Mae Taeng Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Mae Taeng Build

Postby robertkc » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:11 am

We are still not out of the woods on a very similar access issue for our land...and will pay 100,000 baht for about 200m2 of driveway if all goes well...sticks in the craw but I have asked myself how big a deal it will be in the big picture of our plans? Not enough to be a deal breaker if we get to build our house on this great peice of land we really like.
Is there no other possible access ( no matter if it looks far fetched)? We gave the (also rather shrewish) wife of our driveway land owner a good scare by talking it up about another way out and going to see other land owners on our perimeter- probably would be more expensive anyway, but it was fun to see the stir this caused ( she came back with a story about there being a bad ghost hanging about on the other land!).
On another subject - your roof design - do you have a plan for venting? Our original design was very similar, but I am set on changing it now to incorporate a gable style vent
robertkc

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 am

100.000 Baht seems to be a popular figure. 200m2 is a little better than 38m2. I still am on the fence about it on principle as much as price.

I hope to get my never ending land story up to date soon but busy today.

Robertkc I have done a lot of thinking about venting the roof area. Here is a cut of the elevation showing how the air will move. Hopefully it works. The pitched roofs are in both bedrooms living area and outside Thai kitchen.

Google SketchUp draws with lines and surfaces only so you see hollow areas where concrete should be. I could fix that with a paint program but this shows the hot air flow.

Just click the attachment to increase its size.
Attachments
air flow.jpg
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:22 am

Maybe a stupid question, but after looking on Google Earth around where you are planning on buying land and building, why that piece?
Aren't there many (many) others available?
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:29 am

No that is a good question Fredlk and I am starting to wonder myself. You are right there are many other sites and if someone doesn't bend soon I will be looking at some of them.

Here are some reasons on the plus side.

We both like the Mae Taeng area. This particular property has three mountain fed year round streams that run crystal clear for all but the wettest months of the year and it is a working farm

Love the fact of not having to have an extensive irrigation system

This land is watered by an extensive system of movable dams

good views of mountains and valley

won't have to mow grass

A change of scenery with three crop changes per year

And best of all get paid for leasing out the land I don’t use.

At today's rate that is ten 50kg Sacks. :D :D

I could offer you a special price being a member of CTH and all.
Attachments
the creek.jpg
Here is a photo showing my daughter and one of the creeks
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:43 am

BKKBILL wrote:This particular property has three mountain fed year round streams that run crystal clear for all but the wettest months of the year and it is a working farm

I forgot about that. Yes that would be a big plus.
One more thing. Your land is surrounded by higher elevations on all sides. Aren't you worried about flooding?
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:09 pm

fredlk wrote:Aren't you worried about flooding?

Not at all my wife was but we just came back when many districts were being declared flood disaster areas and there was no problem. Although the creek took out the bridge my daughter is sitting on in the photo and it was running muddy. All the land slopes to this lower creek.
BKKBILL

Postby robertkc » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:13 am

I hope to get my never ending land story up to date soon but busy today.
Looking forward to the next chapter, fingers crossed :)

Robertkc I have done a lot of thinking about venting the roof area.

Your design looks like it will work - nice rendering - have you seen this venting plan installed on a house? I saw this idea on a picture of a Chiangrai house but the air space between roof levels was quite a bit wider than your design suggests. We may still go that route as my wife prefers the style,( a continuous bird stop screen will keep the critters out?) but I think adding the gable vent with an extractor fan might be more effective in cooling the roof space...along these lines:
baliroof.jpg
baliroof.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 932 times
robertkc

Postby fredlk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 am

robertkc wrote:I think adding the gable vent with an extractor fan might be more effective in cooling the roof space...

I wouldn't think you'd need an extractor fan. Surely the hot air would escape out of the top unaided?
fredlk

Postby robertkc » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:30 am

Surely the hot air would escape out of the top unaided?

Yes, I`m sure convection works, Fredlk - and its free of course-just thinking of being able to increase the air flow sometimes during the really hot months.
robertkc

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:46 am

I do like the Bali roof style got the idea for my roof came from that.

The gap around the roof will probably be increased (good eye robertkc :lol: :lol: ) but it was just to much work changing on my plan and a proper plan will still need to be drawn before building.

Just think about a hot air balloon will give you an idea as to the power of hot air rising.
BKKBILL

Postby Nawty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am

<off topic comment removed, Dozer 8/31>
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:24 pm

the never ending land purchase.

Here we are our last full day in Chiang Mai. :( :(

Yesterday morning my wife is back talking to the shrill with an offer of 75% of her asking price. Can’t even say 100,000 without choking now. Alas no deal she wants full price.

So off we go to see the big land owners stopping to pick-up my wife's confidante on the way.

There is no sense hiding the farang (still me) as that ploy has been unearthed.

Now we have learned there are three brothers and their wife's involved in this and the land is divided into ten chanotes. It was given to them by the Mother years before. When cash is required some land is sold.

I always thought the more information you have about a purchase the better deal you can make.

So here we are finally with the land owners face to face. We make an offer which is turned down but without a counter offer being made. Lots of talking then a mention of the property being land-locked with the extra costs incurred us (you already know that figure). I don’t understand it there seems to be no compassion for these extra expenditures we will have to incur. :roll:

And here I was told it’s a buyers market.

Seems like these people don’t need cash at this time as the full price is again put to us. As said the time is running out so finally we had too capitulate but wanting them to pay the land tax but that also meets with a no no, so here we are paying the asking price, the land tax and we were the ones having to get copies from the land office for all the Chanotes. This is not going well and a bad taste is starting to intensify in my mouth. Got to wondering if Max could lend me that Glock he plans to put in his wife's hands although I'm not sure who I would use it on. :D

Anyway our last offer was we pay full price but only half the land tax. Five of the owners agree one brother is holding out and that is where it now stands. Phone numbers were exchanged the hold outs wife said she would talk to the husband and we sadly parted company.

So there you have the tale of the never ending land purchase. We will await a phone call but I’m not holding my breath. It the meantime I will continue adjusting my SketchUp plan. Until there is a plot of land to put it on I will not engage an engineer or have it printed out.

The thing is my daughter has just started her last year at Silpakorn University here in BKK so it's not as if we don't have time. If nothing happens about the time she completes her schooling I may bite the bullet. If not I hear there is a plot of land in Sattahip for sale. :lol: :lol:

This all took place on a very busy morning. The afternoon went much better with no talk of any of this.

We when to visit MGV12. Had the opportunity of looking over his build and the famous koi pond. All done to a very high standard. The home would fit nicely into the magazine Better Homes and Gardens. Sadly the koi had not yet made their appearance. Then we all went out for a few beers and a great lunch. Three farang, MGV12, Thaifly and your truly accompanied by our wife's unfortunately MGV12s wife was at university so that pleasure will have to wait for next time.

In conclusion the price difference is only about 40,000 Baht which is a small figure in the overall cost. I do like the land but unfortunately I get the feeling I’m being ripped off for being a farang in this deal so at this time they the owners and the shrill can twist in the wind.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:49 pm

BKKBILL wrote:And here I was told it’s a buyers market.

I know that is said tongue in cheek, but in Thailand, as a Farang, it isn't, ever. It isn't even a sellers market for us.
We have to take what we get, especially when there are private people involved.
As you and I have both experienced, the only thing 'cheap' is a re-possession and even that is not cheap just the normal price.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:01 pm

BKKBILL,
I think you had better check with my post about land tax. If the sellers want you to pay then they are asking you to break the law. They must pay, not you.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:BKKBILL,
I think you had better check with my post about land tax. If the sellers want you to pay then they are asking you to break the law. They must pay, not you.

RR I have purchased about eight property's here in Thailand and know how it is supposed to work.

Appreciate your input but do you really think my telling the owners Thai law would change the result of this transaction.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story