My House in Issan.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

My House in Issan.

Postby Lingyai » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi,
Just got back from Issan after a 2 month stay. It was the first time i have stayed in my new 2 bed bungalow, and was happy with the finished project. Only a few things which i found was the the tiling a few had been broken and just cemented on the wall and amisplaced towel rail other than that nothing major to report. The total cost was around 600,000 baht that includes 120,000 baht labour, still got the wall to do and some landscaping, will have to get back home and start saving! Any questions please ask. I have uploaded a 6 minute video on Youtube so you can look around my little winter getaway! Location 65km north of Ubon Ratchathani nearest main town is Phana 9km away.
Please click the link for the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St3oP5o48JU
Lingyai

Re: My House in Issan.

Postby thaifly » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:51 am

its a gidday to lingyai...great effort :D great low cost build :D great camera work :D great labour cost :D great total price 15.000 quid all up :D great to see another c.t.h member sucessfull with out any expensive western bldr/consultant services :D :D :D .. your shelia has done a great job. the very best of luck in your new home :D :D :D ..ITS A GREAT GREAT GIDDAY TO ALL..its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby fredlk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 am

thaifly wrote:great low cost build - great total price

I agree and congratulations. That is dirt cheap and at today's exchange rate only 12,000 Pounds.
fredlk

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:30 am

Well done, and nice little video. Standard semi DIY price for the size and type of construction. Very similar design and price to the new house I am building for my in-laws (480,000, have the land already). Similar houses sell new on housing estates on the udon Thani ring road for 1.2 million including the small patch of land, so when you discount a contractor's turn key price, you can see the saving you have made. Projects of this size do not under any circumstances warrant the services of a consultant or a project manager, and I doubt that any one would rccommend such an idea.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby developer3d » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:34 am

Hi Lingyai

Yes great small home project I am sure you will be very happy, congratulations.

I totally agree with Jazzman " projects of this size do not under any circumstances warrant the services of a consultant or a project manager, and I doubt that any one would recommend such an idea "

I don't know if any members or contributors are offering "expensive western building consultant services" I have not seen such offers or solicitation on here and I am certainly not so I don't have any agenda here at all but there lots of project when such a service would be highly recommended and to make such sweeping statement in connection with a modest build like this project is naive.

There dozens of examples of next generation building techniques such as alternative energy, passive cooling and eco friendly design where paying for the guidance of a western mentor in the space, someone that can bridge the gap between lost cost labour and actually understanding the application would be worth every cent.

I am planning on mains power with a complementary wind and solar and hydro set up ( running off the irrigation cannal ) about equally for my personal interest in the subject of alternative energy and my desire to leave a small footprint on the planet this would be a good example where the less technical would benefit from paid consultants advise if they wanted to get it right first time, because I am hands on I understand that I will probably make a lot of mistakes and will be tinkering with the system probably forever I understand that if I don't want that if its important to get it right once the first time I should hire someone that understands these things as a project manager.

If your building a small generic Thai style house no swimming pool, no passive cooling design and little consideration to being green then I would agree you just don't need that resource.
developer3d

Return to Your Building Story