Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:08 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:From my rather normal dictionary the abridged version; Shonky of doubtful integrity or reliability..... rather like being a saint me thinks!

Ace! I have only now found it at http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html.
I will refer to that site more often instead of asking you what you are saying. :D
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:06 am

I'm surprised you don’t speak down-under :shock: what with having been promoted to saint-hood and all.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:12 am

BKKBILL wrote:I'm surprised you don’t speak down-under :shock: what with having been promoted to saint-hood and all.


I think that's a first Bill ... never seen an association between saints and The Land of Aus before .... in fact I think thaifly [RIP] might be offended by it :lol:

No Australian saints come immediately to mind ... and neither do any non-believer saints Fred :D

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 pm

Today I spent 3 hours with an architect at the land sales office opposite my land. From the start to the finish the whole project was mine. I showed him the roughs, told him what I wanted and he drew it.
Not only that he told me things the others didn't, like how wide the house could be according to the size of the land and what Thai law says it can be. That alone made all the other architects look bad because they used the roughs to make it illegal for the size of the land, yet they knew the size right from the start. So we were off and running right from the word go.
And when I asked how much the plans would eventually cost, he told me it would be just a standard charge; 35,000 baht. 10,000 when the two floors are draw, 10,000 after all the changes are made to my satisfaction and then 15,000 baht when the whole thing is complete. There is also a charge of 10,000 to have the plans certified by the engineer from the relevant government agency and then the build can commence anytime from there on. And there is no time limit to when the build must start and finish, it can take 10 years once the plans are certified by him and the engineer.
That is a whole lot different from what I was told previously by other architects. As well he told me once the plan was finished, I get the plans and it's up to me if I authorise him to use those plans again for someone elses build. I already told him he could use them again, if someone is mad enough to want to build the same sort of house.
So the total for the architect and engineer will be 45,000 baht. And because they have a vested interest in the build they will make sure there are no changes without mine, and their permission. Both will be on call if the builder, whoever that is gets stuck.
I now believe I am getting value for money. We will have a weekly session of three hours, he will make the changes, then present them the following week until the three stages are complete. He even wants the small details like the size of my fridge/freezer, size of my gas oven, etc so he can make sure they fit in with the plans.
So after three to four months of being buggerised (dictionary beautified Fred) around, I'm actually looking forwards to the next three months, because that's how long he said it would take him, then there is the engineer after that, so all in all it will be about four months.
And once it is certified and anything goes wrong, then they are liable. (Sinkage, etc)
I know a lot of people will have questions, so I wait with bated breath.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 pm

It sounds good. He is pretty cheap. Did you see any of his previous works and designs?
Roger Ramjet wrote:As well he told me once the plan was finished, I get the plans and it's up to me if I authorise him to use those plans again for someone elses build.

Not to split hairs, but from what I understand they remain the architect's intellectual property. You can specify that he can NOT use them for another build, but that is all.
Roger Ramjet wrote:Both will be on call if the builder, whoever that is gets stuck.

Not for free I would imagine. Ask him what his rates will be.
Roger Ramjet wrote:And once it is certified and anything goes wrong, then they are liable. (Sinkage, etc)

Don't take that too literally. I doubt if you will manage to sue for damages if anything went wrong.

Apart from the above, it does look promising. Good luck and keep us posted. You need to ask his permission to post his designs online.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 pm

I forgot to add that you should ask for the penalties / costs of alterations to the plans and specifications after they have been completed.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:48 am

Fred,
I should have mentioned the book he had filled with 3D renditions of what he had already done. I actually didn't like the way the computer program he uses made them look; too colour saturated and he's added everything, where, I presume, the previous customers wanted it placed. The one thing I don't want is bloody positioning of furniture etc. The one thing that will coming with us, when it is complete is the fridge/freezer, so I just want spaces where his show clutter.
There are going to be times when he says something and I say something and I'm wrong or he is wrong. Even though he speaks builder's English and the boy translates when he doesn't know the word, there is always problems with Thai to any other language.
I'll find out the rates, which will be in the contract, when my wife has them checked.
I'm going to have the job insured, but I need those stamps (architect and engineer) on the blueprints for the insurance company. I'll let you know the cost of that too.
I have already told him about coolthaihouse. He also has his own web site. He has already said yes to posting here.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 am

Saint Fred,
Why in the name of hell would I want to alter something after I spent hours making sure I got it right in the first place? Be like a jeanie (because we don't believe there is a god) saying "Gees I made her tits too big, I can fix that, Shabam." If a mistake happens it will be out with my bloody black biro and slash, slash, slash. I already told him I wanted three spare sets of plans, so I could do just that. I love black biros. This time there will be a blow-up part plan in each room, so there can be no excuses by the builder. I have a big scanner, that takes large paper, so I'm going to scan each room and pin it on the wall, (when it's built). I hate big mistakes. Small ones are fixed with a black biro. I might even get a red one!
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby splitlid » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:20 am

dont use black, it is difficult to see on plans.

redline anything thats a change.

roger- careful with blowing up the plans, they will not be to scale.so cannot be used for dimensioning, only viewing.

Fred- Roger owns the design, not the architect, basically because he was the first to put the idea on paper.if it was the architects ideas and design then he would own it and not roger.its copyright law.
splitlid
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:22 am

slitlid,
I totally agree with you. The house is my idea, the architect is just putting it on paper, in other words, doing what I tell him to do. I personally think intellectual property rights are crap. If you think about it there should be none at all. Ideas are just that, ideas or thoughts, or whims, or whatever you want to call it. I recall "the suits" never complained when people had cassette players and would tape music from the radio. And the suits are trying to have the on-line radio stations banned. If that happens the suits will have shot themselves in the foot. I have an iMac and listen to the Golden Oldies radio stations from the US for free and they are making money because they are playing what people want to listen to and hence attracting listeners and hence advertisers. And if I like a song I buy it because I heard it on the radio. Without that (the radio) there would be no buyers because there would be no free advertising for the song. I bought $10 worth (about 30 LPs) of red albums in Taiwan in 1967 when I was on R and R, they lasted long enough for a few complete sets of real to real tapes to be made and by the time they wore out (15 years ago) I could afford the real thing.
This time I hope I am right in the Thai to English translation and Saint Fred is wrong.
Can you get your child labour to build me a paddle pop stick model? I'll supple the sticks!
I'll keep all posted.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:06 am

This morning I received a phone call from the multinational real estate company that is professionally managing my property. Their builder, who is a policeman, (so he must be a crook), finally submitted a quote for the renovations to my house in Australia, after he completed the repairs the bikey gang had done. It was not a good phone call! They now want $10,000 more dollars I haven't got at the moment. In fact I actually became rather angry, just like Fred did when we suggested it was Feng Shui or some such other fable, that changed his one step to three. Just like Fred, (he is no longer a saint), I became slightly agitated and bit back (naughty Fred read what you wrote earlier, you wanted just one step, not three), but I thought about it a bit, after I had put the phone down rather forcefully and rang back. It would appear that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at the totally professional real estate agents.
The outcome of the conversation was, they will take the money from the rent and "improve" the house and property in stages over 6 months. Yes, they have had people interested. Yes, they have had two offers of $130,000 (why wasn't I told) but if I spend $10,000 on new carpets, painting, a little of this and that, they can get $170,000, which is what they told me they could get in the first place. And yes it will be easy to sell because the market has come back in the last few weeks. So the question I face is, after all the bullshit they gave me, do I sell for $130,000 now or do I fork out another $10,000. And taking into consideration the fact he told me if I sold some months ago I would only get $110,000 and $10,000 has already raised the price to $130,000 with cash offers. Will the people with $130,000 be able or willing to raise $170,000 or even $160,000 when the work is completed in 6 months?
So, because we now own the land I intend building on, and didn't actually intend building straight away, that means feng shui doesn't apply at this stage, I had to ponder the pros and cons. And to be honest it was a hard decision that had to be faced logically. So what I did was think of the lucky numbers 769 or was it 796 I had used for the "lucky" lottery when I won 4,000 baht at the land office, open my Bangkok Post at the Outlook section and read my stars, without being angry.
I now intend to renovate the house and try for the high $160,000 +++ for my house, which of course was just logical.
I think I should notify dozer that building this house may run into at least a hundred pages of his fabulous coolthaihouse web site and I'll probably be 70 years old before it is completed, but logically I won't be able to die before then, so that's what I'll do. Dozer, you have been notified. I think dozer may want to charge me rental space. So let me check this and make sure I haven't real when I should have written reel. I do hate mistakes.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby fredlk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I actually became rather angry, just like Fred did when we suggested it was Feng Shui or some such other fable

:oops: Not angry, just irritated. :D You all might have Thai wives telling you what to do, but I don't and so I wanted to put the record straight once and for all. Still friends? :wink:
Roger Ramjet wrote:I think I should notify dozer that building this house may run into at least a hundred pages of his fabulous coolthaihouse web site

I don't think that will be a problem. I'm already on page 28 and we haven't even got walls and a roof and I'll be building until at least 2013.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am

I don’t understand when you say the realty company just called and wants $10,000 more.

If their contractor the policeman has completed the repairs is this the quote that he has finally submitted for that, a quote for more work or an invoice for the work he has already done.

As you know dealing with property from afar can be a trying time, dealing with realty companies multinational or local worse.

If your not going to build in the near future then your decision to wait is probably your best move. It really all comes down to money. It’s what makes the world go round.

As you say “a hard decision that had to be faced logically” not sure if the policeman, (so he must be a crook), Fred's feelings, feng shui, or lucky numbers even if they are 769 or 796 will have much of a bearing on the sale of your house.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Fred (first),
Of course we're still friends, friends don't fall-out over 3 steps when they actually wanted just 1, just because feng shui changed that, or the taxi driver, or the 3 legged chicken born down the road. And of course it's totally your build, with feng shui and his mates...... Nah just kidding Fred, what's two steps to friends.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:54 pm

BBKBILL,
Ah, you must have missed a thread I posted a lot earlier, which can be very easy when a lot is happening. The bikey gang, before they were arrested and tossed out did $10,000 worth of damage by punching holes in walls etc. I got an itemised list of the repairs and they actually refunded me about $500. I sent that money some time ago and the repairs were completed. This $10,000 is about new carpet, painting ceilings, replacing an old wooden stove, insulation in the roof (again) and then it will jump in value from $130,000 to $170,000, or that's what I have been told. And that's the amount I will probably need for the build if I do things like Fred has (and feng shui) and get it just right, or the way I (and feng shui) want it.
So instead of getting 3,000,000+++ Baht, I should get about 5,000,000 Baht from the sale of my house in Australia and for my build here, that should be enough and what I wanted in the first place after spending months here silently working the figures. At the start I worked on 3 to 6 months for the sale, it looks like it might be 12 months now, so the new house will have to be built within 12 months of getting the money through instead of 18 months.
Really in actuality, I think the Real Estate company just want to keep my property under their management (if you can call it that) for as long as possible. I told them if I flew back to Australia I would sell it privately by open auction at the end of a month with the help of my SAS Major friend. The mere mention of Dan's name makes them suddenly honest.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest