building a house in sarapii, chiangmai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: building a house in sarapii, chiangmai

Postby setaputra » Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm

People seem to like them

Their practical purpose to to allow the roof extentions so that we have shade on the terraces and keep more heat away from the house

Their mass helps too, as sitting behind them avoids direct sunlight

Depending on the time of day and where the sun is, determines on which terrace we relax on.

Thanks for your comments
setaputra

Postby setaputra » Tue May 17, 2011 10:43 am

There are a few things I would have done differently

But I don't want to pre-empt what members think, having viewed this thread

It would be interesting to see if what you guys think i should have done differently are the same as mine (which i will post later), now that I've lived here a few months
setaputra

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed May 18, 2011 9:52 am

Ok, you may remember that I love the design of your build...the columns are just awesome.

Here the reasons why I finally ended up with something complete different:
- Getting older (I think everbody experience this..) I try to reduce the steps I need to walk.
- I dont like the fact that directly after the main entrance the living room starts.
- You have a nice huge terrasse in the back (outside kitchen and dining area) but you need to go through the house or a smal access in the back to come there.
- I like the colorbond roof and at least I think it would not work with the design (mainly columns) as you have it.

Some further comment regarding color scheme...(but there personal taste is more important):
You used a light grey roof what brings freshness...but I think the colors of your house and the dark brown columns do not fit to the grey roof.
Maseratimartin

Postby setaputra » Wed May 18, 2011 10:26 am

Having a wrap around terrace is something i may have wanted to have thought about with my architect. You have correctly picked up one of the points I have second thoughts about.

It does work though.

If in the garden we can enter either of the two terraces quite easily.

And if, on sitting in one, it gets a little hot (or in direct sunlight rather), we can move with guests onto the other terrace

The pillars protect much of the sun's rays and we sometimes have fans on.

It is basically a two person house so having wrap round terraces particularly if incorporating the higher terrace may make it very much bigger.

Some good thoughts though
setaputra

Postby setaputra » Sun May 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Some things I would have changed:

1. A double window not a single in the master shower. It overlooks a banana plantation and frosted glass (as in the current single) would ensure privacy

2. A slightly higher vide about 9 inches

3. And, maybe. Having a large window rather than a door on the West side. I'm still in two minds about that
setaputra

Postby setaputra » Sun May 22, 2011 7:42 pm

We could have widened the kitchen area by a metre and a half and had a north terrace maybe linking the master bedroom terrace

We don't need a bigger kitchen area and the north faces bananas so not of great garden interest. The terrace would have to be two level to link to the bedroom terrace and roof elevations would be greater

I'm toying with the idea of getting some views from our architect

What do you guys think. Would it spoil the overall effect
setaputra

Postby setaputra » Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Also, I would have had mosquito guards on the three first floor doors and the bedroom balcony sliding doors

Any other comments?
setaputra

Postby steelyeel » Sat May 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi !
Admiring your house !! The columns are very unique and the wrap around verandah is perfect. You said that your plans were on Teakdoor but I couldn't find them. Around what date did you post them ? Keen to have a look. Thanks !
Regards
Steelyeel
steelyeel

Postby setaputra » Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 pm

The floor plans are on page 1 of this site

I moved from teakdoor to here because when i had problems posting pictures they thought it more prudent to post sarcstic comments than to actually offer any advice

to be fair i had problems posting pics here too; but that was met with constructive advice from a moderator and i was able to upload ok
setaputra

Postby setaputra » Sat May 28, 2011 5:12 pm

My wife is now talking about building a computer room on the far side of the west balcony

It would involve putting a low wall in between the first pillar and the upstairs balcony, fitting windows, and installing power and electric light

My gut feel is is that it is not a good idea and would also spoil the overall effect for no real added advantage. Plenty of room I think inside the house for the computer. It takes up little room and eats nothing. What more can I ask for.

Any comments,guys
setaputra

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat May 28, 2011 5:38 pm

setaputra wrote:My wife is now talking about building a computer room on the far side of the west balcony
Any comments,guys

Hmmm, when it comes to computers and the significant other, I like to keep a close eye. Bee's laptop is in the study room, and we share computers also (about 5 in the room) if need be. I would be worried about isolating to a separate area, facebook and hi5 and the like have been known to cause many a marital problem. My feeling would be to setup a separate pc table in your study room or in the corner of the living room.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 am

The living room is my computer room...not office...just computer room!

Connect to the flat screen and surf in the net while relaxing on the couch... :wink:
Maseratimartin

Postby setaputra » Sun May 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Oh

And we should have had mosquito guards on the three main doors and the balcony slider door
setaputra

Postby setaputra » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:34 am

we have decided not to build a new computer room; the present arrangement is fine

thanks for your comments
setaputra

Postby otis-a » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 am

the wrap around poorch or veranda is cool idea.
Many older houses n southeast gulf coast area of usa and a few also seen in Oz use the wrap around porch.
One consideration is:
Were each room to have entrance via pourch; then inside hallway could be kept to minimum: thereby maximize inside living space.
Do u get u drive cemented and garden works completed?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story