Mae On Country Home

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Mae On Country Home

Postby pattayapope » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Robert we had mini Hurican yesterday complete with hail stones, many trees down and just finished fixing the cpac roof on one of the bungalows. Ours was about 3 in the afternoon and a friend 5 klms away only had heavy rain[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:39 pm

The pond looks great.Will you put fish in it? and if so do you have to put a filter in it .
Jim

Postby robertkc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Jim wrote:The pond looks great.Will you put fish in it? and if so do you have to put a filter in it .

Mozzie larva eating fish, yes - no Koi though as I want lotus, marginals & floating plants ( judging by past experience we are certified Koi-killers anyway!).No filter necessary - lots of oxgen & fresh water will be going in via the fountains. First we have to fix the leak in the big pond :( - most likely around the big Sala posts -it dropped by 30cm overnight while the upper pond lost only 2cm... our contractor`s no leak "guarantee" will now be tested.
robertkc

Postby runker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:15 am

Looked like a pretty nice skate park until you started filling it with water.
runker

Postby Sunpax » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Hello Roger..

How is your wood parket until now...is it moving ? is it glu on the concrete ?

and can you tell me if you remember how long does it take to do it ? aprox on 10 m2 by exemple..

I see yours is tek !!! is it very expensive...for the wood ? the work ?

Thanks a lot :)
Sunpax

Postby robertkc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:15 pm

I think I answered most of the parquet questions before: “Sunpax: our parquet cost is 540b/m2 for the wood + 250b/m2 for install. We could have almost halved the wood price if we`d chosen the very small kind the builder wanted to use.”
Yes, its glued to a concrete slab... pics back in the thread. As for install time the contractor took over a month , but that`s with waits between stages & I really don`t remember well enough to give an answer that would be useful for budget on day labour- ours was an all-in deal.
I like the look and feel of the floor and wouldn`t change from parquet but we do have some areas in the lr where the finish has bubbled due to moisture levels in the wood ( the teak is not old wood- came from a plantation grown for the purpose and obviously not completely dry when laid- parquet installer wants to redo the whole floor finish in the room which seems excessive to me).
The concrete pond leak has been (mostly) fixed: Sala post stones removed & rendered again with admix plus a thick coat of the Lanko.
cp9i.jpg
cp9j.jpg

Fountain topup from the well takes an hour or so daily which is ok as it should keep the water from stagnation- and the feel is certainly of something cooling happening- also not disappointed with the reflections of the house in pond which I`ve been waiting to see for a long time.
cp9k.jpg
cp9m.jpg
Long term I may do something more to seal the deck wall
cp9n.jpg
– we used waterproofing in the mix when applying the stones & I`ve sprayed with a clear sealer, but its not a complete seal ... is there a clear flexible sealer out there ( ie able to bridge small cracks) anyone has tried with success? Really don`t want to cover the stony look.
Pond planting just begun...all in submerged tubs which are easy to secure with bricks & move for correct depth.
cp9g1.jpg

Just a trickle of overflow between upper & lower ponds ( gravel at the falls stops the mozzie fish from all heading to the lower pond). With planting to cover the edge in time the shape will still be there but some of the ugly concrete pond look softened.
The overflow stream is next & several layers of plastic already tied in to the concrete lip.
cp9l.jpg
robertkc

Postby robertkc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 pm

strm2.jpg
Irrigation pipes run under the stream .Lights on the new bridge.
g9a1.jpg
My homemade gate mosaic getting the once over; it started life as a garbage can lid
g9b1.jpg
and was done with bits of leftover/broken tile from our house, some friends` donations & shells from Canada.
g9c.jpg
g9e.jpg
My wife says I have to explain the picture to people – I know its a little quirky, & don`t mind if folks are puzzled . Our 3 year old didn`t seem to need any clues, though he pointed out the lack of adequate parking up at the house.
Note the driveway peanut plants have already grown in & ready for a trim.
dwy9z.jpg
I hated these concrete grass pavers when they were in vogue in Canada back in the 80`s - with a short growing season and any foot/vehicle traffic the plants rarely grew in to make them a safe walking surface... and they were a bugger for snow clearing. Here they seem to be a good cheap porous paving solution.
robertkc

Postby Sunpax » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanck you very much Robert...its a very good price for teak Wood !!!

in home pro they want 800 min. for laminate + if i rembember well 400 for work !

And again i love your house ; very beautiful...the pond around is original and very exotique ! match the house perfectly...
remember me the Grand hyatt in Bali ! with Koi fish !
Sunpax

Postby svendiederik » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:19 pm

Wow man What a great story, what a beautiful house and garden. It really makes me want to start on my own build. I was going to go for a modernistic style but you may have totally changed my mind. The pond around the house, the deck, the mountain view … mmm. I have 4 ray in Saraphi, a bit closer to the city but man am i jealous of your views. I am flabbergasted by the beauty of it all. Great work. Please do keep us posted.
svendiederik

Postby robertkc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks for that, Svendiederik - we lived in Saraphi before ( miss the sound of the trains going through!) in a Lamyai orchard... I`d probably have gone for a two story house if we had built there, and a much more enclosed style of garden. The design of this house was very enjoyable for me; like most people who design their houses here, I have no architectural experience whatsoever. I picked a style which both the wife & I liked from our travels & thumbing through a few books. The layered roof idea/multiple buildings seemed to fit well with the mountain backdrop and our liking for lots of outdoor spaces. I have no great feel for modern architecture so I don`t think I could have pulled off a more daring design; but trusting my own abilities, not hiring an architect to design our house and following through to completion has certainly been a very satisfying experience. To be honest, while designing I also had resale in the back of my mind and wanted to put our once in a lifetime $$ into something that would be easily marketable in this country if push comes to shove and we move at some point in the future.

The first six months at the house are up and its been non-stop; in many ways harder work than the actual build. We did not wait for the builder to fix anything; I`d had enough of excuses and no-shows anyway, so plumbing issues, render cracks ( had lots & used this
cf.jpg
flexible filler which has held up well), unfinished painting, window & door refitting, parquet floor moisture etc etc we handled and paid for ourselves. We are still on good terms with Khun Saman, but he got no bonus ( all the full term Thai Yai workers were given a fat envelope).
The biggest problem we`ve had on the house was this
bin9f.jpg

introduction of woodbugs in the builtin furniture. The contractor used poor wood on the internal bracing on every piece he built . The bugs began to surface after 3 months. We were both really pissed as he`d been recommended by a family friend and we`d treated him extremely well during the install. I guess we dropped the ball in hindsight – not watching closely enough & not insisting all wood be treated with Chaindrite . The guy has been back twice and taken apart/ replaced all visibly infested wood... hard to believe there`s not more grief to come on this.
The best addition we`ve made since moving in has been these concertina style screen doors on our front door & l/r deck doors;
scrn6.jpg
the ( expensive) wood grain frames makes them a nice match and we can keep the airflow going bugfree `til late in the evening ( a lifesaver back in the heat of April/May).
Catching up on landscaping progress – the irrigation system is done. 850M pipe & all heads I installed myself.
spr3.jpg
Getting the pipe buried in the hard ground was brutal in the heat of April- surprisingly no leaks.
spr7.jpg
spr8.jpg
spr9.jpg
Head -to -head coverage for just about the whole property. Mix of the Naan sprinklers with some gear driven Rainbird heads I saved from a renovated sportsfield.
robertkc

Postby robertkc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 pm

spr5.jpg
spr6.jpg
Pump is 4 hp Saer/ 3” filter for the pond water supply & Nelson controller. Our pump guy did the valves / el. connections .
spr4.jpg
Note the heat bent pipe to make one awkward connection – who needs proper slipfit couplers! No idea why we need all the additional electronic stuff in the control box. I`ll redo all the taped valve box el. connections with waterproof ones as soon as I find some.
The real work on our garden is mostly hidden & dull: I had enough of paying locals to slash down our grass/weeds every 6 weeks last year with brushcutters, so our trusty garden helper Sak has spent weeks picking rocks & levelling. I now mow the entire 5 rais with a 21” self propelled Honda powered Chinese mower ( a 4-5 hr stroll) . Gonna modify the drive wheels to make them grippier, otherwise its a good frog mulcher. We turfed about 400m2, the rest is just cut what grows high & often. I`ll never go back to the Thai method of scalping grass infrequently with a brushcutter/ 2 wheel mower. The all natural local grass looks great /will never need fertiliser. My sometimes dreams of a rideon will stay just that while I`m healthy enough to walk.
The middle pond recieved a pvc liner 6 weeks ago -40ml thick ( basically the same material as a tarp) & made to measure / 40b per m2 from SCV Plastics.
ppl6.jpg
Having cleaned up stones & cut the shelf ready it took the wife & I about an hour to lay the 22m x14m liner out.
ppl7.jpg
ppl9.jpg

Shelf covered with soil for protection & planting.
ppl9a.jpg
Filled, & planted up, less than 3 weeks later it looks quite natural and does not leak. Lots of mozzie fish already breeding.
robertkc

Postby runker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 am

Looking very nice Robert. Not sure if I could push a mower over 5 rai but I'm with you on keeping it cut often and I'm sure it is good exercise.
runker

Postby robertkc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks Runker- mower is selfpropelled so no pushing. I could just about afford a Chinese rideon, but not being all that gifted mechanically and finding the local mower shop guys very limited on experience with anything other than 2 stroke brushcutters, I`d probably end up sending it into the big pond to die in short order. The Huskys et al are way out of my league. Still, willing to hear from anyone who has a line on a reliable 30" high wheel self propelled mower with a reasonable pricetag and parts available in Thailand.
So with all that work behind us, and the place given a going over,
pty.jpg
pty2b.jpg
pty2a.jpg
what else to do but have the House Party ( if you`ve had one you know this means alot more work). The craziness ( why do we need a dozen women cooking & making a mess of the just cleaned house all day for the 4 guys who take exactly 30 minutes to put up 3 tents?) of the days leading up would be very high on my list of “never again” life experiences, but the day itself was fine – my wife has made herself a good reputation in the village & just about everyone showed up.
pty2.jpg
pty3.jpg
pty5.jpg
pty4.jpg
robertkc

Postby robertkc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:39 am

Weather lovely & most people done drinking & gone by 4pm. Where else can you have a catered party for 150 with basically free tent/table & chair supply & monks to write spells above your doors for under $1000?
pty9.jpg
pty7.jpg
Thanks to Ken & Bill for for the fish & plants ...
pty8.jpg
other gifts are less easy to place. So that`s a wrap...
pty6.jpg
gates will be locked during my recovery as I spend time with constant companions.
frogs3.jpg
I may post again if we renovate/line the big pond next year.
robertkc

Postby Ians » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:11 am

Enjoy the rest, you have earnt it and have built a fantastic house / home.
Gets my vote as the best build in CTH.
Ians

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story