Faulty Towers, the sequel... Rayong

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Faulty Towers, the sequel... Rayong

Postby MangoPin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:25 am

Hello guys and gals (Gender trained as you can see :D )

Finally decided to put my building story here. It will be a before, during and after story. Be fun to see how it turned out in the end and reading this first post. Now I am in the before stage. I have built one teng-wood house, a swimming pool and halfway through a second tengwood. I don’t really have a story to tell with these builds. However have some pics and I will try to create an album on the forum for them. Any questions are of course welcome.

Here are the prerequisites and plans

After a long idle period without proper funds and with different ideas storming in my head, this summer, on 3 Rai we own, I intend to start building 4 identical apartments, 56 sq.m. with verandas, 32 sq.m., in one two-storey building. If things turn out good, build 8 more in one building later. I will design the house(s) as it seems now.

Purpose
To long term let the apartments to senior, now bored, farangs and to provide them services with a twist while staying. Could contribute to making me and my family survive in Thailand. I believe so. Would be fun also. We will see.

Building philosophy
Limited budget means optimization but not to compromise structural issues and appearance. No over-dimensioning. Yet no deliberate under-dimensioning or cheats, we will be maintaining the buildings and want our tenants to be happy. I am a true amateur and will have to trust my final plans. Surely the most important thing will be the basic quality of the work; concrete mix, vibration and curing, welds, leveling etc. To a great extent I will have to trust CPAC and my builder with this but will be on site full days to check what I can. For electrics and plumbing I will do the lion part myself and I trust myself here although being a CTH trained amateur.

My intended builder,
is a friend and neighbor who built our own thai-style house 13 years ago (before my time) and recently extended it. He will build what I ask him to, with acceptable quality I think, but will have few ideas of his own. He is used to building thai houses for thais, also some big structures, which all seem a bit under-dimensioned but, as with most thai houses, yet none has fallen down (in our parts anyway …)

Material
I will normally get all material. However I will let my builder buy some if this benefits the build. He always gives me the original unaltered receipts and sometimes beats my prices although I now know when someone is trying to overcharge me.

Tools
My builder has most tools. However I intend to invest in a tombola for smaller concrete works and rendering, an optical leveling instrument (about 250 euros), a compactor (global house) and a vibrator as suggested in a recent very interesting post, thank you 3d. I have some machines; table saw, drills etc. that I will avail since their stuff is a bit junky. I don’t care if they get expired at the end of the build.

Basic initial building idea
- 30x30 cm pillars spaced 4 and 3 meters, 12 mm rebar
- Pillar footings 80x80x20 cm 1 meter down, 12 mm rebar
- ground beams 60x30 cm 10 cm below ground, 12 and 16 mm rebar
- use breezeblocks for pillar’s and ground beam interior formwork
- double 7,5 cm breeze block exterior and apt. separating walls, 3 cm rendering, 6 cm spacing for plumbing and electrics. No insulation.
- 7,5 or 10 cm breeze block interior walls, 3 cm rendering.
- 30x30 cm concrete ring beam, rebar 12 mm
- poured ground floor slab, 8 cm, rebar 6mm mesh (3 cm concrete for tiles, thai style)
- first floor 5 cm pre stressed floor slabs with 4 cm slab, rebar 6 mm mesh
- smartboard 1st floor ceiling with a similar suspension system as the common square fiber enforced 60x60 gypsum sheets
- metal roof structure, full gables, material dimensions and design not yet decided
- lightweight composite, asbestos-free composite 120x50 roof sheets, brown, green or red
- foil insulation, possibly also glass or styrofoam above ceiling.
- Big soffit vents and forced, thermostat controlled ventilation fans.

So far so good I guess. I have a lot of spare time at the moment, probably more then many of you out there. Anyway I plan to post my questions in the relevant sections and hopefully get your most valued advice, views and other input. I know there is a load of info already on the forum but sometimes it only answers your questions partly not having the whole picture. If answers would be something like; if I would have to build this sh-t, I would do this,that…. it would be perfect !

Jeez, what a long post. Are you there? Havnt even started to build yet. Promise to improve on this. Three pics below. Background is a pic from the actual plot.

Stay cool
MangoPin

100128_front_small.jpg
Front, concrete roof columns version

100128_front_small.jpg

100128_front_small.jpg
Attachments
100128_interior_small.jpg
Interior
100128_back_small.jpg
Back, metal roof structure version
MangoPin

Re: Faulty Towers, the sequel... Rayong

Postby MangoPin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 am

So I already changed some things after good advice from members; columns and beams are now 25 cm and ceiling height is 2,80 instead of 3 meters.

I did my BOQ in excel. I will post it here and would be happy if it came to use. Please note;
prices are my estimates, cannot be trusted at this point. They may be old or plain wrong. I intend to use the sheet to check how changes in the design impacts on the total. Also to update it as I confirm my own prices, may not be the same that you can get, up or down. Later to put the actual prices paid with dates and supplier.
Blue prices are either known to me or varies so much with special offers that can be used if time permits. Red prices are above 20 000 and probably the ones to work on to get the overall total down.

There are things left out at this point, connections to electricity and water e.g. also using some lump sums. Do not stare yourselves blind at the total, this is a living document and will change surely and before building I will myself confirm all prices.

If you have some prices or can confirm some of mine, please you are more than welcome.

Let me know if you find it useful. Any questions, just ask, humbly trying to pay back a little bit. Hope it works.

MangoPin
Faulty budget.xls
BOQ
(41 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
MangoPin

Postby geordie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:19 am

spreadsheet looks great i just looked at the job as a whole IE: how mutch for one section of wall rendered both sides how long to tile one room how long to hang a door cost of frame door furniture never got anything solid till the bills were paid but suprisingly close to guestimate beginers luck ??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MangoPin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 am

Thanks Geordie for kind words.
Regarding the spreadsheet. I see your point with complete price/time for various subworks. I will not do it this way, and for me its not so interesting. I will have one price for the total labor. This cost could of course change due to unforeseens but what is more uncertain is time for completion. Again, it will take the time required and my builder will not try to drag on with a fixed price. Besides he is a good guy and friend.

The BOQ/Budget serves me a number of purposes. It gives me now an idea on how much it would be and what I can afford. It also gives me input for the construction and how much I could save or loose on design changes. Before starting to spend I intend to have a very detailed and verified BOQ regarding material. Again, what is needed is needed even if I forgot something in the BOQ and I am not afraid to be overcharged.

When the build is finished it will be a very interesting document for me since I intend to make some more builds if this one turns out favourable. I guess members could also benefit.

How about you Geordie, you are very active on the forum, impressed. Seems you, like myself is longing "home". What are your plans?

MangoPin
MangoPin

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 am

If you have the time to keep the spreadsheet as is it would be interesting the bits you forget tend to add up
i thought the reason for me spending so mutch time on here would have been obvious its bloody freezing outside i finish work this week (good) hopefully some nice person will come along and give me lots of money for my house and then i will be on the move the problem is i have a plot of land in uk i am trying to develop but it can take a year to fight your way through the bulls..t and double the cost with goverment must have,s
so may get it and build or get it and sell with the permision to build
ultimately looking forward to getting over there and making myself and wifey a nice home and learning how to relax and enjoy life when its not running at 100+ miles an hour as it has done so far still not 100% where so not in a rush we have a small house?storage facility in BKK we have yet to spend a night in the furniture is now five year old and still unused we stay mums sisters hotel pataya condo pataya hotel cental BKK basically six to eight weeks holiday and bounce all over but enjoy all areas i get the feeling one house is not enough
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to Your Building Story