Issan Bungalow

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Issan Bungalow

Postby thaifly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:32 pm

gidday..bngld smth..its the thaifly frommae rim..great pics.different build to what we have seen on C.T.H. as jassy said .......i would be very interested in break up of prices in particular labour...and a nice short story to go with it....it certainly aroused the natives on C.T.H. red cards and all...again nice work..ITS a RED CARD DOZER GIDDAY TO ALL...ITS THE THAIFLY FROMMAE RIM
thaifly

Postby bngldsmth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:47 pm

thaifly wrote:gidday..bngld smth..its the thaifly frommae rim..great pics.different build to what we have seen on C.T.H. as jassy said .......i would be very interested in break up of prices in particular labour...and a nice short story to go with it....it certainly aroused the natives on C.T.H. red cards and all...again nice work..ITS a RED CARD DOZER GIDDAY TO ALL...ITS THE THAIFLY FROMMAE RIM

Thanks for the reply thaifly :)
As mentioned all the receipts are with the inlaws in Thailand but I will try to post more detail once we get back at the end of this month. I hope we don't find that our builder has ripped us off, we had been quite happy with him up till now! :D

Cookieboy wrote:<edit dozer 2/16>

geordie wrote:

<edit dozer 2.16>[/quote]

off topic geordie[/quote]

That's piqued my interest, any chance someone could PM me about what was said. :?: :?: :D I hope I haven't caused any offense with anything I have said, that certainly wouldn't be my intention.

thanks

ben :D
bngldsmth

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 pm

ben you do not want to know really sufice to say Dozer very rarely intervenes nothing you said or done but an ofensive coment by a n other
Have you a rough idea of costs to date
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby bngldsmth » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:30 pm

We arrived back in Thailand last week and have been up at the house for the past few days. There weren't too many horrors waiting for us, the biggest problem is the windows. Around many of them there are large gaps between the frames and the window. I have been told by the family that this is because the frames and windows have been made from wood which was too new and not dried out properly before being worked on. I guess this could be a factor but the gaps seem so big that I wonder how well they were fitted in the first place. I have had a chat with the builder and he will add some additional wood batons to the frames to hide the gaps. When its all vanished it should look ok and there should be a reasonable seal.

Anyway the rest of the house I'm quite happy with, the tiling seems to have been done well and there are no nasty cracks in the plaster work. They seem to have completely sealed the eaves so i am going to get the builder to put some screened vents in under the eaves to allow some roof ventilation. I am also considering getting a roof chimney/spinning vent fitted but I think I will wait and see how it is after the ceiling insulation is put in.

We have had a couple of quotes for the rest of the work and the best so far is 42500 baht labour for ceiling (110m2 plaster board type including fitting insulation), electrics, painting inside + outside & all woodwork varnished. Any opinions as to how realistic this quote is would be greatly appreciated.

Bathroom needs a bit of a clean :oops:

The back garden goes back as far as the second fence so there will be plenty of room for the pool and tennis court in the future!

Thanks for looking,

ben :D
bngldsmth

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:56 pm

bngldsmth wrote:We have had a couple of quotes for the rest of the work and the best so far is 42500 baht labour for ceiling (110m2 plaster board type including fitting insulation), electrics, painting inside + outside & all woodwork varnished. Any opinions as to how realistic this quote is would be greatly appreciated.

That quotation is for 141 man-days, or 35 days for a team of 4. Considering that it only takes 105 days to build a house like this completely finished, there would apear to be a possible miscalculation. Even if this price were to include all the materials, it would still be on the high side:

Materials (calculating on the high side):
ceiling 115 m2 plasterboard (1,20 x 2.40) @ 149 baht = 5,690
ceiling suspension wires and clips: = about 500 baht
Interior & extrior paint = 6,000 baht
Electrics : cable, sockets, switches, light holders, consumer unit = 7,600

materials total: 19,790

labour ( 4 men, 14 days) 16,800

That makes 36,590 baht.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby bngldsmth » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 am

jazzman wrote:
bngldsmth wrote:We have had a couple of quotes for the rest of the work and the best so far is 42500 baht labour for ceiling (110m2 plaster board type including fitting insulation), electrics, painting inside + outside & all woodwork varnished. Any opinions as to how realistic this quote is would be greatly appreciated.

That quotation is for 141 man-days, or 35 days for a team of 4. Considering that it only takes 105 days to build a house like this completely finished, there would apear to be a possible miscalculation. Even if this price were to include all the materials, it would still be on the high side:

Materials (calculating on the high side):
ceiling 115 m2 plasterboard (1,20 x 2.40) @ 149 baht = 5,690
ceiling suspension wires and clips: = about 500 baht
Interior & extrior paint = 6,000 baht
Electrics : cable, sockets, switches, light holders, consumer unit = 7,600

materials total: 19,790

labour ( 4 men, 14 days) 16,800

That makes 36,590 baht.

Thanks for your reply jazzman. I will certainly look into the labour cost and try and get it down. We have been told that the work will take until the end of the month so that's about 22 days. I think it would be difficult to get decent skilled people to work for less than about 300-350 per day + foreman at least 500 per day and other skilled labour like electrician 500 per day. Based on 22 days this would be about 37400 baht so I will try to renegotiate. The family seem to think the price quoted is fair as all workmen will be skilled and their previous work which we have seen is of a good standard. However I fully accept and appreciate your point that the price is high and will seriously look into getting the price down.

I'm afraid that the prices you have quoted for materials don't really match what I have found going round the shops the last couple of days. Electrics come to over 20k (eg double sockets @149 baht x 18 = 2682, wire 2.5mm x 100m 1887, lights + bulbs 4700, etc.). Paint is at least 10-15000 depending on the quality and allowing for 1 primer & 2 top coats. We got prices for the ceiling materials today and they came to over 11k.

Thanks again for your reply, having another viewpoint from someone not close to the situation is very helpful.

ben :)
bngldsmth

Postby jazzman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:33 am

Ben,
I'm currently building an 80 m2 motel, that's four rooms complete with bathrooms, recessed wiring, 4 double flush sockets and two lights in each room, plasterboard ceilings, floors fully tiled throughout, one coat of primer and two top coats. The labour price for the entire job is 80,000 baht, including the electrician and the ceiling men.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:06 pm

EDITED BY THAIFLY
thaifly

Postby bngldsmth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 am

Yesterday saw the start of work on the ceiling, as you can see in the pictures they hang the frame on metal straps from the roof joists. We also bought all the sockets, switches and junction boxes. We went with Panasonic gear in the end. It was the same price as the btcino we were going to use and my wife felt it was a more trusted brand.

thanks for looking,

bngldsmth

Postby jazzman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:05 am

I''e just asked the ceiling man to do circular recesses in the plasterboard for the ceiling fans - this will cost a tiny bit extra on the labour.
jazzman

Postby bngldsmth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:57 pm

jazzman wrote:I''e just asked the ceiling man to do circular recesses in the plasterboard for the ceiling fans - this will cost a tiny bit extra on the labour.

Hello Jazzman,

We decided not to go for ceiling fans in the end as I prefer the versatility of mobile fans. We are having flat ceilings in all the rooms apart from the lounge where the builder is doing a fancy design where the middle of the ceiling is dropped down by 20cm with recesses above for hidden lights. It's easier for me to show pictures once it's done than try to explain here, but it didn't cost much extra and apparently it's the latest fashion (which was enough to sway my wife!).

bngldsmth

Postby geordie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm

looking good Ben making progress
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Ceiling costs

Postby jazzman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 am

Just for the record, the cost of the materials for the plasterboard ceilings for our motel, including plasterboard, rails, clips, screws, tape, plaster, came to exactly 8,257 baht.
All material was purchased at GlobalHouse, Udon Thani, on invoice No/142444 dated 10 March 2009.
That works out at almost exactly 100 baht per square metre.

Cost of labour:
3 men for 5 days @ 350 baht per day: 5,250 baht

Total cost: 13,507 baht or 168 baht per m2.

- lest than the cost of tiles for a tiled floor, not including labour, cement, and grout.

These are the quantities for:
4 rooms at a total of 68.80 m2
Four bathrooms using special plasterboard for humid areas at a total of 11.20 m2

Materials:
Plasterboard 240 x 120 x 9mm ยิมชั่มบอร์ด-บ้าน9มม.ลาด 30 @ 149 baht each
Plasterboard for wet rooms ยิมชั่มบอร์ด-กันซื่น9มมใลาด-บ้าน 5 @ 225 baht each
Rails ชีลาย-บาง(สีขาว-เทา) 100 @ 24 baht each
Clips แากสังกะสี 8ฟุต 80 @ 7 baht each
Screws ล้อคกิ้งคีย์ 3.15 200 @ 1.20 baht each
Plaster ปูนยิมชั่ม-R--300 25 Kg bag (BPB) 2 bags @ 195 baht each
Screws whiteตะปูขาว18มิล 18mm 1 box @ 68 baht
Screws plasterboard สกรูยิงแผ่นยิมชั่ม1 x 63J (25mm) 7 boxes @ 52 baht box
Jointing tape ผ้ายิมชั่ม 7 rolls @ 18 baht each

Labour (direct employed)
3 workers, 5 days @ 350 baht man/day: 5,250

Conclusion:
NOTE 1: A contractor will probably charge double for the labour.
NOTE 1: On a lump-sum quotation, a contractor will add 30 - 100% profit to the materials costs.
jazzman

Postby bngldsmth » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:43 pm

geordie wrote:looking good Ben making progress

thanks geordie :)

jazzman wrote:Just for the record, the cost of the materials for the plasterboard ceilings for our motel, including plasterboard, rails, clips, screws, tape, plaster, came to exactly 8,257 baht.
All material was purchased at GlobalHouse, Udon Thani, on invoice No/142444 dated 10 March 2009.
That works out at almost exactly 100 baht per square metre.

Cost of labour:
3 men for 5 days @ 350 baht per day: 5,250 baht

Total cost: 13,507 baht or 168 baht per m2.

- lest than the cost of tiles for a tiled floor, not including labour, cement, and grout........

Hello jazzman, the prices that we paid for the materials are very similar to yours as we also used global house and homemart (who were a bit cheaper for some things). The total cost of materials was higher but to be honest i don't have the time to go through all the receipts to compare quantities and quality etc. I do know that we shopped around for the best deal and have only bought what was necessary to do the job to the standard I wanted.

Our labour costs are considerably higher than yours, it's hard to work out exactly as the 42,000 labour cost is for ceiling, painting and electrics. At the end of the day the family (who are paying for everything), were insistent on using the contractor that they know and trust.

Anyway, work is progressing well on the bungalow. The ceiling frames are nearly all in and the electrics are coming along well. As you can see in the photo below the electrician initially didn't extend the conduit all the way to ceiling level. However I didn't see the point of putting the wire in conduit throughout the rest of the roof and then leaving patches exposed for mice to munch on. He has now redone it with conduit all the way down as I wanted. Also you can see in the photos that the insulation we bought is a bit fragile as the silver covering is already torn in some places. I now know why (at global house) it was half the price of other stores. At least the silver is largely intact on the top surface and the fiberglass will still do it's job.

thanks for looking, ben :)
bngldsmth

Postby bngldsmth » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm

We had good progress on the house today. The electrical wiring is almost complete and the ceilings are coming along very well. Work also started on the kitchen. As you can see on the plan below I have gone for an L shaped design using the normal concrete thai style construction. In the end we went for plastic door units and wall cupboards. Our budget wouldn't really stretch to wooden units + we were concerned about the durability of wood, especially with the cheaper wooden units. The doors are made by a company called King and we got them from homepro for about 1780 baht for a double door, 3100 draw unit, 1090 single door, etc. They were nearly twice as expensive as some of the plastic doors, however on close examination they were clearly stronger (about twice as heavy) and their manufacturing tolerances seemed good as all the doors opened perfectly and were properly aligned. The cheaper options often had the doors hung unevenly and some were difficult to open & close.

thanks for looking,

bngldsmth

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story