Building my house in Sattahip

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building my house in Sattahip

Postby fredlk » Tue May 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Today at long last the lower driveway gates were installed. The job is not quite complete and they'll continue in the morning and fit the bolts. It will be locked and bolted from the inside only.

This was the longest and most stressful relationship I've had with a supplier. I had admired his work enclosing a friend's terrace and so I contacted him when the first gate opening was built and asked him to manufacture the gate. This was about 20th December 2012. On 19th July 2013 he arrived with the first gate and installed it. I immediately ordered another 3 and then the driveway gates which were installed 6 months later on 18th January 2014 and on the same day I ordered the gates for the lower driveway. It took 4 months and a few phone calls before he appeared today 27th May 2014. They look good and he's done a good job but it just took so darn long.

And in spite of my detailed instructions, the concrete slab there slopes over the whole length instead of only from the gate into the road so now we have a bit of a gap underneath:
IMG_4043.jpg
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Tue May 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Fred without going back thru all the posts do you now have fully walled site. Next the big question when will the next building begin??
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Tue May 27, 2014 6:06 pm

pattayapope wrote:do you now have fully walled site. Next the big question when will the next building begin??

Yes, all the walls are finished except for a 12 metre gap near the staff house. That is temporarily sealed with shade cloth and blocks.
It will be opened again for building access once we find a real builder, one who wishes to build the other house for a not-too-exorbitant-price.
So your guess as to when that'll be is as good as mine. :lol:
fredlk

Postby kiwimartin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Whew. Thanks Fred. Just spent an intense 3 days reading your thread (instead of working, of course) and I am exhausted. I have learnt so much, made many notes and hope that I will have a quarter of your integrity and tenacity when it comes to my own build. I kept thinking of the Dutch master Piet Mondrian when I came across the careful and restrained colour notes in your home - wonderful.
lozenge-composition-with-red-gray-blue-yellow-and-black-1925.jpg

What shines through most is your humanity - and your willingness to trust, in yourself and others. It's bitten you on the arse a few times - but that obviously wont stop you achieving something quite remarkable in contemporary Thai architecture.
Well done indeed.
kiwimartin

Postby fredlk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 pm

kiwimartin wrote:Just spent an intense 3 days reading your thread

Before I started building I also read quite a few building stories from start to finish. I learnt a lot (understatement) and also made many notes.
Building in Thailand is so very different to the countries I'd previously lived in but the pleasure of being free to build whatever one likes is fantastic.
kiwimartin wrote:I kept thinking of the Dutch master Piet Mondrian when I came across the careful and restrained colour notes in your home - wonderful.

You do have a point there, but that was not my inspiration. Come to think of it I don't really know what my inspiration was. :lol:
kiwimartin wrote: your willingness to trust, in yourself and others. It's bitten you on the arse a few times

The worst thing was not losing some money here and there but the lack of quality in the finishes which bugs me (a little) to this day. It's one of the reasons for being so wary of starting the next house. I know everything was cheap and affordable but I wouldn't mind paying a premium to get it done to a higher standard of finish. Unfortunately I myself am not any good at anything involving manual labour.

I look forward to following your build with the extra challenges you'll be facing building on an island. Good luck.
fredlk

Postby mroll320 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:24 am

Hi, been flicking throught the thead.... very interesting reading, loads of valuable info!

I read somewhere that your actually in the Bang Saray aera? Bang Saray "heights"? in land from sukumvit?

I`ve got a plot down near the village, navy park side of the village about 300m from the sea. I was wondering of you had any recommendations on contactors etc...? Feel free to contact me by email or pm.

Just need a week to get throught the whole thread now!

Martyn
mroll320

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:31 am

mroll320 wrote:I read somewhere that your actually in the Bang Saray aera? Bang Saray "heights"? in land from sukumvit?

Just on the other side of the 332 from Bang Saray. I'm in Sattahip.
mroll320 wrote:I was wondering of you had any recommendations on contactors etc...?

I wish I did. I'm preparing to continue and complete the rest of the build starting hopefully before June this year but have not yet found a contractor.
fredlk

Postby arranp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:47 am

Hi Fred,

I read the cost of the roof including installation was (after several quotes) circa 826 baht per sqm (excluding the steel substructure).

I note you stated not to use stainless steel screws, may I ask what fastner type that was used ?

Also, just to clear up a query in my mind, the colorbond metal, I think was 92% reflective ? I read the following article which gives white tiles a higher rating.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooling/FSECRoofPaperSummary.htm

Can you direct me to the information on reflective levels for the colourbond metal.

Thank you.
Regards
Arran.
arranp

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:55 am

arranp wrote:I note you stated not to use stainless steel screws, may I ask what fastner type that was used ?

It's the KlipLok system. The clips are attached to the roof steel and the roofing sheets are pressed into place on top of the clips.
arranp wrote:Also, just to clear up a query in my mind, the colorbond metal, I think was 92% reflective ? I read the following article which gives white tiles a higher rating.

That's rate of reflectance. Metal retains less heat than tiles so overall white metal is better than white tiles.
arranp wrote:Can you direct me to the information on reflective levels for the colourbond metal.

I can't remember where it was, somewhere online I found with Google.
It gave as material metal as the best for NOT retaining heat and white as the best colour for reflecting heat so I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
fredlk

Postby arranp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:02 am

Thanks,

I'm looking into the use of solar chimney to create air-flow, have you covered these.
arranp

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:11 am

arranp wrote:I'm looking into the use of solar chimney to create air-flow, have you covered these.

No, I use cross ventilation which is more than enough here.
I therefore have no buildup of heat which needs extracting.
Plus the fact that I have vaulted ceilings which were designed so as to contain any excess hot air if it were necessary.
fredlk

Postby arranp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:19 am

are the ceilings vented anywhere?
arranp

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:24 am

arranp wrote:are the ceilings vented anywhere?

No, there is no need.
fredlk

Postby arranp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:45 pm

do you mind me asking the price per cubic mt including of excluding labour.

ive been given 3,100 baht + 500 labour per cubic meter poured.
arranp

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:50 pm

arranp wrote:do you mind me asking the price per cubic mt including of excluding labour.

ive been given 3,100 baht + 500 labour per cubic meter poured.

I haven't the foggiest. Everything I paid is mentioned above as it happened during the build, but I don't have the answer to your question.
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story