Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 pm

geordie,

geordie wrote:if you figure out the patern let me know cos my lot did not so they wer laid random

The pattern is the way the tiler lays them.
Better leave gliffaes alone, he'll either throw all the rattles out of the pram and make his workers do aerobics to the Village People, or he'll just dig half a hole and then we won't be able to "float his boat" so to speak.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:23 pm

update:
The pool has been cleaned out and the pool tilers will be there tomorrow. All the glass windows and doors are now in (or should be as I write) as they only had the two windows above the pool to go in.
The bracket for the water pump is nearly finished, complete with burns to my arms; I wondered why I used to wear long sleeved overalls and now I know. Health and safety would have sacked me, along with my thongs. The inverter welder is ten times better than my old clunker and runs at 20 amps less than it used to run at. Very smooth with the Kobi welding rods. and well worth the cost.
My tilers are still staying at the house for security, even though they have a job elsewhere (local) and now have all the tiles they'll need to finish all the jobs......at last.
The doors, we have been assured arrive tomorrow. The stained glass was being placed in them today. I won't hold my breath though.
Some photos:
Attachments
septic back in for now.jpg
Septic tank back in for now, but I'm not totally happy with it
pool clean ready for tiling.jpg
Pool clean ready for tiling
feature window in stairwell in.jpg
Large window in stairwell in
glass doors to pool in.jpg
Glass doors to the pool in
corridoor  entance to veranda.jpg
Corridore exit/entrance door to the veranda in
bedroom doors in.jpg
Bedroom 1 doors in
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 pm

More photos:
Attachments
steps from garage.jpg
Steps from the garage nearly done
steps up to front door.jpg
Steps up to the front door in the process of being lade
water tank's slab.jpg
The slab for the two water tanks is in
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:11 pm

RR almost to the day three weeks to arrival :D :D :D :D :D can you be finished by then :lol:
only the pool i have a feeling after 15-16 hours in a box the dogs will need some relaxation and a wash seeing as how the pool is almost there :roll: :roll: you could leave the gun dog at home ! with my four pack instinct kicks in they would gang up against another dog :mrgreen: What welder have you got and how much was it over there i fried mine recently using it on a genny :cry: :cry: it was 20-80 amp and ran off 13amps without a problem but i was getting on great guns with it considering the last time i did welding was 30 year ago and gave myself severe arc eye so never touched a welder since interesting to see they have the inverter type there they are brilliant but it was on my list of replace soon as in before i come over as i have to weld a couple of locks before i leave but can get away without doing it if there,s a reasonable saving to be made over here £120 - £180 dpending on who you buy from thats roughly 6000-9000bht the stairs look good i like the tile,s :lol:
good to see the doors have finally started turning up at last it really is astonishing the lack of concern the thais have for delivering on time probably because they know you have little option it,s them or nothing especially as they demand a large percent up front so you are stuck with them subject to a bit of blagging with the customs /container i might get away with a Gilfaes and bring windows doors with me nice double glazed with multipoint locking
:lol: :lol: :lol: not just being tight better quality and no blackmail fit when ready
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 am

geordie,
Just throw the mutts in the Chao P river, they can "ride" shotgun on gliffaes wife's Jazz as we float down to the coast at a leisurely pace.
The welder is a Welpro and well within your price range. But why go to all that expense, you being a bit of a scrooge and all, why not rent one, off me of course.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:geordie,

The welder is a Welpro and well within your price range. But why go to all that expense, you being a bit of a scrooge and all, why not rent one, off me of course.

Fair do,s RR a rental sounds better altogether given that i fried the last one :lol: much better to get in a bit of practice before i blow another one up as for a bit of a srooge you may be confusing me with some one else :roll:
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Update:
Doors arrived this morning....and they look nothing like what I ordered, except for the wood. I think the door lady got a fish theme into her head, after seeing the swimming pool, and that's what she went with. Two doors are what I ordered, the rest are her idea of what we had in mind. MGV12 would be more than pleased.......I'm actually smiling a little because my wife and daughter will now be shouldered with the blame, because they were the ones who spent hours with the door lady going over and over and through the catalogues, then changing their mind, again and again and again. Me, I went for a long walk with the dog and a packet of smokes.
I don't really care what they look like, I can change the stained glass easily enough in 12 months anyway, but now I have bargaining power the next trip there..."you get one choice, once" or "stop talking and look" or even "you pick it, you live with it". I'm actually rubbing my hands together in glee at the fun I'll have the next time.
No real complaints about the doors, they are very well make and damned heavy..two men to carry one up the stairs. I spent an hour with the carpenter going over which way the door opened and then marked it on the plans so there can be no mistakes....now he'll ring my wife at least ten times "just to make sure".
The dog doors are going in...incorrectly, but we'll have that fixed, without any damage.
The old builder rang my wife about him hooking up the water tanks and plumbing... she gave him and emphatic "No, my husband no longer trusts you". She also told him none of the trades people do either, to which he said he knew that and he now realised he hadn't finished the/his job. My wife gave him short shrift. And everyone in this village knows, so I guess he'll just change his name again, which we just found out he's done twice before. Sigh.
Photos:
Attachments
doors 2.jpg
doors 1.jpg
Roger Ramjet

Postby elgato » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Roger: Tile on the stairs looks good. Also like the color of your glass. Don't let Geordie near your welder without a large cash deposit.

Geordie: How did you manage to fry a welder? Was it the machine or the operator that got fried :shock:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:52 am

elgato wrote:Roger: Tile on the stairs looks good. Also like the color of your glass. Don't let Geordie near your welder without a large cash deposit.

Geordie: How did you manage to fry a welder? Was it the machine or the operator that got fried :shock:

The machine fried :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: nothing to do with me it was obviously defctive :roll: :roll:

Or it could be it did not lke being used on a genny ?? some do some don,t
geordie

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Update:
Doors arrived this morning....and they look nothing like what I ordered, except for the wood. I think the door lady got a fish theme into her head, after seeing the swimming pool, and that's what she went with. Two doors are what I ordered, the rest are her idea of what we had in mind. MGV12 would be more than pleased.......I'm actually smiling a little because my wife and daughter will now be shouldered with the blame, because they were the ones who spent hours with the door lady going over and over and through the catalogues, then changing their mind, again and again and again. Me, I went for a long walk with the dog and a packet of smokes.
I don't really care what they look like, I can change the stained glass easily enough in 12 months anyway, but now I have bargaining power the next trip there..."you get one choice, once" or "stop talking and look" or even "you pick it, you live with it". I'm actually rubbing my hands together in glee at the fun I'll have the next time.
No real complaints about the doors, they are very well make and damned heavy..two men to carry one up the stairs. I spent an hour with the carpenter going over which way the door opened and then marked it on the plans so there can be no mistakes....now he'll ring my wife at least ten times "just to make sure".
Photos:

Is the second is one of yours? The first could look good with the sun shining through it though it is a bit OTT.
One consolation is that after a year of use you probably will have stopped seeing it anyway. Of course if you do still notice it you can take the glass out put it in a frame and sell it on, may be to MGV12 :lol: Although in a frame with backlighting specially with the kind that you can vary the colour and intensity automatically it could be a very interesting wall decoration.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:15 am

Sometimewoodworker,
You haven't seen half of them yet. The second one will go in a bedroom, probably bedroom 3 doorway, it was one of the ones I chose, I think, I hope. The glass is easy enough to change, just remove the panel pins, insert new glass, tap in the panel pins....I won't be doing that, I'll get someone with better eyesight and steadier hands. My wife and daughter were making all sorts of excuses last night. I just rubbed it in by saying that the next time there would be no changing the mind 20 times and no gossip while doing it.
When the doors are hung I'll take a "rogues gallery" photo of each, which will cause some comment I'm sure. The good thing is, after 12 months of looking at them, there will be no mistakes the second time.
I am rather amused to say the least.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 am

Ahh well Rodger now you have a hold over them
They look ok i actually like one of them (not the fish) :mrgreen:
What wood are they made with
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:15 am

I can fully understand you not being best pleased with those doors Roger - ridiculous!

doors 2.jpg
doors 2.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 593 times

But I am rather surprised you didn't ask her to do that on those big sliding doors to the swimming pool ... maybe with a mermaid or two!

glass doors to pool in.jpg
glass doors to pool in.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 593 times

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

MGV12,
MGV12 wrote:But I am rather surprised you didn't ask her to do that on those big sliding doors to the swimming pool ... maybe with a mermaid or two!

Wait until you see the rest of the doors...sheesh. Now my wife and daughter are trying to blame everyone but themselves. If I've told them once, I've told them a thousand times, when you go to buy stuff it's a one off event, not a three or four off event that you change your mind at every different time. And don't talk the whole time...concentrate.
The same happened with the tiles and now they are both paying....and in turn me.
I told them both this morning...again....we must move onwards...the doors stay, we need to have the house locked-up ASAP, like tomorrow or even today...changes can come later.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:02 am

I think they look ok.............................for a kindergarten anyway.
I dont like the wood much looks like Pine ?
gliffaes

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story