Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:49 pm

To all,
Today was officially, in my opinion, the start of my build. Since 1400 hrs this afternoon a professional survey company from Petchabun have been on site marking the exact location of each pile to go in. The cost 36,000 baht, but for that I found out that the land is actually just over 106 sq wah (not 104 sq wah) and that the bore piles are 35 mm in diameter compared to just 12 mm for the bashed in piles and the bore piles support 40 ton compared to the bashed in ones supporting just 12 ton. Of course the cost is three times as much, but the surveyor said the house would still be standing in 20 years time.
Attachments
100_0187.JPG
100_0188.JPG
Survey crew at work
100_0189.JPG
all the to be pile holes are marked like this
100_0189.JPG (78.78 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Yesterday the bore hole crew (3 boys and 1 girl) moved in with their two tents, hooked up the power and water and set the machine and compressor. Today they started and managed to get three holes dug, the rebar in and cement poured with a forth hole on the way. Some of the holes are 22 metres, some a little less, it just depends when they hit the sand and then the rocky soil. As soon as they hit the rocky soil they stop digging. The seismic readings show the forth layer (rocky soil) to be at varying heights from 15 to 23 metres.
It should take just over 14 days, depending on when they hit the rocky soil each hole, to finish the job, then it takes a week for the last bore piles to cure, meanwhile my builder will move in on site and dig the surrounding soil out with a backhoe, lay the forms (we decided on wood) and rebar the whole thing.
Attachments
rebar lady.jpg
Rebar lady
rebar joining.jpg
joining the rebar
rebar joining.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 861 times
rebar in the hole.jpg
rebar lowered
joining the rebar.jpg
joined in the hole
first hole poured.jpg
first hole
first hole poured.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 861 times
dirty job.jpg
dirty jobs Mike Rowe would be happy
bore hole machine.jpg
The borer
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:41 am

rodger any chance of a few more pics and more details on the drillig process the depth they are doing to achieve four piles a day is good going how do they spiral the rebar around like that
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:12 am

geordie,
Many more pictures to follow. In fact I tried posting a lot more but was told the limit was 7 a post and by the time I'd resized the next 5, my daughter booted me off the computer.
To answer your question about the spiral around the rebar........I have no idea, but I will ask the rebar lady today. I'll also try and resize the photos so they are larger in the next post. There are two cameras in operation, one with Mr. Chong and one I take with me.
The first few days have been busy with me picking up all the stuff, and delivering it to the site. Breaker boxes and switches for the electric power (no one has mentioned that before) that go under the meter, electric pole for my side of the road (going in today), joiners and taps for the water outlet along with hoses, many many hoses.
More to follow.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:40 am

thanks rodger i have a bit of a cheek realy it took me some 950 + posts befor i could post pictures but i am interested in the piling as it is not that common over here and as they say knowledge is wealth i love to learn new things
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 am

Here are some more photos.
Attachments
Two digging heads.jpg
Two digging heads
Boring machine's drill.jpg
35 mm width
4 types of soil.jpg
the four types of soil found
Rocky soil.jpg
the final soil sample
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:22 am

geordie,
I'm a babe in the woods too, I've never seen this type of borer before. The kids who operate it are very quick with joining the sections and emptying it out too. They bash the first head in with compressed air to get through one level of soil, change heads, empty the sections, bash through another level, same again, change heads.....the tall boy who operates the machine and his two off-siders do not muck around and I'd have to stand there all day with the camera to capture the full process.
I'm the "gofor" when I arrive with my daughter, Mr. Chong issues a list of things required and I go for them.
The kids love the water cooler I bought....they claim it's ten times better than dipping cups into ice water. Yesterday was Red Bull, ice cream and coke day all for under 100 baht. In fact everyday will be Red Bull and coke day. I went to Carrefour last night and bought a few cartons of the stuff and will dole it out daily....I do not trust Mr. Chong on that one... he loves Red Bull.
My wife has finally realized, after a week or so of bitching about Mr. Chong having it too easy and not earning his money, just why he is out there from 0800hrs in the morning until 1700hrs. She is quite contrite after his report to her last night. She actually said after he left, that it was a great idea she thought of a build manager to take all the pressure off me (sigh) (sheesh). I'd add a comment about women, but there is one here.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Yesterday the final quote for the screwed piles came in. For those interested the Thais actually call them bore piles. If you google bore piles you end up with far more results than screwed piles. The 4 quotes we received were all in the 600,000 baht range, give or take 20,000.

Roger I can't see the difference between your "screwed" piles and mine. Can you explain?
IMG_1029.JPG
Building my house in Sattahip

I don't see any 'doughnuts'. Are they using them on the rebar to keep it off the edge of the pipe before the pour?
IMG_1047.JPG
Building my house in Sattahip
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:03 pm

fred,
I must rely on my wife or daughter for interpretation, they translated as "screw" but later changed it to bore, after I found a heap of bore pile sites.
The only difference is in location and me learning the correct terminology in Thailand, which is what this forum is for.......is it not ? The difference between yours and mine is also in the amount and height of "bashing" allowed. In my case, not much, as you can see by the houses/warehouses/office near me.
You don't see doughnuts because I detest the damned things. Look at the photos....the rebar lady uses wire through the rebar to keep it from the edges. When they join the lengths of rebar at the three stages, they splay the rebar out to keep it centred. I'll try and get a photo when they do it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Now I don't know about others, but I have a definite problem with the language barrier. My Thai is not all that good and when I do get it right the Thais don't understand anyway because of my Aussie accent, so I just blunder along with the others who don't speak Thai and visa versa. Yesterday I failed to post a few photos because I was out of time and patience because of all the running around. I understand how Max feels everyday, and not being a spring chicken anymore and having sciatica slows me down even more.
I posted earlier that I hate doughnuts, on this and another thread. The next photo will show why I hate them. The bore hole gang started using them yesterday and they got banned. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words so here's the photo.
Attachments
spring steel.jpg
The wire they pull along the rebar is spring steel and then gets tied off every few feet
tie wire.jpg
tie wire
tie wire.jpg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 802 times
broken doughnuts.jpg
This is the reason. And you can't undo the problem. So now they use two bits of rebar bent upwards either end at 5 metre intervals.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:

kknaj,
They suck the mud out, lower the 22 metre piles 30 metres into place, repact the earth around the piles (no idea how they do that), then they put the foundations over the piles. Very exacting because I have two foundations that have three piles underneath each about 3 foot apart and about 12 piles that have 2 underneath them. The double piles are on each corner and where the back and front steps are. I've seen too many buildings in Bangkok where the front and back steps have broken away from the building so I'm making sure that doesn't happen here.
Yes, and it is expensive, but I'm hoping you get what you pay for in this case.

this was the bit that caused me confusion i thought they had some super duper pump and sucked the hole out :roll: :roll: :roll:

it looks like the old school method of drop a cutter head from height a few times then clear out the dirt from the cutter an start again
i am assuming the macro is used to install the temporary casingto keep the hole open untill the concrete is poured then it is removed (usually)
the other two methods i have seen here (UK) are a huge auger drilling the holes then pour the piles
and a large slide with a huge weight they drop onto precast piles and hammer them in however with the slide hammer method it would shake the hell out of anything nearby
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:59 pm

geordie wrote: a large slide with a huge weight they drop onto precast piles and hammer them in however with the slide hammer method it would shake the hell out of anything nearby

That's exactly why he's doing it this way geordie:

Roger Ramjet wrote:Everyone said I was mad that I insisted the piles be drilled in, and they said it was twice as cheap to have them driven in, however having due respect for my new neighbours, plus the office across the road, I am having them drilled because I saw what happened in this village we currently live in, when an idiot tried to bash them in with houses and townhouses all around. Cracks in the walls, boundary walls completely ruined, infuriated locals up in arms, police called, fights started and guns drawn; and the whole thing was scrapped after just 4 piles.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm

MGV12 wrote:That's exactly why he's doing it this way geordie:

... and much much stronger with a greater circumference. The hammered-in type can break when going in and end up being less effective.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:20 pm

sorry missed that and picked up on the suction bit so though there was a new way of doing it
i reiterated the three methods i know of with the hope if there is a system i have missed somone would point it out to me

fredlk wrote:... and much much stronger with a greater circumference. The hammered-in type can break when going in and end up being less effective.

arguable fred i am not an engineer but if the piles have hit solid ground they are doing what they are there for so whether they are hammered or poured should in fact be irelevant as long as they hit solid base

as anything there are variables and in some circumstances the piles rely on friction to do the job so the larger circumfrence should help but the driven piles resemble an I beam for a reason to give them a greater surface area but small enough to drive in
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm

geordie wrote:... but the driven piles resemble an I beam for a reason to give them a greater surface area but small enough to drive in

Sorry to hijack this topic for a moment and apologies to http://teakdoor.com/building-in-thailand-famous-threads/32132-building-in-korat.html for using these photos showing the driven piles commonly used in Thailand - no i-beams:
normal_Pæling_6.jpg
normal_Pæling_6.jpg (16.2 KiB) Viewed 786 times

normal_Pæling_7.jpg
normal_Pæling_7.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 786 times
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story