First post, considering building in thailand

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

First post, considering building in thailand

Postby 60minuteman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 am

hello forum,

I would love to build in thailand because i would like to live there, i am not looking to make money out of building in thailand, i am looking for a different way of life and im fed up with england. I own a pub/restaurant in england and i will get managers in to run the place so i will have a steady income coming from england, i understand i will have to leave the coutry every 3 months so i will come back to check on stuff in the uk then.

i have a thai girlfriend, one day we might marry, who knows? I have done a lot of reading on the forum and the internet and have devised what i believe is a good plan to minimize my risk, i would love some feedback from the forum members.... IM convinced she loves me but that doesnt mean im going to give her all my money and put everything in her name, i wouldnt do that with a wife in england and im certainly not going to do it in thailand.

i would like to buy some land 2-4 rai, near the coast (obviously not on the beach, im not rich!). I would buy the land in my girlfriends name, chanote land only, and then use usurfruct to sign it into my control. i am keen on the area an hour south of hua hin.

i then plan to build 4 or 5 holiday suites (individual 1 bed, single story cottages) i.e a small resort, and a place for us to live. the plan is to make an eco-resort using insulated shipping containers with solar heated water for the showers and mains electricity. The cost of each unit i estimate being 200,000 baht.

I have not been able to find out much info on planning or how i can check what the restrictions will be on the land im buying, if anyone has any advice on that it would be great.

obviously if it is a business then i cant work or own the business, does that conflict with the usurfruct? this bit is confusing me also?

Im thinking i will get a good lawyer on board from day one, sure it will cost more but buyer beware etc etc......

be interesting to hear your opinions....

here's an example of the eco cabins im going to put on the land
Untitled.jpg
60minuteman

Re: First post, considering building in thailand

Postby jazzman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 am

Hi, and welcome on board. Buyer beware - yes, especially when shopping for lawyers in Thailand!
DSolar hot water sounds a good idea; but PV for electricity for a small installation will take around 30 years to get your money back.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:52 am

hope you do not take offense easily but take a look at the Jazman motel before you turn the place into a scrapyard
ask yourself who is going to come back from thailand with pictures of scrap shipping containers and say hey look this is the resort i stayed in
Its so cheap to build there its not worth looking at the containers and personally i would definately not want to look out of my window and see them even if they had persian carpets and gold fittings inside
sorry but definately not my cup of tea
another build same principal is mangopin faulty hotel ? 4 self contained rooms for long term lets

ps you did invite opinions
jazman has posted at the same time if you click on the motel it might be worth you reading
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby changnoi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi matey welcome to Thailand. We are using these for prisons in New Zeland. I'm with Geordie on this one. Thailand is a beautiful place, why would you want to do this? I would reckon you would get little respect from the locals where you build yet alone what the ladies family and friends will be saying to her about it. You might cause her to loose much face in that community. With materials and labour in Thailand so cheap why not do something really eco friendly. Have a look at places like Fern Resort in Mae Hong Son to name but one of many already established in Thailand.

Just an opinion.

Onwards
changnoi

Postby ningnong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Hello 60minuteman,

we too are hoping to build on our land about an hour south of Hua Hin, hope your containers will not be too close by :lol:. I was thinking of getting a container, but for use as a secure storage area during construction, not to live in!

Even "insulated" don't they get very hot in the Thai sun? If its as eco-friendly as you suggest there will be no air-con, so when the container is closed up (when the guests are out) the interior will get extremely hot. However I could be wrong - let us know how you get on.

Anyone know where/how to obtain an old container and the cost?
ningnong

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."
John Lennon (1940 - 1980)
ningnong

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 pm

ningnong second hand uninsulated 20ft £700 up uk price + delivery be careful they have to have a certificate for shipping to warrant safety so buy just before you leave and maka sure its certified if you need more ask i had a company £1200 for shipping 4 months ago from kingston surrey
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby 60minuteman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 pm

cheers for the replies,

1.i am only considering containers because i thought they would be cheaper than traditional build.

2. when clad they would not look like a container.

3. ceramic insulation would mean better insulation than traditional build methods

4. there is examples in chiang mai already.

5. if i could build in a traditional method and it was cheaper then i will, here is a photo of what i hope the finished rooms would look like....any ideas on best method to build would be great.....

this is 4 units side by side.....whats it going to cost me?
DSCF4573.jpg
60minuteman

Postby changnoi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:59 pm

.....whats it going to cost me?

Hi 60minuteman, I'm no builder however, I did design my own house which is getting built as we speak.

Have a squiz at the pics here http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/index.php?cat=11365

Mine is classified as a "Upper Middle" fitout and its working out to be about Baht 8650/sq metre now that includes cookers lights, painted, tiled you name it.

So if you are having 4 units side by side, i reckon your up for about 80,000-120,000 per unit depending on materials and fitout. Dimesnsions used for containers approx 6m x 2.5m. As the units would be side by side you would share some common components so the overall price should be slightly lower with 4 per block.

My 2 pennith worth based on my current experience. What says you other more knowledgable people.
changnoi

Postby 60minuteman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:56 pm

cheers changnoi, wow like your house!..... well if its that cheap to build i will be going for the best possible finish, they wont need kitchens and the bathrooms will be an outside shower with a covered sink and toilet area, basic polished concrete, bamboo and teak finish but with top end fittings, still amazed so cheap!!!!! thats less than i can buy and transport the containers for.....
60minuteman

Postby juehoe » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:31 am

Using containers could be a good option. But as said from other posters, good additionally shading is absolutely a necessary in Thailand.

Site-Specific is an architectural bureau in Bangkok, who seems to be one of the first, designing real eco-homes for Thailand. Look at their blog: http://asitespecificexperiment.wordpress.com/.

I am considering build an small eco-guest-house near Yasothon and I will check these guys...!
juehoe

Postby dozer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 pm

slight thread clean up removed flamish posts......
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Dear 60minuteman,

A friend of mine in Australia used shipping containers as guest accommodation because his house only had two bedrooms and his married children visited all the time. I helped him instal the first container on a trial run, but during winter it was bitterly cold and in summer stifling hot, to overcome this problem he had me blast out a revetment on the side of his hill, placed the shipping container inside after rust proofing, and then insulated the outside all around it. The whole thing was covered with at least a metre of dirt which solved the top and sides problem, but not the drainage problem or erosion problem. To overcome this the container was dug out again after 12 months, drainage pipes lade, then replaced and a front wall of bricks was built either side to stop the erosion.

The steel front doors were removed and bricked up with a wooden door entrance. It finally worked, but not very well, it was very dark and dismal and a little like living underground in the opal fields.

If your land is not on a hill so the containers can be dug in, then they will be very hot, no matter what you do with insulation.

Good luck, it sounds interesting.

Roger Ramjet
Roger Ramjet

Return to Your Building Story