Small Thai Family House in Phayao

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Small Thai Family House in Phayao

Postby DrDave » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 am

Well, construction is about 99% complete now, so I guess its time to post our story here.

A little background: My wife and I split our time between our homes in Phuket, and California. We have a teenage daughter who prefers to live with family in Phayao, and currently lives with my wife's sister and brother in a small hovel on a family plot of about 2 rai. Since our daughter wants to remain in Phayao, we decided to build a new, modest house on the family plot for her and her aunt (wife's sister) to live in.

We had a very limited budget for the house - about 400,000 baht. The house I designed is a small, but comfortable home with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, large kitchen, and living/dining area. There's also a large covered porch at the front of the house, and a poured concrete slab all around the exterior.

The design goal was to build something as large as possible, for the least amount of money, which will be comfortable for our Thai daughter and her aunt, as well as for us when we visit. This means a semi-western style house (western-style bathroom, and an inside Thai kitchen with refrigerator, sink and built-in cooktop, aluminum windows and screens, and living areas with some real furniture). One thing I had to restrain myself on was making the house "too western". There's really no use in adding some western amenities such as wall cupboards in the kitchen, as our daughter and her aunt simply wouldn't use them.

PhayaoHouseFloorplan1.jpg
Floorplan

The design uses standard 20cm columns, typically on 3.5 and 4.0 meter centers. The floor is raised about 50cm above the existing ground level, but instead of using pre-cast concrete floor panels, we simply used raised beams, and filled in the floor area (and the perimeter around the house) with fill dirt.

Laughably, I used PowerPoint to do all of the design drawings (floorplan, foundation, elevations, electrical, plumbing, and roof structure). Easy to do, and there was enough detail that the builder could actually build the house without a real blueprint. Speaking of the builder, we got several quotes: one from the brother-in-law of one of my wife's friends (about 30km away), and two from local friends of my wife's brother. All were relatively close in price, but in order to avoid any under the table monkey business between family members and the builder, we chose the one that the rest of the family didn't know. All of the laborers were hired and paid by the builder. No family members worked on the construction.

For most of the build, we were not onsite - we were home in Phuket. Immediately after selecting the builder, we placed an initial order for structural materials. (Our builder preferred that we handle the procurement of all materials, which is what we preferred as well). Construction started in 2 days, and beyond that initial order, my wife established contacts with several local building supply shops, and was able to place orders over the phone for immediate delivery whenever materials were needed. (We have some trust issues with my wife's brothers who live in the area, so rather than ask them to handle the purchase of materials, we did it ourselves via the phone and electronic bank payments).

I'm amazed at how quickly the construction progressed. They started on 6 March, and the builder actually wanted to finish before Songkran (13 April). He came fairly close to meeting that goal - with the only remaining work being tiling the floors, installing the gypsum ceiling and the installation of windows and plumbing fixtures. So that's about 5 weeks for bringing the house to about 85% completion.

In the end, we came in at about 7% over budget. If we had been onsite during the construction, we could have possibly controlled costs a little better, but I'm happy with what we got for what we spent. Enclosed living area of 68 sqm for a cost of 6,300/sqm. Add in the size of the covered porch and perimeter concrete, and the cost/sqm is significantly less.

For those that are interested, here's an Excel spreadsheet that lists all of the building materials and their cost:

PhayaoHouseActualCostSummary.xls
Spreadsheet of Material Costs
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 642 times

I'll be posting some photos of the construction shortly.
DrDave

Re: Small Thai Family House in Phayao

Postby DrDave » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:11 am

Construction Pictures
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=91

Apologies in advance for the quality of pictures - since we weren't onsite for most of the construction, we were relying on family members to document progress.
DrDave

Postby geordie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:54 am

well done on your build obviosly a good choice of builder to do it in good time do not worry too mutch about the pictures at least you have yours some thieving scroat nicked my wifes camera with all my efforts on it kind of puts a damper on the achievment then some suspicion on the finances still have not finished the build story but have trust issues the same as yourselt which meant 5 weeks on site every day to stop the cash being squandered
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby dozer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:03 pm

I like the format of your excel price sheet, with percentage breakdowns. Be sure to post finished pics once the project is wrapped up......
dozer
Site Admin

Postby thaifly » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 am

GIDDAY DOC...its the thai fly from mae rim.....nice work matey...and great spread sheet provided as well...and a real jassy price to go with it...if my memory serves me correctly..i gave a ball park figure of 6.000. baht a sq metre for the build ..some time back..so thai fly was on the money...well done...again...its a M/U. GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby DrDave » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 am

thaifly wrote:...if my memory serves me correctly..i gave a ball park figure of 6.000. baht a sq metre for the build ..some time back..so thai fly was on the money...well done...again...its a M/U. GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM

Correct you were, thaifly! Not too difficult to keep the price at/under 6K/m2. We did need to cut/delay a few finish items in order to stay on budget (water tank and pump, and extractor hood for the kitchen), but that only amounted to about 15K in total, and we can add these later.

The build is now complete, although I don't have pictures of the completed house (we're back in the US now, doing our "time" for MrsDave's citizenship eligibility). Hoping to get some final pics from the family (doubtful), or possibly I may need to make a quick trip back to Thailand to take care of some other real estate issues, and might be able to get up to Phayao for a few days. Will post final pics if/when I get them.
DrDave

Postby jazzman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks for providing all that excellent information DrDave.

It proves that most of the members here are pretty much on the ball with costs by now, and that anyone who contends he/she can build a luxury home for 2,500/m2 has been clearly misinformed.
It also proves the necessity of allowing a contingeny sum on the budget. 10% would have been about right for this project. 15 - 20% is required for more luxury projects.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Mon May 11, 2009 11:47 am

jazzman wrote:It proves that most of the members here are pretty much on the ball with costs by now, and that anyone who contends he/she can build a luxury home for 2,500/m2 has been clearly misinformed.

its a gidday to all its the thai fly from mae rim...as for the above..HOW TRUE....and after perusing the docs excellent spread sheet on my return from OZ... his figures stack up BIG TIME.. the thaifly was particularly interested in DOCS...labour component...of 29%..in relation to total cost of the build...which represented approx 1800 BAHT PER SQ metre for the single floor build....a very fair figure for a modest ..but from the pics a nice job done by your builder...this labour price...of 1800..BAHT.. A SQ METRE.... should silence a particular well known member who i might add has been a great source of information to C.T.H. ... the past couple years..that his price of 1600 to 1900 baht a sq metre for labour...to build a two floor build of 250 sq metres...is indeed a mission impossible...taking into account..THE DOCS...nuts and bolts summary of his build...the thaifly doffs his hat to you doc...for a fair dinkum..spread sheet...best price information that the thaifly has seen anywhere...and every member..would well be advised..to have a captain cook at the docs thread...ITS ALL KUDOS TO THE DOC GIDDAY TO ALL ...ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Nakhonsri » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Time to dust off this project again. I am about to embark upon a similar project ie. the construction of a caretaker's bungalow alongside a principal house that needs to be renovated to become our long weekend holiday destination halfway between Bangkok and Nakhonsri. Since it won't be occupied full time, we feel the need to have someone 'on-site' to ensure the safety of the principal house.
Plans have been submitted (not dissimilar to Phayao project) and a builder has expressed interest @ approx THB400,000. The building is 8.00m X 8.00m. I will use the spreadsheet as a guide to the detailed quote when submitted. Phayao is one of the cheapest labour markets, and I will make allowances for costs in southern Prachuap Kiri Khan. I hope it turns out as satisfactory as this project, but I am a little apprehensive. Start will probably not happen until the end of March, but that is not far away. I will follow up this primary construction with some renovation on the main house which will initially comprise demolition of Thai bathrooms, roof and walls, and the installation of two western bathrooms and a laundry.
I will keep everyone posted.
Nakhonsri

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

[quote="Nakhonsri"] approx THB400,000. The building is 8.00m X 8.00m.[quote]

That includes ALL labour and ALL materials I presume for 400k?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Nakhonsri » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Correct. The labour cost from a couple of sources is around THB 1800 per m2 in that area for a slab on the ground. That is about the same as the Phayao experience. Have not yet negotiated on the form of contract, whether all in including materials or labour plus buy our own. Contact thus far has been quite preliminary and Thai/Thai. It could become more difficult when the farang appears on the scene.
Nakhonsri

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Nakhonsri wrote:Correct. The labour cost from a couple of sources is around THB 1800 per m2 in that area for a slab on the ground. That is about the same as the Phayao experience. Have not yet negotiated on the form of contract, whether all in including materials or labour plus buy our own. Contact thus far has been quite preliminary and Thai/Thai. It could become more difficult when the farang appears on the scene.

1800/sqm is spot on. generally things are easier if you source materials yourself - can find better prices and can "upgrade" if you see something you like better yourself very easily, without having to go through a builder and explain i want this tile instead not that tile etc.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby payebacs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 am

Max. Why is it that you chose small red brick as oppose to large Qcon blocks or the like? I think this house is excellent!
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby DrDave » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 am

5 years after completion, I guess its time to post a picture of the completed house. As I mentioned - the house is occupied by wife's sister, who does absolutely no maintenance on the house and grounds - so it looks a bit dreary.

IMG_0189.jpg
Completed house - 5 years after construction.
DrDave

Postby gliffaes » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:35 am

DrDave wrote:5 years after completion, I guess its time to post a picture of the completed house. As I mentioned - the house is occupied by wife's sister, who does absolutely no maintenance on the house and grounds - so it looks a bit dreary.

IMG_0189.jpg

Better late than never,hmmmmm yes I find Thais have little interest in keeping things looking good, I find it disheartening, nothing seems to get taken care of except those bloomin spirit houses......maybe I should just build a full size one to live in and then the locals will keep it all tidy for free????
Almost finishing my own cheapo house now reckon it will be in the 150k- 170k bracket when done but then 90% of labour was just me and labour is a fair chunk of the builds these days at 25+%
gliffaes

Next

Return to Your Building Story