Bamboo Eco House, Nakhon Nayok

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Bamboo Eco House, Nakhon Nayok

Postby Smithson » Mon May 03, 2010 5:33 pm

When we returned late Fri, 3/4 of the thatch was up.

roof.jpg
roof.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

We had decided to use the 'Bi Jack' as opposed to the 'Ya Fat' type of the thatch. While I think the latter looks better, it's twice the price and doesn't last as long.

thatch.jpg
thatch.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

Doing the ridge

ridge.jpg
ridge.jpg (32.19 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

Here there will be a mezzanine floor incorporating a small living area and bedroom. From upstairs there will be a view over the mountains, a skilion roof will also be added.

mezz.jpg
mezz.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

This pic shows the two poles that act as bracing, as well as supporting the roof. This allowed us to remove one of the columns creating a more open living area (if you look closely you can see a bamboo support, this will be removed). These pieces were quite tricky, as they combine difficult joints between two fixed points.

brace.jpg
brace.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

Inserting bolts.

bolts.jpg
bolts.jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

This is the view looking out on the front yard. The bamboo support on the left will be removed, there will be a kitchen with a long bench at the front. As the trees shade the afternoon sun, we shouldn't need to add anything to protect the bamboo, so the area will remain open.

inside-out.jpg
Smithson

Postby grant » Tue May 04, 2010 8:26 am

Smithson wrote:
Bamboo doesn't like UV rays, so it's best to keep it away from direct sun. Instead of sawing, you could drill small holes. Are all the poles exposed to sun cracking?

No only about 10% after 1 year. They have three coats of polyurethane so are pretty much protected from UV rays. The splitting I suspect is from the expansion and contraction due to high humidity when it rains in the wet season, low humidity in the dry season and heat from early morning sun all year. I have plants that shade most of the lower half of the poles but they haven't grown tall enough to cover the upper half yet.
grant

Postby grant » Tue May 04, 2010 8:32 am

How often does the thatch have to be replaced and how does it hold up to strong winds and heavy rain? And how resistant is it to insects? We get some pretty strong monsoon winds/storms here at times and I would be afraid of the thatch blowing off. It's very common in Bali but less common here except on small, local structures such as salas.
grant

Postby Nawty » Tue May 04, 2010 9:58 am

I thought there were a lot of resorts around phuket and its islands that built with thatch ?
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby Smithson » Wed May 05, 2010 2:11 am

Grant, that sounds right about the cracking.

For the thatch I think about 5 years, but replacement costs are cheap. It should be ok with the wind. Bugs can be a problem with the bamboo battons the thatch is wrapped around. If properly prepared this shouldn't be a problem.
Smithson

Postby ningnong » Wed May 05, 2010 2:36 am

Smithson wrote: Bugs can be a problem with the bamboo battons the thatch is wrapped around. If properly prepared this shouldn't be a problem.

Can you expand on this a bit please; what bugs, what problem do they cause and what is the treatment? Thanks :-)
ningnong

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."
John Lennon (1940 - 1980)
ningnong

Postby grant » Wed May 05, 2010 7:26 am

Nawty wrote:I thought there were a lot of resorts around phuket and its islands that built with thatch ?

There are a few that I know of. Many use palm leaves but they do not last longer than 1-2 years. Six Senses Resort uses what looks like proper thatch. I do know someone with the company so I'll ask how they are holding up as they've been in operation for about 2 years now.
Attachments
Pool-Villa-Exterior.jpg
grant

Postby grant » Wed May 05, 2010 7:59 am

Here is the response from Six Senses about their thatch roofs:

"We are using sago palm leaves in Yao Noi. They are holding up well with good insulation abilities. However, they do require a fair bit of maintenance. Usually annually or bi-annually you have to add more thatch. You do not have to replace all, but rather add some more on top."
grant

Postby Smithson » Wed May 05, 2010 6:33 pm

The six senses resort is very nice, however the pitch is too low. The min should be 35, we've gone for 45 and lots of the Bali places have even more than that.

They could probably get double the life with a high pitch. You may also find they're doing maintanence for aesthetic reasons.
Smithson

Postby grant » Wed May 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Smithson wrote:The six senses resort is very nice, however the pitch is too low. The min should be 35, we've gone for 45 and lots of the Bali places have even more than that.

They could probably get double the life with a high pitch. You may also find they're doing maintanence for aesthetic reasons.

Interesting. Very useful info.
grant

Postby Smithson » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 am

Have you seen the six senses reosrt im Koh Kud? They have a bamboo bridge and building shaped like a manta ray, impressive structures.
Smithson

Postby Smithson » Thu May 06, 2010 3:54 pm

The scaffolding came down a few days ago, besides a few pieces of bracing, the frame and main roof are now done.

This is the view as you enter the property
back2.jpg

And from a different angle
back.jpg
back.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

Inside the house

inside.jpg

Looking through from the back, the workers are in the mezzanine area.

thru.jpg

Same view from further out, there will be a skilion roof in the front.
thru2.jpg

From a distance

distance.jpg

We are now doing the floor upstairs using split bamboo. It's pretty slow going as neither the split planks or poles they sit on are level, so everything has to be packed to bring it to level. We are fixing with small bamboo dowels, not nails. Once the floor is finished it will be polished. Any feedback is welcome.

floor.jpg
Smithson

Postby Smithson » Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 pm

We've just come back from the build, it's pretty much done, however I had problems with my camera, so there's only a couple of pics.

The mezzanine floor is completed, there's a half decent view, but most importantly the breeze blows through nicely. While it's very hot this time of year, once the rains start things cool down and night time temps are pleasant.

The pic below shows the posts for the skillion roof.
posts.jpg
posts.jpg (36.07 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

These are the rafters. They are only 30 - 40mm in diameter. Rather than go to the trouble of borax preservation, we have heat treated them over an open fire. This traditional form of preservation is not as effective as borax, but the bamboo is so cheap that we thought we'd give it a try. I expect it will last as long as the thatch. Done properly heat/smoke treatment hardens the bamboo making it difficult for bugs to attack, it also leaves a layer of creosote on the exterior, giving further protection.
heat.jpg
Smithson

Postby Smithson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:42 am

The house has now been 90% completed, however we have run out of preserved bamboo, so the finishing touches will have to wait a few months.The place is very cool, similar to sitting under a tree.
back.jpg

front.jpg
Smithson

Postby Nawty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:44 pm

I saw it the other day, very well done it is and an excellent first attempt.

I am thinking to do something in Bamboo myself one day after viewing it......need to polish the bamboo but for my likes.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story