Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby MGV12 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:10 am

Your footwear on the work site leaves a lot to be desired from a health & safety standpoint.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Today I had a visit from six policemen in a civilian car. Two in plainclothes, four in uniform including the local commander. My gun-dog actually growled as soon as they got out of the car. Two immigration police, two local police (Major and Colonel) and two fire/police. The first thing I said was to my builder, "What have you done"? And I noticed a few workers looked guilty, including my build manager. If it had been in Australia I would have said "Run .......the police know about your ......." (fill-in the blanks) or "It wasn't me officer, it was him". But this being Thailand I waited because I had an idea it would cost me money. So after all the introductions, including a surprise that 5 of them actually spoke passable English, the fire/police did their spiel and showed my builder a pamphlet on fire extinguishers. Meanwhile the local commander asked if I wanted a Police Red Box, which I did, so we killed two birds with the one stone and bought two fire extinguishers for 2,400 baht each (probably worth 800 only) and my house was put on the watch list for 1,000 baht a month. The Or Bor Tor's stamps on the plans were glanced at, the Immigration police looked bored and didn't check anything, I was presented with a certificate, issued a receipt, given the Bang Ba Thong Police Commander's business card with instructions to call him personally if I had a problem, and away they went.
I'll post a photo of the extinguishers later.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 03, 2011 7:01 pm

Here are the photos. Please note I hid my name because my daughter, after she looked at it, said I was a fraud and wanted to know when I had attended the Police Fire Course and become competent at fighting fires. I told her it was a crash course, pull the pin, aim at fire, squeeze the trigger. All I got was "you paid a bribe". Hence the hidden name.
Attachments
2X15 fire extinguishers.jpg
Two fire extinguishers
Certificate.jpg
Certificate of competency
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Tue May 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Rodger I think the little Miss is being a tad hard on you. I believe some politicians here have been elected with diplomas not near as official looking as yours.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Wed May 04, 2011 3:26 am

Well thats not too bad Rodger i thought they had mugged you off with a couple of fire extinquishers i did not realize that you had a training course as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
What you need now is a golf buggy and you can have your own little fire station as if you do not have enough to do
By the way if you can get either the dirt the concrete or bricks to burn you will make a fortune in waste disposal :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Super8man » Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Roger

Are these the switches http://www.hacothailand.com/product-eng.html I started another thread about Euro modules and faceplates. But these look like the type we could use.

We're still in the looking at plans type of house we want stage, not sure if it will be single or 2 floors, but with Tik keeps saying 5 bedrooms needed I think it will be 2 floors. but its very useful to pick little bits of info from everyone on CTH. I keep checking almost everyday to see what is been built for ideas.

Just asking can you get STEEL toed safety flip flops :lol:
Best Wishes

David & No Tik now so sad
Super8man

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Super8man,
In answer to your question about Haco, the answer is yes and their catalogue is huge. I couldn't recall who asked about the euro switches, faceplates and also the on/off type power outlets, so I just posted everything and hoped the people who asked would see and reply. Homepro stock their switches, but they were "hidden" under the cheap stuff. If you sweet talk the staff they will even give you their catalogue.
I had a look at all the different switches, power outlets etc but Haco seemed to fit my requirements to a tee. They are fairly cheap, very well made and conform to English, Euro, US and Australian standards as far as I can gather from their catalogue. My biggest concern was whether Thai electricians could use them. When the answer was yes, they became my number one choice.
The original plans for my house were for 4 bedrooms upstairs, however, after much thought about guests, mother-in-laws, distant relatives, I changed it quickly to three, which leaves just one guest room spare. We do have (welcome) relatives who come to Bangkok at times, so that room is for their use. We are considering building a guest house and maid's quarters when we sell this townhouse after we move into the new house. The budget for that will be just over 1 million, but that won't be for at least a year.
My thongs (flip flops as you call them) are hi-so fashion from Australia. They have "Reef" written on them, so if they are good enough for walking on reefs, so they must be armour plated. I might just dig out my old blasting hardhat with all the luminous stickers all over it and the fold down ear muffs, but that won't be until the second floor is started. Health and safety is not in an infantry soldier's vocabulary! Can you imagine a (fictitious) death report about "Harry"? "Harry" failed to observe army health and safety standards by being shot and killed by the enemy. I think two Thai Police fire extinguishers make my build a cut above the rest for health and safety, especially in Thailand.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri May 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Three workers left yesterday for a week to attend a wedding. When they return a carpenter will be with them to do the column/foundation work. Yesterday a rebar man arrived to cut and bend all the rebar for the foundations. We have done the layout for the foundations using string and fishing line. It has taken two days so far and will probably take until mid next week to finish because everything is plumbed in. All the foundations and columns have been marked A to G and 1 to 8, then plumbed to mark out the places for the foundation wood for pouring the concrete.
The architect arrived yesterday along with the Or Bor Tor engineer. The Or Bor Tor engineer said we could go up another two floors if we wanted..... which might be an option later if we don't want to build on the next plot. The builder's brother (an engineer) also arrived and we all revised the size of the foundations.... by 10 cm in the end.
The rains have been annoying as each foundation hole has to be pumped out all over again and everything being measured so exactly is time consuming, but this part has to be right or otherwise everything else will be wrong.
Here are some photos in no particular order:
Attachments
plumbing each corner.jpg
Plumbing for edges
Plumb bobbing centre.jpg
Plumbing center
Pencil marks for the chippy.jpg
So the chippy knows where boards go
Pencil marks.jpg
Pencil marks
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri May 06, 2011 8:00 pm

More:
Attachments
Squaring up.jpg
Making sure with a square
String lines.jpg
String lines
Numbers.jpg
Numbers
each has a number.jpg
Each has a number
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon May 09, 2011 5:27 pm

All the measurements have been completed and pencilled in on the concrete base for the foundations. The two brickies have been laying breezeblock for the outside wall/formwork for the pour. The rebar has all been cut to size and is now undercover until it is placed for the foundations, which won't happen until the workers arrive back in 5 days (all gone except one for the wedding). We have placed a drainage hole in the base of the breeze block just incase it rains. When the rebar is in we pour in one day, which will take about 14 cubes, then the ground will be packed around the foundations after 48 hours, then onwards, upwards and sideways for the first floor.
With the holidays and the wedding everything is dragging, but we are still way in front of schedule by my estimates.
Attachments
form work for the large ones.jpg
Larger foundation
Nearly finished.jpg
nearly completed
outside formwork with drain.jpg
all have drains
String lines in place.jpg
string lines in place
Rebar cut and bent.jpg
rebar cut and bent
outside formwork.jpg
outside formwork
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:"just incase it rains."

Look forward to the day when I can say that!

All looks very professional ... you certainly appear to have selected the right team.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon May 09, 2011 6:11 pm

MGV12,
I normally sit with the builder for at least 1 hour a day and discuss what should happen next, then ask him for his ideas on how he wants to do it. The great part is he speaks English and has built in Germany. The other factor is he's there from 0800hrs in the morning until late at night. When he's not there, my build manager, under threat of death from my wife makes sure our orders are carried out to the letter. I have absolutely no worries therefore.
The fact that I took so long planning everything and read all the problems with the builds here also helped immensely.
The juju doctor tells me it will now rain for 40 days and 40 nights and you should change the pond to a swimming pool for your wife, then it will cease. The one thing that you can be sure of here is Murphy's Law.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I have absolutely no worries therefore.

Never worry but always stay focused ... may your build go against the norm and enable you to always be able to say that.

Roger Ramjet wrote:The juju doctor tells me it will now rain for 40 days and 40 nights and you should change the pond to a swimming pool for your wife, then it will cease. The one thing that you can be sure of here is Murphy's Law.

Let it go Roger ... let it go. The lovely Sao will be invited to swim in it before the fish take occupancy ... if she likes it too much I will take a trip and leave them to sort it out between them.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 17, 2011 7:05 pm

This morning most of the workers returned from the wedding and work has started again, this time on the rebar for the foundations. There are also five new workers to replace the two that had to return to high school. By the time I arrived at 1300hrs most of the rebar was cut and bent and waiting on the two rebar ladies to tie together. The base and sides will be done first, then the top with the rebar for the start of the columns tied in later. It should be about ten days before we can pour the concrete to complete the foundations and then we'll start on the first floor and packing the soil around the foundations.
Strangely the rain has not effected us much because of the drain holes we placed in the bottom of the foundations, with just two having to be pumped out today. Another accommodation shack is also being constructed because the carpenter and plumber will arrive shortly, probably with wives too.
Nothing much to show, so just three photos:
Attachments
Rebar cut and shaped.jpg
Rebar cut and shaped ready for the ladies
Upside down.jpg
Upside down
Ladies at work.jpg
Ladies at work
Roger Ramjet

Postby sezze » Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Today I had a visit from six policemen in a civilian car. Two in plainclothes, four in uniform including the local commander. My gun-dog actually growled as soon as they got out of the car. Two immigration police, two local police (Major and Colonel) and two fire/police. The first thing I said was to my builder, "What have you done"? And I noticed a few workers looked guilty, including my build manager. If it had been in Australia I would have said "Run .......the police know about your ......." (fill-in the blanks) or "It wasn't me officer, it was him". But this being Thailand I waited because I had an idea it would cost me money. So after all the introductions, including a surprise that 5 of them actually spoke passable English, the fire/police did their spiel and showed my builder a pamphlet on fire extinguishers. Meanwhile the local commander asked if I wanted a Police Red Box, which I did, so we killed two birds with the one stone and bought two fire extinguishers for 2,400 baht each (probably worth 800 only) and my house was put on the watch list for 1,000 baht a month. The Or Bor Tor's stamps on the plans were glanced at, the Immigration police looked bored and didn't check anything, I was presented with a certificate, issued a receipt, given the Bang Ba Thong Police Commander's business card with instructions to call him personally if I had a problem, and away they went.
I'll post a photo of the extinguishers later.

Hmm , imho , your daughter is right . It is just paying for a fancy looking paper and fire extinquishers , who are a lot cheaper in the shops . I've seen and known people who did pay the police 500 baht each month as they were barowners . In 3 years they called the police once ( i was there ) because there was trouble and they turned up well within the highspeed timeframe ( 2 DAYS later ) . He stopped paying after that with exactly the same service ( calling and 2 days later they show up ) .
sezze

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story