Building my house in Sattahip

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building my house in Sattahip

Postby fredlk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:56 pm

fredlk wrote: the blue glass tiles have been reduced in price since I last bought them and 11 tiles now cost me 3,575 Baht.

Silly me. :oops: Nobody had checked the basement where today I discovered another 3 boxes of blue. 3,575 Baht wasted. Not a big deal, but it could have fed the dogs for a month.
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:50 pm

fredlk wrote:
fredlk wrote:
Not a big deal, but it could have fed the dogs for a month.

Those little dogs are eating well.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Those little dogs are eating well.

Not only 2 small dogs, but 1 large one lives here as well.

1 item of fresh pork or chicken per day at 40 to 50 Baht.
1 can of Tesco brand dog food at 28 Baht or Pedigree at 48 Baht per day.
Dry food at various prices, a negligible amount on a daily basis.
The odd can of mackerel at a few Baht and doggy treats as well as doggy sweets.

The bits of people-food don't count because they generally prefer their own menu.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:14 am

fredlk wrote:
fredlk wrote: the blue glass tiles have been reduced in price since I last bought them and 11 tiles now cost me 3,575 Baht.

Silly me. :oops: Nobody had checked the basement where today I discovered another 3 boxes of blue. 3,575 Baht wasted. Not a big deal, but it could have fed the dogs for a month.

Good to go for phase two 8)
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 pm

There's someone here laying the bathroom floor tiles. It might be a bit difficult to read, but the second line of the logo on his shirt is telling.
I hope Mable knows about him and that her name is misspelt:
IMG_5191.JPG

ANGEL STONE
Professional of Mable
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Day 8.
This floor and shower might actually work. There's to be no floor drain here and the entire floor slopes slightly from the door to the shower. Then it drops a further 3 or 4 centimetres:
IMG_5194.jpg

The planters were filled with 50 centimetres of clay on top of the tiles and then 25 centimetres of compost, a 25 centimetre layer of soil, another layer of compost and another layer of soil.
fredlk

Postby payebacs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:53 am

fredlk wrote:The planters were filled with 50 centimetres of clay on top of the tiles and then 25 centimetres of compost, a 25 centimetre layer of soil, another layer of compost and another layer of soil.

Green and red chillies straight away Fred, may as well put those planters to the test :) They are in fact combined bigger than quite a few people's gardens! Enjoy.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby fredlk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:14 am

payebacs wrote:Green and red chillies straight away Fred, may as well put those planters to the test

Those are growing in abundance elsewhere on the land together with various varieties of tomato, aubergine, pumpkin, cucumber, papaya, banana, beans and much much more.
In the planters will go: bright and colourful lower down, tall and shady above with perfumed in between. I leave that to the gardeners to decide. Frangipani, Jasmine, Bougainvilla, Hibiscus, etc.

A few days later and the sticks are in the ground. It's back-breaking work for most likely minimal return on an annual basis. Amazing how a stick in sand becomes a plant after only a few weeks:
IMG_0332.jpg
fredlk

Postby elgato » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 pm

fredlk wrote:This floor and shower might actually work. There's to be no floor drain here

Am I missing something here? No floor drain in the shower?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby payebacs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:07 am

fredlk wrote:A few days later and the sticks are in the ground.

What exactly are those sticks Fred...? sticks of what?
payebacs

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 am

elgato wrote:No floor drain in the shower?

Of course there will be a floor drain in the shower, but the usual Thai practice of having a floor drain in another part of the bathroom floor will not be replicated here.
payebacs wrote:What exactly are those sticks Fred...? sticks of what?

Cassava. The sticks sprout leaves and then, over time, a huge tuber I think it's called. That is then harvested.
fredlk

Postby payebacs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 am

fredlk wrote:Cassava. The sticks sprout leaves and then, over time, a huge tuber I think it's called. That is then harvested.

Does this explain the open well, or was it elsewhere or for some other purpose.
payebacs

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 am

payebacs wrote:
fredlk wrote:Cassava. The sticks sprout leaves and then, over time, a huge tuber I think it's called. That is then harvested.

Does this explain the open well, or was it elsewhere or for some other purpose.

The wells - I found 2 - are on 2 different plots in 2 different developments. They are not used for the cassava as this is planted by itinerant farmers using the vacant land while they can and it is watered solely by the rain. The wells were most probably dug by the owners of the land for future use when building. There is no city supply of water up here yet and so they are planning for the future. The huge underground sewers that are in the rest of the city are slowly making their way up the hill along the main road and are now only about 1.5 kilometres away.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:01 pm

payebacs wrote:may as well put those planters to the test

We've planted the first cash crop, Jack Russells:
IMG_5200.JPG

After today's half-month payday, Pet and Nong informed us that they are leaving to go work in an ice-factory in Pattaya. I wish them well and I hope it's what they want, but I think they're making a mistake.
I have a feeling that she was missing a social life here and sees working in a factory as a step in the right direction. They can't be earning more or working less hours, on the contrary.

The recruitment agent in Phnom Phrai is already busy looking for suitable replacements. :)

Tomorrow the workers will be back to continue tiling the guest-bathroom.
fredlk

Postby payebacs » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:28 am

An ice factory doesn't sound like huge fun but I suppose it'll be towards the weekends and so forth that they'll be most looking forward. Hopefully your next recruits will be more sure of what they want from life. Hard to tell I suppose because most people'll say anything to get a job whereafter next thing you know after a few months they'll be wanting to move on too. Perhaps it would be best specified mostly suitable for unattached familywise types. I would've said get an older couple but as I don't know the thais at all well maybe the inverse is actually true! ie. maybe you'd be better off getting a young couple planning on having a child.??
payebacs

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story