Mae Taeng Build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Mae Taeng Build

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:58 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Hopefully the account of the never ending land purchase will conclude.

I don't want it to conclude. I want it to continue. :?
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:12 pm

fredlk wrote:I don't want it to conclude. I want it to continue. :?

Oh! Just so you know the shrew will not be at the party and there will be a whole new set of players except for your truly. :)

Although those elephants sound like fun.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:18 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Oh! Just so you know the shrew will not be at the party and there will be a whole new set of players except for your truly. :)
Although those elephants sound like fun.

I'll ask again in the morning. I might understand you then. :lol:
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:38 pm

fredlk wrote:I'll ask again in the morning. I might understand you then. :lol:

List of thespian:

Shrew, woman controlling land access to road

Current players, original land owners

New players, new land owners

Elephants, from Nawty’s land

Yours truly, me
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:50 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Oh! Just so you know the shrew will not be at the party

You left out party. :wink:
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

fredlk wrote:You left out party. :wink:

Yes the party. That will be in the new house and at the conclusion of Mae Taeng build.

As stated the shrew will not be invited.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:16 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
As stated the shrew will not be invited.

Surely every good party needs a pinata :) :D :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby gliffaes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:12 pm

BKKBILL wrote:the never ending land purchase.

Here we are our last full day in Chiang Mai. :( :(

Yesterday morning my wife is back talking to the shrill with an offer of 75% of her asking price. Can’t even say 100,000 without choking now. Alas no deal she wants full price.

So off we go to see the big land owners stopping to pick-up my wife's confidante on the way.

There is no sense hiding the farang (still me) as that ploy has been unearthed.

Now we have learned there are three brothers and their wife's involved in this and the land is divided into ten chanotes. It was given to them by the Mother years before. When cash is required some land is sold.

I always thought the more information you have about a purchase the better deal you can make.

So here we are finally with the land owners face to face. We make an offer which is turned down but without a counter offer being made. Lots of talking then a mention of the property being land-locked with the extra costs incurred us (you already know that figure). I don’t understand it there seems to be no compassion for these extra expenditures we will have to incur. :roll:

And here I was told it’s a buyers market.

Seems like these people don’t need cash at this time as the full price is again put to us. As said the time is running out so finally we had too capitulate but wanting them to pay the land tax but that also meets with a no no, so here we are paying the asking price, the land tax and we were the ones having to get copies from the land office for all the Chanotes. This is not going well and a bad taste is starting to intensify in my mouth. Got to wondering if Max could lend me that Glock he plans to put in his wife's hands although I'm not sure who I would use it on. :D

Anyway our last offer was we pay full price but only half the land tax. Five of the owners agree one brother is holding out and that is where it now stands. Phone numbers were exchanged the hold outs wife said she would talk to the husband and we sadly parted company.

So there you have the tale of the never ending land purchase. We will await a phone call but I’m not holding my breath. It the meantime I will continue adjusting my SketchUp plan. Until there is a plot of land to put it on I will not engage an engineer or have it printed out.

The thing is my daughter has just started her last year at Silpakorn University here in BKK so it's not as if we don't have time. If nothing happens about the time she completes her schooling I may bite the bullet. If not I hear there is a plot of land in Sattahip for sale. :lol: :lol:

This all took place on a very busy morning. The afternoon went much better with no talk of any of this.

We when to visit MGV12. Had the opportunity of looking over his build and the famous koi pond. All done to a very high standard. The home would fit nicely into the magazine Better Homes and Gardens. Sadly the koi had not yet made their appearance. Then we all went out for a few beers and a great lunch. Three farang, MGV12, Thaifly and your truly accompanied by our wife's unfortunately MGV12s wife was at university so that pleasure will have to wait for next time.

In conclusion the price difference is only about 40,000 Baht which is a small figure in the overall cost. I do like the land but unfortunately I get the feeling I’m being ripped off for being a farang in this deal so at this time they the owners and the shrill can twist in the wind.

When you first start looking you think you have found the perfect place, trust me IT ISNT, there are many perfect places, it took me and my wife 18 months of HARD looking, asking and many let downs too.
In the end we found a seller who "needed" to sell, we turned down many greedy owners who changed the price.
After the first few let downs I got immune to any attachment to a particular piece. You have to detatch yourself from it completely.
I would have turned them down.
When e first started looking there was nothing with agents for less than about 600000 (600k) per r ai yet by asking locals we got it down to 10 rai for 800000 or 80k per rai Nor sor sam 3 even local banks were asking a lot more for repossessed pieces. Find a "seller" not someone who just sees a fast buck, they all live in cloud cuckoo land and think they will hit he big time, but there are a few more realisitc sellers out there these are the ones you need to find.
gliffaes

Postby fredlk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 pm

To use a good old German saying which I heard all the while I was growing up: Na, und? (So, what (news)?)
fredlk

You can't build 'till you have somewhere to build it on ...

Postby MGV12 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:38 pm

C'mon Bill ... your friends at CTH miss you ... time for an update on that land saga of yours ............................

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

The never ending story continued

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Back in the middle of September we received a reply from our informant in Mae Taeng that the land with creeks has been sold to someone from BKK. Unbeknownst to us this offer was on the table when ours was made and must have been the reason no counter offer was forth coming in bartering a sale price.

With this and the “shrew” trying to take advantage of a poor Farang I don’t feel all that bad.

Fortunately we still have time before my daughter is finished her schooling here. We do have a number of leads and a few people helping us so don’t think it will be long before this chronicle is completed and we get on with the Mae Taeng Build.

So now we are up to date.

Have been busy now using realtors in the Mae Taeng area as we are in BKK and my own search hasn't been successful to date. During that time we have bought and sold numerous properties here in Bangkok but one for our own home up north has been elusive until now.

Last week we were again in the north looking at a couple of hot leads. Again both were sold this time to teachers from you guessed it BKK. It’s getting time to complete this search so off to the areas bank to check repossessed land. A few looked promising until viewing, it was easy the see the reason for letting them go. It seems the nice realtor was trying to skim not just his fee but an additional 500,000 in inflated prices. No wonder they never want you to meet the owners.

Time again is not on our side. My wife suggests the village head honcho so off we go. Looked at eight or nine plots, I am now starting to lose count. Nothing quite right but on the way back to his place he remembers one he forgot about.

It really is hard to believe but that one turned out to be what we both were looking for. For me if the plot doesn't have the right feel I'm just not interested.

So the bartering begins. The ask is 1,800,000 for 8+ Rai so offer 1,500,000. You can see I’m getting desperate. Next day we hear that price has been rejected twice before and this was about the high end of what I wanted to pay but the land is the best we have seen in our five year search so the next step would be 1,600,000 but I want to get back to BKK so 1,700,000 it is. Still not quite there the come back is 1,750,000. Thank god this is Baht. Deal done.

I know this is not a high price in many areas but in Mae Taeng it is getting up there. Once this price gets out to the locals all prices for land in this area will rise accordingly. The good, the bad, and the ugly, it’s the Thai way.

Will post pictures and description later as it is now well past my nap time. :D :D
BKKBILL

Postby otis-a » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:09 am

Congrates on getting your land closed
it must be a whale of a provential palace u r planning
stateside the rot is land should be 1/3 to 1/4 of home value
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:51 pm

otis-a wrote:Congrates on getting your land closed
it must be a whale of a provential palace u r planning
stateside the rot is land should be 1/3 to 1/4 of home value

Thanks Otis. The reason for the large size and price of the land is for future division probably into one or two Rai plots. The long term plan is to build homes for retired farang using a 30 year lease or to Thais by straight sale. The house that is going to be built will be my home and also the show house.

We did find one other plot not far from this one with even better views that both my wife and I like. Unfortunately it is not for sale at this time but the owner knows we are interested so that is a wait and see.
BKKBILL

Re: The never ending story continued

Postby fredlk » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 am

BKKBILL wrote:Will post pictures and description later as it is now well past my nap time. :D :D

I think I must have somehow missed those "pictures and description" or ..... are they still to come?
fredlk

Previous

Return to Your Building Story