building a house in sarapii, chiangmai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: building a house in sarapii, chiangmai

Postby FordCapri » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Good looking house, do you have final costings etc. I am in the planning stage working out what budget I need to achieve the vision so all info appreciated.
FordCapri

Postby setaputra » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:43 pm

3 million.

A few points.

One needs to watch all work being carried out.

Check foundations:once filled in, you can't see any problems I attended all the pours.

Check number of coats of paint

Check tightness of plumbing and electrical connections.
setaputra

Postby pattayapope » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:14 am

Good points well worth remembering most builders are driven by cost and schedule and quality is not always on their mind if it looks ok when they walk away they are happy but six months down the road you will start seeing problems. :roll:
pattayapope

Postby setaputra » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:50 pm

pattayapope wrote:Good points well worth remembering most builders are driven by cost and schedule and quality is not always on their mind if it looks ok when they walk away they are happy but six months down the road you will start seeing problems. :roll:

Absolutely. Pattayapope. If it wasn't for the fact that it would have been considered rude to use capital letters, your comment is worthy of putting in capitals. I'd have substituted greed for cost though.

I got on reasonably well with my builders but there were some niggly snagging points at the end that went unaddressed. Presentation (and what they know you can see) is all important to a Thai (builder or not). Putting in small screws on the door stops saved them about 5 baht each and we've needed to replace them with those of the correct length. The Thai business ethic considers it clever to pull one over on a customer. Happens elsewhere of course but for a few baht it does more damage to their credibility and prospects of future business and possible referrals !!!
setaputra

Previous

Return to Your Building Story