Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby nanbuilder » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:33 am

One last question (for now). What was the thickness of the concrete pour on top of the slabs?
nanbuilder

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

nanbuilder,
Four inches.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:52 pm

With only slight drizzle today the rebar girls were busy tying off to the chairs on the garage roof. The trench mesh was lade over the top. The reinforced slabs have not been welded together yet, we are hoping to do that tomorrow if it doesn't rain. The crane is booked for tomorrow to lift the reinforced slabs into place on the second floor, however the pour has been postponed till Saturday at least because of the weather and we'll be playing catch-up the whole of this week, but with more rain on the way, who can tell.
We had the small pump running today on the pool hole, but when I took the photo it was still half full (I could have said half empty but I'm an optimist), which means nobody wanted to get in to place braces under the 2nd floor veranda for the reinforced slabs and I can't say I blamed them.
Photos:
Attachments
the pool.jpg
the pool
the second floor veranda.jpg
the second floor veranda with the sagging unbraced supports for the reinforced slabs
the quagmire.jpg
some of the quagmire
rebar girls.jpg
rebar girls
garage roof.jpg
garage roof
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:26 pm

The reinforced slabs were lifted into place this morning and we can finally walk with ease up on the second floor. The welders could finally work on the reinforced slabs on the garage roof and all the gaps were sealed. If we don't get too much rain the final pour is scheduled for Saturday morning and the float crew will be there as well. The crane will be there again because the power floats are heavy and I see no other way to get them up there. It will also be used for the whole pour.
The 2000 superblocks have been ordered for two weeks time, which will give the crew enough time to pull down all the bracing.....then put it back up again for the final 6 columns that need to be poured. The welders start in ernest on the roof beams on Friday, today they just mucked around doing the tie ins between the reinforced slabs.
Some photos:
Attachments
Bracing over the pool.jpg
Bracing over the pool after we pumped it dry
Reinforced slabs finally up.jpg
reinforced slabs finally up on the second floor
Our bodgy steel beam.jpg
Our bodgey concrete/steel beam where the architect forgot about the height of people
Slabs being lifted.jpg
slabs being lifted
Spa bathroom.jpg
Spa bathroom
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Today we started early, but things didn't run smoothly. The crane arrived early and lifted up the two power floats onto the already poured bathrooms, but when they tested both only one motor worked, so they spent the next hour changing motors, but that didn't really matter because our cement supplier rang to say their truck had been involved in an accident with a motorcycle and they didn't know how long he would be. At 1000hrs the first cement truck finally arrived and my builder wouldn't let him pour until the load was checked. It would appear our first cement truck was not going to show at all as he was reported to still be at the accident even though the motorcycle rider had not been too badly injured, his motorbike was still wedged between the back bogey wheels.
And then after we poured the second truck at 1130 hrs the cement company rang and said they could only send one more cube and could we mix the remaining two cubes on site? Finally after a lot of talking to and fro the cement truck arrived with just one cube left over from another pour. The driver, bless his little cotton socks, "suggested" we could mix it in the truck (without telling the company) using the 2 cube bucket on the crane, so we loaded the bucket with gravel, sand and cement and unloaded the lot into the hopper on the truck. !0 minutes later and a lot of water and our mix was ready.
And the weather threatened all morning but held off until an hour after the power floats had finished and the sacking had been lade.
The welding crew seemed more interested in what we were doing than welding. When I got the builder to ask why, they claimed their welder wasn't earthing properly, which it couldn't because the idiots were clamping the earth onto wet oxide paint. So I got ours out and joined two lengths in about 5 minutes (after I scraped back the paint). I told them yesterday not to paint until after they had welded the joints but they knew better. I don't think they'll last more than a week and were told so by myself and the builder. It's a pity, one of them can actually weld, but his partner does nothing except sit and smoke and annoy the other workers, much to the anger of the foreman and builder.
Some photos:
Attachments
garage roof.jpg
Garage roof
forbidding skies.jpg
Forbidding skies all morning
drains around outside.jpg
drains around the outside of the garage roof and second floor veranda
civilised hand rails.jpg
Civilised hand rails for old farts like me (that everyone likes and uses)
a little early.jpg
A little early
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:39 pm

More photos:
Attachments
power float.jpg
Power float
ready mixed.jpg
Call it "Ready Mixed" concrete
mixing two cubes.jpg
Mixing two cubes
Lanko 751.jpg
Lanko 751 bonding liquid
half finished.jpg
Only half finished
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:32 pm

nice one rodger you beat the rain
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 am

Yesterday we went up-country to day three of a five day funeral for one of my wife's uncles. It's probably the only time we see all the "clan" together as they live all over Thailand. It's like a game of musical chairs, one moment you're talking with someone and the next minute they're replaced by someone else. The matriarch of the family, who has raised at least ten unwanted kids besides her own two always presides at these "family" gatherings at the local temple. And of course my wife had to show the photos of the half completed house to the wrong side of the family and now half the drunken bums in Thailand want to "help". When it's finished. When they get someone who speaks English to ask me if they can come to the house warming, I just say "no", it beats the Thai way of talking all around the subject without a clear answer. Of course I invited the matriarch (about 70) when she asked if we were having the house "blessed", then told her to bring her bikini, which had everyone in stitches.
If there's two English words most Thai understand and know it's "bad mouth", which all the undesirables in the "family" know I have, so now they avoid me, and of course all the divorced "aunts" and the nieces and nephews all want to practice their English on me. The "aunts" all want farang husbands because they have had the Thai husbands up to their necks. (Anyone?)
All the Thai "family" men who actually worked for a living and made something of themselves gather together to avoid the riff-raff. It's rather a pleasant experience, if you can block out the awful music coming through 5,000 watt speakers, the dozens of soi (temple) dogs all fighting amongst themselves, the hanger's on and of course the undesirables. And of course there's the usual game of cards running somewhere and mostly it's the women who play.
Hence, for the above reason, no photos.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:23 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Yesterday we went up-country to day three of a five day funeral for one of my wife's uncles.

The drama thickens.... things get very interesting when the story goes away from pure technical to the human experience of it all. I am looking forward to the bikini pics...
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby gliffaes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:17 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:The driver, bless his little cotton socks, "suggested" we could mix it in the truck (without telling the company) using the 2 cube bucket on the crane, so we loaded the bucket with gravel, sand and cement and unloaded the lot into the hopper on the truck. !0 minutes later and a lot of water and our mix was ready.
And the weather threatened all morning but held off until an hour after the power floats had finished and the sacking had been lade.
The welding crew seemed more interested in what we were doing than welding. When I got the builder to ask why, they claimed their welder wasn't earthing properly, which it couldn't because the idiots were clamping the earth onto wet oxide paint. So I got ours out and joined two lengths in about 5 minutes (after I scraped back the paint). I told them yesterday not to paint until after they had welded the joints but they knew better. I don't think they'll last more than a week and were told so by myself and the builder. It's a pity, one of them can actually weld, but his partner does nothing except sit and smoke and annoy the other workers, much to the anger of the foreman and builder.
Some photos:

Bloody Hell initiative or what!! Keep all their numbers Rog!!
Always some fanny will bugger things up re the welders........beats me how they stay "employed" in the loosest sense, Thailand seems more accepting of slackers in general.
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Max and Bee,
Now I could tell you about the time they all got busted for playing cards in my uncle's house (Army Officer) and a tank showed up to the local police station to "bail them out". They are a colourful crew is my extended family and once the ground rules are set, which you did with the crowbar Max, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get on with them. The problem is, I have this bad feeling my wife is being groomed to become the next patriarch. Or the time my wife's brother used my wife's up-country house to spot himself a 100,000 baht loan.......and I'm not completing that story here.

gliffaes,
My builder has a little black book he keeps numbers like that in and when I tried to give him money to give to the driver, he'd already given him the same amount.
I think it comes down to those who want to work and those that no longer care and just want a free ride. The ones that want a free ride normally die young and nobody really cares. I blame the education system that stinks.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Today the columns for the third floor were started. There will be no third floor yet, so we will leave enough rebar exposed (and painted with oxide paint) so that if the whim ever happens, all we have to do is remove the roof and continue up. My builder also suggested a "granny" flat on the roof of the garage would also be a possibility. The mind boggles! No wonder the whole house is over engineered.
The welders didn't show today, which after their Saturday performance and the pay-out they got from me, the builder and the foreman, is not really suprising. If they don't show tomorrow they needn't bother coming back at all. In all, over the two full days they have welded just six lengths of steel together, which would have taken an hour all told. They also painted the steel which they were told not to do. I have paid them nothing so far. The contract was for 80,000 for three lots of stairs, two front gates and the roofs beams. The roof beams had to be completed within three weeks but at the rate they are going it would take them three months. We shall see.
Photos:
Attachments
From the garge roof.jpg
Second floor from the garage roof
Garage roof.jpg
Garage roof
Columns going up.jpg
Columns going up
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:21 pm

The huge storm yesterday put us back on the time we had gained using the power floats, and then early today the mains water pipe broke and we didn't have water to make concrete to finish the columns and it hadn't come back on when I left.
Whatever the builder told the welders must have worked because they've actually done a few beams for the roof and were working the whole time I was there instead of trying to chat-up the rebar girls, of whom one is the foreman's wife.
Now all the wooden supports are down you can actually walk around and mark areas where things will be installed later.
The house gave the illusion of being rather small, especially with all the wooden supports up, but today that all vanished and you can actually see the real size.... what was I thinking a week ago when I was cursing myself for making it too small?
The builder has moved the "office" from the garage into what will be the games room and wanted to know, jokingly, when I was buying the pool table. My answer was, "after the house is complete".
Photos:
Attachments
Columns, second floor.jpg
columns on the second floor that should have been completed today
Welders finally working.jpg
Welders finally welding (The boy in the photo is only allowed to tack weld and if you saw his welds you would know why)
A lot of steel to weld.jpg
A lot of steel to weld
Our new officee.jpg
The new office
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah it looks tiny rodger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now you have a roof you can pull all sorts of strokes to speed things up a lot of prefabricating and painting can carry on even when its raining
you need to kick the pool team in the gonads now or they will cause more agro then the welders especially if you start putting up some of the ground floor walls
Its coming along superbly though and most impresive is the quality of the concreting it just shows they are capable of delivering quality if you push the into it :D

PS i have no objection to sleeping above the garage if i can use the pool :P
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Geordie,
My wife is right onto the pool people and read them the riot act after their effort with the soil under the house. The company is aware they have labour problems and they are also aware they signed a contract with us that has some really heavy penalty clauses in it (it's their contract). So far we haven't invoked any of the penalty clauses, but they are aware they screwed the pour for the second floor with their internal labour dispute. My wife rang them today and told them they could restart "Now" and they assured us they would be doing so, ASAP. Their main problem is with their engineer who just stands, looks, does and says nothing. My builder is ready to take over the contract for them if we get the detailed specs and plans and they supply the material specified in the contract.
Our next step is the stairs to the second floor, the stairs from the garage and to the front entrance. The stairs from the top of the garage to the second floor veranda will be done by the welders.
It's just about time to think buying the superblock and putting in a firm date for the Colorbond roof with insulation to arrive.
The roof above the garage would not be suitable for you Geordie and neither would using the pool. My wife has told me that none of those "Brit hooligans are allowed either inside or outside the house". I think her exact words were, "just who do they think they are, the Thai Army"?
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story