Mae On Country Home

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Mae On Country Home

Postby sunliner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 am

hi robert, sunliner is the name,reading building storys is my game

robert, your building story is so refreshing to read, no bloody drivel, :D
you have jumped all the hurdles, that has been placed in front of you with pride and dignity :D

certainly your story will be of immense value to future members and guests, who intend to do a build in thailand

you have proven that with a good detailed plan and commonsense, plus a number of other important factors, a sucessful build is indeed , possible at all times , in thailand

have read the majority of b/storys on the board, and for sure the golden oldies which incidently laid the foundation of this wonderful website , are with no doubt in my mind, up with yours, no drivel, hit snags dealt with it, no finger pointing etc etc they took on the responsibilty of building here head on , fair and square :D

robert , to you and your wife , and family, well done ,enjoy your beautiful abode :D
sunliner

Postby robertkc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for the positive comments; if the forest fires burning tonight on three sides of our place allow,
ff2.jpg
we`ll continue aboding happily here and hope never to be quite finished with the making of it.
dwy9s1.jpg

Drainage has been checked and rubble moved to make a base for another ramp down into the garden ( maybe I should be honest and say its a runaway lane for someone who likes testing the limits of the driveway curve ).
dwy9t.jpg
Planting underway... can`t wait to drive over the flowers :D .
robertkc

Postby MGV12 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:51 am

<Discussion on burning got too much off-topic and has been moved to viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3190 - mod>

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby kidcordrey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:01 am

Dad,

Wow!
You told me you were building a house not a bloddy mansion!!
It looks amazing, that driveway is awesome.....a nice high speed sweeper for when i visit on a motorcycle. Once all the earth around the "compound" is green with vegetaion it will lokk all the more special.
Happy belated birthday too!
chris
kidcordrey

Postby robertkc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Looks like we`d better add some speed bumps before you arrive, Chris... the house is as much a "mansion" as Fawlty Towers was a hotel :lol:
Thanks to mods for sending the burn topic to flame elsewhere.
robertkc

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:41 pm

robertkc wrote:Looks like we`d better add some speed bumps before you arrive, Chris... the house is as much a "mansion" as Fawlty Towers was a hotel :lol:
Thanks to mods for sending the burn topic to flame elsewhere.

I am pleased they did as well Robert MGv12 was on the ball yours is such a good example it was sad to see a load on the end don,t worry about speed humps and ruin the drive chuck a few buckets of pea shingle on the top to stop your mate rally driving :roll: :roll: sweeps off easily
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sunliner » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:58 pm

robertkc wrote:Thanks to mods for sending the burn topic to flame elsewhere.

hi robert,
my appologies to you,
my initial post replying to your line and pic, the sunliner requested perhaps it was a good move to take, it came, but just a little to late

again except my appologies :D
sunliner

Postby robertkc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Landscaping update: the driveway planting took some diligent watering & mulch to get established & the young peanut plants were not able to handle all the dumptruck traffic ( & puppy attention – we have two
dwy9v.jpg
milo2.jpg
... goodbye to a few shoes) , so the lateral stripes have now had grass added.
dwy9x.jpg
dwy9y.jpg
A few people have commented that our driveway is too narrow; I see them driving up slowly trying not to touch the planted sides ( with those its a perfectly adequate 3.5m ) and am pleased.
The upper pond around our deck has been concreted. A real learning curve on ponding in the tropics has convinced me that the powdered/granular Bentonite does not work well unless water levels don`t fluctuate much after filling....and that gets expensive on the pumping side while waiting for the stuff to swell and seal- we tried it twice ( my wife knows exactly how much those failures cost :? ) and the only way I`d use it again would be in the form of a GCL mat, which can be had in Thailand for a mere 160b/m2. I also tried lining the ponds with the thickest plastic I was able to source in CM – at 20mil even though I was able to seam it well using foil & the wife`s iron, its just way too thin and sealing around all the structural stuff is difficult – another unfulfilling experience. I now have lots of plastic to line the stream. And we have a huge concrete pond –
cp4.jpg
cp5.jpg
all done by handmix ( same excellent crew who laid our driveway)
robertkc

Postby robertkc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:15 pm

cp7.jpg
cp9.jpg
cp9a.jpg
cp9b.jpg
10cm bottom/5cm sides , double wire reinforced, rendered ( all with waterproofing additive) & topped off with a rolled on coat of Lanko 228 waterproofing mortar. Nearly painted the whole thing with the same epoxy MGV12 used on his Koi pond but it was more expensive than the Lanko & the light blue way too Man. City :lol: . 10 days work – approx 400m2/ 98,000b complete.
The same guys built a bridge using stone to match the deck surround
brg2.jpg
brg4.jpg
brg6.jpg
robertkc

Postby robertkc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 pm

brg7.jpg
brg8.jpg
Lights to follow. This crew is also helping with the irrigation trenching– 800m of 2” pvc with 8 zones & 46 sprinklers covering the 5 rais. I`m using pvc simply from familiarity – each head has a basic swing joint for adjustments.
spr.jpg
spr2.jpg
robertkc

Postby geordie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Wow that some add on what will you do with the other ponds ???
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:43 am

robertkc,
Now that is what I call a bridge. Great work.
Roger Ramjet

Postby elgato » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:22 am

Very nice bridge!
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby robertkc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:29 pm

geordie wrote:Wow that some add on what will you do with the other ponds ???

Funny you should ask that; perhaps I chose the wrong moment to tell my wife I`m planning to line this cracked hole in the ground
pl9a.jpg
with a double layer of the 20mil plastic... the prospect of more landscape endeavors in the immediate future was not met with enthusiasm. :( Oh well, not everyone thrives on the madness of gardening, so this & the big pond which is down 2m will stay " natural" & I`ll bide my time; I expect when the new pond ( which is not an add-on! Always part of the original house design) is lotusy & beautiful the landscaping ban will be lifted.
cp9e.jpg
cp9f.jpg
cp9g.jpg
8 hours on the bore pump & about half full.
A storm note – big winds out here last night blew down one of our Jacarandas and considerably shortened the grass garden shack.
stm.jpg
It was a bit scary really & I see Noy is making a visit to our new Spirit House this morning to give thanks ?...
sh.jpg
stm2.jpg
the tree is easily righted & the only other damage is to some of the Kton window hardware; these are great as I`ve said before... but on the tall windows where there`s no access from the outside to help close windows in big winds ( our office over the pond), they were a bad choice.
robertkc

Postby robertkc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38 pm

kton4.jpg
kton5.jpg
With strong wind pressure on the windows I cannot close our 180cm tall wooden windows without risking bending the steel handles. Luckily no glass broken, but several Ktons are now damaged & I`m going to replace them with a standard opener. It would be good to find an online CM weather forecast that reliably predicts high winds...before & during the howling out here last night I could only find readings like “ winds to 5km/h” for CM airport.
robertkc

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story