Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 am

Yesterday my wife and I went looking for/at gas ovens, gas top cookers with 5 burners and island extractor hoods. I had searched the super store I normally get everything from, but to no avail. After touring kitchen appliance stores for three hours and getting very peeved about people trying to design my kitchen for ridiculous amounts we finally ended up at HomePro. As soon as we walked in the store a young man ambushed, or attached himself to us. Big white toothy smile and no hesitation about the Farang with his wife. My first words were, "we're just looking we are not buying", but that didn't faze him at all.
Now I go prepared on these looking expeditions and carry a copy of the house layout for the area I'm shopping in, so I had a sketch of the kitchen with the island and where I wanted everything to finally go and the reasons for it, so I pointed to the GAS oven and the 5 ring gas cooker top, one on the island and the other opposite next to the kitchen window.
I like kids who know their stuff and I like kids who actually try even with the language barrier, if they go half way, I'll go the extra distance with them and I might add he understood English, even though at the start he didn't speak it.
We looked at the 5 ring burner gas tops, but do you think they had stand alone gas ovens, no way. All the catalogues they had showed gas tops and electric ovens. I have no idea of the different companies thinking involved, but I don't want an electric oven, they waste electricity, take 20 minutes to get to temperature and with the continuous electricity fluctuations here can destroy a cake, casserole or roast in minutes. So finally after looking at the cheap Chinese imitations and all the promotional crap we ended up looking at a Siemens gas oven with gas cookers on top (35,000), very nice too with all the whistles and bells you would expect from Siemens along with a good warranty. We also looked at island extractor hoods which went from Chinese cheap and nasty to very expensive, do nothing more or less than the middle of the range hoods. The kid was quick and knew his stuff, he took us to a remote area (they are remodeling) and showed us a middle of the road range hood that had a really good motor, cutouts if you leave it on accidentally, a warning when the metal screens need cleaning, three speed fan, LED lights and a nice finish.
We were given the number of days it took to order the gas oven/range and also the island hood. They also agreed to store both items until we wanted them delivered. That kid did a lot of work even though we were "just looking" and as I had drawn a blank at all the other places and they had agreed to store them until needed, I bought both on the spot (60,000 baht).
I know what a lot of you will think about me being a sucker, but that kid, if he gets a commission, earnt every satang of it....and his English started flowing as he gained confidence, and he pissed off a lot of mini bosses from that section with the two sales.
We also spotted a spa with excellent plumbing (easy for the builder to put in) for just 61,000 that I will buy next month as they actually have it in stock and allowed me to take measurements (well the kid did), so he has another sale to look forwards to.
Photo stolen from google:
Attachments
Siemens gas oven.jpg
Siemens gas oven with gas burners
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 pm

The rebar for the beams on the second floor is going up. We got sick of the pool people mucking us around, showing up one day then not the next three, so we went ahead and put the formwork in the pool area to support the beams on the second floor. The last day they "worked" was Saturday, then did a no show until today and then when they did arrive at 10 am without their supervisor, they were told to go away and we would let them know when they could start again. The only saving grace was they worked on Saturday and cleaned up all the dirt they had thrown under the house and along the sides because they were too lazy to use a wheelbarrow.
The builder will pick up 200 forms for the beams on the second floor over the next few days and we should be ready to pour at the end of next week. The pool people, the rain and holidays have cost us the time we saved earlier. It will be an all day pour with 5 trucks and a crane. We also hope to pour the garage roof at the same time, but that can wait until the second floor is ready for pouring if we run out of time.
The reinforced slabs for the second floor will arrive late next week, although the last time they arrived early. We'll have to be careful where they put them this time because we must leave enough room for the cement trucks and the crane.
Photos:
Attachments
Dirt from under the house removed.jpg
Dirt from under the house has been removed
The pool is now in use.jpg
The pool is now in use
Rebar going up.jpg
rebar finally going up
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 pm

Roger, how long do you recommend to wait from pouring the horizontal beams until the prefab planks are laid? I want to ensure the beams will not crack or sack if they have not cured properly and are still a little wet inside.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:57 am

Max and Bee,
The minimum time should be 7 days after the pour is completed for the larger beams like yours and mine. We remove the side shuttering after 48 hours so we can wrap the beams and keep them wet, but leave the bottom planks in place for at least 7 days. In the case of the first floor and garage we left them there for 10 to 14 days, but that was due to the weather.
Don't forget to support your reinforced slabs at least every metre or so between the beams so they don't sag or crack when the slab is eventually poured. The easy way to get the height right is to use the simple, but excellent Thai method of using clear plastic hosing filled with water. After the height of the support beams is deemed correct our foreman uses his new laser level to check, but he's never found the Thai method to be inaccurate.
Don't forget to fill the gaps around the columns and any daylight gaps with a sand and cement mix before you pour the slab.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Today the builder and I went to HomePro to measure the spa, bath, toilets and wash basins for the plumbing prior to pouring the slab for the second floor. I should never be allowed out unsupervised with a Visa Card is all I can say. Instead of just measuring, I went and bought the whole lot; total cost 93,000 baht. The showers were very expensive (32,000 baht) compared to Thai Watsadu (17,000 baht) so I'll be buying those there.
The company supplying the spa also instals it. My builder talked to them for 15 minutes before he told me they actually come out and inspect the house before they instal it. It has something to do with the vibration, hot water heater, size of plumbing, water pressure, electrical board/wiring and the 5 year warrantee that goes with the spa. We shall be keeping an eagle eye on them, but the builder said they appeared satisfied with the set-up I will have, but they will inspect it all the same. Photos on that in about a month or so.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:13 am

O k buying this stuff Rodger but will the shop take it back when the wife has finished beating you
How about a site update ? :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 am

geordie wrote:O k buying this stuff Rodger but will the shop take it back when the wife has finished beating you
How about a site update ? :mrgreen:

What Roger doesnt know is on another forum his wife is running a similar thread and the last entry was yesterday "i went to homepro to buy a large stick to beat my husband with" and all participants were discussing whether it should be aluminium or wood.
It was decided on wood with a nail inserted at the end.............apparently :lol:
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:33 pm

geordie and gliffaes,
I can see neither of you has ever been married to an accountant.
I can also see that neither of you really read what I wrote or understand what I write, so I'll take it step by step, very slowly so I don't confuse you both. To help me to get the point across I shall post pictures and so I don't confuse you even further, I'll put words under the pictures.
I stated my wife and I had already gone to HomePro a week ago when we bought the gas oven and island exhaust fan and that she and I had looked at the spa baths and I was going to get them next month, however, things are happening at the build and not knowing how long before we lay the final slab for the second floor, I decided, over the course of two hours, with my builder with me, it would be more prudent to order and pay for some stuff yesterday because orders take time. I also stated they had a certain Novabath in stock, however, over the course of one week things change. For instance other people buy items similar to what I buy, so when all the talking was done I found out the Novabath I was interested in, had gone...poof, to someone with more clout than me. I also understood listening to my builder that the two smaller Novabaths or jacuzzis were not plumbed on the left side and when installed you would face the wall, not outwards to watch TV, read the newspaper or whatever you do in a spa bath. So I went up scale by two and bought a twin that you can actually lay in, even if you're 6' like me. The extra cost was just 8,000 baht (with discount). I also liked the safety rails along the outside for when I'm old and tottering. Now my wife knows I'm like this and loves me for it, so like all good Thai wives she just says "Up to you" and doesn't say another word.
She was also with me when we looked at the rest of the stuff for the toilet/showers and she did say "Oh, that's too expensive" when she saw the showers for 32,000, which I remembered, because you never forget when your wife is an accountant and a sticky one at that. So when I tried to get something cheaper, it also meant smaller and so, because Thai Watsadu has the same size ones for 17,000, I left the shopping in HomePro at that.
Here are the photos/scans from the catalogue.
Attachments
The bottom one.jpg
The double bottom one is now mine...well mine and my wife's and daughter's. It is 6 foot long so I may drown my teenage daughter in it and get away with murder. Please note the nice railings for when I get a lot older. It will face east and fits into the bathroom perfectly.
too small.jpg
These two smaller ones were just 5' long and would have faced the back wall because of the side the plumbing was on. As well the one they had "in stock" was sold, gone, poof, so it was onwards and upwards.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:49 pm

OK rodger i think i have it now :)
please next time could you write slowly because i don,t read very fast
Looks like i will have to ship some baked beans ! and save a few quid
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:22 pm

geordie wrote:OK rodger i think i have it now :)
please next time could you write slowly because i don,t read very fast
Looks like i will have to ship some baked beans ! and save a few quid

Save your luggage space for the power tools geordie ... beans aren't that heavy but the cans are and the local fare at Rimping, or wherever, is perfectly acceptable.

Heinz, like Sony and Mars [et al], aren't what they used to be.

Roger: your attention to every miniscule detail is commendable but concerns me a litlte; it would be preferable if you are still be capable of enjoying your new abode when finished. Or is that your life in institutions causes you to thrive or depend on such attention?

Thanks for asking: the pond is on hold but stable, the kitchen cabinets are progressing albeit slowly, my wife is highly stressed due to mid-terms being in progress, my dog and cat and koi are all well to the best of my knowledge. The pond can still double as a swimming pool if the koi are willing to accept intruders.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm

MGV12,
Now I thought, once you had seen the spa bath you would have said, "that's just what the koi need", but I take it the kitchen cabinets come first... It is good to see you're still alive though, especially with midterm exams. Perhaps we should drown both daughters together. We could alway claim it was self-defence.

geordie,
I'm typing this slowly, just for you, I hope you appreciate that.

We should be ready to pour the beams on Friday, perhaps Saturday. 200 steel shutterings take a while to put in place and lock together, especially when you're doing a high wire act into the bargain.
Some photos of not much:
Attachments
shutters (200) going up.jpg
shutterings going up
Steel beam.jpg
Steel beam
supports everywhere.jpg
not much to see because of supports.jpg
not much to see, just supports
Crew at work.jpg
crew at work
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 pm

It will be nice to see those beams in Rodger i know and you know you are still making good progress but it seems to have stalled ? Still its given you a breathing space to sort out some of the luxury items without having to rush
I looked hard at the photo,s and could not make you out up there with the shuttering !! even on zoom :?
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 pm

geordie,
The reason it seemed to have stalled was caused by the pool people who lost us a week of the two weeks we had gained by not pouring the slab of the pool earlier, as well as the weather. We'll catch up again. We are going to pour the slab on the second floor at the same time as we do the garage roof, which should be in about 2-3 weeks. There are still 5 months of the build to go, so they'll still have enough time to do all the fiddly bits in the last four months.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:53 pm

geordie,
Here are the missing photos you asked for; please note, they were taken from "up there" yesterday, and today I'll get the builder to take one of me, "up there, where eagles dare". As the SAS motto says, "who cares who wins" if I recall correctly from my soldiering days.
Attachments
Minus shuttering.jpg
Another boring photo from "on high" taken yesterday.....just rebar without the shuttering
bathroom prep.jpg
This is another reason for the slowness over the last week, there is a heck of a lot of pipework to get right for the two bathrooms
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Today we finished off placing the shuttering and making sure it was secure. Stays will be used tomorrow to make sure it stays in place. We are also doing the pipework for the two bathrooms, so we are double checking each other. The builder has the flu so I've been up with the foreman on the second floor to make sure we get all the measurements right the first time. The builder will check them tomorrow from the specs in the catalogues HomePro were kind enough to give us and then we'll probably pour on Friday/Saturday starting early.
All the bathrooms will be 4 inches lower than the main second floor incase of a plumbing failure in the future.
For the unbelievers like Geordie, here's some photos:
Attachments
Bathroom.jpg
The other slightly smaller bathroom from underneath
Big bathroom.jpg
the big bathroom from underneath
Me on the second floor .jpg
Me (with my ponytail, eh MGV12) , slightly closer to god, supervising the measurements
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story