166mtrs 5 weeks 1 dead roofer??

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 166mtrs 5 weeks 1 dead roofer??

Postby geordie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Sunday was a feel good day with the post holes three quarters filled wtih concrete and the ground beams front to back well under way the cross beams right to left were left untill we could get the posts located and save them falling down trenches with them
Lunch time i nipped out and bought my tuk tuk axle .two wheels with a lump of heavy duty rebar between them . at BHT 350 a great investment for moving the heavy posts into place
I think when i arrived back with the wheels they thought i had sunstroke but one builder caght on imediatly and explained to the others what they were for wanting to see if it would work the posts were imediatly located ajacent to the holes they were to be located in they carried out this job with enthusiasm now it require minimal effort
Monday was to be post raising day
Again progress on the monday was spectacular with all the posts stood into place this was acheived by using nylon rope tied off to the garden wall rather than scraps of timber as props once up four of the guys started to true them up for alignment and vertical the rest went on digging ground beams and making cages with reinforcing
Also by now we had a test hole down one of the new pillars holding the old house house it was no suprise to find the posts were sat on the old floor with a few shovelfuls of concrete
around them to overcome this we drilled the posts through and took several lengths of rebar through the posts thickening the ground beams to give them good support
Tuesday was the same program the last of the posts were trued up and everyone on digging
and cages by the end of tuesday we were ready to concrete the left hand side of the house
from front to back to slab height 5 pairs of wellies were bought??
Wedensday we poured concrete with a vengence given the weak support on the middle posts we poured an 8"" 200mm slab and tied the floor mesh to the suport posts this ate another 15 metres of concrete puting us close to the 30-35 mtrs total i had estimated for the whole job
Wedensday the wife bolted for bangkok to pick up my delivery from seven seas containing my tools i had shipped over with a load of house hold stuff only two week late
Her brother managed to smash my car up doing this ?? usual story pissed i now need a bumper and a spray job
Still i was pleased to get my hands on my tools even having to pay £175-BHT8750 i think i came out on top the tools were pretty mutch what Jazman recomended as a basic requirement in a previous post on the subject minus a couple of the larger items bought locally also replacing my circular saw and 4" grinder pushed the bill up these were left in our house in rangsit as my wife thought i would not need them or my second cordless
CHOP SAW / CUT OFF SAW BHT3750 GB price-£175-BHT8750 a good saving
Circular saw wood BHT1750 GB roughly same but better quality
4" grinder BHT 850 GB Buy a box of 25 discs grinder free

Genrally speaking the tools i looked at were expensive and did not look that well made i cannot coment on reliability although the boltcroppers i bought snapped the grinder packed up third week the circular saw was a clasic first time in use he cut through the power cord
the blade should have been a grinder he / they would not hesitate to cut nails with it genrally speaking watching them perform with power tools it soon clear why they own none
Wedensday also saw the other half of the slab poured on the right hand side of the house
only 11 mtrs this time as we had gone over centre with the first pour encompasing the middle posts pocket were left for toilet and kitchen waste
A problem encountered at this point was that the family being budhist iwas careful to mimic the previous layout ie mums bed same direction budda room same direction toilet wrong direction????
The toilet was in fact facing the same way it has for fifteen to twenty years But imagine my suprise when i was told its wrong and for all those years everyone sat side saddle???
So the mum in law lost what was to be her budda room and now has an on suite toilet and shower
Even stranger is that both neighbours face totally diferent directions still not worth the argument and budda will have to share a room with her and for the few days of the year i stay there i have a proper flush toilet and maybe hot water if its not down the farm i must take some security screws out there just to slow them down
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby geordie » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:37 pm

So now just over a week and we have teporary electrics throughout
floor slab for the house laid
posts erected x9 - 2 to go for canopy
I was impressed given the amount of extra work digging out because of the fill we were doing ok but still had to get rid of our home made mountain of surplus dirt and urgently because of a lack of room for materials
the answer was suprisingly simple let the neighbours know that not only could they have it free they could use the wheelbarrows to move it
They tackled the chore with enthusiasm two neighbours taking it both not wanting the other to get more the dirt was gone in two days and they worked till ten at night to make sure they did not lose out
If you have a project like this use women they put the men to shame the stamina they had was incredible
In the meanwhile we had at last started putting up the walls and the roof was underway
Having entrusted the men to mark the levels out for the posts it was confirmed became obvious they could not be trusted
Incredibly the posts were plumb but the variance in height was 2"-3" with the exception of
the centre post on the rear wall 2" out at the top it would apear Khun Pa needed some rope so he cut the rope holding the post upright
this happened after everyone had gone home and by morning nobody particularly relished the thought of diging out a couple of foot of reinforced concrete to try and straighten it
Given my frame of mind (very pi---d off) i decided to make it a feature
So now the back wall is farang it has a belly self inflicted by her dad
The original stairs were put back in situ making it easier for acsess to the upstairs although they were three treads short as in the original house the first three treads were concrete
concrete blocks were used with shuttering and the concrete was replaced completing the stairs worked out perfect so by some sort of miracle the floor to ceiling height is exactly the same as before purely by acident but impressed the builders who thought i had planned it that way
Given that the old house was to be taken out next year i did not worry too mutch about it
The roofer requested that his team be paid 250BHT (each) a day this was agreed
Day two he decided it was not enough and demanded 300BHT a day because the work was dangerous but settled for 290BHT (each)
Day three nothing and day four the bombshell He wanted 400 BHT for him and his brother
and 350BHT for the labourer because the work is dangerous (a bungalow)
At this point i laughed shook his hand thanked him for his time and wished him well with his
search for work as i no longer needed him
Given that his father was my number one labourer i softened the blow by offering his brother and the labourer the oportunity to continue This they did and minus him the work actually speeded up
The mountain was starting to acumulate again as we were digging out at the sides of the house for drainage and footpaths
geordie

Postby geordie » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:49 pm

geordie

Postby geordie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 am

the photos above show the reinstated stairs with the shortfall being made up i chose to pad them out with blocks to make their later removal simpler completing one of the pictures is my (not) camera shy wife
By now you will have noticed the lack of dayxday pictures that she was so careful to take at my insistance this is because on new years day somebody gave themselves a present of my wifes camera minus of course the leads charger ect the camera was no great loss the big disapointment was the 200+ pictures on it
The blame fell squarely on my shoulders for its loss as she was having to order materials and act as an interpreter and breath all at the same time
By this time we had contracted out for a price the suspended ceilings and the windows and main door to a local company ran by a lady who had a substantial and beautiful house not oo far away
The deal was that every time we completed a couple of rooms she would put the ceilings in imediately
Against my wishes she was given two thirds of the money to buy all the materials at once unfortunately my cautions proved right and we had a hell of a time getting her to come and do the work
Her son who was 50% of the workforce would after many calls and a visit to her shop turn up with the other 50% of the install team a deaf guy after many 2-3 hour shifts with only the two bedroom ceilings completed i had enough and pointed out that unless she was prepared to
bring the job up to speed i was more than happy to pay her for the quantity of work done on a per meter rate she had quoted and get someone else to complete the job
Of course she had blown the money without buying the materials in the ensuing argument she insisted that we give her the rest of the money
I insisted that she go an f--k herself she was not getting another baht untill she made some progress somthing that did not go down well with my wife who actually felt sorry for her and wanted to give her the money
I dug my heels in and told her i would go to the police and a lawyer she had stolen the money
and by now she had overshot all agreed targets
this upset her greatly as it was new years eve and she was closing down for four days
It would apear my tough s--t atitude was not apreciated and at my insistance her men worked a whole six hours on new years eve to complete the living room frames for the ceiling and windows i agreed i would pay their salary for two days
One of the conditions i imposed was that they would return to work after new years day
Strangely enough this was the day that the camera disapeared???
My wife was still sympathetic to her after all she was thai and as a farang what do i know
so supevising the ceilings was left to my wife which is why the ceilings are uneven and badly installed the good news is i interfered with the windows and they turned out not too bad as did the front door
This lady is on the same list as my travel agent never use again in fact if it was in the uk i could probably do her for vandalism
Again backing up cautions about dealing with contracted out work in thailand my wife still insists that i do not understand thais i still insist that i understand when the p is being taken
geordie

Postby geordie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:06 am

the other photo of interest is the one with the two guys in it the old boy in this was unbelievable and probably the best labourer i had he was not fast but he was like a machine he just kept going all the time
the other thing of interest is the height of the fill thet they are working on this was the amount height we removed from the plot 40x20mtrs
the wall you can see used to be just over two meters high the plot the other side is now one meter lower so no prize for guessing who is going to flood next time it rains
However they did benifit from the surplus fill we disposed of they tipped it around the house to a depth of about 1/2-mtr above their floor level adding depth to their future paddling pool
The tractor is what we used to break up the soil/clay it strugled to do it with penetration of only a couple of inches
geordie

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Just a little bit today writers block ???
Due to another posting I have been forced to look at costings and assumed wrongly that the family taxation system had been implemented
I do not deny it definately was to some degree
Because the intent was speed/overtheft the final budget was around the 500,000 mark£10,000 uk it apears that i wasted quarter of that
When i figure a way of letting the costings be known without the qualifying coments of idiot
i will post them later today HONEST
geordie

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:24 am

it would apear that my budget build got a bit out of control on the budget??
per meter it worked out at BHT-3250
Thaifly cited a price of BHT-2850 per meter for his place a great price so i started to question my prices
One thing is for certain buying from the village is like buying from a corner shop you pay a premium
Glass blocks were one sutch item at bht-93 locally in Pattaya next door to i think its big c
same blocks bht-43
Kitchen cabinet doors looked to be around 25% cheaper as did door furniture and doors with a far greater selection than was available locally paint followed the same trend in fact i bought two panasonic showers on special offer saving BHT-300 but even the plastic toilet tank was BHT150 cheaper so in spite of the promised discounts i think the mark ups were high in the first place but buying locally was easier than a trip to khon khaen in an ancient nisan pickup
Had i listened to Jazman who visited me i suspect the savings would have been substantial
he gave me full directions to the store in Khon khaen but i was too busy to go there

My answer the next time will be to make a list of materials buy them in one hit

Another home goal was my bonus system to drum up some loyalty
seemed like a great idea at the time we paid between BHT20--BHT50 a day over the local labour rates dependent on skills a labourer asked bht200 got BHT220 ect
it worked but added about BHT 12500 to wage bill

7 day loyalty bonus gave everyone an extra weeks wage BHT 21250

morning / afternoon drinks average BHT 250 = BHT 8750

Food for lunches 200-250 bht day =BHT 7875

Booze in evenings with soft drinks BHT350-400 =BHT13125

So keeping the workforce loyal and happy =BHT55500

Given that figure is 10% of the job i dont think we could have done it without the loyalty it bought but it did give me a shock when i saw it

House move quoted at BHT15000 was screwed up and not completed this resulted in
Electrician making safe and reconecting phone and power BHT 3500
the next part is dificult removing roughly 225 cubemtrs of dirt fill that had set like iron suposedly in a week
This was done in several hits and trenches meter cubes were dug at the same time
At a guess 6 men wasted 5 days on this removal over the course of the build BHT8400
Jcb and truck hire to get rid of second mountain BHT 4500 the neighbours kindly removed the fist lot
Extra concrete because of the above screw up 50-60 metres Jazman witnessed the 8-10" slab the posts were sat on one and a half to two metres cubed BHT 84000
removal of front of house reframed with iron and new hardwood cladding to get rid of rot and balcony around 20000 BHT requred because house move not completed
BHT 50000 was given to wifes family to cause the above problems in the first place i recon they probably spent BHT 25000 at most and there is more chance of finding out what happend on the mary celeste than getting a straght answer what happened to the money by the way her sister gave them the extra to waste in spite of me telling them not to put any fill the intention being a crawlspace another BHT2500 wasted

Any way the build worked and got finished to my mind reasonable quality definately solid although nothing special in apearance
it is as jazman would say turnkey as evrything is done although the wife is now requesting a farrang kitchen???
A lot of the overspend was directly due to her family suprise suprise

one more thing the bonus system and food are not on my list of regrets

I think the store in pattaya is homemart inside carefour
geordie

Postby paulm » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:01 am

Where are you now with the build???
paulm

Postby geordie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:32 am

the build was completed in five weeks other than tiling one bathrom and some snagging work by the painter i supose really i ought to get my head around finishin the story
geordie

Postby paulm » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:45 am

It would be great to see the house from the outside if you have any photos. Wat do you think the total build came to?
paulm

Postby geordie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 am

have got very few photos someone decided on a christmass bonus of the wifes camera the costings are above on this page along with justification on why 25% of the budget was wasted removing fill dirt that was not supposed to have been there money stolen by her family extra concrete to compensate for having to dig throgh the fill to solid ground and a bonus system that worked a treat as speed was essential also having to build under and around the old house did not make it any cheaper the stolen money was sent out in advance to move the old house to the back of the plot and reconect the services it was moved only half the distance nothing was reconected and they tipped 1 1/2 mtrs dirt in there
geordie

Postby rubik101 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:08 am

geordie, a salutory tale. I hope it all turns out alright.
btw, you smoke too much. Live long and enjoy!
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby geordie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:07 pm

With the in laws i have i am tempted to take up drinking and become an alcaholic one of her brothers is a teacher he has one grown up married daughter she recently bought him a pickup he uses said pickup to take his mother to hospital then asks me to send some money for diesel i declined yes i smoke too many but i have good reason
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Geordie, I enjoyed you narrative but was confused about many of your post as I thought you were talking about my in-laws not the Mom and Dad but the siblings. It is really a shame about the camera possibly you could leave the attachments accessible so it could be of some use again. I know it cost you but I did enjoy and hopefully I will be able to cut some of my cost in building when the move to Chiang Mai as it is 700 Km. from here. Again good stuff.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 pm

thank you for the kind words sorry to hear you have the same morals in your family over there but i think its quite common although most people do not want to admit it i have a few more poor pictures from a diferenrt camera mostly rushed around at the end of the build but with no heart in it really
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story