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:pogoes.

Roger ... CTH is a multi-cultural, cross-cultural community ... please stop using your Aussie slang-based descriptions .... I have heard of The Pogues and Pogo Sticks ... knowing the meaning implied by "you pogoes" probably won't assist my edification greatly but you and we know you want to tell us so go on then :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:55 pm

I also failed to mention that the second floor will no longer have four bedrooms. I had reduced it to three previously, with three bathrooms, but on reflection and after talking to my wife and daughter I have changed that to three rather large bedrooms and two bathrooms. The bathroom between bedrooms 2 and 3 will be combined with three entrances, one from the hallway and one from each bedroom. I have added a sort of ladies powder room, along with a walk in shower, small spa/bath, toilet and wash basin. The women can sit in front of the mirror that way and have their usual clutter of cosmetics strewn around the vanity counter. The wash basin will be incorporated into it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:02 pm

MGV12,
I apologise profusely, pogoes is actually a military term used for all civilians with no military training. It is also used for soldiers who have no combat experience. Hence when I was using the 24 hour clock and put 1400 hrs, that was for those who had military training, the 2 pm was for civilians who were fortunate enough to not to have partaken of the beer or rum with the King's Crown in it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:MGV12,
I apologise profusely

Oh Roger :)

Thanks for the explanation for those of us who have never been impressed, conscripted or have otherwise been in service.

Good to hear that your plans are taking shape, we look forward to a lengthy dialogue [how many pages?] as the project becomes a reality.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:03 pm

MGV12 wrote:Thanks for the explanation for those of us who have never been impressed, conscripted or have otherwise been in service.

Even though I was a conscript (or prisoner as it felt to me), I had never heard that word and so ...
... thanks for the explanation for those of us who were conscripted. :wink:
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:27 am

Just a quick update on my meeting with the architect yesterday. When I have time I will post the plans (with black biro lines) and the 3D rendition. There are a lot of changes. The architect is having a job getting his head around washing plates indoors in the double sinks. He also has a problem with farang kitchens and I haven't even put in the working "bench" in the middle of it yet because I haven't decided what will go there (maybe the oven) with free space either side.
I have to go up-country to Sara Buri this morning, so I should be able to scan and comment in detail when I get back late this afternoon, once I clean up the mess of pamphlets, catalogues,templates,rulers, tapes, etc and plans on two desks and covering the scanner. I even have an oven glove on it. How did that get there I wonder?
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:44 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:He also has a problem with farang kitchens and I haven't even put in the working "bench" in the middle of it yet because I haven't decided what will go there

Will you be letting the builder build your units from brick and then adding doors or will you be buying a fitted kitchen from the likes of Homepro?
Roger Ramjet wrote:.... up-country to Sara Buri ....

For some of us, Saraburi is on the outskirts of Bangkok / at the start of the road up north. :wink: :lol:
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Fred,
In regard to your question about cabinets, I actually went and looked at the pre made ones in Home Pro and other places and then looked at just the doors fitted to concrete/brick. I am currently searching for a real cabinet maker and I just might have found a man who can do the job. I stopped at the local door maker because I want wooden doors in the bedrooms and for the front and back doors. I did a bit of costing on using wood for shelving and the actual frame and I think it might be just as cheap to use wood. The facing may be the only problem there, but I think I can escape with three ply. In other words, I'm open to suggestions and haven't committed either way.
There are quite a few changes to be made to the main structure at this stage, so I'm concentrating on that with the architect at the moment. Stage 3 is a long way off; 2 months which will give me time to ponder and explore.
Sara Buri used to be a pleasant run 7-8 years ago, but now, with the state of the inside lane that has had no maintenance for the last 3 years, the trucks swerving into the second lane, buses into the third lane and Issan drivers in their overloaded utilities travelling at 60 kph also in that lane, it has become dangerous. This morning a semi trailer tanker jack-knifed and the trailer flipped with a full load of gas at just over the half way mark and completely shutdown the freeway lanes back to Bangkok. By the time we came back they were still pumping and venting the trailer. If I pick my times, I can do it in under an hour, however, the outer ring road west has also become a problem with huge holes and no maintenance in sight. It would appear there is too much money to be made off leasing buses, supporting the army in their buying spree and other lucrative enterprises of politicians to worry about road maintenance this year, last year and the year before. In other words, the pigs are busy feeding at the trough.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Dear All,
I promised the plans and the 3D renditions and here they are (if I can remember how to do it).
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story