Mae Taeng Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Mae Taeng Build

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:36 am

OK I’m back. Computer acting up this morning for the first time very alarming. Something to do with pram. :( :(
I don’t know what it does but know how to reset it. :D :D Thank goodness for Google :) took me back to my windoze days.

Not good. :( :(

Now the separate garage. I didn’t want the house to look any longer as it is already over 23M. The walk way could be easily covered for rain protection, but don’t think that will be done. At least not during the build. Of course an umbrella could be used. The distance without cover is about 6M. For me no big deal.

The garage will be 6Mx6M with a 6Mx2M pump house/store room at the end.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-28 at 11.35.36 AM.png
Back view
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:15 pm

The never ending land purchase continued:

As said tried to make a deposit on the land we were interested but was told a farang had put down a deposit to hold it for one year. During the next few months the Realtor we were dealing with said the land could be still had but at a higher price because of this farang deposit. This didn’t sound right so we decided to let it go. :( :(

Nine months go by and my good friend from Canada was here visiting so we all went up to Mae Taeng for a holiday and thought I would show them the land we had been interested in.
While there my wife met a woman who lives close by, they have become good friends.

Our story of just missing out buying the land was told to her and she knows all about it (Mae Taeng is a small place :D ) lo and behold there was no farang purchase but the Realtor who we were dealing with had done the dastardly deposit deal. :( :( Be careful out there boys and girls not all Thais are on the up and up. :P

Home we go with the intent of waiting this shyster out which we did.

Three months later we hear from my wife's new found and very informant friend. The swindler is trying to get his deposit back. Was pleased to hear that was not on and the owners kept it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Justice comes it mysterious ways.

Some time passes and the two of us are again on the road to CMX with some newly acquired Baht in my pocket. Things are certainly on the up tick not only do we have a plant in the enemies lair keeping us up to date on proceedings but turns out she is also a neighbor of said land owner. What could go wrong. :roll:

Thanks to CTH I have become friends with a number of people in CMX and consequently offered on this trip accommodations at a five star resort called *Lands End” from there we were able to take a very scenic back road to the “land”. Thanks again Allan much appreciated.

If you stay tuned you will be caught up to date in the next installment of the never ending land purchase.

Here is a screen shop of the front looking into the garage.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-28 at 11.56.11 AM.png
Front view
BKKBILL

Postby Nawty » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:44 pm

How does that google draw up thingy work ??

Can any numbnutts use it ??

Is it giving you those elevations also ??

I real wanna do it, but I would like to get to the quality Splitlid does....if he on here, not sure he member here...anyway, me and puters and technical details are not a great match.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Nawty wrote:Is it giving you those elevations also ??

Nawty, I like the program there are lots of videos you can view. Just start with something small. Just Google SketchUp

Did spend a lot of time on this one it is to scale and shows the complete interior and all elevations. The price is right.

Splitlid is on here.
BKKBILL

Postby splitlid » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:18 pm

hi Nawty,

sketch up is great,its a basis pick up and play program, and really you dont need to be computer savvy at all to use it. you tube has many tutorials so its even better. you can also get heaps of free stuff on '3d werehouse'
there you can find objects to put in your house etc.
vray for sketchup is probably the best rendering program, however it is pretty complicated to learn.
you can also get the artlantis plugin for sketchup.

i use sketchup for basic concept stage,room placement etc, because its so quick,
i then take the concept to Archicad, for design development and documentation.although, archicad is limiting in the designs you can produce(freeform is difficult), it is one of the best CAD programs available.

other modelling programs such as cinema 4d,rhino etc are great as they allow more fluid objects to be designed but again they are difficult to learn.and they dont do documentation.

3d rendering are done in artlantis, basically because it can produce a pretty good render in a short amount of time, obviously, the more objects(polygons) you have then the longer it takes to produce a render.
i am currently learning maxwell render, which produces some great renders but take alot of setting up and alonnnnnnnnggggggg time to render a picture.

if you need any help let me know.

forgot to add, BBKBills model is excellent,shows the power of sketchup.well done that man.
:D
splitlid

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:57 am

splitlid wrote: BBKBills model is excellent,shows the power of sketchup.well done that man.
:D

Thanks splitlid. Even surprised myself. :D :D Rendering would make a lot of difference.

the never ending land saga continues.

Well here we are still in Mae Taeng running out of time but ready to get our property deal complete with a few extra Baht in our pocket from a small duplex my wife just sold,

With any land purchase prudence is the name of the game especially with the time coming for the departure of some of those crispy bank notes. So off we go to Mae Taeng land office to do a land search and check the location of the pins (boundary markers). Due diligence and all that. We did see the pins at the property but you never know this being the land of smiles.

At the land office everything seems to be in order except for one small detail there is no access to the property.

A six meter road assess from the paved road to approximately eight meters from the land I am trying to purchase is shown but nothing for the last eight meters to connect this land to road. So here we are land locked by a forty-eight sq. meter plot. The every nice Thai official in the land office served us well so my wife was able to look at the large sheets that showed who the owner of this problem piece of ground was.

The next morning armed with a name and phone number we start out again with high hopes. No need for an address as the land in question is blocking us from the main road and our dream. The three of us my wife her friend and yours truly head off to see how much 48 sq. Meters of land in the middle of nowhere would cost.

Now you are not dealing with the someone who has just fell off a turnip truck here so a plan is struck. The farang (me) will drive past said property and park in a unseen area the girls will walk back to this problem land owners house to see what deal can be made. All this planning and strategizing has got the old farang (still me) tired so I have a nap while the girls make their deal.

The ladies return and my wife said the first question this problem housewife land owner asks is “ Are you the wife of the farang who is buying the land next door”.

The jigs up no amount of weaselling can get you out of this so my bride had to fess-up and say yes. The next thing that comes out of the problem housewife land owner mouth is “One hundred thousand Baht” Well after my wife dusted herself off from hitting floor the deal making commenced.

Now my wife can barter with the best of them but unfortunately this shrill (note the change from housewife) knew what she had in she hot little hand. And that was access to eight rai and a rich no nothing farang husband with wheelbarrows full of cash. Just in case you didn’t know all farang are rich and most know nothing. If you doubt this ask any Thai you know for conformation. So now we have the price to deduct from our offer for the big land. What can you say if this deal ever goes thru this shrill will be my next door neighbour

Another day gone and I still haven’t got over to MGV12’s place to see the famous koi pond. Well guess that will have to be tomorrow. We are near done but the old guy (me) is tired.

Later
BKKBILL

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:23 pm

BKKBILL wrote: this shrill (note the change from housewife) knew what she had in she hot little hand. And that was access to eight rai and a rich no nothing farang husband with wheelbarrows full of cash. Just in case you didn’t know all farang are rich and most know nothing. If you doubt this ask any Thai you know for conformation.

I admire your attitude BkkBill. My response is a little less polite - when someone tries to screw us over, either when we were searching for land,
or when buying materials, or getting things done, we make sure they know if they think they can rip us off, they are very stupid, and we will never
ever do business with them, and tell others to stay away from them.

As a case in point, the first guy who did soil infill tried to rip us off by putting 30-40 cm instead of the agreed 50cm, I had some heated exchanges
with him - now there is another Italian guy starting to build, and we told him to stay away from that particular rip-off artist. The other soil man has actually
come by the land twice asking of we need soil for infill, the first time I was not there, the second time I told him I will never do business with him
again, and am using another man in the village for soil, his competitor. A few other examples also the last few months. Those that treat us fairly get
repeat business, so we as westerners need to be tough and not take this crap from the locals.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:My response is a little less polite - when someone tries to screw us over, either when we were searching for land, or when buying materials, or getting things done, we make sure they know if they think they can rip us off, they are very stupid, and we will never ever do business with them, and tell others to stay away from them.
... so we as westerners need to be tough and not take this crap from the locals.

It's a fine line you need to take. "Face" is a big issue here as we all know. Saying no thank you without insulting somebody offering their services is a delicate business.
Don't take this lightly. You might end up needing your firearms. :wink:
fredlk

Postby Nawty » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks Split....I know you gave me a lot of info before...shows how useless and how much I procrastinate to do something I am scared to touch...anything to do with computers and tech stuff...

I still have that design of mine you rendered up....love it....a guy I know might want to build it, simpler design and materials but.

I really should get off my arse and do it...but I know it will take forever and I will screw it up.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Well I do agree with you Max.

My wife did ask the shrew how she could ask so much for 48 Sq.M in the middle of nowhere and the answer was “be cause it is the only way into that land". This is a one off so without that plot the deal is off and she knows it. Hate to admit it but she is making all the right moves to maximize her profit. The land she is on is for sale for three million Baht I don’t know the size not interested and the house is crap (can I say crap) but really she is holding all the cards on this one.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:14 pm

BKKBILL wrote:...but really she is holding all the cards on this one.

I am sure you know the Thai system. She asks for 3 times the price she really wants in her hand knowing you will barter her down.
Offer her 33,333.33 Baht and say that is your final offer. She'll most probably snap it up.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:12 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Well I do agree with you Max.

My wife did ask the shrew how she could ask so much for 48 Sq.M in the middle of nowhere and the answer was “be cause it is the only way into that land". This is a one off so without that plot the deal is off and she knows it. Hate to admit it but she is making all the right moves to maximize her profit. The land she is on is for sale for three million Baht I don’t know the size not interested and the house is crap (can I say crap) but really she is holding all the cards on this one.

Bill ... there you go with the 'crap' word again :P

As you are a 'no nothing farang' we obviously want to help but it's difficult to make suggestions without a site plan ... Mae Teang can't be that remote as it's on Google Earth, which means you must have a Tesco Express and at least three 7/11's. :) :D :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:27 pm

MGV12 wrote:Bill ... there you go with the 'crap' word again :P
:

Well now I know I’m being picked on.

Max&Bee-in-CM used the crap word a few post before I did. Was there a complaint then.

No .....

Then Nawty uses the screw word a complaint.

No ......

:lol: :lol:

Will see what I can do about a Google Earth shot of the never ending land.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Here is a screen shot of The never ending purchase.

The straight gray line is a road that is proposed. When I asked when it will be cleaned up and black topped all I got was a big smile. So we won't count on that. Red circle is the pricey bit and you can just see the shrews house next to the circle.

Brent you should recognize this place the road leading off to the right is to the Mae Taeng market. The road going past the land goes to a couple of elephant camps.
Attachments
the land2.jpg
This is a little better
the land.jpg
Shows area
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:27 pm

For those who know the area here is a shot showing a greater area.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 10.28.02 PM copy.jpg
Google Earth from 8.23km.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story