Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Fred,
That's where the problem is I think. I took my roughs for the five stages of the build with me (a copy for the boy selling us the property) because he has a working relationship with the three builders who are all building the warehouses and flats at the end of the soi. He looked at the half finished architects plans and called the three builders who came across straight away and looked at stages I wanted, compared them to the plans and all said "easy, no problem".
And at that stage everything seemed to go belly-up with the architect because they all started talking in Thai furiously. The architect seemed very putout. The boy told me later that the architect was trying to make the build sound more complicated than it was. One of the builders (female) just did the toss of the head and walked away. These people (builders) have been building huge warehouses and high rise flats next to them for the last three years so I think they know what they are doing as I've seen their work. (You can see the warehouses and flats in the photos at the start of the build).
Tomorrow I shall have a full day with the boy, at the land office, who is dead set on this build so he can use it to promote the rest of the land he has for sale (which I have no objection to) as he is onsite the whole time and will call me if there are any problems when the build starts. He's also been around a few times to my townhouse and knows what I want.
Tomorrow I'll make up my mind whether to start all over again with architects as they are loath to even present contracts for perusal. I have told them I don't want them in English because my wife will be signing off on them once she's had them checked.
I think both architects thought that I was willing to spend beyond the budget. They are wrong. If necessary I will build the house over 5 years in stages, but I will not be going over budget because if you can build this house in America for 4-5 million baht (depending on the area), then you can certainly do it for less in Thailand.
I have been given the names of two architects by the builders at the site who told me if it didn't work out to call them.
The main thing I regret now is no longer having Mini Cad + 4 on this computer because otherwise I would do all the work myself.
I'll keep everyone posted.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks Roger for the update.
Roger Ramjet wrote:Tomorrow I'll make up my mind whether to start all over again with architects as they are loath to even present contracts for perusal.

I still think you need to start afresh. You got off to a bad start with a couple of people already and so one way or another you are sure to be disappointed.
There are enough architects around at varying prices and generally well qualified.
You know exactly what you want and so it should not be too difficult for one of them to translate that for you into working drawings.
I recommend a contract with the architect per square metre which is better than a percentage of the building costs. Less chance of your being screwed.
Roger Ramjet wrote:The main thing I regret now is no longer having Mini Cad + 4 on this computer because otherwise I would do all the work myself.

I have 3D Home Architect which was easy to use and there is always the excellent and free Google Sketchup.
Roger Ramjet wrote:I'll keep everyone posted.

Do that. :wink:
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:42 am

ahh you computer buffs???
what happend to a pencil and a fag packet
seriously though even if you are into computing (i am a lost cause)i always found a sheet of graph paper to make sense and give a good preliminary idea on scale /sizes
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:49 am

Getting a good architect can at times be a arduous task. They are the ones who put your ideas, needs, and desires into a form your construction team understands. Get him right and you are off to the best start.

I do like the plan and elevation shots. This should be a nice looking house.

Your roof seems to be flat on the drawings. I would think if you are planning to use Colorbond roofing there will need to be a slope.

Cad programs available today make building and viewing plans much easier without the need of computer knowledge and the 3D option lets large or small errors be noticed and corrected without the need of an eraser or whiteout. (for all the Geordie s out there :lol: )
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:17 am

I can also recommend Chief Architect [ http://www.chiefarchitect.com/ ] as a design aid ..... it's not as challenging as some [I am no computer buff] and gives you all the tools you need to produce a DIY design project ... you could easily produce a concept to hand over to a registered Thai architect who will then produce plans ....... in that way you might stand a better chance of your 'mind's eye dream' becoming a reality ...... as against the architect forcing their ideas on you ..... or 'bite the bullet' and go it alone, as many contractors/teams will happily build from your renderings. Chief Architect is around US$4000 direct but I understand that fully functional copies can be picked up cheaper here in Thailand :wink:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:44 am

MGV12 wrote:I can also recommend Chief Architect ... Chief Architect is around US$4000 direct but I understand that fully functional copies can be picked up cheaper here in Thailand :wink:

Roger is using an Apple Mac.
My recommendations cost either $29.95 or FREE.
Your recommendation is more expensive than buying and training your own architect. :lol:
(Your other recommendation is illegal.)
fredlk

Postby dozer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am

I have had good luck with ArchiCad as well as many other members of the forum (ie. attila, atlasshrugged). It is also expensive if you chose to pay for it.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 pm

fredlk wrote:My recommendations cost either $29.95 or FREE.

No doubt but I suggest Chief Architect might have a little more depth and variety :D
It is available for the Mac and has recently been reduced I see to the 'bargain' price of $2195

Your recommendation is more expensive than buying and training your own architect. :lol:

But then he still wouldn't do exactly what you asked him to :evil:

(Your other recommendation is illegal.)

Are you that one Farang who never bought a 'dodgy' VCD Fred? :roll: ... maybe you should also tell the thousands of sellers here and in Myanmar who sell such merchandise openly on the streets and in the malls :x

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm

MGV12 wrote:Are you that one Farang who never bought a 'dodgy' VCD Fred? :roll:

Would you believe me if I say yes?
Let me try, yes I have never bought a 'dodgy' VCD. :D (Does that make me a saint?)
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm

fredlk wrote:Let me try, yes I have never bought a 'dodgy' VCD. :D (Does that make me a saint?)

Never knowingly maybe :lol: think you might need a little more for sainthood :idea:

Sorry Roger ... back to the thread

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Firstly, thank you all for the advise, I welcome all of it.
My wife and I have just arrived back from the land office with a signed sealed and delivered chanote document.
I spoke with the boy at great length about architects, engineers and builders. Tomorrow at 1400hrs (that's 2 o'clock to the civilians) I have an appointment with an architect/engineer from the public works department. Apparently the deal is that if you use them (free) you must use their builders and material suppliers. I'll keep everyone posted on that and how much tea money I will have to pay.
I can tell everyone that the land department at Ban Ba Thong is most thorough, they even made the owner sign for right of ways on the two sides of the land that fronts onto the two sois (as neither are registered with them as sois). I also have access to water and electricity now we have the chanote. (That is being arranged by the owner).
To be honest they have thrown in a lot of freebees. They built the land up for nothing (about 20 truck loads) and even had it leveled. They are getting the water and power put on for nothing. They have replaced the concrete manholes that would have broken, over the drains, with steel ones, free. They have added additional drainage (3 foot pipe) along the front of, but not part of the land, free, so that will take care of any drainage problems later because I can just hook into it. All in all my wife and I are very very happy with everything so far. So much so that we bought two lucky lottery tickets. What the heck this is Thailand, everybody buys lucky lottery tickets after they buy land.
I just hope tomorrow will be as productive as today. We shall see. I will keep everyone posted.
MGV12, I have said this before and I will say it again, I do not mind the banter, in fact it lightens the load, so please keep it up. In fact once I start the build I expect a lot more.
Finally, to Saint Fred, may thunder and lightening roar the next time you play golf and may god, whoever he may be, be the judge about your shonky VCD.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Finally, to Saint Fred, may thunder and lightening roar the next time you play golf and may god, whoever he may be, be the judge about your shonky VCD.

Oh dear:

- I don't play golf;
- I don't believe in god, be it animal, vegetable or mineral;
- I don't understand shonky;
- I don't own any vcd's (honestly, truly, scout's honour, cross my heart).

:? :shock: :( :wink: :roll: :D :lol:
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 pm

BKKBILL,
With regards to the colorbond roof, there will be a slope from the front to the back of perhaps 12 inches with overlaps each side, front and rear of 1 metre. One of the houses I had in Australia was done similarly with colorbond and even after the fiercest storms no water ever got in. I intend having insulation 6 inches under the roof, laid directly over the metal supports for the gyprock ceiling. That's how I did this townhouse without any problems and it will also make the rooms look larger with higher ceilings. I also want to put two or three rotating air vents on the roof, but that might ruin the look so I'll have to see what the architect/engineer says.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 pm

fredlk wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:Finally, to Saint Fred, may thunder and lightening roar the next time you play golf and may god, whoever he may be, be the judge about your shonky VCD.

Oh dear:

- I don't play golf;
- I don't believe in god, be it animal, vegetable or mineral;
- I don't understand shonky;
- I don't own any vcd's (honestly, truly, scout's honour, cross my heart).

:? :shock: :( :wink: :roll: :D :lol:

Those 'naughty people' who seek to deceive don't only create dodgy [or even shonky] VCDs ... you have chosen to spend your life in a place where much is not as it seems :?

Many people genuinely do not want to be saints, and it is probable that some who achieve or aspire to sainthood have never felt much temptation to be human beings.
George Orwell

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:10 am

Saint Fred,
From my rather normal dictionary the abridged version; Shonky of doubtful integrity or reliability..... rather like being a saint me thinks!
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story