Building my house in Sattahip

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:38 am

This is my first post here and I have far to go, but I first want to thank you all at Coolthaihouse for all the information and for a lot of the knowledge I now (think I) have about building in Thailand. I’m in my 50’s and retired. I have been coming to Thailand since 1990 and I have been living here permanently since 2005.

After mostly living in Bangkok, but missing the sea and the sea-air I decided to look for land on the eastern seaboard. After a couple of months of research and viewings I found 486 Talang Wah (2,080 square meters) of reposessed land on a hill in Bang Saray, Sattahip with views of the mountains and the coast all the way up to Jomtien and Pattaya.

I put together a basic floor plan and design of what I wanted and then met with a few architects. I signed the contract with a guy called Fluke, recommended here by Thaimic. 6 months later we have a completed design. It is now being adjusted very slightly, worked out and detailed. This version is from before the final adjustments.

Fred.
Attachments
houseplan_rev copy.jpg
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:44 am

After some more tweaks, this is the final version although here too are some small adjustments to be made before the specifications are ready. The building is quite a bit larger than originally intended, but I don’t want to compromise what I think is a good-looking whole and so it will be built in stages ..... due to cash flow. :oops: :-)
Attachments
p_in_3d_rev6_10_resize.jpg
p_in_3d_rev6_7_resize.jpg
p_in_3d_rev6_12_resize.jpg
p_in_3d_rev6_8_resize.jpg
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:46 am

The sloping property will be split into 3. The house will be on a concrete plateau and then after a drop of 2 metres comes garden part 1. Then a drop of another 1 to 1.5 metres for garden part 2. The land was cleared of all vegetation and a survey was done. So far 200 truck loads of earth and clay have been deposited and levelled.

The architect has proven knowledgable and helpful in organising everything thus far and so I have now employed him as project manager for the build.

The next step is to start with the (retaining-)walls and a start on the foundations will be made in about March. Before that we still have to find water which according to the nearby neighbours is in plentiful supply and of good quality.
Attachments
IMG_0906.JPG
fredlk

Re: Building my house in Sattahip

Postby thaifly » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:18 pm

fredlk wrote:The sloping property will be split into 3. The house will be on a concrete plateau and then after a drop of 2 metres comes garden part 1. Then a drop of another 1 to 1.5 metres for garden part 2.

ITS A GIDDAY TO FRED...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM..if u get it right ..split levels are a bonus or BO DEREK.. :D :D .nice size of dirt also...looks a eye catching build.. :D :D .just a curiosty question :? ..what is a concrete plateau :?: :?: keep putting up the pics and reports as u progress...very interesting project :D ..and the very best of luck :D ..its a JOSE MOURNHINO..MAN CITY.MNGR..2010 GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 pm

thaifly wrote:just a curiosty question :? ..what is a concrete plateau :?: :?:

Thanks for the good wishes. What I meant by a concrete plateau is a concrete slab, raised above the level of the surrounding ground. I hope that's made it clearer.

Fred.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:20 pm

The last of in total 230 truckloads of earth.
Attachments
SDC13225_resize.JPG
SDC13240_resize.JPG
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:09 am

I have just heard from the Thai family that the most auspicious day for the Blessing of the first post is Friday 26th February so watch this space.

Before then the boq must be done and a builder found. A permit has to be obtained, but that should be a piece of cake if we maybe include a little gift to speed things along. We have some contacts with builders, but no contracts as yet. I am leaning towards a labour-only contract and that I (together with the architect / project manager) source and purchase materials. Electricity has to be strung along 140 metres from the nearest road and then the last 5 metres under the road to the house. A borehole has to be put in.

Clearing the land of trees and some rubble I let a neighbour do so that the locals will be more willing to accept me into their little community. That cost 3,500 Baht. The survey by a registered surveyor cost 15,000 Baht. The survey was done on 2 separate occasions - before and after - to establish the amount of fill needed as well as to establish the positions and levels of the garden.

When looking for the soil to fill the plot, the cheapest quote was 900 Baht per 10-wheeled truck. The next was 1,150 baht per truck with a guarantee of no stones included. It also included a bulldozer with driver to do the leveling. We went with that one so on soil alone I spent a terrifying 264,500 Baht. The filling and leveling took 4 days.

Part of the design brief was a 'cool' house. So the roofs will be in white Colorbond and the eaves come out far enough to keep the sun off the walls for almost the entire day. The walls will be white and the window frames white aluminium. The ponds and infinity-edge pool should help to keep cooler air flowing through the openings between the buildings. The front of the house is facing north-west.

Fred.
Attachments
SDC12765_resize.JPG
fredlk

Postby thaifly » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:01 am

fredlk wrote:Thanks for the good wishes. What I meant by a concrete plateau is a concrete slab, raised above the level of the surrounding ground. I hope that's made it clearer.

its a gidday.. fred ...its the thai fly from mae rim...GOTCHA on the above...keep the posts flowing..contents and your narratives ... ARE SUPERB.. :D :D ..just a point of interest..it goes without saying...that up to... a three to one..return on your money..spent on GOOD landscaping..can be obtained.. :D so your dirt fill..may well turned out to be a good investment :?: :?: :D :D .. and .. doing a bore early in your project is a very wise move..in fact imperative...many leave it to last.. and then encounter unforseen problems....ITS A LOOKOUT FOR THE BIG FOUR ..E.P.L ITS A MAN/CITY GIDDAY TO ALLits the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby fredlk » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:30 am

thaifly wrote:.. doing a bore early in your project is a very wise move..

I have in fact a specific position I want it to go in and so I was not happy when told that the water diviner would find the perfect place. Okay so I have a garage / parking area of about 20 metres by 6 to play with, but I prefer to keep it as far away as possible from the road and future neighbours to either side.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 pm

One month on and things are moving slowly. In order to jump start the project, plans for the retaining-walls were submitted to the land office, separate from the main build of the houses and boundary walls. They then said that a signature of approval would not be given for a wall built from brick with concrete footings and only a structure built entirely from reinforced concrete would get their approval. The slope is I think only 5%, but who am I to argue with officialdom.
So the furthest down of the 4 retaining-walls will be built in this way so as to get the permits and later, as the houses are being built, the remainder will be built from a combination of concrete and brick.
Because the approved concrete wall forms part of the boundary, another 2.5 or 2.6 metres of brick will later be added.
Attachments
approved.jpg
not approved.jpg
fredlk

Postby thaifly » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:11 pm

its a gidday to freddy..its the thai fly from mae rim..well cobber...it sure appears..from my point of view .. you have hit a snag . building your retaining walls .but having engaged A THAI.. project manager /architect/.builder...they have found..PLAN B .. seems good to the fly...they know the local traps better then... any expensive....western project manager/architect/ builder..... your decision to have... a ALL THAI TEAM.....will be vindicated ..in the tough days... that lay ahead for you.. .stay focused..and keep this D.I.Y. building story going ...warts and all...sure beats.. these so called... farung .. consultants/builders.... commercial members ...building storys...that have appeared lately. on C.T.H. .which are straight out... of disney land stuff ..where nothing goes wrong.. and they know it all ............its a go and get it... FREDDY ...GIDDAY TO ALL.....ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:55 pm

thaifly wrote:...they know the local traps better then... any expensive....western project manager/architect/ builder.....
...building storys...that have appeared lately. on C.T.H. .which are straight out... of disney land stuff ..where nothing goes wrong..

Hi and welcome back. With all the negotiations with Land Office and the like, I'm keeping a low profile. I prefer to keep out of the way and out of sight. I'm also no expert in the building trade and so I leave that too to the professionals. I hope things will go smoothly, but there'll most probably be more problems along the way. It all makes for interesting reading. In the end it will be - fingers crossed - just another fairy-tale with a happy ending. :-)
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 pm

The builder (with alleged connections to the land office :wink: ) has been contracted for a 32 metre section of the retaining walls.
I forgot to add earlier that his high price, even by the standards of Pattaya and environs, is because he has to supply his own power and water. We have no utilities as yet on site.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:09 am

all thai builders have conections in the land office even if they do not know where it is
fredlk wrote:The builder (with alleged connections to the land office :wink: ) has been contracted for a 32 metre section of the retaining walls.
I forgot to add earlier that his high price, even by the standards of Pattaya and environs, is because he has to supply his own power and water. We have no utilities as yet on site.

a pair of boltcroppers to cut the rebar and water to mix cement??? and he is overcharging you

the plan and the plot look great look forward to following your build good luck
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:13 am

geordie wrote:... he is overcharging you ..

I agree to a certain extent, but I had little choice but to take him up on his 'offer'. I am satisfied with this compromise.
geordie wrote:the plan and the plot look great look forward to following your build good luck

Thanks. I hope it is going to be straight forward but I doubt it. I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. :lol:
fredlk

Next

Return to Your Building Story