Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Arrhhhh, I knew I'd forget something the showers... three of them.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:52 pm

arrrghhh,
And a bath... gees and I don't drink... perhaps I should?
Roger Ramjet

Postby CDNinKS » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:23 pm

:D Ok, well that's a lot a water to get rid of.

I know you never asked for my opinion or help, but I just don't want to see you have trouble in the future. Thai plumbers don't use "P" traps, that's why most bathrooms smell bad. I will advise you to install them under the shower and bathtub drains. Sinks don't need them as they will have their own installed under the sink itself. Also normally the washing machine P trap is located outside the wall under the stand pipe. I am glad you are keeping your black water and gray water separate.

If you want to tell me to mind my own business....go ahead :lol:
CDNinKS

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:10 am

CDNinKS wrote::D Ok, well that's a lot a water to get rid of.

I know you never asked for my opinion or help, but I just don't want to see you have trouble in the future. Thai plumbers don't use "P" traps, that's why most bathrooms smell bad. I will advise you to install them under the shower and bathtub drains. Sinks don't need them as they will have their own installed under the sink itself. Also normally the washing machine P trap is located outside the wall under the stand pipe. I am glad you are keeping your black water and gray water separate.

If you want to tell me to mind my own business....go ahead :lol:

P traps or u bends are only a requirement on the plumbing that Rodger forgot ??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:43 am

CDNinKS,
Firstly, all opinions are welcome, especially from people with knowledge or experience and in plumbing I have none, except for the fact I was toilet trained, which the army, when I joined, promptly told me to forget... burn, bash or bury was their motto.
Thanks for the tips, I'll ask my builder.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:28 am

geordie,
I take it what you call "P" traps are the U bends with the thing you unscrew when they get clogged. I have extensive experience in that area, firstly with the bath, secondly with the sinks we have currently. Luckily both have U bends and both have access. The culprit each time was hair from my daughter, so to piss her off and give her a message I put "Hair" on the computer and sang along whilst cleaning the buggers out, but I did change the words a little I'll admit and it made no difference....sigh. So, that was the first thing I asked about/looked for this time when I bought all the new stuff and I can tell you they all do. I didn't go for brand names or looks, I went for access, now all I have to make sure is that the Thai tiler doesn't screw that up.
And that is all I know about plumbing, besides those bottles of stuff for blocked pipes that don't work properly and a wriggler, a long one.
Roger Ramjet

Postby CDNinKS » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Yes, although "P" traps can become clogged with hair, etc. they are an essential part of the system. They are not quite as critical if you have a completely separate grey water system from the black water as sewer gases are deadly. But even in a gray water system, you need a water trap to stop bad smells from coming up thru shower and bath drains. It amazes me that people put traps under sinks, but completely ignore showers and baths.
CDNinKS

Postby Ians » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:59 pm

I agree, "P" traps or U bends as some call them are a must, better they clog than the system further along which is much more difficult to get to.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:23 pm

It was a dismal day today, as usual the pool people did not show, the welders did not show, nor did the new addition the old bricky. The old excuse was used, it rained, looked like rain, or it was Monday.
No photos.
Thanks for all the comments about the plumbing, it appears I'm on the right track. or I hope I am.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Never mind Roger I am now here in Thailand so at least "I arrived" :D ps it rained about 3-4ish here at On Nut Bts where I live.
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:55 am

gliffaes,
I'm pleased to hear your plane arrived safely. My current "team" consists of the builder, the foreman, a worker, and a cleaning lady. It rained from 2pm yesterday, right through 'till 5am. You live in a BTS station?

Just like the cricket, rain stopped play yesterday, but at least the welders worked and the suoerblock was moved into the house at various locations. The foreman has taken over the duties of superblock layer and has done a near perfect staggered wall. The Colorbond people arrive late this afternoon and will stay overnight, then put on the roof tomorrow. My drains off the second floor and garage all work and were put to the test yesterday with excellent results.
I wont post the two photos I have, but will wait until I have a few more. The plumbing (grey water) also works.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:13 am

Whats happened with your builder Rodger i would have thought there was enough under cover blockwork to fuel a few days work
The pool people i am not suprised at they are showing true to form good news on the roof though did the truck fit ?? or have they some humping to do ?
And the even better news is the garage roof has had a road test and passed as has the grey
water easier to remedy a faliure now than later
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:01 am

geordie,
Nothing has happened to the builder. Would you allow a woman with experience in tying rebar only to lay superblock? The old man who knew how to lay superblock hasn't shown after my builder paid him an advance. The carpenters have gone back, the rebar ladies have gone back, the plumbers have finished for the present, the electrician is due, the rebar cutter and bender has gone back, the welders are on a separate contract, the pool people just don't show after being given a lecture which is costing them money as of Monday so that's their problem. The pool people will be given another altimatum in the next few days and then we contact another pool company to do what they haven't done (plumbing, slab and sides) and give the original pool people the bill. The pool is again full of stagnant water but my wife showed the contract to the legal eagle where she works and it is ironclad, so I have no worries there because we have informed them in writing and by phone they have violated their contract .
The wooden doors are all on order and I pay the 30% deposit on Saturday after the builder, my wife and I and the door company boss sign the contract. The window people have visited and we have a quote and they are currently talking to the builder about sizes because of the superblock.
I think I've covered everything. My builder is contracted to finish the house sometime in December and we are ahead except for the pool, he brings down people as the work requires and pays them on a contractual basis, when they finish they get paid, then go back to their construction/whatever jobs (where they get paid less) but as skilled workers they can move around and as most have worked for him for 5 to 10 years +, I have no worries there.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:18 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:gliffaes,
I'm pleased to hear your plane arrived safely. My current "team" consists of the builder, the foreman, a worker, and a cleaning lady. It rained from 2pm yesterday, right through 'till 5am. You live in a BTS station?

Just like the cricket, rain stopped play yesterday, but at least the welders worked and the suoerblock was moved into the house at various locations. The foreman has taken over the duties of superblock layer and has done a near perfect staggered wall. The Colorbond people arrive late this afternoon and will stay overnight, then put on the roof tomorrow. My drains off the second floor and garage all work and were put to the test yesterday with excellent results.
I wont post the two photos I have, but will wait until I have a few more. The plumbing (grey water) also works.

Yes you know the section underneath where the dogs sleep???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway you have a had a pretty good run so far with workers so a few days wont make much odds and like many a house i have done up before 12 months down the line you forget about all the time wasting and lie back and bask in your pool.....................im not saying like a beached whale , but well................ :lol:
Right got to go what day is it?? Im still in the UK mentally but at least all my taps sailed thru immigration and customs phew had a vision they would stop the lot and demand another 100k in import duty or something.
In the end I got in more than 65 kilos of stuff.....................Emirates dont weigh hand luggage after check in nudge nudge wink wink so my friend waits with other stuff to put in after the 7 kilos weight test and in went another 8 kilos!!!! Well the plane did take a while to get off the ground this time.
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:12 pm

No pool people again, but they actually talked to my wife... over the phone. I'll talk to my wife later about the penalties if they don't come tomorrow.
The welders are doing overtime, unpaid of course. They finally realised the roof would be on tomorrow and they hadn't painted the rebar and half the steel where it had been welded. They asked if we had lights to work by and out came the two floodlights I bought months ago. I hope it takes all night, teach them to work two days and have three off.
The Colorbond roof goes on tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Some photos:
Attachments
Drain working.jpg
Drain working
Long view.jpg
Long view before the roof goes up
Garage sides done.jpg
Garage sides done
Pantry being blocked.jpg
Pantry being blocked
Mullock Glue.jpg
Mullock or Glue for the blocks