Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby geordie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:58 pm

British hooligan me :roll: :roll: How could she even imagine such horrible things about me
You will have to send her to mummy,s when i visit ??
Just because they are burning London Bit by Bit If they could congregate on parliment they would find less people objecting
Tell your wife i am deeply hurt and not being posh i can continue to swim in the river with the snakes :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Today the last columns for the second floor were poured. Then we struck another hiccup with the plans, with the stairs again. The stairs from the ground floor to the second floor are supposed to be 7 inches apart, which worked for the first stage, but for the second we couldn't fit them in no matter what we did, so we changed the plans again and made them all 7.5 inches after we had raised the middle section by 4 inches. Lucky we didn't do the pour in two stages, otherwise the first stage would have been perfect, but the second stage would have overlapped in the middle and made it look ridiculous. The builder and I are now remeasuring everything. We spoke with the architect who said it was caused by a fault in the program, which he knew about, but forgot to tell the worker who worked on the plans. We have room to play with the outside stairs so we are making all of the steps just 6 inches apart.
The welders didn't show again so they are marching tomorrow and a new team will take over. Must be so good to be so rich you can just take four or five days off in a row whenever you please, but as we are on a strict deadline for the roof to go on/up, they won't be required for the next week either, or the next month, or the next year. So far they have been paid nothing as it was a contract payment for the roof, the two front gates, the stairs from the garage to the second floor veranda and railings around the garage and along the veranda.
My wife and I went looking at tiles again....... for five hours. My daughter joined us for the last three. Next time I look at tiles, I go with just my wife. If I don't resolve the tile issue then, I go it alone. The whole thing was made doubly hard by all the bloody women sales staff, who must have overdosed on stupid pills for the day. When I specify I want anti/non-slip tiles I do not want some bloody woman trying to sell me what she likes, instead of what I want. No wonder I smoke so heavily!
I'll post some photos later after I cool down with a cup of tea and 10 cigarettes and take my dog for a walk.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I'll post some photos later after I cool down with a cup of tea and 10 cigarettes and take my dog for a walk.

Roger,

At least your cool down ritual does not make you fat - for me its ice cream and chocolate, which aint too healthy.

But you have mentioned my 2 favorite irritations here - my staff also love to take time off for mysterious reasons, I think they are secretly rich as they all seem to have rice and lamyai farms and dont mind taking 1-3 weeks off whenever they please. Of course the other favorite excuse is someone is dead, there have been almost a dozen of those.

For the annoying shop assistants, which every shop seems to have plenty, with Home Pro being one of the worse, where as soon as you walk in they converge towards you blocking your way, crazy mentality! Anyways, i have this thing i do when someone starts following me through the aisle - I suddenly stop, turn around and walk back very quickly towards them forcing them to move out the way - then they get the message and stop tailgating me. One other thing I would love to do is let out a huge smelly bean laced fart when followed, but unfortunately, I cannot fart on demand.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rodger we all sympathise i have a recess in the kitchen where sits the fridge freeze ! have reversed itself and turned into a heating cabinet the decision was made to replace it with a nice shiny one so having mesured the recess i went off armed with a tape measure to the local store and measured the products
Having found the perfect fridge freezer for the recess( :D :D :D ) the son went off and got one of the dozen sales assistants who were busy doing nothing and the fun began i started the conversation with i want one of these ? gesturing at the article in front of me ! Alright sir come with me ? now i assumed i was going to the sales
desk to fill out relavant paperwork ! no she took me into the next aisle and pointed to a smaller bright red one and said what about this one :? :? Being a polite chap i pointed out that i preffered the silver one that i had been looking at the response oh ok and off she toddled to the next aisle again and pointed at a silver one ????
This was greeted by my son with a smirk and raised eybrows my wife a confused look and me just peed off totally so i slowly stated that i would prefer a siver one a specific siver one the one i had selected and measured and was stood beside when she arrived i even explained that i had a specific size requirement which is why i had picked that particular one and measured it !! :( :( so now i have the idiot standing in front of me with a totally blank expresion asking for the size i had in mind ??? just how thick was posible and still employed :( :(
So i requested the manager to assist as i was not gaining any ground only to be slapped with he,s not available
Well ok can i speak to the assistant manager :shock: :shock: Sir i am the assistant manager :shock:
geordie

Postby Sunpax » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Lollll....sometimes in Homepro and that for now 3 years i buy things there....i have almost 6 or 7 or more people follow me from things to things that I look for and then buy...and every body give its advice about this or that ..lolll...just like a little army going no where...its just too funny ! ( when i am not in a bad day ;)
i must say that almost of the time its a real stress to don't have enought free time and latitude to make shoping and thinck about what you really need and want ,without to be force by this or that !!!

my workers are here every days and sunday too ...they sure like to work for me :( very ofen i give out a pile of 20 bahts and make my distribution ! don't ask if that's make them work better..I don't know ! but i will have try everything then to get my house in time ! and i will not blame myself about to don't have triying everythings posible :(
this morning when cutting the concrete to put the yellow pvc...workers children dogs..cats and me was breathing into this bad air ! so i give money to one and say to go buy some masks !!! an other day in paradise ( no water in my rented house to take a shower or wash my hand ) jay yen yen for sure :mrgreen:
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:35 am

All the comments raise a serious question for the company HQ's of the companies involved. Having been a soldier I know the value of training, which is what is lacking here. If you expect sales staff to perform you must train them on the job if they have no experience, therefore you team them up with "an old hand" at the job and if there are none of those you send them off to a "school" to learn the ropes. What amazes me in Thailand is the fact there are always people hiding, doing nothing except blocking the aisle, listening to their favourite Morlan singer on full volume, or just standing talking, and a lack of check-out staff when you eventually select what you want. I can appreciate the fact that office staff can be slow when an order is placed for an item they don't have in stock and needs to be delivered in the future, but surely they could supply preprinted maps so you can mark where the item is to be delivered to. HomePro have these now, even for out of their area, so somebody has solved a long standing issue.
Yesterday when the wheels fell off a number of times, I went searching for other items that would be needed later and could be stored at the townhouse if I throw out my daughter, so I found and purchased three stainless steel shower units with double nozzle feeds, all with ten year warranties for just under 10,000 baht each. By the time I had done all the paperwork and cooled down, I went back to the tiles, with the same result all over again in the space of 30 minutes. My wife found some stunningly well matched tiles for one bathroom with non-slip tiles for the floor that matched beautifully, but when we went to order them the salesgirl tried to change everything back to the way she liked it. I really was very restrained for a change, but after 5 fruitless minutes I used my old excuse "I'm going for a smoke", which alerted my wife who then laid down the law.....finally.... then when I came back my teenage daughter claimed she didn't like them and wanted some bloody Disney character tiles in their place. The hands of death nearly encircled her throat and I even had my defence worked out for court. Walt Disney has a lot to answer for! Any male judge would acquit me on the spot when I explained the circumstances.
I really do hate the "I can't make up my mind" syndrome or the "I'm not sure which is the best out of these 100 choices, what do you think"? syndrome and then when an opinion is expressed to get, "oh, that one, I don't like that one." ARGGGGGGGGHHHHHH. Kill, kill, kill......
Anyway, better late than never, here are the photos from yesterday.
Attachments
Straight onto the fix.jpg
The carpenter crew and rebar crew straight onto the fix
Before we solved the problem.jpg
Before we solved the problem
Last columns completed.jpg
That's it for columns....finally
Last two columns poured.jpg
Last two columns where poured
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:18 pm

I was visibly shocked to see Aluminium ladders being used!!! Where's the plank of wood with a few slats across or some bamboo?? Im quite disturbed by this :lol:
gliffaes

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Looking nice from the top floor Roger! I can't wait for next Wed to get the planks laid, then can climb up there finally and check out the surroundings!

A small digression but still on the subject - before we had issues getting refunds for all sorts of reasons, like squeezing juice from a rock - after i had blown up
in full force at Home Pro and Home Sukkapan, shouting profanity in both english and russian (yes i speak fluent russian), they remember me well - 2 days ago we
went for a refund for a faulty tap that was leaking straight out the box, Bee just has to say 'give me cash, my husband is outside, you dont want any trouble', and
the refund happened immediately.

Blowing up with spit flying and fists banging the table is the quickest way to get refunds without the usual BS of 'you paid with debit card so it will take 2 weeks' or
'you can have store credit'. Very unfortunately, I find that shouting is the best and quickest way to get things done. I know many people here will be shocked by this
attitude, its such a peaceful and respectful country - ye sure if you want to spend 4 hours shopping instead of 15 minutes and have a chit chat with 20 shop assistants,
learn everyone's life story and they learn all about you, instead of getting the job done.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:51 pm

gliffaes,
Flippancy will get you no where. If you had carefully looked in previous photos; we are civilised on this build, we like to have hand rails when using planks of wood, it's called advancing with technology.

Max and Bee,
The views are glorious, especially with the harvesters trundling up and down. It certainly beats this townhouse looking at other townhouses and concrete everywhere. I'll give it another two or three years though and then it might change. I think we are high enough to beat it for a while, and if the buggers do build all around us, the roof will come off and another story added. It pays to over-engineer.
Fast tracking (shouting) is good for public relations Max, just think of the number of times we mention HomePro here, the tweaks they are making to their antiquated system (maps), and the fact they actually try in the local one I go to just proves what a good shout will do. And for people like me it saves blowing the place up!
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Went to HomePro Phitsanulok today - couldn't have had better service than what we recieved - if you can ignore the 100's of sales rep's hovering round we have always had 100%+ attention and satisfaction with our dealings there. If I go by myself and the staff can't answer due to limited English and I pursue the conversation - they always excuse themselves and run off to get an English speaking staff member.
Ians

Postby tothemark » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:11 am

Looking forward to seeing your tile choices Roger, If you have done it in 5 hours then I take my hat off to you !

Dont be shy to show your daughters choice if she wins the day tho :lol:
tothemark

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 am

I suspect if she picks disney she will likely get engraved marble marking the spot :roll:
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:34 am

tothemark,
Firstly, I wasn't going to reply to your obvious digs about the shopping trips for tiles. Notice I say trips, plural, there have been many, not just the last saga in this never ending battle against tiles. Again, notice I say against tiles, because I do not like tiles and the persons who invented them, except for swimming pools, kitchens and bathrooms, should be, if they are female, burned at the stake and if male, drawn and quartered slowly.
Walt Disney has paid the price for his imagination...he's dead, which is what my daughter will be if she even thinks she'll get Disney tiles anywhere at all, except up the you know where!
Tiles I can tolerate for bathrooms, as long as I think they are stunning. So far we have one bathroom out of three done and I have decided that, if there is no choice next time that I can tolerate, all three bathrooms might be done in the same tiles, and be done with it.
My priority at the moment is the bloody stairs, roof and superblock and swimming pool, not in that order, but notice, they are all related to the actual house structure, because this has been one of the wettest years on record and the worst is yet to come in the next 4 months, which is when my build finishes, however, with all the distractions like tiles and other bric-a-brac which I am steadfastly ignoring until they are due to be used, I may just be committed to jail for murder before the four months are up.
If I were MGV12 I would say you are not welcome to post on this build, however, I'm not, so keep the flippant, funny, hilarious comments coming, it makes me smile a lot in the face of death.....for my daughter.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:13 am

Roger Ramjet wrote: this has been one of the wettest years on record and the worst is yet to come in the next 4 months,

How likely the rains will get worse?? My heart stopped for a second when i read this. If true, I need to re-prioritize the work here and start getting gravel/soil truck in to build up the perimeter heights if there is a worse flood coming this season. I estimate at least 15 small trucks, but it all has to be carted by wheelbarrow to the fences as there is no access, so thats about 1 full week of work.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am

Max and Bee,
The rains will be in force until at least October/November Max and if we look at what has come already, they will be a lot heavier than some we have already had. The problem is they change direction as of now. Earlier they came down from China, now they come across from the Philippines and Vietnam and down through Laos and across from Cambodia. And, depending on the build-up of the typhoons/cyclones in the South China Sea and how far they stretch inlands before petering out, will determine the amount of rain dumped.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story