Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 18, 2011 6:24 am

sezze,
I agree with you on the fire extinguishers, they were over-priced, but I didn't buy them for that reason. Nor did I buy the piece of paper to stroke my ego. I bought them for good will and I will invite them to my house warming because they did become part of the build and the paper will be framed and displayed just to please them. The red box is security and if you ask anyone here, besides anyone who runs a bar, which I don't frequent at all, you'll find they not only do their job well, they also arrive on time at "events".
We had a serious confrontation here in this village involving armed soldiers and a stupid builder which could/would have deteriorated except the "Patrol Police" arrived 5 minutes after being called and sorted the whole thing out. A fire that broke-out was also put out by the "Fire Police" immediately. These police do not rely on bribes for their mia nois, they rely on "donations" and I've never seen them crap in their own nest in all the years I've lived here. The money I pay a month gets written off as peace of mind and good will.
Having been fined, many times, by the "other" police, I won't comment about them as long as they never link their computers to the Department of Transport because then I would be in trouble over points, or the lack thereof.
Roger Ramjet

Postby sezze » Fri May 20, 2011 6:18 am

You obviously know your area better then me . In the village where i stay , nothing much happens . Very rarely somebody fights and or somebody yekyeks to other people in town . I actually saw the police here 1 time in all the time i stay here .Nobody over here has got the red box , so if they would ask me i only have the info i have .The info i have is from my past when i did pass a lot of times to the southern islands ( Samui ) and the bars and i know the situation over there with the red boxes .
There are no policeshiefs over here to invite them to the housewarming party let alone any police of any kind .
I guess it must depend on area to area , and everybody has to make their own decision and on the knowledge of the village .
sezze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Today the last of rebar in the foundations was laid (minus the concrete). The rebar columns are now being inserted and tied off in the next two days, so the pour for the concrete will take place on Tuesday morning.
My building manager was sacked tonight by my wife, he had just too many extracurricular activities going on and was sleeping during the day whilst the rest of the workers worked. He had been warned twice before and placed on probation but he just couldn't help himself. What a pity, he'll now go back to being the village odd job man, if anyone will employ him, which is the real pity because his wife has cancer and they needed the money I was paying him.
I am pondering placing the money I would have paid him aside as an end of build bonus for the workers .
There are three swimming pool companies bidding for the indoor pool job which/who arrive on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. They can talk to my builder first, then me, then my wife. All previous quotes have been binned through a variety of reasons; mostly because of stupid quotes (greed), stupid foremen (trying to put the pool on the roof) and lying, because I detest liars (I sent you an email/e-message/left a message on your answering machine and a few others too many to name... and by a farang company too)! So we start again and we go by the book, no silly excuses, no silly bids and no inflated prices because it's for a "farang". Anything around 350,000 is fine because that figure (actually 318,000 -325,000 was taken off three Thai sites for pool builders and they are the ones bidding this time.... no "farang" companies!
Here's a few photos of the rebar for the foundations and columns......please note not all columns are created equal.
Attachments
All rebar is not equal.jpg
one of the 3 main columns.jpg
One of three major columns
Rebar column for back steps.jpg
Rebar column to support back steps
Prior to the column being placed.jpg
Prior to the column being placed
Different sizes of rebar.jpg
different sizes of rebar within each column differs
Roger Ramjet

Postby otis-a » Sun May 22, 2011 11:08 am

RR
u dont think u building foremans wife having cancer has anything to do with his being up late?
I kno buziness is buziness
but is this saked foreman the same man upon whom u previously heaped so much praise?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 24, 2011 4:20 pm

To all,
In the last three days we've been busy with pool quotes (3 companies each on separate days) the final tie offs, getting in more cement, sand and gravel and marking each rebar column at the exact same height using the thai method of a length of flexible pipe and water levels.
The pool people have come and gone and two quotes have come in (336,450 and 450,000), the other one is still in limbo, but I'll post it when it arrives later. I'm not going to go into great detail on the wherefores, what-fores and why-fores of pool companies in Thailand, except to say, most of them must think we Farangs are stupid and I'm disappointed in 90% of them. What were they thinking when I was quoted 1.5 million and 1.2 million for a simple salt water chlorinated skimmer type 6 x 3 pool? And all the malarkey about "bang bang" piles being better than bore piles.....sigh.
The crane arrived at 0800hrs sharp this morning. Cost 6,000 baht a day including the cement bucket (normally an extra 500 baht). The cement truck arrived 15 minutes later with 5 cubes aboard. By 1300 hrs the whole pour for the foundations was finished. A total of 15.5 cubes was poured from the trucks and 1.5 cubes mixed on site for the last hole. Each load was sampled when it arrived and sent for testing at the supplier.
Every hole was wet-down before the cement was poured and after it was filled we used the wriggler in 5 second dips to level it out.
I threw about 1000 baht of satang coins into all of the foundation holes at the start. Everybody thought it was a great idea, but for all the wrong reasons. I just plain hate satang coins and anything I can do to get rid of them from circulation in Thailand I'll do, so all the ones that had accumulated over the years went to a concrete grave. Perhaps they'll be worth something in a few hundred years, who knows.
So here are the photos in no order:
Attachments
The bucket.jpg
The bucket
The builder making sure .jpg
Making sure it's finished
My builder checking the load.jpg
Builder checking each load
Excellent service from this company.jpg
Excellent service from this company
Crane and truck.jpg
Crane and truck
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 24, 2011 4:24 pm

More photos:
Attachments
pouring in process.jpg
pouring
wriggler at work.jpg
wriggler at work
without being wriggled.jpg
Without being wriggled
wetting the foundations.jpg
Wetting foundations
wetting.jpg
Wetting
Pour finished.jpg
Pour finished
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Your life in 'service' is really paying off Roger ... such fastidious attention to detail is I would suggest unprecedented in a CTH documented build story. Few will have the necessary credentials .. nor desire/need maybe ... to follow your example but I have no doubt that you will exemplify a new standard of adherence to 'industry best practice' to aspire to. I assume you will be intending to end your days there and therefore 'selling on' or 'getting your money back' is not an issue. Really enjoying your story and one day in the future when all this is behind you I look forward to visiting and admiring .... but please no alcohol-free beer! I believed the story I convinced myself with in the UK that I only really drink beer as I like the taste ... not as easily convinced here with their 'light' beers but I would rather drink 100% fruit juice [as I do regularly] than try to kid myself that alcohol-free beer tastes anything other than disgusting.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sunpax » Tue May 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Roger how many cms ciment do you put in the hole ? and the pilar we see are for what section of the house ? the single story ?

Ps "your" trucks are very colorfull not like mine...is it not Cpac ?
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 25, 2011 6:08 am

Sunpax,
Each hole is different, the larger ones take nearly a cube, the smaller ones a lot less.... all you have to do is measure the length, breadth and height and multiply and it will give an "exact" figure. We calculated we would need 15 cubes for the foundations, but it doesn't always work like that because you get over-pour on some. The best way is calculate what you think you will need to cover the rebar, but have a back-up cement mixer or workers ready to mix a bit extra if you run short.
The pillars are for the ground floor only, which is raised 1 metre off the ground to allow for airflow under the house. The taller ones are for the garage which sits on the ground.
The company we used for the concrete, Fast Concrete was the 2nd back-up company after CPAC and another tried to stretch out the delivery times to suit themselves.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 25, 2011 6:27 am

MGV12,
I cannot take the credit for the detailed work, my builder is the one doing the job and he was trained by Germans.
The planning was simple, I just sat at a computer for 12 months and read all the mistakes made on this forum and said "I'll make sure that doesn't happen" so I noted it down or printed out the photos, which are all in binders. My wife must take some of the credit too because I just give her the ideas, then let her loose (that can be dangerous), but she is the liaison between the "Thai factor" and me and I can't suffer the bullshit, but she can.
There are just two things to remember when building a house in Thailand; choose your builder carefully and make sure he speaks English if you have "ideas".
The cost is still on track and should come in at around 2.7 million..... half for the builder, half for the material.
You and a few others are going to have a field day soon, as even the best practices fall by the wayside sometimes...... I'll just leave you in suspense on that one.
Name your beer or drink and if I don't already have it, I'll get it. I rarely drink (bottle of wine once a year), but I don't mind drinkers, having been a tippler myself.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sunpax » Wed May 25, 2011 7:57 am

Roger my question was because your holes seem to don't be so large, my holes by exemple are 1,50m for the small and 2 m for 8 big....and for 2 stories.
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 25, 2011 8:38 am

Sunpax,
I have 50 bore piles because I'm building on soil not rock. The piles were to be "bang bang" or driven piles but there are houses near me so I went with the bore piles so I wouldn't do damage to the other houses and annoy the neighbours. Each bore pile will support 40 ton plus compared to just 12 ton for the driven piles (I have an indoor swimming pool), as well I want the house to be standing, no mater what nature throws at it, for the next 100 + years with little maintenance, so I personally/intentionally over-engineered it.
The foundations sit on the bore piles, in some cases 3 bore piles, depending on the weight they will carry for the rest of the structure. The house will be built out of double superblock and hence will carry little vertical and horizontal weight compared to the strength of the bore piles with foundations sitting over them. I had many meetings with both the architect (35,000 baht) and Tesaban and Or Bor Tor engineers (free) in regard to the size of the foundations and what they would carry in regards to weight.
The single (small) foundations you see in the photos are for the garage/workshop only. The center of the house has three major triple foundations and in other places many smaller double foundations that are linked to carry the weight of concrete stairs. You must count the bore piles under the rebar to get an idea. It's all about load distribution. You should talk to your engineer.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sunpax » Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 am

Ah ok ! garage and shop foundations ! your house will be very big !
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 26, 2011 7:29 am

Formwork has been started. We are using sacking instead of builder's jute/hessian to keep the concrete wet for 30 days, it's the same animal actually, just a bit heavier. We'll pour by hand for the columns. Pool contract for 336,450 baht will be signed today or tomorrow and they'll start straight away, so the place is going to be busy.
Here's a couple of photos:
Attachments
Formwork in progress.jpg
Formwork for the columns started
a few doubles and a triple for the back steps.jpg
Foundations for the back of the house...some are doubles, one is a triple
sacking used  .jpg
sacking used as an alternative
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 26, 2011 9:45 am

Good stuff RR I’m looking forward to this build. As you have alluded to changes will be made as the build progresses. Staying flexible and willing to make those changes is what makes the job successful. IMHO

Seems a very good quote for the pool.

Just wondering the paddy in the background of the pictures. Will you have that for a view or like most things in BKK it is slated for shops and houses.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story