Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:17 am

MGV12 wrote:we reserve the right to request supporting written evidence from a doctor/

I do have rather complex medical certificates from my doctor, which I will be more than willing to post. I also have the medicine with the hospital's name and mine stamped all over it, just in case I get pulled up by the boys in brown as two of the drugs have been used by the Thais as "happy" drugs in the past and all are banned. Seriously banned. Morphine, codiene, and rivotril (a date/rape) hypnotic the Thai boys used to slip into a girl's drink before raping them, or in Pattaya that the "girls" would slip into an unsuspecting Farang's drink before they robbed him/her. And then of course there's Lyrica which is for spinal nerve pain. It's a serious drug, so much so the following may occur:
You may have thoughts about suicide while taking Lyrica. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.
Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, insomnia, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
Currently I think it's making me mentally hyperactive, which is bad for diction and spelling. :lol: :lol: But good for analysing potential wars or conflics. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby olavhome » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:28 am

Maybe much of the same symthoms you can get during a building process in LOS dealing local entrepeneurs :lol:
olavhome

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:And then of course there's Lyrica which is for spinal nerve pain.

Speed reading again :roll: I thought you wrote Lycra ... had me concerned for a while:

fat-guys-in-spandex-leotards.jpg

Think you might recognise one of these guys from the north-east of England. Which one am I? I'm the one holding the camera.

Now I know it's medication for spinal injuries I will investigate :oops:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:02 pm

MGV12 wrote:Think you might recognise one of these guys from the north-east of England. Which one am I?

Let me guess, the one on the right trying to find his dick. :lol:
I spelt it properly, so go and look. No don't do that, you'll get lost so here's the website: http://www.drugs.com/lyrica.html Now you can't claim I'm being unhelpful. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:23 pm

RR here is the spell checker stuff for Mac
http://macs.about.com/od/OSXLion107/qt/ ... ection.htm

Bad penny indeed.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:01 am

BKKBILL wrote:RR here is the spell checker stuff for Mac

Thank you Bill, I knew I could rely on you, unlike some people who like to post lurid photos.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mai Mii » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Roger,

What an epic, ongoing story. Have you considered writing books ?

You have convinced me the way forward is...

>

>

>

>

Keep scrolling...

>

>

>

>

Tent.jpg
Tent.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Mai Mii

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Mai Mii wrote:What an epic, ongoing story. Have you considered writing books ?

You have convinced me the way forward is...

Ah, War and Peace was nothing compared to my building story, it's why I suggested that you stay where you are and buy a Jaguar.

And a quick update. My wife and I have been plowing our money into the renovation of our townhouse, which is now sort of complete, enough to rent out at least. I'm not going to go into all the details but there were many letdowns, more thefts, a lot of dishonesty, all because I wasn't there all day every day. And then we got a phone call from my wife's mother, who the family were taking turns in looking after because of her gambling and drinking habits. It was her gambling habit that caused the worry as she signed over property she did not own (our property).... for 4,000 baht. It would be a joke in any other country, but not here, so after sorting that out she is now going to be moved into our townhouse and all the neighbours are going to keep an eye on her, she'll have company, another old lady realive of friends who have the townhouse opposite will move in with her so they can keep an eye on each other.
So it's two old non rent paying widows who will be looking after the townhouse and checking to make sure neither of them burn the place down or die on each other, or set-up a brothel, or sell the damned place..... sigh. And they let these old Thai grandma's look after their children when they are out working and expect the kids to have values when they get older; Bah.
Finally we can start to put money back into this house again.... once we go on holiday. My wife wants to go to Viet Nam at the end of this year and I'll have to find out if I can get a visa or not, otherwise it's off to Koh Samet to go fishing and to have my one day a year on the vino.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Australian citizens are required to obtain a valid visa when visiting or conducting business activities in Vietnam. In order to apply for your visa, you can either
VISA ON ARRIVAL
Apply for your visa online and get the stamp at Vietnam Airport. This can be arranged by a number of travel agencies who possess an international tour operator license. The process is as follows:
› Apply online for your visa online and pay the application fee
› Receive your approval letter to your email and print a hard copy
› Arrive at Vietnam Airport and get your visa (read visa procedure at Vietnam airport)
With this option, your visa will be issued by the Vietnamese Immigration Department. Verify your name, passport number, date of birth and arrival date to avoid extra charge of re-applying.
VIETNAM VISA AT EMBASSY
Submit the following documents, by post or in person to Vietnam Embassy or Consulate:
› Original Passport - Your passport must have at least 01 blank page and 01 month of validity
› Completed and signed application form with 01 photo (4x5 cm)
› Visa fees (Cash, Money order or Bank cheque) payable to "The Embassy of Vietnam"
› Prepaid return envelope, if you plan to receive your visa by mail

UK NO visa needed if under 15 days just Passport and return ticket

Visitors to Phu Quoc Island may stay without a visa for no more than 30 days
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Australian citizens are required to obtain a valid visa when visiting or conducting business activities in Vietnam. In order to apply for your visa, you can either

For reasons I'm not going to write here, please allow me to check myself. I was refused one previously.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mai Mii » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 am

Roger,

Your comment on people borrowing on something that they do not own. This is something that I have heard of on numerous occasions, it appears it is quite common. Something that everyone should be aware of.

Your upstairs windows, I think it was your bedrooms. What is the height of them ? It might be my eyes, or a picture illusion, but they look quite small, was this done on purpose and for what reason ?

Thanks.
Mai Mii

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Mai Mii wrote:Your comment on people borrowing on something that they do not own. This is something that I have heard of on numerous occasions, it appears it is quite common. Something that everyone should be aware of.

It's a Thai trait that they covet what you have and when they finally do get to "borrow" it, they''ll lie, cheat and steal to keep it. I've had to physically go around to "builders" houses to take the item back or threaten them with calling the police. It's one of the many reasons I pay to have that police box on my front gate and the 1,000 baht a month has paid me back 10 fold.
Mai Mii wrote:Your upstairs windows, I think it was your bedrooms. What is the height of them ? It might be my eyes, or a picture illusion, but they look quite small, was this done on purpose and for what reason ?

All my windows, top and bottom are 30" X 76". The original house design was for the Caribbean/Northern Australia where they have hurricanes/cyclones and instead of having a concrete roof I changed that to Colorbond and I removed the steel shutters that could drop down over the windows. I knew the heat was going to be a major problem so I wanted to keep them as low a profile as possible and when you get horizontal rain during the wet season it has a tendency to get in under anything. So far I have only found two windows that weren't sealed properly (both downstairs). My wife wanted full windows and it took a lot of convincing to keep the design the way it was visualized. I had to take her to our house in Sara Buri (that was stinking hot) and make her put her hands on the windows to feel the heat coming through, look at the thermometer next to it, then move the thermometer away.... it was like teaching a basic science class to a 1st former. Luckily there was no arguement over fly screens and keeping the doors and windows closed all day long; my wife had learnt that from working in a sealed office.
All this bullshit about going "green" and passive cooling I had to wipe from her memory banks by carrying out experiments everywhere... luckily I have two clocks that show temp and humidity so I just moved them around a lot. She finally learnt that hot air rises and the temp outside will be the same inside the way the Thais build their houses and that ceiling fans do not cool a house they just move around hot air and it's the body that cools itself with sweat, not the building.
And even with the low profile windows I had to add shades both inside and finally outside because I couldn't get double glazed glass that didn't come from China with a written warranty. And I went and looked at the PVC windows that everyone enthused about and found that the mechanisms inside rusted or corroded within a few years and they were no better than 6mm tinted glass in an aluminum frame and twice as expensive... that should draw howls of dirision from those that have been pushing their "green" aspect.
Hope that explains why I wasn't going for aesthetics in any aspect of the build, I just wanted a solid house that would last for years and not require continuos maintenance.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Somelikeithot » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi Roger. I have a top floor old type condo in Pak Kret. I am trying to find blown loft insulation contractors. I cannot use rolls because the design of the roof will not allow man access. Do you know any contractors who install blown insulation in Pak Kret or BKK?
Somelikeithot

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:22 am

Somelikeithot wrote:Hi Roger. I have a top floor old type condo in Pak Kret. I am trying to find blown loft insulation contractors. I cannot use rolls because the design of the roof will not allow man access. Do you know any contractors who install blown insulation in Pak Kret or BKK?

Blown loft insulation is a very "select" job, for even countries like Australia and even there we used the wrong stuff that contained asbestosis. When I renovated my town house I used packs of stuff I bought at HomePro and put it in above the new ceiling I had put in. The change in air temp was remarkable to say the least and I'm sure the new whirly bird I put in on the roof also helped.
There is a company that runs an advertisement in the Bangkok Post who will come in and spray PU foam, but they are expensive to say the least, and I have no knowledge of whether they are professional or not, but must be doing something right as they have been around for years and years.
If you have a Thai wife/girlfriend I would suggest you punch in PE PU foam into google as I got a large number of hits in Thai and on Youtube when I did that, which might give you a possible lead.
The boys and girls at HomePro, Thai Watsadu, Do Home, etc might also have a catalogue hidden away in some obscure corner of their super stores or be able to recommend someone connected to their company.
I'm sorry I have no first hand experience with a decent blow foam operator.
Good luck with the search and if you do find someone who is halfway reasonable I'm sure the moderators would not mind you posting their info here. We do love photos as well, so plenty of pics. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:58 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:It's a Thai trait that they covet what you have and when they finally do get to "borrow" it, they''ll lie, cheat and steal to keep it. I've had to physically go around to "builders" houses to take the item back or threaten them with calling the police. It's one of the many reasons I pay to have that police box on my front gate and the 1,000 baht a month has paid me back 10 fold.

It is interesting - we've been watching this TV show on cable called "Mystery Diners" and some of the stuff that goes on in the USA with employees defrauding, stealing, lying and cheating is amazing! My wife said it is way more serious/illegal than the petty stuff that goes on in Thailand - The worst I recall in theft (attempted theft) from our project is a bucket of rusty nails and an old rusty shovel they threw over the back fence to pickup later (value 20 baht). On Mystery Diners, employees are stealing hundreds of dollars a night from restaurants/owners, setting up their own side businesses using their employer's stock and staff, stealing barrels of wine, etc. Crazy stuff.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story