Issan Bungalow

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Issan Bungalow

Postby jazzman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:45 am

It's nice to see proper junction boxes being used. It will be interesting to see if they use proper connectors.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby bngldsmth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 pm

jazzman wrote:It's nice to see proper junction boxes being used. It will be interesting to see if they use proper connectors.

I made sure that they used wire nut connectors throughout. Also they wanted to run a circuit to each room and run the lights and sockets on the same wire. I think this is the 'normal' way of doing it here as everybody seemed surprised that I asked to have separate circuits for different diameters of wire. I tried to explain that having the lights on the same circuit (and thus same breaker) as the sockets would lead to the fuse being too strong to protect the 1.5mm wire for the lights. I don't really think this got through to them and they still think I'm a bit mad to spend money on the extra wire, conduit, etc. At least I will know that it is a safe installation at the end of the day.

ben :)

bngldsmth

Postby bngldsmth » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:03 pm

All the ceilings are now up and the joints have been taped and plastered. The picture below shows the living room ceiling which will have hidden lights around the edge. Most of the walls have had there first coat of paint and the kitchen is taking shape now. It feels like the end is in site now, i'm really looking forward to having it all done and being able to stay there.

thanks,

bngldsmth

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 am

bngldsmth wrote:
jazzman wrote:It's nice to see proper junction boxes being used. It will be interesting to see if they use proper connectors.

I made sure that they used wire nut connectors throughout. Also they wanted to run a circuit to each room and run the lights and sockets on the same wire. I think this is the 'normal' way of doing it here as everybody seemed surprised that I asked to have separate circuits for different diameters of wire. I tried to explain that having the lights on the same circuit (and thus same breaker) as the sockets would lead to the fuse being too strong to protect the 1.5mm wire for the lights. I don't really think this got through to them and they still think I'm a bit mad to spend money on the extra wire, conduit, etc. At least I will know that it is a safe installation at the end of the day.

Unfortunately the flikr site is taking too long to respond, so I can't view your images. However, from what you describe, what your electrician wants to do is definitely NOT the way they do things here or anywhere else. You are perfectly correct that 1.5 mm wire is not suitable for sockets. It is advisable to use a proper electrician rather than general labourers who 'think' the know what to do. Ask to see his BWS or BWCh certificate. My electrician who has been working for me for three years is qualified and very good, but he still occasionally needs reminding, or he sometimes lets his team get on with things without correctly explaining or checking their work.
You must use 2.5 mm wire for the sockets. 1.5 mm wire can only be used for very low powered things such as lighting circuits.
The lighting and sockets must be on separate circuits. A 10A MCB is ok for the lights, and a 16A or 20A is enough for the sockets. Be sure to include an RCCB in your consumer unit.

Everything you need to know about proper electric circuit installation is in the various threads on the Electric forum, and you can see the equipment you need here: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... p?album=10
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby wee jimmy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:42 pm

The house looks great, the build quality is good :D what have you spent so far to get to this stage??
wee jimmy

Postby bngldsmth » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 pm

wee jimmy wrote:The house looks great, the build quality is good :D what have you spent so far to get to this stage??

Thanks for the comment jimmy, the house had cost around 600,000 baht to get it to the stage it was at before we started this years work. So far this year we have probably spent around 150-200,000 baht but that includes appliances, air con, shower and some furniture. I must admit I haven't been through every bill and costed the project out to the nearest baht, life's too short for that and it doesn't help to bring the money back! :lol:

Hope this helps and good luck with your future plans,

bngldsmth

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:24 am

hi Ben still following just think for the same money you could A=buy a nice carB=a mobile home C have the satisfaction of knowing you designed and built your own place

C being the most satisfying way to go the place is looking great just think next time how bored you will be when you can actually go there with no pressure and a list of must do,s
How about some more pics.
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby bngldsmth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 am

geordie wrote:hi Ben still following just think for the same money you could A=buy a nice carB=a mobile home C have the satisfaction of knowing you designed and built your own place

C being the most satisfying way to go the place is looking great just think next time how bored you will be when you can actually go there with no pressure and a list of must do,s
How about some more pics.

Hello geordie, you're right that it is satisfying seeing it all come together now. When we first started, this was just going to be a small bungalow for the mother-in-law and somewhere for us to stay whilst in the village. Now it has turned into my baby and I must admit that I have ended up putting some of my own money in to be able to use better materials/finish etc. It will be a bit strange next year to be able to stay there without doing trips to global house/homepro every day! However the story wont be over for a while yet, next year I want to add a garage/utility/gym building next to the bungalow. Also for the future I would like to add a nice boundary wall/gate, borehole/tank/pump (for a decent water pressure for the shower), swimming pool, etc., etc.... :shock: :lol:

I think something like this will never be finished but at least we will have somewhere nice to stay from now on.

No pictures yesterday as most of the building team had a day off to celebrate the birth of the foreman's first child (maybe there will be a few sore heads there today!).

Will take some more pics today and upload later.

thanks

ben :D
bngldsmth

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:07 am

Working on the place once its habitable is not so bad when you knock off and have your home comforts around you and as you say not so many shopping trips less pressure all round so the next stages become enjoyable??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:13 pm

bngldsmth wrote:I think something like this will never be finished but at least we will have somewhere nice to stay from now on.

My sentiment too. Still not finished, and I might even pop my clogs before it is; but it gives me something to do rather than sit at a concrete table in front of a corner shop and drink beer all day.
Your house looks very nice, and while I was still a bachelor it is the kind of thing I was considering building for myself on the shores of the huge reservoir near Nong Kung Sri (I love sailing) before I got married and built something bigger in my wife's village. The motel is nearly finished, and it represents a very similar amount of work to your bungalow. The next projects are a large sala, the restaurant and a perimeter wall, and finally laying down a garden.
I have posted the BOQ of the motel with all costs of materials and labour.
jazzman

Postby bngldsmth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Things are still coming along well. The outside painting should be finished in the next couple of days and the kitchen is almost done. We had a bit of a problem with the kitchen with cutting the large tiles to accommodate the sink unit. The tiling man thought that the tiles should be cut to allow the top of the sink to fit just below tile level and then fill in the gap between with grout. Apparently this is the way it is usually done??!! :roll: Anyway I got him to redo it with the tiles going under the lip of the sink to give a proper fitted look. Afterwards they all agreed that 'my way' looked better so maybe the next thai kitchen will be done properly from the word go. I guess this just emphasises the need to 'micro manage' everything that is going on at the site. I must say though that his mistake was made through ignorance and the rest of his work has been really good and he takes an obvious pride in his job.

bngldsmth

Postby bngldsmth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Today saw the kitchen virtually completed and the first coats of paint have gone on the ceilings and walls. With any luck these should be the last pictures until the house is fully completed in the next couple of days.

bngldsmth

Postby paulm » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:47 am

How is the bungalow build now? Would love to see more photos. I too built a bungalow style home in the Isaan area and finished it in February. It would be great to get together when you are back in Thailand. This is the link to the home we have in Nonmuang (Nongbua)

<wrong place to advertise the bungalow...... Dozer 4/18/09>. This is a fabulously quiet village ith lots of potential to buy land and build a great home. Sorry I forgot the introduction: Hi I am Paul and you can email me at <no emails> if you would like to chat.

Paul
paulm

Postby jazzman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:35 am

bngldsmth wrote: The tiling man thought that the tiles should be cut to allow the top of the sink to fit just below tile level and then fill in the gap between with grout. Apparently this is the way it is usually done??!! :roll:

Hi,

You are right again! It's not the way it's usually done; the problem is that the guy is doing his best but has never seen a kitchen sink before. He's therefore guessing how it should be installed because Thai culture forbids him from asking how it should be done.
jazzman

Postby bngldsmth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello all,

Sorry for the very long time since my last post. :oops: Once we moved into the house there was no more internet without a trip to either Nong Khai or Udon and I hate sitting in internet cafes, jostling for space with the local kids playing games. We are now back in the UK so no more excuses!

These are the pictures of the finished house, we had no more problems with getting it finished thankfully and we are very happy with the end result. :D

Main Bedroom, should have made the bed! :oops:

Second Bedroom

Lounge/Dining room:

Kitchen:

Bathroom:

Since the pictures were taken we have added insect screens and when money allows next year we will probably add some window bars/metalwork. Also left to do is build a garage and maybe a bit of landscaping/driveway. Of course the list of possible things to do is endless but at least we have a nice place to stay now while we are there. We blew the budget a bit this year with buying wooden furniture/fitted kitchen but it's hard to resist once you get going! I haven't kept detailed accounts for the build cost (it only gets depressing and doesn't make it any cheaper! :lol: ) but I think the total cost for the build including appliances/furniture is 8-900,000 baht.

Thanks to all those who have followed the build progress, I will add more next year once work recommences.

ben :D
bngldsmth

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story