Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Geordie,
The pool costs more than your wine cellar, so I think I'll just settle for the pool, being a one bottle of wine man a year. And, I have a rice paddy right next door so I'll be able to swim in it three times a year as well, just so I can be like you poor people.
To answer your question about square metres.... none of us can really agree, some want to count things I don't want to and I want to count things they don't want to, but to be on the conservative side it's over 420 square metres without the roof of the garage counted, even though it is part of the house. I haven't even bothered with the covered walkways, so let's be conservative and say 400 square metres and we can't go wrong.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:28 am

Thats quite a size Rodger ; Well actually its huge just kidding about the pool i did at one point joke about filling the cellar and having a scuba party i would love to see it one day other than if the wife saw it i would be in the crap
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:43 am

Its going to be a very big house and massive like a middle age castle ! wow
Sunpax

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:16 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Max and Bee,
Yes Max, it depends on weight load distribution, distance from foundation and what's under the foundation, type of rebar, size of rebar and finally size of beam (how much concrete is in it). On this one I do not have the formula.

Once again thanks for the information. Today we have started to make the wood forms/bamboo for first floor beams, so i am curious to see how that goes.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Max, these are the photos I took of the pre-stressed concrete slabs on display at Thai Watsadu today. These are all 3 metres in length. They can all be custom built if you ask. If the company delivers they have a small crane on the back of their truck because they are very heavy. Using them save hours of work.
Attachments
Pre-stressed slabs.jpg
Pre-stressed concrete slabs with the different amounts of rods in them
5 rods.jpg
5 Rods
4 Rods.jpg
4 Rods
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Max; and others
Here's the photos of the different types of rebar for the beams. The heavier the load, the more rebar is needed to dissipate that load over a wider area and different areas get different stresses placed on them IE the areas that have stairs attached, free standing walkways, bathrooms and in my case, a swimming pool, which they start to build tomorrow.
I also purchased the trench mesh today at 3,600 baht for 100 sq m. Two were bought but the whole house will need another 3 rolls even though all the bathroom floors will be done with straight rebar at 4 inch intervals crossways. I know someone will ask, so I'll get in first, the reason we are over-engineering again is because of the spa on the second floor.
I also purchased a pump that will serve the whole house. I think it should be big enough. It will run directly from the two 1000 litre storage tanks which will be filled using the city's water supply (which has little pressure). All the pipes outside will be 2" then down to 1 1/2" then down to 1". The hot water system is all in 1" (I think it is, might be 1 1/2") in the special pipe I talked about earlier. I bought the whole roll of 100 metres and should be enough.
The 100 litre hot water tank is now at my townhouse.... my missus will spew again... I just got rid of most of the other stuff I had stored here.
Attachments
More rebar.jpg
How to join.jpg
Floor for the downstairs bathroom.jpg
Straight rebar for the downstairs shower and toilet
Big to small.jpg
Big rebar with small.jpg
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:09 pm

More photos:
Attachments
Tying in.jpg
Tying in the rebar
Trench mesh and PVC.jpg
Trench mesh and PVC piping for the plumbing
Rebar sticking out.jpg
In the middle of the photo the rebar for the inside walkway to be linked to the pool
Pump for the house water .jpg
Pump for the house water
My wife's Isaan truck.jpg
My wife's Isaan truck (I gave it to her).
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Roger,
Why did you choose a shallow well pump, I assume that the tanks will be installed above the pump.
The problem with this style of pump with a positive inlet pressure is that the air in the pressure tank is gradually replaced with water and the pump hunts on and off with the slightest drop in pressure ie, leaky toilet cistern. a quick turn on / off of a tap etc. It is not a major problem if you are aware of it and drain the tank on a regular basis or when it starts to hunt.
The best arrangement is a pump fitted with a pressure accumulator which has a bladder separating air / from water and which has a bit of capacity to handle a small leak or a tap being turned on/off.
The best unit available in Thailand is a Grundfos CH x xx PT18, there are 8 models available - I will use the CH2-40 PT18 -this will give 40 litre/min at 250kPa with an accumulator capacity of 18 litres, they are not cheap at around Bht 14,000 but undoubtable the worlds best domestic pump on the market and should gives years of trouble free operation.
Ians

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Rodger you rebar has at least one good guy working on it (kidding) the rebar details show someone has been very careful with attention to details huge bars though did they bend them on site ?? how ??
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Ians,
The cost of the pump was about 12,000 odd baht. I looked at inverter pumps as well at twice the price. The pump will be below the tanks and at their outlet. I asked the people there what would keep pace with the 100 litre hot water system, the spa and the pool and I was told this would do the trick. I have a smaller one here in the townhouse and it has given no trouble in 10 years. Went it starts to turn on/off I bleed it, which I've done just twice in that time.
The mega store I deal with doesn't sell Grundfos because I enquired about them, so I took what I could get and had a little knowledge of. If it doesn't work out I'll order a Grundfos, but I was assured it would work. I'll let you know in a few months.

Geordie.
They cut and bend everything on site. If your recall I bought a whacking great rebar cutter at the start of the build. I also bought a cheap Hitachi cutting machine that they prefer to use. Unfortunately only the biggest bloke and I can cut the rebar with the rebar cutter. They actually have a special table that has steel bolted into it for bends. I know, I welded the steel for them. Once they saw it worked, they went and welded more steel for other bends. This builder's crew loves to learn new tricks and if they see it's easier they'll use it the whole time. They are very exacting with measurements and either the builder or foreman will double check with the plans or a tape, mostly a tape. I may as well not be there, except for all the changes we've (the builder and I) made to the plans.
I'm sorta going with the flow at the moment and rather enjoying the whole thing.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm

I don't think the inverter pumps are the way to go either (although not completely sure as I haven't researched it properly), as there is no accumulator they will probably hunt on and off, inverter pumps are in their element when running constantly with variable demand.
Ians

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for the info & pics Roger, very helpful. No questions at the moment but I am sure some will arise shortly.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:25 am

I do have a question Roger, I posted it in the appropriate section:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2293&start=30#p27043
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Just a quick update, formwork is still being fitted but we should pour tomorrow or the next day.
The quote from Steeltech for the Colorbond roof came in at 120,000. My wife spoke to their techs today about either PU foam or Microfiber, which they have just introduced. After a conference with various people we have decided to go for PU foam because Microfiber can deteriorate quickly and is harder to instal with our sidings which will come down 1 metre.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 am

Good choice on the foam rodger probably the more expensive option but you are only going to do it once (hopefully) a good thing with the foam is the local wildlife will be easy to spot if they try and set up home on it there have been a few discusions and nothing eats it looking forward to the pour how much concrete in the first pour
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story