Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:41 pm

I'll post photos tomorrow and do a write-up tomorrow if the internet is still functional because at the moment we are on flood alert in Pak Kret. There's not much can be done, there's no sand left and no sandbags anyway. The highway to the new house is a mess with traffic banked back for miles. Highway 345 has been cut in three places and our new house is also on flood alert.
I've told the builder to move the workers into the house if the water rises anymore. In one spot near the house, where they've run out of sandbags, they have built a mud wall which won't last long. The water under the U turn under the highway has breasted the concrete barrier and the U turn can no longer be used except by truck.
The new house will not flood because the surrounding area would have to be 3 metres underwater for it to get near to the first floor entrance, however our townhouse at Pak Kret is in danger of flooding, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. The local authorities are going to notify everyone by firing fireworks in the air if the levy banks along the Chao Pharaya river are breeched near Pak Kret (very likely) and it won't be until the middle of this month before the thread subsides.
The authorities are in total control in Bangkok though and they have the solution to the problem......they have all deserted the sinking ship (Bangkok) and are holding a Brahman ceremony at a temple asking the water goddess to save Bangkok for them....this gives me great confidence in their abilities. Bah! Bah! and Bah!
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:25 am

Rodger with the description you gave about the river and the highway i decided to look where you are ???
How suprised was i to find you are 25 miles away from our BKK base camp :mrgreen: khlong 6 Thanaburi nr the Rajamangala University of Technology
But given the wife is racist and hate,s Ausie,s (she thinks you,r all criminals) :lol: :lol:
Well she wanted me to teach her history :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sorry to hear that you are suffering with the rain its hard to imagine sitting here freezing the family jewels that you could drown driving to work :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I am suprised the worker,s are still braving it out in the shack,s i thought they would move in soon as a room had a roof or at least sleep inside but good on you for giving it your blessing
I am a bit shell shocked at the moment having hopefully sold the place almost having gave up hope
but life got even more complicated today check your pm
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:52 am

The pool people arrived yesterday and took off the formwork. It was not a good pour as the photos show. They not only made a mess, they had no idea what they were doing with the wriggler. When I left they were repairing all the areas that they'd forgotten to do properly. To be honest I didn't expect too much and I wasn't disappointed. The builder said he had to invoke my name the whole time to even get it to an acceptable standard. When their "engineer" finally arrived he had at least bought the correct sealant. The repair on the walls will be simple enough as we have ample bonding liquid and they have the correct cement/mortar, but if they'd poured it properly they wouldn't have had to do anything further, just seal it.
I read in another thread about things we learn, but things we learn must be taught, and doing it right the first time is easy when people have been taught properly, something that is sorely amiss with the pool people who don't have a leader to teach.
We survived the night in both locations without too much rain and no breaching of the flood walls, but today and all this next week will still be a problem.
I miss the Australian Army. By this stage of a major disaster such as this the army would be everywhere, doing everything for the people and working with them from the lowest "peasant" to the highest "peasant" , but so far I haven't seen one soldier, let alone one vehicle. It would appear they have a different agenda here.
Photos:
Attachments
not a good pour.jpg
Not a good pour
fixing the walls.jpg
Fixing the walls
Sealant.jpg
Sealant
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:55 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:The authorities are in total control in Bangkok though and they have the solution to the problem......they have all deserted the sinking ship (Bangkok) and are holding a Brahman ceremony at a temple asking the water goddess to save Bangkok for them....this gives me great confidence in their abilities. Bah! Bah! and Bah!

Cmon RR tell the truth dont you know they have told tug boats to face seawards and turn their propellors on full blast to push the flood waters out into the sea!!!!! Im not kidding!!
Ive heard of idiotic but theyve taken it to new levels with this one.
Alos due 15th is the high tide so they might have to ad another 1-2 tugs to cope with that!!!!!
Anyway good luck out there still ok in BKK but suspect the inveitable soon moved my car to 5th floor car park and got in some water and dried food. were on the top floor anyway so can use th balcony for a toilet to down below :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 am

geordie wrote:But given the wife is racist and hate,s Ausie,s (she thinks you,r all criminals) :lol: :lol:
Well she wanted me to teach her history :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hope you told her that most of the Aussie crims' are the product of ex pommies (and probably includeding a fair amont of geordies) shipped out from the old dart :lol:
Ians

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:54 am

I thought they were all geordies :lol: when i was a kid we were shown into the crown court some crap about the justice system it was a very very old building and from the dock (apropriately named) was a flight of stairs going down for hundreds of stairs dead straight with a little blob of daylight at the bottom ! supposedly from the era where a loaf of bread got you a complete change of scenery the court was the moot hall in newcastle if anyone knows?
I can almost guarantee none of my ancestors went that way :) a clue is they were blowing up the english untill a few years ago (not really) but its a givaway where religion got out of hand?
and that was the old mans side of the familly
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Today I went to the build and the highway appeared to have weathered the rain rather well and the level of water appeared to have dropped. Everywhere people were madly sandbagging or if they didn't have sandbags, using gravel. At 2130hrs tonight the local administration fired the firework rockets to warn everyone that the levies along the Chao P river had been breached and five minutes later the heavens opened and down came the rain, now all we can do is wait and see what transpires.
Fortunately the new house is still very high and dry and the workers have moved inside to a better environment...some in the garage and others on the second floor veranda. Being the school holidays all of their children have come down from up country and are with their parents.
Work continues inside the house. The swimming pool has been fixed and hopefully we'll be able to get the walls completed now.
I'll post photos of not much tomorrow.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote: The repair on the walls will be simple enough
Photos:

Roger, the pic you have of the sealant, is that something worthwhile putting on top of my first floor exposed to the elements concrete floor? There will be a lot of rain over the 70 year or so lifetime of the
observatory, so want to give it a good coat of something.

Also, what is the final product (bonding glue?) you used between the floor planks and the concrete pour? Do you have a pic of that? Thanks.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby geordie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
Roger, the pic you have of the sealant, is that something worthwhile putting on top of my first floor exposed to the elements concrete floor? There will be a lot of rain over the 70 year or so lifetime of the
observatory, so want to give it a good coat of something.

Also, what is the final product (bonding glue?) you used between the floor planks and the concrete pour? Do you have a pic of that? Thanks.
Lanko%20751[1].jpg
half%20finished[1].jpg

max i took the liberty of hijacking rogers photo,s for you regarding the roof i would be inclined to add waterproofer to the mix and i though you were decking it with conwood? that would be my aim keep the sun off the slab as much as possible the conwood can be replaced periodically but you should get a good few years even without
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:23 am

Max and Bee,
Geordie has posted the Lanko 751 photos, so I'll post the link to the other two products Lanko 222 and a Lanko number I can't remember, but it's in the pdf file and gives a better explanation than I can. http://www.lanko.com.au/lanko/images/pr ... asheet.pdf
If you're going to leave concrete exposed to the elements it's always good form to seal it as concrete is porous.
Some photos that Geordie can't steal yet:
Attachments
Staff quarters.jpg
Part of the new "staff quarters"
The highway.jpg
The main highway
number two.jpg
Pool neatly fixed
dryer than yesterday.jpg
The highway again, as I said it's dryer than yesterday
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:09 pm

I like the new ourdoor pool RR did your guys build that one too???
gliffaes

Postby splitlid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:05 pm

at first glance, it looks like there is a grey car nearly flooded to the roof.
:shock:
splitlid

Postby geordie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:19 pm

splitlid wrote:at first glance, it looks like there is a grey car nearly flooded to the roof.

I thought that ? i had to blow it up to see properly, its his radar detector i think

I will not bother borrowing :lol: those pictures :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:24 pm

splitlid wrote:at first glance, it looks like there is a grey car nearly flooded to the roof.

Yeah I thought that too and was a little dissapointed, thats the trouble with RR hes a drama queen trying to get us all going for sure :lol:
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

I see that the blind is leading the blind. When you can't tell a high end radar detector from a flood, it's time to see the optometrist.
I don't know why they fired the rockets last night because the levy banks appear to be holding on the east side of Chao P river as Pak Kret is not flooded yet. However, highway 345 is so clogged with trucks nothing is moving or if it does move it's at a snail's pace. I sat in the car for an hour today going out to the build and then gave up. It appeared that only large trucks were making it as far as Ban Ba Thong. My builder said the house is high and dry so no problem.
The water on the west side of the Chao P river is a problem and has risen by a foot overnight.
Some photos from the drama queen for the three blind mice:
Attachments
Higher still.jpg
A little bit higher.jpg
No dramas, just water.jpg
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story