166mtrs 5 weeks 1 dead roofer??

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 166mtrs 5 weeks 1 dead roofer??

Postby geordie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:06 am

finally got son to post pictures in gallery under geordie i dont know if jazman or dozer could put a link for me to the gallery i will put in some script gradually
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pklongball » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Creating a link to you're gallery is easy. I did this one for you.

Geordie house!

Follow this link to understand how to use BB code to do many things such as creating links.

BB Code Help!

You can see I added a link in my signature below so easy to click to MY Gallery
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby geordie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 pm

thanks pklongballl for both the link and the advice the photos are pretty usless representation of five weeks hard work overcoming all sorts of hurdles but the mum in law does love her new house and want the old one left for visitors sons to stay althoug she was complaining her bedroom and toilet are cold ???
geordie

Postby kerrysum » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:34 am

geordie wrote:Image

as you can see from the photo:s the hpuse by thai standards is not bad the etan tractor in the drive was a project all the timber was replaced by myself as termites had been busy I must have done a good job of it because on the next visit it had been sold
The main problem was that when the house was built there was a dirt road and when the road was made it ended up higher than the house
Another of the photo,s shows the driveway being repaired as the pipe had collapsed at this point there was still drainage that could cope to the right of the property as at the time there was an open ditch later the ditch had a pipe installed at road level putting it above the floor level
As we all know water does not easily run uphill this was the kiss of death for the downstairs which began to flood regularly a problem that became worse over time as the neighbours built up their land forcing more water onto the road whitch as usual ran downhill
The front wall of the property had been built by the family but the sides and back were finished by builders at my expense
This effectivly retained water quite well as the materials and money left for drainage became another thailand mystery

So is this your house Geo?
Just asking kerrysum.....
kerrysum

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Actually :lol: :lol: :lol: its the mother in laws old house the pictures were put on there to show the issue of road higher than the property
This worked well for years untill the local goverment put a pipe in the drainage ditch allowing the water that used to drain away to run into the property
The aim was to remove the upper floor and relocate to the back of the property as a temporary home for the family we sent the money over there as this was to be done before we got there and a nice new bungalow built :D after the ground was raised accordingly

From the start it went wrong ? before i got there they put the fill in place ? it looked like a moonscape and too much of it
The house was 20ft shy of where it should have been the power telephone and toilet were all suposed to have been reconected (money gone)and a total screw up was what i found instead

The few photo,s i have were taken on a second camera the camera with the main photo,s was stolen they are in the gallery Jazman popped in to see me on the way through the area and i was glad to get the benifit of his advice for the project which was by then well under way the only rebuke he gave me was for using too much concrete and wasting money :lol:
i can live with that but as i was building on very fresh fill (days old) i dug down to terra firma
below the fill and oversized everything because i did not want the embarassment of a phone call saying there were cracks :roll: In fact almost three years now and the only complaint i have had is the downpipe from the original roof fell off and cause water to penitrate one wall
But not my responsobility i built a 3 bed simple layout bungalow beneath the main (upper floor) Which was suposed to have been sold and removed and again more money vanished :roll: But the good news is nothing has fallen down and the only real complaint is mum in laws bedroom and on,suite shower toilet are very cold in the mornings :lol: :lol: not some thing you hear every day over there and after rain within ten mins the water has gone off the property probably to do with the two 4" drains from back to front and the whole place is concreted over sloping from back to front apart from about 5-6 meters of garden at the rear

And i am overall happy for a few thousand pounds the mum in law got a new place to live (and kept the old )i got a trial run at working with thais :shock: so when i do finally get over there i am hoping that my own place will have as many REAL problems =very few
geordie

Previous

Return to Your Building Story