Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:52 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Max and Bee,
The rains will be in force until at least October/November Max and if we look at what has come already, they will be a lot heavier than some we have already had. The problem is they change direction as of now. Earlier they came down from China, now they come across from the Philippines and Vietnam and down through Laos and across from Cambodia. And, depending on the build-up of the typhoons/cyclones in the South China Sea and how far they stretch inlands before petering out, will determine the amount of rain dumped.

Thanks Roger, as long as its steady as she goes, all should be fine, i am just concerned about a 3+ days sustained deluge - they will have to open the dam gates and flood the whole plain again...
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby MGV12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Tothemark says:

tothemark wrote:Looking forward to seeing your tile choices Roger, If you have done it in 5 hours then I take my hat off to you !

Dont be shy to show your daughters choice if she wins the day tho :lol:

and you remark

Roger Ramjet wrote:If I were MGV12 I would say you are not welcome to post on this build, however, I'm not, so keep the flippant, funny, hilarious comments coming, it makes me smile a lot in the face of death.....for my daughter.

Disproportionate reaction or what?

I don't see anything other than lightening of the subject from him, he has been a very positive contributor to this forum in the past and I find it hard to understand why you should react in such a manner: unless you have also been feeling the effects of the pre-storm heat.

Your 'contributions' to my Koi Story did however fall into [what you obviously considered to be] the "flippant, funny, hilarious" category. I eventually saw them as being consistently off topic and therefore requested that you refrain. Not same-same more a case of different-different.

I have followed your story and not made any particularly off-topic nor otherwise negative comments to my recollection; should you think otherwise please draw my attention to the specific posts.

I wish you well, your build is progressing well and looking great ... your story, as I predicted, is entertaining and informative. Hold steady.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:02 pm

MGV12,
You see I was worried about your health (and the saga of the koi pond) and so I dangled the bait, and of course you rose to the occasion like all good posters should.
And I apologise if my comments were off topic. I must have become confused with whether the koi pond was actually a koi pond or a swimming pool for your better half. I would have asked on the koi pond thread a little while ago, but as you banned me, I refrained. Is there an update? Or has your wife got you putting in kitchen cabinets?
Nice to know you're still with us MGV12.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:MGV12,
You see I was worried about your health (and the saga of the koi pond) and so I dangled the bait, and of course you rose to the occasion like all good posters should.
And I apologise if my comments were off topic. I must have become confused with whether the koi pond was actually a koi pond or a swimming pool for your better half. I would have asked on the koi pond thread a little while ago, but as you banned me, I refrained. Is there an update? Or has your wife got you putting in kitchen cabinets?
Nice to know you're still with us MGV12.

There is an update but one that isn't really worthy of reporting on the thread - we are finally ready for rendering but I am awaiting someone who knows what they are doing. Ornamental ponds and swimming pools as you know need better attention than the slap it on brigade and the fish are still, just about, fitting into the existing accommodation. The render coat will be the final finish, no tiles just an expoxy resin seal.

I am always with you and every other poster, in 'spirit' at least, but like to see others contributing and adding their knowledge wherever possible.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby tothemark » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:If I were MGV12 I would say you are not welcome to post on this build, however, I'm not, so keep the flippant, funny, hilarious comments coming, it makes me smile a lot in the face of death.....for my daughter.

Disproportionate reaction or what?

Hoho,Taken in the spirit it was meant, as we have to accept that RR is still suffering from PTS - Post Tilematic Stress :lol:

With any luck we may have a very long tile sub-thread coming, with pictures and possibly dismembered family parts :shock:
tothemark

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:37 am

A number of things happened yesterday; the two welders showed up and were told to go home as a new crew was being organised. Thirty minutes later they were back, but this time their boss was with them and their heads hanging low. This is the first time I've seen him. There was a lot of apologies after the situation was explained to him. He looked at the work they hadn't done, because they weren't there to do it and then gave them a piece of his mind. After the builder translated everything I agreed that if the roof beams were finished by this Friday, they could stay. We now have 2 1/2 welders on site and they did more in one day than in the last two weeks. Their boss is by far the best of the bunch. The 1/2 a welder no longer welds, he's now a painter/tacker. I think they'll be finished in two days the way they were going yesterday when I left.
The pool people rang and said they were finishing another pool and wouldn't be ready for another 2-3 days. Sigh, same old story. My wife informed them that the penalty clauses would start to be imposed at the end of this week.
Some photos later.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:22 pm

The welders must have understood what I and the builder told them. When I arrived at the site all the metal beams had been welded and half of them were actually in place. I didn't ask how they got them up there yesterday because it had to have been by man power alone, as they don't have access to our crane. My builder assured me he checked each and every weld along with his foreman. They will not be getting any slack in the future, but the builder did loan them his scaffold yesterday. Their welding had better be spot on when the do the two front gates otherwise they'll be doing a lot of unpaid overtime.
The Colorbond engineer will now come out Monday and check everything to make sure it's all up to spec. If it is, we should have the roof on by the end of next week.
Meanwhile the four lots of stairs are having rebar tied into them for the pour next week. The garage floor has had gravel and sand laid and is now being compacted. We'll then lay black plastic over the top, then rebar, and pour that as well.
Today I ordered two truck loads of superblock from the Q Con factory through Thai Watsadu. Two thousand four hundred blocks all up and they should be here next Wednesday. The bags of glue/cement (24) will also be delivered at the same time. Total cost was just under 50,000 baht.
Photos to follow:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Photos as promised:
Attachments
Roof beams going up.jpg
rebar for stairs being tied.jpg
Rebar being tied into the stairs
Garage ready for rebar.jpg
Garage being compacted
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Busy day. Have just taken delivery of the Siemens gas oven and range. Then some 30 minutes later the range hood arrived. Then the Fujika UV water purifier was delivered.
I also ordered a power plate washing tap/attachments (no idea what it's called) but when I pick it up I'll take a photo. I think it's made by Hafle (German name anyway) and it cost me 10,000 baht. Has hot/cold water tape and I saw my wife eying it the other week. That'll keep her happy, no excuse for the daughter to claim she can't wash dishes now.
And the rain will just not stop. The pool people also did a no show so my wife informed them we were invoking the 500 baht a day penalty clause until they got on site and talk to us. If they can't get the builder/labour then we'll build it ourselves, all we need are the plans and equipment.
Two more photos:
Attachments
Long view of garage and house.jpg
A longer view of the house
Front and garage stairs being blocked out.jpg
Garage and front stairs being blocked out
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:09 am

its getting a lot easier to visualise now Rodger and looking good i had not untill now realise the stairs from the garage go through the wall to outside stairs as well ? Does the plate scenario look like its going to be ok for the height
Iam looking forward to the next few weeks it should start to fly when the blockwork starts how long is the roof suposed to take to complete

Regarding the pool 500 a day does not sound like much but it soon adds up i think you will end up doing it yourself shame really you did not know earlier it would have been easier
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 am

geordie,
The plate is fine as is. The height is iffy. I'm six foot and standing still I clear it, just, but what about when I walk up stairs? That is the question. The last step is the problem, but we'll work around it. I'll always know it's a bit iffy, so I'll be careful. If anyone else bangs their head on it, they must be a thief, having already broken into the garage, they are moving on to the house, so I hope it knocks them out.
Visitors, if I allow any, will use the outside stairs. They will be forced to walk through my wife's bloody garden, not my Japanese garden/fish pond, but that problem I'm working on...hence the power dish washer.
We would have done the pool ourselves if we knew what we were doing. It would have been faster and a lot cheaper. No wonder pool people are extortionists. This time the builder and myself are going to talk with their "engineer", whatever he is, and we're going to pin the bastard down. It's the only real problem I have at the moment.
The roof will be done in one day, when the Colorbond engineer gives the nod. They also have to check out the entrance to the soi because their semi trailer has to be able to get down the soi.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:32 pm

hope the truck fits rodger otherwise some walking is on the cards ?
Are you tied to a contract with the pool people or can you have a quick design/engineering drawing done and kick them into touch
Arguably now the blocks have hit site you cannot work on certain aspects of the build without causing them a major access headache so in fact they are causing you a delay and rechedule with the work
The builder you have seems to do excelant quality of work on the concrete so there is no reason he cannot make you a substantial concrete box with the attached plumbing :? :? :? with you behind him kicking you,l get a superior job anyway more likely
Great work on tne roof trusses / welders stepping them up a pace problem is now when you get the bill it will look like they overcharged if they can do it that quick ??? the question being why the lazy little gits did not work at that pace to start with you could understand a slow pace if they were on hourly rates but not on a price crazy
why they do that they could have it knocked out and sit at home drunk for a few days better than swanning on site in the heat killing time (and getting in the way ) its getting to ressemble your 3d,s you did earlier now and given you must be almost living in one room (because of all the kit you,ve bought in readyness) it should run to a swift conclusion
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Geordie,
In an earlier photo I posted the collapsed sign at the front of the soi. Since then the soi has been narrowed because the owner of the land has had her Isaan builder put in bigger foundations in the soi. You must come in from an westerly direction if you are in a truck. A semi will find it rather difficult anyway, so just in case we have our local friendly policeman all prepped for the day the semi arrives. We also have the crane on stand-by as well. It's not going to cost us anything, but it's better to have a plan A and plan B just in case, but we'll discuss that with the Colorbond engineer on Monday and see what he says.
The contract with the pool people clearly states that they must pay for another company to instal the pool if they fail to deliver it within a certain time frame (3 months), which is next month. There are a lot of penalty clauses also that effects the pool company. We want to talk to them on site at this stage to overcome their labour/builder dispute. We would offer them a revised contract with my builder as the builder and their "engineer" (with the expertise) showing us the connections required and them supplying the material. The 500 baht a day was invoked to get them to talk to us, which they should when it gets to a few thousand, then we can solve their problem one way or another. Their problem is their week kneed "engineer" who never says anything and won't show when he says he will. If I was the company owner I'd sack him and the builder.
There will be no major access headache as they will have complete access from three sides for the next three weeks, after that there will be some restriction, but by that time they should have poured and be ready for the tiles. My builder is more than ready to do the pool, all he has to do is call back some of his concreting and rebar team.
The welders are being paid 80,000 for the complete welding job with me suppling the materials. That includes the front gates, the veranda railings around the garage roof, the roof metal, the stairs between the garage and the second floor and my workbench in the garage. It was costed out by me and is a fair price. The quicker they finish the more money they make. But originally the contract stated the roof beams must be done first and within two weeks and they will be borderline on that because of the days they took off.
I'll take some photos of the welds tomorrow, including the linking to the rebar in the columns. We have a slope of 8 inches from the front of the house to the back.
Our lounge at the townhouse and under the car port/veranda is a disaster area. We can barely watch TV and to change channels we have to stand each time. My wife hasn't said much but I can see she a bit peeved, although when the neighbour (my dog's girlfriend's "mother") came over last night all that was forgotten as she got me pulling all the damned stuff out of packaging so she could show it. Thank heavens I haven't got the sinks, toilets, showers and spa delivered yet (they'll go straight to Ban Ba Thong) as they are on a month's hold at the moment. The spa people said they'll put it in after the walls are up and tiled, so no problem there as they have access over the garage roof and through the corridor straight into the spa bathroom.
Some photos:
Attachments
Garage and front stairs.jpg
Garage and front stairs. You can just see how tight it will be for height.
Stairs ready for pour.jpg
Stairs are ready to be poured, which we might do tomorrow
Bad angle but shows the steel plate.jpg
Here's the steel plate. It's a bad angle, but it is totally flat.
Long view showing the soi.jpg
Long view showing the soi
Roger Ramjet

Postby splitlid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Roger,
i see on your drawings and 3d images that the steps in the garage area are in 2 different positions, but now they are in the same position, the builder is building the steps and then presumeably the wall will be built on top of the steps to divide the 2 areas.
why did you chose to change the steps position?
also, the steps are the same levels, so will that mean that the first step on the inside and outside will be at different levels once the floor slab has been poured and the outside has been completed?
splitlid

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm

splitlid,
I knew someone would look at that eventually and twig that there's only one set of steps in the garage. There's a number of reasons for that; firstly I scrapped the other set of steps because it would interfere with where we want to put the pool equipment, which is along the side wall at the back, secondly because they would have eaten into my "bolt hole" (my workshop) and finally the entrance/exit would have been just four foot high, because if we had taken out the concrete beam as we did with the righthand side, then we couldn't have placed the stairs to the second floor above it, which would have caused a real problem and been a real mongrel to reinforce.
We also took out a door leading from the enclosed front veranda to the swimming pool, which was going to be the primary entrance for the "wow factor" of having a pool indoors in a three bedroom house. That door was "scratched" the day I saw the magnificent double doors that will be new new entrance at the top of the stairs. There's a wall to go in on the garage, that's why they appear to be one set of steps, when the wall goes in it will be two separate stairways, one from the garage and the other from the front gate, that should snake through my Japanese garden, over the small bridge with the fish pond underneath, past the waterfall with the little man sitting with his fishing rod in the shade, then up the stairs to the double doors........However, my Japanese garden with all the other wonderful things is in dispute..... my wife has demanded it for her bloody Thai garden... whatever that is.... probably a mango tree which I'll kill slowly or a lime tree, an even slower death using copper nails..... then I'll build the Japanese garden etc.
There's a few other changes as well, that you should see as we progress. The plans were not completely completed to allow for these changes; they were just taken to the stage the Or Bor Tor and Tesaban engineers demanded at the start for approval... hence the bribe I paid willingly.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story