Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby geordie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Very good Rodger tad out of focus was that the photographer with camera shake or the very pale legs trembling
you ougt to get some sun on them mate :lol: :lol: Funnily enough i dug out three safety harnesses last night
to get rid of i could ship one over for you :mrgreen: i bet your well looking forward to getting the concrete into that bit another big pour how many cube,s this time
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Geordie,
The pour will be 25 cubes and we'll be using the crane again. It's very hard to move around up there and you must use the planks or what there is of them. The workers are smart, it's quicker to come down then go back up than move from one set of beams to another. I'll really be pleased when this part is over so we can move freely over the reinforced slabs before the final pour.
The safety harness wouldn't work, there's nothing to hook on to except rebar and you'd hit the ground floor concrete before the strap pulled you up because most of them are at least 3 metres in length.
Next week will be the supports for the reinforced slabs along with some homemade steps to move between floors. I'll be using the same as it's easier than the 30 foot stepladder I have.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 pm

The next two weeks will go quickly. All the shuttering is up and in place and has been checked and braced. The new crew finalised the plumbing for the two bathrooms today. The crane will be on site and 25 cubes of concrete will be poured tomorrow, then it will hoist the replaced reinforced slabs up to the top of the garage. The new crew has arrived and are up on the second floor checking everything and the old crew is playing cards. Tomorrow will be a busy day for everyone.
On Tuesday the formwork will be removed, except for the supports under the beams, then braces will be placed for the reinforced slabs. We hope to pour again on Wednesday or Thursday which will entail the crane again, as we will pour both the second floor and the garage roof. The floats will be used again to get both slabs totally even and flat and to harden the concrete quickly. The weather is not good so we'll probably get wet during the next week.
Some photos:
Attachments
Shuttering finished.jpg
Shuttering finished and checked
reinforced slabs with 5 rods.jpg
Most of them have 5 rods
Reinforced slabs have arrived.jpg
The reinforced slabs arrived early
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Looking good... What are you doing with the opening between the ground and floor - bricks, doors for access space? 25 cubes is expensive, I just paid 18,000 baht for 10 cubes + crane, your one will be over 40,000 baht!
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Max and Bee,
After we cement render we will install Conwood or Sherawood (just like we do with wood in Australia around the bottom of the house) and have a door each side for access just in case something fails under the house. The pest control people also need access although they will recharge the system from outside. All told I've deposited over 150,000 baht which includes a credit of over 50,000 baht, but that will go in the next week or so when we pour the beams, slab for the second floor and roof for the garage. Whatever is left will be used for the garage floor and the driveway, but I doubt there will be any.
It's by far cheaper to buy all the stuff separately and mix it on site, but some things just have to be done in one fell swoop. It will be the bucket brigade when we pour the final columns. When we do the cement rendering that will all be mixed on site and on the floor involved. I asked the builder if he wanted an electric lift but he said no, they'd do it in their black plastic mixing thingy's, whatever they are called.
I can understand the pressure you must be under being the builder/owner. I doubt I would have lasted as long as you have without killing a few. To be able to talk to the builder and foreman in English and know I am understood makes this build so much simpler and the fact that the plans are not detailed with trivialities also helps. I often thought when I read your thread in the early stages "I would have killed the buggers" and or been divorced by now, whichever came first.
The build has taken a lot of planning though. Just today we were crawling all over the structure making sure everything was just right for the pour tomorrow. All I dream about now is concrete, beams, columns, sand, cement, gravel and cranes. I'll be pleased to see the back of this stage, so I can mark walls with chalk.
We are going to look at some doors for the three bedrooms on Sunday. They are in polished wood with painted motifs and are 11,000 baht each. I need to find out if they can do them in a light stain because the ones on show are nearly black... but smooth as a baby's bottom. I'll try and take photos.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 am

Roger Ramjet wrote: All I dream about now is concrete, beams, columns, sand, cement, gravel and cranes. I'll be pleased to see the back of this stage, so I can mark walls with chalk.

Rodger you need to start getting out more maybe a short holiday :roll:
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:15 am

geordie,
I get out every day. I drive to the build, then come home....what more could one ask?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:38 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:geordie,
I get out every day. I drive to the build, then come home....what more could one ask?

Sure Roger..and i ask myself the same everyday :) lollll
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 pm

The pour was completed by 1230 hrs. The concrete company sent a load every 40 minutes so that by the time the first truck had unloaded his last cube into the bucket, the next truck filled it to the brim with another cube, and when those four cubes were unloaded, the next truck had just pulled up. Everything was coordinated by their rep who was on site. Very impressed.
After we finished the pour the crane extended his arm and placed the replaced slabs that broke from the first batch with the new replacements onto the top of the garage. The company later rang me and asked if this load of slabs had arrived unbroken. I have been impressed with both companies, so has my builder.
The crane was there at 0730 hrs as usual and when asked to place the new reinforced slabs he said "no problem". Also very impressed with that company and we'll use them again on Wednesday of Thursday for the final pour.
Tomorrow is a day off. My wife and I are going to look at the bedroom doors.
Photos:
Attachments
final dribble.jpg
placing the replaced broken slabs.jpg
crane fully extended.jpg
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Another milestone behind you Rodger well done on getting it out of the truck that quick let alone placed
Out of interest given the large quantities you are having off them are they giving you a deal on the cpac
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:31 am

geordie,
The deal I asked for and got was; standard price, fast delivery when we wanted it and no watered down loads. You can't ask for anything else, can you.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Work was impossible this afternoon due to the quagmire around the house (and we have sand and gravel lade) and the continual rain, so the welding together of the slabs on the roof of the garage has been postponed. We did manage to get the steel formwork off the beams this morning and the forms returned. The builder and I went to Thai Watsadu and picked up three rolls of trench mesh, three new diamond cutting blades and half a dozen blades for the cutoff wheel, welding rods and I placed an order for the Japanese ultraviolet water filter (9,000 baht) (and I've forgotten the name of it, already) as well as two shower stalls. I'm still wondering how HomePro can ask 35,000 baht for a shower that costs 15,000 elsewhere?
Once we get the concrete roof of the garage lade and sealed, we will have a dry area to work in no matter how much it rains. Unfortunately the hole where my pool will be is now full again which causes us a major problem because the reinforced slabs that will be lifted to the second floor have to be braced first.
No photos today.
Roger Ramjet

Postby nanbuilder » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:42 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:The next two weeks will go quickly. All the shuttering is up and in place and has been checked and braced. The new crew finalised the plumbing for the two bathrooms today. The crane will be on site and 25 cubes of concrete will be poured tomorrow, then it will hoist the replaced reinforced slabs up to the top of the garage. The new crew has arrived and are up on the second floor checking everything and the old crew is playing cards. Tomorrow will be a busy day for everyone.
On Tuesday the formwork will be removed, except for the supports under the beams, then braces will be placed for the reinforced slabs. We hope to pour again on Wednesday or Thursday which will entail the crane again, as we will pour both the second floor and the garage roof. The floats will be used again to get both slabs totally even and flat and to harden the concrete quickly. The weather is not good so we'll probably get wet during the next week.
Some photos:

I refer to the photo's of what look like concrete planks. Are these the standard precast floor slabs 4m lengths (the ones my engineer is advocating for my build in Nan)? It has just dawned on me that I suspect I will need a crane to drop these on to my 1.9m elevated single floor build? Have never seen them before - surely too heavy to man handle into place? Not sure my access lane will accommodate a large crane.....
Can you please post cost per sqm? and the exact size - they look like 400x50cm but difficult to tell? Many thanks in anticipation.
nanbuilder

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 am

nanbuilder,
Sorry for the delay in replying. In answer to your question, all my reinforced slabs are custom made. They vary in length from 2 metres right out to nearly 5 metres. Different lengths have a different number of steel rods in them. Some of the longer ones have 7 rods, others 6 going right down to 4.
You will need a crane. Normally the crane will have an attachment that can lift four to six at a time. They are "fragile" and we had seven breakages, which the company we used replaced. If they break they are useless and should not be used. You will also have to brace them underneath until you get the top slab poured. They are like a springboard and bend and bow, so they must be reinforced BEFORE they are walked on.
Here's a link to all this I posted previously: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=465
If you look at that thread you'll see how to cut them to fit your beams and also how they fit around columns. You must seal all the gaps with sand and cement. We had a worker under them calling up when they were flush. The workers use rods with hooks at the end to slide them into place, once the supports are there. Supports should be every 1 to 1 1/2 metres.
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
Roger Ramjet

Postby nanbuilder » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:23 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:nanbuilder,
Sorry for the delay in replying. In answer to your question, all my reinforced slabs are custom made. They vary in length from 2 metres right out to nearly 5 metres. Different lengths have a different number of steel rods in them. Some of the longer ones have 7 rods, others 6 going right down to 4.
You will need a crane. Normally the crane will have an attachment that can lift four to six at a time. They are "fragile" and we had seven breakages, which the company we used replaced. If they break they are useless and should not be used. You will also have to brace them underneath until you get the top slab poured. They are like a springboard and bend and bow, so they must be reinforced BEFORE they are walked on.
Here's a link to all this I posted previously: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=465
If you look at that thread you'll see how to cut them to fit your beams and also how they fit around columns. You must seal all the gaps with sand and cement. We had a worker under them calling up when they were flush. The workers use rods with hooks at the end to slide them into place, once the supports are there. Supports should be every 1 to 1 1/2 metres.
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks Roger, much clearer now. Hopefully a smaller crane will be OK for this as my footprint is only 12x12m - guess I leave this level of detail for the builder and engineer - fingers crossed. Also thanks for the costings on the next page - very useful.
nanbuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story