Phala Beach – Our House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Phala Beach – Our House

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:14 pm

pklongball wrote:
fredlk wrote:
pklongball wrote:My do it yourself sprinkler system is doing the job for us and making the lawn and tree watering quite a bit easier.

It's good to hear that everything is as you wanted it. We all hope that we are just as lucky or clever. :wink:
I know you talked about your sprinkler system before but maybe you could give a brief "do's and dont's" for us who are going down the same road, like what is the best distance between sprinklers, etcetera.
If I am not mistaken you also had a problem with water staining the walls. Is this sorted?
Fred.

Fred thanks for the comment and good wishes. I have been watching you're place go up and it looks very nice and Fluke and crew seem to be on the ball for you.

I will make a comment about my sprinkler system and try to be brief.

First off I did a bit of reading on several web sites about system design. The tutorials about design give you hints about proper coverage using the different heads available. I tried to absorb the things I thought would apply to me. I was not trying to make a complete system for every nook and cranny of the yard but to give me basic coverage of the majority of the area. I researched several brands and types of sprinkler heads. Cheap ones are just that, "cheap" and don't give you the coverage for the pressure you want to use. They also fail easily. I ended up buying a brand made in Israel name of Naan. These were impact heads good for the pressure and coverage I thought I wanted. I then experimented with a single pipe run across the back wall of our yard to see how many heads and how far apart they could be installed. It turns out that 4 or 5 heads gives me what I wanted. So I went about dividing the yard into zones to see where and how to lay out the pipes. I just used the natural lay of the yard which essentially is 4 rectangles of different sizes. I have the main supply pipe running around the perimeter of the yard with hose bibs so it was easy to plan a point to tap in to that pipe and place a valve for the given zone. I placed the valves(manual) so I can open/close them without getting a shower from that zone. I will eventually hire a company to come in and add an automatic control and solenoid valves.
I bought all the blue pipes and fittings and did all of the cutting and gluing myself. I laid out one zone at a time and tested it and then paid a local young man to bury it. I used all 1 inch 13.5 pipe and fittings and the risers to the heads are half inch. In a couple of areas where the head is too strong I added a small valve on that head to reduce the flow on just that one head.
My borehole with the Franklin 1hp pump supplies more than enough water to power up to 6 of the impact heads but if I did this another hose bib would have such low flow as not be usable so I limited any one zone to no more than 4 heads. Other types of heads this may be different.
I'm sure the pros go about this a lot differently and the Thai contractors even have their Thai way.
My DIY system is working for me and really saves dragging hoses and sprinklers around 3 or 4 times a week. When I have some extra cash I will add the automatic control so then I can sit back and relax.
We have a few spots that still require hand watering but thats not a big deal.

Not sure if I gave you some do's and don't's but this was the basics of what I did. The only wish was that the borehole water did not have so much iron in the water as my nice white walls are all rust stained now

I think every tutorial starts by saying to be sure to layout your coverage starting with the corners first and then fill in the open spots. Always use overlapping coverage from head to head. They go in to great detail saying how to figure pipe size and valves and all the big time stuff but I went for the basics.

Good luck with you're build project. :D :D :D

After posting this reply I looked back at several posts here and it seems I have said all this before in several other posts but I guess its worth covering again. The one point of burying the pipes and someone digging them up? I am not too concerned about but it is possible. I already have had to repair one head due to the garden man and his weed wacker.

Hi pk ... very similar experience to my own ...... but I was running short of wind and had read so many contradicting opinions on the web I decided to contract someone else to supply and install on this occasion. On the recommendation of 'the late' thaifly I also used Naan heads and am very happy with the product, also on the recommendation of 'chiangmaiexpat' I engaged a local company to supply the turf and install the sprinkler system. A total of 550 sq metre, which is adequately covered by six 'big head' Naan sprinklers at approximately 10 metre spacing; they have a capacity to cover 15 metres directly from my 1HP Franklin deep well submersible. Total supply and install was 25000THB ..... 20000THB for the turf which included grading levelling and weed-killing ..... and 5000THB all-in for the sprinkler system; which I consider to be a good deal as the Naan heads are in the region of 750THB per unit. It's a manual system in two phases, although the pump will easily [as pk mentioned] deliver full power to 6 heads and that's how I use it. from the control valves they used 1" [25mm] blue PVC and to the heads 3/4" [20mm] blue PVC. Personally I don't see the need for an automatic control valve system at this stage but as we eventually extend to cover the full 3 Rai I have no doubt that will change!

IMHO: The increased cost of buying the highest grade blue PVC pipe available is so minimal to us 'rich' Farang only a fool specifies [or allows to be specified] a lower quality ..... and watch them closely as they install it ... they should use the pipe cleaner [readily available] but very few do even though you are paying for it ..... AT VERY LEAST ensure that they apply the [top quality] solvent to both male and female joints on assembly. Solvents here don't come with an applicator and workers therefore use anything to hand [often their finger] you can buy them [for around 20-25THB] the small multi-head bamboo-handled brushes [available everywhere] which can be separated to provide disposable applicators

Good job pk ... strength to your elbow :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby pklongball » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:03 am

This site is one of the best I found for learning about watering systems.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/index.htm
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:32 am

pklongball wrote:This site is one of the best I found for learning about watering systems.
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/index.htm

Thanks. You sure are a veritable mine of information. :D
fredlk

Postby Janus » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi khun Pklongball,

I looked at your pictures and I think you have a very nice house.
In a few years when I'll be retired, my Thai wife and I will build a house in Saraburi where we have a 3 rai land.
Janus

Postby pklongball » Tue May 01, 2012 8:15 am

Janus,

Thanks for the kind words.

We have been in the place since late July 2009. Life is good so far. Most extra cash goes to the outdoor areas these days as the wife wants a beautiful garden. I hope to win the lottery soon as I would like to build a pool to make these very hot days a little more tolerable
pklongball

Postby MGV12 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 am

pklongball wrote:
We have been in the place since late July 2009. Life is good so far. Most extra cash goes to the outdoor areas these days as the wife wants a beautiful garden.

Hi PK ... good to hear that life is being kind to you ... apart from the heat that wears us all down.

When you get a chance it would be great to see some pics of the house and gardens three years on.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby gliffaes » Tue May 01, 2012 6:43 pm

MGV12 wrote:IMHO: The increased cost of buying the highest grade blue PVC pipe available is so minimal to us 'rich' Farang only a fool specifies [or allows to be specified] a lower quality ..... and watch them closely as they install it ... they should use the pipe cleaner [readily available] but very few do even though you are paying for it ..... AT VERY LEAST ensure that they apply the [top quality] solvent to both male and female joints on assembly. Solvents here don't come with an applicator and workers therefore use anything to hand [often their finger] you can buy them [for around 20-25THB] the small multi-head bamboo-handled brushes [available everywhere] which can be separated to provide disposable applicators

Good job pk ... strength to your elbow :)

Ive found a cheapo pack of toothbrushes works just fine then throw them away. The best Brand glue is made by the cleaner people henkel I think it has an elephant on it its quite thick whereas most is quite runny.
gliffaes

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:19 am

MGV12 wrote:
When you get a chance it would be great to see some pics of the house and gardens three years on.

Just a bump as you appear to be online :)

Putting a couple in this thread would no doubt encourage even more to go take a look at your impressive gallery.

MGV12

Postby pklongball » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:37 am

MG,

I have been meaning to post a few updates but?

No real reason just lazy I guess
pklongball

Postby kalasin.dk » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi pklongball

I am going to build an outside kitchen, and I have been inspired by your pump house. But with out walls. Can you remember the cost for that project (not with pump - only house)?
kalasin.dk

Postby pklongball » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 am

Kalasin,,,,as best as I can recall with the budget problems at that time we did the basic structure for about 110k baht for the foundation, floor, columns, one wall and roof. We have since finished it with 3 walls and windows and door and tiled around the building and added an extended roof between the tank wall and the perimeter wall
pklongball

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 am

pklongball wrote:MG,

I have been meaning to post a few updates but?

No real reason just lazy I guess

Good to see you are still checking in PK.

With your story telling skills I think you should get at it. :mrgreen:

And where is that gardening tale.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Previous

Return to Your Building Story